Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Had noticed the car was running what I thought was a bit too cold. According to the Torque App; coolant was sitting @ 78C on a steady M-Way cruise so decided to change the thermostat.

Ordered new one and two O-rings from main dealer.... about €65 for all if I remember correct.
    Dropped the undershield and drained about 2 litres from the drain v/v @ the bottom of the rad.
    Then eventually got the thermostat out of the head...... a strong pull finally dislodged it.
    As can be seen from the pics; their is a difference in the new and old so confirmed over the phone with the main dealer that the new / bigger one was okay. He confirmed that yes the old part had been superseded by the new.

[IMG][/img]tc3_zpsiqcnymqp.jpg

[IMG][/img]tc1_zpsjkc0iu5u.jpg

[IMG][/img]tc2_zpsdhrymtfr.jpg

Neat way of securing the stat to the fitting in that it clips in. Good design I think.

Anyway; put back in the drained coolant and ran the car @ idle RPM until the stat opened @ 88C according to the torque app.

Have driven it today knocking about and the temp tops out @ 92C or so then settles @ 88C or so when on the move.

Might improve the MPG now as I have been getting 32 to 34 MPG with mixed driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Good job! I'm just wondering do you all change your thermostats every so often or leave them until there is trouble? I've honestly never changed it in my car and I'm wondering if it's a good thing to be doing or to just leave it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I changed mine last week too, but only because i noticed on the first bit of cold weather that the temps were dropping off after a spin, and the heaters weren't blowing quite as hot as they would.

It was easy to notice as the car would stay at a high idle for a few seconds after stopping - then would drop down to the correct idle (I had always put it down to a stuck iscv) - now it drops straight to the correct idle, and it spits fire out through the vents.

I haven't tested the one that came out, but must have been stuck open because I instantly noticed the car running better, I reckon fuel consumption is probably slightly better too.

It's not really a maintenance item as such though I don't think, only worth changing if it shows signs it needs to be, or if you're doing some work on the cooling system anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

shietpilot wrote: »
    Good job! I'm just wondering do you all change your thermostats every so often or leave them until there is trouble? I've honestly never changed it in my car and I'm wondering if it's a good thing to be doing or to just leave it be?

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Old brakes:

400815.jpg

Old vs. new:

400816.jpg

400817.jpg

New in:

400818.jpg

Slightly used:

400819.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

shietpilot wrote: »
    Good job! I'm just wondering do you all change your thermostats every so often or leave them until there is trouble? I've honestly never changed it in my car and I'm wondering if it's a good thing to be doing or to just leave it be?[/QUOTE

My last car a Civic; was in its original thermostat when I parked it up at just under 200k miles. It's temp was always steady so never felt a need to change the stat.

NCT tonight. I had the engine light on. P0380 was coming up. Glow plugs. I fired in a new set earlier and cleared the code. So far so good.

The carpet in herselfs Yaris was coming out from under the trim around the doors. I got a can of spray auto adhesive and tackled it. I must say its great stuff. The car looks a lot neater for it too.

No pics as it was freezing!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Finally got a start on the passat! Only pictures ive taken so far. EGR delete going in curtosy of darkside developments. IMG_20161109_001857.jpg

pablo128 wrote: »
    NCT tonight. I had the engine light on. P0380 was coming up. Glow plugs. I fired in a new set earlier and cleared the code. So far so good.

The carpet in herselfs Yaris was coming out from under the trim around the doors. I got a can of spray auto adhesive and tackled it. I must say its great stuff. The car looks a lot neater for it too.

No pics as it was freezing!:o

That NCT is a joke. Nothing but a money racket. Pack of charlatans.

My car failed.:(

I need 2 front shocks, 2 rear wheel bearings, a corroded rear brake pipe replaced, and one of my indicator bulbs isn't orange enough. Stay tuned for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭crasy dash

pablo128 wrote: »
    That NCT is a joke. Nothing but a money racket. Pack of charlatans.

My car failed.:(

I need 2 front shocks, 2 rear wheel bearings, a corroded rear brake pipe replaced, and one of my indicator bulbs isn't orange enough. Stay tuned for updates.

Sisters car failed lately on a cracked lamp bracket and front bumper was loose.

Funny thing is the car is the exact same for probably 3-4years all that damage was done in the one bang and it never failed before in the previous 2 ncts.

Dreading my next nct ,my local centre has a right prick working there now I've been warned if I meet him to just ask for the fail sheet before the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I serviced the Micra on Friday last. Seeing as I had the use of the ramp in work I gave it a pretty comprehensive search for rust, we've had a few cars of the same generation in with very expensive corrosion on the front cross member lately.
    I am bloody delighted to say that there is no rust of any description on my Micra. :cool:

MAF is dodgy but to hell if I'm re/soldering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

I had a worn and partially shredded serpentine/fan belt on my 02 Corolla
    old.jpg
    Went online to price a new one and they were around 18 euros, decided to observe a frienly pro putting a new one in and it cost 50 euros parts and labour.
    new.jpg
    I would attempt it next time, with a 19mm ring spanner

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a worn and partially shredded serpentine/fan belt on my 02 Corolla
    old.jpg
    Went online to price a new one and they were around 18 euros, decided to observe a frienly pro putting a new one in and it cost 50 euros parts and labour.
    new.jpg
    I would attempt it next time, with a 19mm ring spanner

Easiest belt change you'll probably ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeah fan belts are grand. On something new it's nice to draw a simple diagram to you remember what positions you need when it's going back on.

I was meant to fit a new headlight on my sisters Auris this weekend. I only remembered at 7 o clock this evening. 'Fcuk it' I said and headed down.

Bumper off job. Not too bad. 45 minutes. Youtube is your friend for these types of jobs. Let some other feckin eejit find the obscure clips or bolts!
    She would have to park over the auld fellas oil stain in the drive.(spillage, not a leak) I had to fcuk a load of washing powder over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Wasn't quite today, but during the week,

The 190 has had a leak out of the rocker cover gasket since I got it, it was pretty slight but it burned off and made it smell bad, so:

The most roomy & simple engine bay ever:

20161116_201839.jpg

Cover off and dirty old filter out:
    20161116_202115.jpg

Plenum off:
    20161116_204212.jpg

Cover off and gasket out - it wasn't in shite but was leaking anyway...
    20161116_205026.jpg

Chain seemed good, as did everything else - (to me anyway):
    20161116_205324.jpg

Cover back on - tightened opposite sides from bulhead to front - new filter in, cover back on and job is done.
    20161116_214204.jpg

Next task is change the oil & fit a new thermostat to see if i can rectify not having heat on these cold mornings, this is an absolute pleasure of a car to work on - everything is so easy, simple & the space to work in is amazing - particularly compared to the ultra-cramped caldina.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Started the e46 after 5 cold days of sitting idle and it was rough as hell and bucking around as if there was a misfire. Now, my car has never started too well in the winter months, the engine will shake from cold for a good 30 seconds before idling normally. But last night it was far worse, but after turning off and restarting it was all normal and buttery smooth. After a bit of research people suggest it's an o-ring for the "adjuster unit" whatever that is... so not wanting to go spending tonnes of money I've ordered an o-ring to see if that sorts it.

The e46 has been unbelievably good to me over the last 12 months or so, so this isn't so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Anyone any thoughts on this rattle/knock?

It's not the timing chain. Engine is 2005 1.8 petrol ford/mazda/volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Out with the bad:

QvqZP6xl.jpg

Oil
    Filters,
    Cleaned the MAF.

NBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Started the e46 after 5 cold days of sitting idle and it was rough as hell and bucking around as if there was a misfire. Now, my car has never started too well in the winter months, the engine will shake from cold for a good 30 seconds before idling normally. But last night it was far worse, but after turning off and restarting it was all normal and buttery smooth. After a bit of research people suggest it's an o-ring for the "adjuster unit" whatever that is... so not wanting to go spending tonnes of money I've ordered an o-ring to see if that sorts it.

The e46 has been unbelievably good to me over the last 12 months or so, so this isn't so bad!

I've had that once last winter, like it was running on 3 cylinders, no codes came up! What O ring and what adjuster is it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

nd wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on this rattle/knock?

It's not the timing chain. Engine is 2005 1.8 petrol ford/mazda/volvo.

Sounds like bottom end to me :( can be hard to tell over video though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It was yesterday, but what I did to my car was put it up for sale.
    It's been 5years and 8 months so time for a change.
    az9m7iwz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Replaced interior light bulbs that had gone,one of which I didn't even know I had for the light switch illumination so I have a nicer night time interior now. Also tightened up the power steering belt as it used to squeal when cold. Dare I say the car is in pretty good shape right now and running well.

Is that a halfords lift kit there.I bought one yesterday and had to leave it back as the jack was too short. No way would it lift anything onto the highest peg on the stand.Just the lowest peg so left it back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

156 got a wash yesterday as a treat! Had been a little while since it was last washed :eek:

IMG_5231_zpsvwdqdlno.jpg

IMG_5232_zpslnc4tqss.jpg

IMG_5233_zpsxjpc7dch.jpg

IMG_5234_zpsh201fuca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Coolant changed over the weekend, very straight forward. Flushed out with lots of water and new 5 year coolant put in.

Cleaned too, but a trip to cyyaaaaaavvvaaaannnnnnn undid my vain attempt to keep the car clean! Surprised the locals didn't try and reclaim the muck back off my car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I can't believe that next month I'll have had this car for 9 years.

Long overdue wash today.

52b8s7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Wow that is clean. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I can't believe that next month I'll have had this car for 9 years.

Long overdue wash

Passed the Nct last night - the tester guy commented on how good the condition of the car was. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Passed the Nct last night - the tester guy commented on how good the condition of the car was. :-)

I do love when the NCT tester makes a comment like that, particularly when it's just been yourself tinkering around with it doing the servicing and repairs, I walk out of the NCT centre feeling like a boss :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement