Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

WSXuNaQ.jpg

Just the yearly cabin air filter replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Dónal wrote: »
    [Just the yearly cabin air filter replacement.

What's the purpose of changing the cabin filter, Mine hasn't been changed in the last 5 years. Does it let air through it into the cabin? Or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

job seeker wrote: »
    What's the purpose of changing the cabin filter, Mine hasn't been changed in the last 5 years. Does it let air through it into the cabin? Or how does it work?

Filters air going into the cabin, new one every year is what I do with mine, helps to keep windows clear and clear them faster.

Filters air going into the cabin, new one every year is what I do with mine, helps to keep windows clear and clear them faster.

Now, never knew that.. I have an outrages problem with condensation. It's like someone sleeps in the car at night with the amount of condensation on the inside of the windows the next morning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

job seeker wrote: »
    Now, never knew that.. I have an outrages problem with condensation. It's like someone sleeps in the car at night with the amount of condensation on the inside of the windows the next morning..

Probably because of water leaking into the inside. Pretty common problem on the Yaris. Changing the filter will clear the windows faster as Foxhole said. It's very easy on the Yaris, just pull out the glovebox and the filter slots in right behind it.

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    Probably because of water leaking into the inside. Pretty common problem on the Yaris. Changing the filter will clear the windows faster as Foxhole said. It's very easy on the Yaris, just pull out the glovebox and the filter slots in right behind it.

Funnily enough, I knew it was there from fiddling with the car, but just didn't bother changing it. due to my "be grand" approach with my car.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A new cabin filter on its own won't fully solve condensation issues. A dehumidifier in the car for a few hours would help big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Following my recent acquisition of an R53 Cooper S, I've been planning a few repairs and upgrade and finally got around to the first of many to come.

Firstly, the airbox to throttle body pipe/hose had perished so that was replaced.

31480706901_970cdb00c1_c.jpg

31449950882_8f8b202485_c.jpg

Fúck me, it was the biggest pain to reinstall.

31449950542_f1171923d9_c.jpg

Hose clamps were attached after (as they were missing in the first place). The other pipe directly below it in the picture was detached and kinked.

Then I moved on to the rear arch which looked like a dog or something had got to it. Easy and cheap fix.

30787048963_90bab45ffd_c.jpg

New headunit as the old one couldn't take aux and half the buttons didn't work.

30755413644_dd4cd6b95d_c.jpg
    Finally, I've hated this since I purchased the car and I've been searching and searching to find a decent replacement three spoke wheel at a decent price.

30787049493_5c75030822_c.jpg

31480706171_3e3559cebe_c.jpg
    Voila! :pac:

30755615964_84ec6650b8_c.jpg

The car needs a full detail, not just a wash! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

New gear knob arrived today. Had the wrong gear layout so I got a cap with the correct one also.
    IMG-20161212-WA0002_zpsmb0z1jju.jpeg
    Old one off is well worn and lot of scratches to it.
    20161212_194406_zpschilirw0.jpg
    New cap glued into top of new gear knob and back in the car! Nicer shape to it v pre facelift one.
    20161212_195611_zpsbm2pwrdz.jpg
    Happy out now with this and new heater controls fitted last week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Those Mini Cooper Supercharged yokes are honestly one of the most fun road cars I have ever driven. They really are fantastic, I couldn't care less who is a hairdresser or if BMW make them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

166man wrote: »
    Those Mini Cooper Supercharged yokes are honestly one of the most fun road cars I have ever driven. They really are fantastic, I couldn't care less who is a hairdresser or if BMW make them :pac:

I know! I love the image they have, makes insurance cheaper than a three year newer 1.6 petrol Focus!!! :D:D:D

Hairdressers car. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fitted a new cam.
    First fitted the rear cam
    yqycllu2.jpg

Then I ran the cable down inside the rear pillar, all along the bottom inside the trim,up inside the front pillar and along the roof lining to the front cam
    orauor3j.jpg

Cam is hidden behind rearview mirror.
    ouz35f9h.jpg

And finally powered up with both cams working(rearview mirror moved to one side)
    q56z37f8.jpg

Haven't it fully wired for power yet but I may just use a powerbank which I used there to see it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

I finally got my car finished after about 5 weeks of being without it. All that is left to do is to have it remapped.

Pd150 injectors
    Pd130 turbo
    3bar pressure sensor
    Egr delete
    Egr cooler delete
    Custom half exhaust and decat
    And cleaned up a few oil leaks that the engine had.

Ill post a picture up tomorrow the car is filthy at the moment!

Its driving on. Goes into limp mode the odd time. I need to get a custom remap done, the egr coded out and the new map sensor coded in. Be lucky if its done this side of christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    I finally got my car finished after about 5 weeks of being without it. All that is left to do is to have it remapped.

Pd150 injectors
    Pd130 turbo
    3bar pressure sensor
    Egr delete
    Egr cooler delete
    Custom half exhaust and decat
    And cleaned up a few oil leaks that the engine had.

Ill post a picture up tomorrow the car is filthy at the moment!

Its driving on. Goes into limp mode the odd time. I need to get a custom remap done, the egr coded out and the new map sensor coded in. Be lucky if its done this side of christmas.

I wouldn't be driving that thing anywhere until it gets a map! It cant monitor its intake pressure and it thinks that its injecting far less fuel than it actually is, good way to melt the turbine on the turbo or blow a hole in a piston :eek:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

First time to ever change brake pads. Jesus it was easy! In my mind it was a hard job. 15 minutes each side (fronts only). Saved myself €50 (mechanic versus parts and me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

antodeco wrote: »
    First time to ever change brake pads. Jesus it was easy! In my mind it was a hard job. 15 minutes each side (fronts only). Saved myself €50 (mechanic versus parts and me)

Dont forget to pump the brake pedal before you drive it. ;)

Well done.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

pablo128 wrote: »
    Dont forget to pump the brake pedal before you drive it. ;)

Well done.

I did indeed! Well pumped until it was hard (oo-er!)

rex-x wrote: »
    I wouldn't be driving that thing anywhere until it gets a map! It cant monitor its intake pressure and it thinks that its injecting far less fuel than it actually is, good way to melt the turbine on the turbo or blow a hole in a piston :eek:

Its been in the garden besides driving from the garage home. On that drive home i monitored all the stats through VCDS which will give the live data and its driving well within the parameters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Its been in the garden besides driving from the garage home. On that drive home i monitored all the stats through VCDS which will give the live data and its driving well within the parameters

The problem is without the remap it doesn't know what the parameters should be, so it will just be junk data read through vcds. For instance there will be a duration table for the injection based on how much the standard injectors flow, vcds uses this to calculate the IQ it shows you, but because you have added higher flowing ones, until you tell it (by remapping) what the rate of the new injectors is, it bases its calculations on the old ones, accidentally injecting dangerous amounts of fuel but looking like its all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Today I put fitted mudflaps on my Leon. I was at two minds as to whether to put them on as I don't like big mudflaps but the Leon ones are so neat I decided to go for them. Easy enough to fit all you need is a drill, T25 Torx bit, a pilot and 9mm drill bit.

Instructions are fairly detailed front were a little bit harder than the back but it's just a matter of removing screws from the arch liner putting them back in once the mudflaps is on and adding some holes and extra screws.

Front before
    1FE2F708-7548-4EAB-932F-BC26EE3AB516_zpsehu85lmn.jpg

Front after
    345F03BA-D67A-4C75-9FC9-98262D2EDE2D_zpss1gsryzt.jpg

Back had to remove the wheels to get access
    5278C8EF-BB0E-4639-80BA-26D360978462_zpsml8xgsly.jpg

Also gave the car a Christmas clean which took ages gave it a coat of SRP and EGP so it's looking nice and clean now. TBH I reckon the mudflaps will be the extent of my modification plans for the Leon nothing else planned.

D06BE2AA-C026-4747-9E0C-F0F87D9256C2_zpsx8ngvnio.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

umylve82.jpg

That's the Christmas present sorted for the car!
    Can't wait to see it's face light up on Christmas morning.
    Now I just need to get presents for the lesser members of the family!:pac:

Got the car mapped this morning, after all the work it managed 170bhp. Was told it could do more with what it has but the clutch is the limiting factor.

I just picked up this bad boy to fit. It's stormy though. Will I, won't I...

Stay tuned.

Well earlier I was dozing off on the couch when herself gave me a shove and told me the weather had died off. I immediately sprang into action. (After putting on a hoodie and 2 fleeces first.:D)

Predictably the rad hoses held me up a bit trying to release them off the metal pipes, but other than that, not too bad. About an hour and a half to remove and fit, and to be honest I filled it with coolant and left it. Now I headed down to the Square a while ago so I'm going to recheck it soon for leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I put on two genuine honda wiper blades on my civic, soooo quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Few small bits done to R32.
    Fitted carbon fibre gear paddle extenders:
    20161226_154607_zpsr6njbmcc.jpg
    And put in some seat inserts:
    20161226_154618_zpsvs4v8cbk.jpg

I repaired the shut off device in my wing mirrors in my 8th gen civic.

Two new Polly fuses soldered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You should have done a how-to, i'd like to do that.

You should have done a how-to, i'd like to do that.

I got this off civinfo website it's excellent help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2NrJ7B5CE7Ldzd3ZWxNTG05U0k/view?from=ebay

Here's the site and post, great site.
    http://www.civinfo.com/forum/civinfo-hobbyist-traders/91011-folding-mirror-shut-off-device-sod-repair.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I bought some nipples for my calipers and have some hoses to go on. So a mini service on the brakes, cleaning, maybe some painting and a general lubrication of slider pins and backs of pads etc.

Advertisement