Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Picked up an Mtech bumper for the E36, in the wrong colour of course :D

oErvxy5.jpg?1

Started sanding it down

RiGJN7U.jpg?1

1GihUAy.jpg?1

Filled the scratches

uy0VLlY.jpg?1

Sanded the filler

R2bB4VZ.jpg?1

Primed the bumper

Z5Bnjcq.jpg?1

Today, I got colour matched paint and began spraying

dvFCfgT.jpg?1

dSOEVc5.jpg?1

First time doing any sort of body work / spraying. I used 3 cans of spray paint for the bumper and even though I was told 2 are enough, it wasn't enough for full coverage. At some areas a hint of primer shows true (the blue is less blue).

Not bad for a first time though and it looks very nice now :)

Result:
    zv9OJ3V.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did the front pads but forgot to take any pics :(

biko wrote: »
    Did the front pads but forgot to take any pics :(

Mod note: Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

shietpilot wrote: »
    Picked up an Mtech bumper for the E36, in the wrong colour of course :D

zv9OJ3V.jpg?1

Great result! Where did you get the paint made up and what kind of money? Thinking of doing the same for a door sill and mirror covers.

Great result! Where did you get the paint made up and what kind of money? Thinking of doing the same for a door sill and mirror covers.

Vinny Byrne in Ballymount. I brought the fuel filler cap and the matched it. €21 a can though :) It sprays very well and I didn't make any runs at all. The clear coat let me down though haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

First things first, love the spoiler eringobragh, you were driving behind me out of our estate earlier this evening....I was in the missus new Skoda Kodiaq. PS love the shades :pac:

Anyway before that the PDC on my 6er was driving me nuts, working one day then stops the next. Diagnostic said it was front right centre sensor.
    Ordered one up from eBay pre painted in sapphire black pearl.

No hope of getting to it through the grille. It's possible in the US e63/64 but the European for some reason has a different layout behind the grille. Any it's a bumper off jobbie. Not difficult just a pain in the hole with all the screws, 5 in each wheel well, 2 more behind the wheel well cover, 2 behind the lower air intakes and 7 on the top of the bumper under the bonnet...23 in total load of turning :)

PDC no likely - that horrible BONG on startup!
    IMG_20170531_185131_zps1h3eqq09.jpg

IMG_20170531_185142_zpsn8ojs0nd.jpg

Bumper off
    IMG_20170531_184850_zpszs5qemeq.jpg

Here's the sensor from the back
    IMG_20170531_184902_zpss02obtme.jpg

It was a **** to get out, ended up having to give it a little tappy tappy from the outside, years or grit/grime sticking it in its hole.

New sensor and old sensor
    IMG_20170531_190101_zpsoaejl06b.jpg

Put the new sensor in and tada
    IMG_20170531_190451_zpszsuca6ko.jpg

Happy out, sometime it's the simple things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

lafors wrote: »
    First things first, love the spoiler eringobragh, you were driving behind me out of our estate earlier this evening....I was in the missus new Skoda Kodiaq. PS love the shades :pac:

Well played :cool:, You can hide nowhere in this city - I've seen that 6 series about a fair few times , theres not too many interesting cars about up this way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

About 18 months ago I picked up a set of alloys for my corolla very cheap. When I was ready to throw new tyres on, I discovered that 3 of the 4 alloys were missing the hub ring that gives you the exact hub diameter. I had already bought plastic hub spacers to bring it down from 56.1 to 54.1 for the corolla. I only discovers the problem the day I turned up to get the tyres on, and was heading to the Nct that evening. Decided to just get new tyres on the steelies and worry about the alloys later.

So long story short, will be needing new tyres in the coming months, so I turned down 3 new rings on the lathe this morning, and if it stops raining I'll be out to press them in later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I buy PDC sensors in 2s or 3s now they're so cheap, and pretty much interchangeable between all BMW models, including front to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Today I brought the e46 to get a hole in the exhaust welded. The lads said it was the spot where I had gotten the resonator removed that had worn through. €40 quid weld job. I have a feeling something more permanent might be needed, but sure at this point I'll just keep it ticking over I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So the e30 rear subframe bushings needed changed. I bought them online and was going to get.a mechanic to fit them along with the trailing arm bushings. Got speaking to a fella who said the trailing arm bushings are prob fine as he's never seen them give bother in an e30 so I figured I'd try the sub frame ones on my own. Started last night and wasnt really getting anywhere with it. Back out this morning though and figured a way to do it. I was able to move the subframe down, put a heavy bolt above the bushing then jack the subframe up and the metal bolt then pushed the bushing down and out. So hopefully the rest won't be too much bother over the weekend. Also bought new disks, pads and fluid so will get them on her too.

Quick follow up, before and after pics of the rings fitted

The e30 got new disks, pads and fluid today. Working on brakes always seemed like some sort of black magic to me and I never touched them before. Bite the bullet though and bought the parts and had a go. All went very smoothly thankfully and a test drive went well too. No weird noises and pedal feel is better than it was.

IMG_20170607_210825.jpg
    IMG_20170607_210809.jpg
    IMG_20170607_214017.jpg
    IMG_20170607_214030.jpg
    IMG_20170607_221253.jpg
    IMG_20170607_221848.jpg

Fed up looking at brakes at this stage. The e30 is all sorted but her car was making a terrible noise from the front right wheel. Had an idea it was a rattling dust shield. However I had to get two of the bolts from the wheel welded off as the guy that worked on the car last must have put them on with a 10 foot breaker bar. I actually bust open a socket trying to get it off ffs. Anyway, new bolts in and torqued properly and I got to the dust shield tonight. The surrounding metal where it is held in place by some screws had broken free meaning it was rattling about. Took the screw out without removing the disk so room was tight, but got a bigger washer on there that is now holding the shield in place once again. Both cars working as they should again :)

IMG-20170608-_WA0009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

My Wife Bought A 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci Titianium with 'Full' Service History.
    Because of past Expericence With Main Dealer(Ford)Garages Saying the Car Is Fully Serviced & Clearly not The Case.
    So I Did A Full Service on The Focus only To Find The ORIGINAL Air Filter still fitted in the Car(date stamp on part was nov 2011:eek:`)
    service history claimed filter was changed 2 times in the past.
    No Date could I find on the fuel filter but was original Ford Part.
    Pollon filter was stinking. 2 times claimed to be changed also:(

https://postimg.org/image/az57mz241/

https://postimg.org/image/p6chbrnpf/

p6chbrnpf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    My Wife Bought A 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci Titianium with 'Full' Service History.
    Because of past Expericence With Main Dealer(Ford)Garages Saying the Car Is Fully Serviced & Clearly not The Case.
    So I Did A Full Service on The Focus only To Find The ORIGINAL Air Filter still fitted in the Car(date stamp on part was nov 2011:eek:`)
    service history claimed filter was changed 2 times in the past.
    No Date could I find on the fuel filter but was original Ford Part.
    Pollon filter was stinking. 2 times claimed to be changed also:(

https://postimg.org/image/az57mz241/

https://postimg.org/image/p6chbrnpf/

p6chbrnpf

For your sake I really hope they did change oil/filter. They don't like abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

For your sake I really hope they did change oil/filter. They don't like abuse.

Actually the only thing they did was change the oil, the oil filter was a genuine ford one with 1/17 stamped on it.
    I changed it anyway, just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Nothing major, but did a bit of DIY spraying on the pajero today. Matt black to give a more subtle look and not to contrast too much! Did the towbar and towing eye 2 years ago, so didn't need a lot. The under tray at the rear was never done and the rust could be seen by anything travelling behind. Used a wire brush to take the majority of it off, it will return, but hopefully not too soon. Need to tackle a similar type tray on the front tomorrow.

spray1.png

spray2.png

spray3.png

spray4.png

spray6.png

spray5.png

spray7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It must be great to be a teacher. Couple of months summer holidays. At least you are keeping yourself occupied.

Still not finished, I use my evenings wisely ;)

• Advertisement

Are you a teacher too Noccy_Monday? Yep, the summer holidays are great all right :D

cletus wrote:
    Are you a teacher too Noccy_Monday? Yep, the summer holidays are great all right

Ye, working on other things for the Summer though, no long holidays here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Gear gaiter replacement. Interior plastics are charcoal/graphite (-ish) in colour, tha gaiter I had so far was grey. Black is closer to plastics colour I'd say.

Before:

420163.jpg

After:

420164.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Changed the speedometer (purchased off adverts :) )in the wifes mini from Miles to Klms.

Took about two hours yesterday morning.
    Lots and lots of torq screws :P

Dial1_zps1utfumw2.jpg

ee6f14a3-97cf-479a-93d4-e083b058f857_zpslenoo7dg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The driver's side wing mirror plate (i.e. the bit that attaches onto the door) was squeaking against the plastic trim every time I opened the door. It always happens in hot weather. I started removing the door card yesterday, sliced 2 of my fingers open on sharp plastic, busted my knuckle on another part, couldn't get the interior handle trim off so I gave up and put everything back together.

Sprayed some dry PTFE fluid where the squeak was occuring and it's fine now but I would think it'll be a thing of having to do so every so often. It's a better option compared to damaging trim/door leather/clips etc so fvck it I say! :D

Installed new rubber fuel lines under the bonnet today. Could smell petrol coming into the cabin and they had some cracking on them. Not sure if related but time will tell. Discovered jubilee clips can also be used with a small socket as I was struggling to get one tightened up with poor access lying on my back and getting fed up with the flat head screwdriver. New lines in now, haven't driven it yet but would expect at least 12 to 15 more bhp.

IMG_20170620_173155.jpg

Bought coolant too so thinking of flushing the old stuff out and giving her some fresh stuff tonight. Never done that before so worried I'll cock something up :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Chris fix has a good video on changing coolant, flushing out the rad etc.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Chris fix has a good video on changing coolant, flushing out the rad etc.

I'v watched it a few times now :). There's a few videos too on doing the engine in the BMW too as bleeding it can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    There's a few videos too on doing the engine in the BMW too as bleeding it can be tricky.

Tell me about it, i cooked an m50b20 trying to bleed it before. I was young and stupid though - didnt have enough coolant in the mix and didnt spot the cracked stat housing.

I'm sure you will be fine, just park her with the nose up and follow the tutorials :)

• Advertisement

Aw jaysus, don't be telling me that!

Advertisement