Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    [...]

May get some better LED bulbs later. :cool:

That "later" took 6 1/2 months! :D

Once found a photo in the web showing LED panels specially designed to fit that light cluster. Tried to find them on ebay and few other places - no luck. But recently checked aliexpress, and surprise surprise! Ordered, got them and installed.

How these panels look like:

00n-phm.jpg

0n-phm.jpg

LEDs until now:

01s-phm.jpg

02s-phm.jpg

And LEDs now:

03n-phm.jpg

04n-phm.jpg

6 euro very well spent, especially the whole bundle consists of 2 sets of panels (6 items in total). :D

On the other note, Chinese smart lads made them that way there's no need to be aware (and follow) + and - thing - whatever polarisation is fine! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

New Sparkplgs. New Oil Filter. Fresh fill of 15W40

Rock and roll.

Not to bad for 30k.... ash comes off cleanly.

4kdR8Srm.jpg

frim77Um.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That trailing plug seems to be fairly filthy!

Are you using RE7C-L and RE9B-T?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The release bearing started to make noise and send vibrations through the clutch pedal in my E36 during the last Trackdays.ie track day at Mondello Park.

I decided to remove the gearbox today and see what's up.

I removed the full exhaust, front section of the prop, starter, clutch slave cylinder, gearbox mount, shifter linkage and removed all the bell housing bolts.

This is what I was greeted with once the box was off:
    19BNs4A.jpg?1

Ball bearing balls at the bottom of the bell housing :eek:

This is all that was left of the release bearing. Only about half of the bearing balls were still in it :D
    UZYBRJ8.jpg?1

Factory clutch:
    QUJMHK7.jpg?1

Finally the dual mass flywheel:
    fG4t9Py.jpg?1

Cleaned up and left the car without a gearbox for now. I'll need to order in the parts and fit them next weekend. With the gearbox out of the way it makes it easy to change a few plastic coolant hoses that are common to go so I'll be ordering those as well. Should be all ready for the next track day soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

RE7's went out. RE8's went in. Ordered by Mistake, but car seems happy.

Looks worse than it is - the ash came off fairly easily under a finger. It's probably just the 2-stroke oil ash.

Better Image:
    https://imgur.com/NAWL5Jq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Serviced my missus's almost bangernomics 08 Impreza, 10w40 and a filter and some small niggly jobs like a seized centre console lid that didn't allow it to close properly.
    Wash and claybar.
    Next job is transmission/diff oils F+R and then a cambelt change as its coming up to the 100k km mark.
    Took off a Blueprint filter and replaced it with a Mahle, there was some difference in size between the two filters!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Serviced my missus's almost bangernomics 08 Impreza, 10w40 and a filter and some small niggly jobs like a seized centre console lid that didn't allow it to close properly.
    Wash and claybar.
    Next job is transmission/diff oils F+R and then a cambelt change as its coming up to the 100k km mark.
    Took off a Blueprint filter and replaced it with a Mahle, there was some difference in size between the two filters!
    It would be interesting to compare the 2 to the genuine filter because blueprint filters are usually very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Had a bit of a dilemma earlier this year when my Trusty Volvo S40 2.0D started to get the dreaded vibrate in the clutch pedal when released. It was at 380k km's at this stage so well overdue

I dropped it into my Mechanic for a few days, sure enough DMF was starting to go , added to this the Timing was due for replacement as well, and the Exhaust was starting to Rot :mad:

So I had a decision to make, either change up a few years or hold onto the car for another couple of years and get all the work done,

Apart from the high Motor Tax + possible difficulty in getting insurance in a couple of years I decided to get all the work done.

I've had the car since approximate 90k km's and the DMF has never given any trouble in my ownership so I did well to get this far :pac:

So I left the car into the Mechanic and go the following done,

Complete new Exhaust System
    New Timing Belt including Water Pump
    New DMF Kit
    New Back Brake Disks + Pads

I know a lot of people may have scrapped the car or sold it for very little, but I actually like the car, and the Engine is running very well. She is due her next NCT in February 2018 so hopefully it will pass,

This is what she passed through over the weekend:D

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/359/Y6MpvR.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4745/efG7qr.jpg

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare the 2 to the genuine filter because blueprint filters are usually very good.

Thats actually a good point, I'll get a genuine Subie one for the next service and keep the two old ones and cut them open.
    I have faith in Mahle oil filters they are OEM for Honda diesels.
    Open the Honda box and inside is a Mahle filter.
    Subaru ones are made in Japan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

So the DS tape on my front number plate kept peeling off. After 2 or 3 attempts putting back on and the same result every time after a few hours of driving, I dug around the original number plate holder, gave it 3 coats of matt black spray, lined up the metal plates with the originals for the screw-points and screwed it in place. Also did the screws white instead of getting the screw-caps. Really like the result (car is filthy, jist off the motor way full of flies :D ,excuse the picture)

I also took apart the cup holders as one was stuck in place. Had to fiddle around with the spring and attach a cable tie to hold it in place as a piece of plastic broke inside, apparently a common problem. Anyway , it is back fully functional now. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks well, gives it a fresher look. The double sided tape sometimes works but not a long term solution imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hal1 wrote: »
    Looks well, gives it a fresher look. The double sided tape sometimes works but not a long term solution imo.

Thanks! The back is still d/s taped but it is on a flat enough surface so no problem with that. Badly needs a scrub now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Well on Saturday...After 10 years ownership and a lot of miles and playing with spanners I said goodbye to my faithful 2003 Passat B5.5.
    After a 5 week search (bearing in mind I now live in the UK) I came up a few years to a BMW 520d F10 8 speed Auto with the later B47 engine (I didn't want to have issues with the timing chain prevalent in the N47 variant). Now to look for winter tyres!:
    423451.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

crasy dash wrote: »
    Anyone used the 12v electric one that appears in lidl from time to time?

I have a Sealey manual one and it took 35min to take out 4.5l out of my car.

I see garages using the vacuum operated ones so if you had a compressor those would be far quicker

I found it useless. I would be quicker burning the oil off driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Cv boot on passat today. Lift makes jobs like this so easy
    IMG_20170726_141511_zpsbl46hoaw.jpg
    IMG_20170517_112240_zpsbvn0ivzp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The Avensis got a wash the other day and despite my best efforts (yard brush, fairy liquid, old sponge etc) the windows refused to let the water away.

Now on most saloon cars I've had the water tends to get blown off when driving however this time it didn't. In yesterdays downpour I was looking through an opaque rear window :eek:

Last night I put rain-x on the 2 front windows, mirrors and rear window (windscreen already done from day one, first time I've had to put it on the rear window of a saloon car!) thus I can now piss on the windows and it runs off... Bliss! :cool:

It badly needs mats and deflectors, might have a nosey for a set at the weekend

Have to buy one wiper for it later today... The expenses spiraling out of control there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it possible that the oil is just overspill from a shaky hand when it was last topped up/changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

So I ordered these about 6 weeks ago and only came today...

15011798059941766586795.jpg

Two new clutches for my diff. I have new oil, seals and gasket sitting ready too so hopefully get a blast at it over the next week or so.

Engine is about to get fresh oil and filter too. New valve cover gasket going in there when I adjust the valves too.

How often should I change the plugs? I'm doing the oil and filter ever 4k miles, but plugs prob every 12k miles.

I'll try and take some snaps of the work, although when it comes to it the phone normally just gets used as my trusty torch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Very long post!! Need to split into two

Been doing bits and bobs with the fathers jeep this past few weeks. Getting old so needs some upkeep to keep it looking fresh. All small bits, but combined they make a difference. Lots of pics

Ash tray that was missing from when we got it restored from a scrap jeep. Said jeep has a lovely set of bucket recaros so might nab them sometime!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back towing eye and towbar needed some spraying, done it two years ago, but the rust spots were starting to re appear. All the spraying was done with a matt black spray

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rear under guard and front one were getting rusty, not a permanent solution but should last a while

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Replaced the dealer holder with a Mitsubishi holder

image.jpg

image.jpg

Front fog lights weren't working and were riddled with rust. New ones were needed, main dealer wanted 150 each. Turns out the old ones were spurious so took the measurements and an educated guess. Very difficult to find the same size but bought a "ring" set, loom and all for 60 delivered, very good value. Only then did I realise that they were the exact same light as the ones that were in it! Pot luck! Old ones were stamped 2004, new ones 2015. Make the world of difference! Not wired up yet but are in place

Old vs New

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Seats are getting a bit scuffed, so wanted to preserve them. Sourced a nice set of mitsubishi quilted seat covers. Bit skimpy in places, but do the job!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wiper arms and blades were getting a bit dull, so gave them a quick going over with matt black. Wipers themselves are sweeping perfect, but the back was getting dull. Brought them up a bit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally gave the interior a rub down and put in a set of rubber mats.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Would like to source a nice cover for the spare wheel at the back and give it a good polish & wax. Should be good to go for another year then!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I've been searching for an open circuit for a week, DTC p0020. Turns out the end of the cam phaser had snapped from the bolt. I wasn't going to find that with a meter.

20170729_234619.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I hope so. I'll check it in a few days to see if it's filled the spark plugs up again..

It'll take weeks for it to fill up if it was like my MR2

Do feck all miles but the MR2 was leaking in sparkplug wells 1 & 4 - I ordered a new gasket it wasn't failure per se but the bolts had loosened over time

Anyway I changed it out while Id all the gear out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Slideways

773202D5-5EE1-4CE1-BB9C-4AB5576BAAFC.jpg

Quick oil change and a check over today while it was bucketing down

A7978818-7C47-472E-8A92-08344E012100.jpg

Fitted new manual locking hubs to the Cruiser. Mud had gotten in and mad a shyte out of the old ones. $350
    Putting the snap clips on the end of the shaft with a circlip pliers was a complete arse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

23 euro for these 2 parts. Cruise control for my dads 2013 Auris he got recently. Stay tuned for fitting tomorrow. According to YouTube it should take 10 or 15 minutes.

Replaced the plugs in the Impreza, what a pain in the ass getting the coil packs out, I was getting pissed off until I saw a youtube video that recommended spinning them 180° and then it was easy.
    The distance from the coilpack to the chassis is about 50mm or less so space is very tight and these go in at a right angle not 45 like some of the other engines I have seen.
    Old plugs were a bit gappy so it wasn't before time to do them.
    These should be good for another 40-50 before they need to be done again thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Replaced the plugs in the Impreza, what a pain in the ass getting the coil packs out, I was getting pissed off until I saw a youtube video that recommended spinning them 180° and then it was easy.
    The distance from the coilpack to the chassis is about 50mm or less so space is very tight and these go in at a right angle not 45 like some of the other engines I have seen.
    Old plugs were a bit gappy so it wasn't before time to do them.
    These should be good for another 40-50 before they need to be done again thankfully.

That's what i hated will my impreza changing spark plugs was a bítch.

That's what i hated will my impreza changing spark plugs was a bítch.

I hear you! But hopefully seeing as this is a base model 1.5 NA these won't need to be seen for a long time from now.
    Once I saw how you just spin the coilpack it was easier but still required a lot of stuff to be pulled out, Battery, Airbox, etc.
    Interesting design of airbox, theres a big white tank under the airbox itself so that if you run through water and the intake gathers some up it will drain away hoepfully before hydrolocking the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

pablo128 wrote: »
    23 euro for these 2 parts. Cruise control for my dads 2013 Auris he got recently. Stay tuned for fitting tomorrow. According to YouTube it should take 10 or 15 minutes.

If it's a manual gearbox, you'll need an auto cancel switch for the clutch pedal too.

Advertisement