Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Muckie wrote: »
    [...]

Happy Mini and Happy Wife, for now :p

Yeah, be aware, wife's happiness never lasts long. ;)

Unregistered Users

keano25 wrote: »
    [...]

Anyone on here got lifts at their house? Will be building a garage soon and can't decide between a pit or lift..

Do not have one yet, but I will be building a garage in the future (God only knows when), but I have to go lift. I would prefer pit, as it's virtually maintenance free, hence safer and closer to be "idiot proof" than lift, however very high water table won't let me have one. :( If I go pit, I would end up in a mini swimming pool instead. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Ya I feel the same.. Could get the lift but as I work by myself I think for me pit would be safer? I've heard horror stories of the brakes on lifts failing

Unregistered Users

That's the matter of appropriate and on time maintenance as well as no shortcuts taken. Very unlikely something wrong would happen if you're gonna look after it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I seen a CCTV of a garage and the car fell on the two guys working on it from badly jacking the car up. It seemed to just slip and fall on them. Not straight away either.

If I was working in a garage I would lift the car myself rather than let an apprentice do it as at times they are inexperienced and it's your life on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

keano25 wrote: »
    Broken rear spring changed on my F10 this morning.. Not a hard job but an awkward job lying on my back on the cold ground..

Anyone on here got lifts at their house? Will be building a garage soon and can't decide between a pit or lift..

Id have a 2 post lift everyday of the week over a pit. You have way more access to the bottom of the car and doing brakes, steering or suspension jobs is much easier with a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Id have a 2 post lift everyday of the week over a pit. You have way more access to the bottom of the car and doing brakes, steering or suspension jobs is much easier with a lift.

This.

Also,

My local mechanic had a pit the last 7 years. He got one of these lifts built into the floor, (so when it's not in use it's the same level as the floor of the shed.) as he built onto his garage. He reckons the lift is the best thing since sliced pan. He did say that it's slow to move up and down in the winter though. As the cold weather makes the oil thick. But that's don't make a difference, it's just slightly slower, than usual. He doesn't use the pit at all now.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Yesterday my 06 c200K wouldn't start, sluggish and had left interior light on. Since it was the original battery I said feck it I'll take the hit and get a new battery. Grand job, got it changed in 20mins.

But then..it still wouldn't start....Fast forward to call from a local indi - Stretched and jumped timing chain :eek: Cars gone . AND the chain was replaced before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Lekrub wrote: »
    Yesterday my 06 c200K wouldn't start, sluggish and had left interior light on. Since it was the original battery I said feck it I'll take the hit and get a new battery. Grand job, got it changed in 20mins.

But then..it still wouldn't start....Fast forward to call from a local indi - Stretched and jumped timing chain :eek: Cars gone . AND the chain was replaced before I bought it.

I hope you took the good battery back out of it.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah crap! Sorry to hear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

martyc5674 wrote: »

I hope you took the good battery back out of it.... :)

I done that before and brought the battery back to where I bought it for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Ah crap! Sorry to hear!

Yeah that’s what I meant to say!

Seems like the cams weren't changed and just the chain kit before.

Got the quote from the garge after my post, seems the damage has been somewhat contained.

I feel like an abused spouse who should know better but doesn't, but weighing up options, I'm considering to source a cheap kit compared to what I was quoted.

All in I think I would be at 1400 euro...Although the car is worth feck all, I feel like the devil you know is better than what I could get for €1400 as I've had no other problems and planned on driving it for another good few years. I like the amg kit, paintwork condition, heated leather, good bluetooth and 'kompressor'.

I saw this no name kit on done deal:

Surely the quality can't be that bad to go again within 3 years would it? Or would I be better just going for a €1200 whatever run about car? If that I'm getting that battery back to halfords!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you like the car and plan on keeping it another few years I'd get a brand name kit. Would you ever have full peace of mind otherwise?

If you like the car and plan on keeping it another few years I'd get a brand name kit. Would you ever have full peace of mind otherwise?

Yea you're right. After a bit of reading it seems the cheap kits can go within a year. No way I could deal with that worry.

From the Benz forums it seems the is a site m271.com & ZEDPerformance that sell kits that people have used and were happy with them. German branded decent kits.

Just for anyone who spots it, here is the damage to cam gears. You can see the teeth have been worn right down which caused the chain to slip. The chain had been changed before. Just to warn people this same engine was used in Mercs up to 2009 if you are looking at them.

M_271_Camshaft_Cam_Gears_Worn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Are you going to go ahead with repairing it?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Are you going to go ahead with repairing it?

Yea I did cos after looking at the alternatives it made more sense to me, to just go for it and fix it.

I got it for far below the market price a few years back so I guess it’s just evening out.

Plan on keeping it for years now. Or I until I win the lotto. Just can’t believe those OE sprockets are such crap.

So same for C class, E class, E90 or E60 etc up to 2010 really - doesn’t matter if the timing chain has been done, if the sprockets are worn you are not nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Love it! It's so satisfying bringing a tired car back to life with jobs like those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

10 minutes spare last night, removed all the water that was in the car from rain, cleaned up the poles + applied some copper grease and gave the lights a quick once over:
    dAVnW5kl.jpg
    UKfNQWUl.jpg

I'll spend a bit more time on them another day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

That 3m restoration kit works wonders

That 3m restoration kit works wonders

It's not a 3m restoration kit, I use a much more ghetto substance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It's not a 3m restoration kit, I use a much more ghetto substance ;)

Bit of wet n dry :rolleyes:

Bit of wet n dry :rolleyes:

No sandpaper was used on the headlights either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Toothfeckenpaste!

Toothfeckenpaste!

I've moved away from the tesco everyday value toothpaste, not that either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

Free organic body juice? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Autosol metalfeckenpolish?

• Advertisement

Autosol metalfeckenpolish?

Close enough, magnesium + aluminum polish this time :D

Advertisement