Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

2 more fabulously discounted tyres fitted and balanced for the Avensis last night.

Difference is night and day; gone is the very audible drone and is far smoother across a range of different surfaces

The other tyres, fitted at 341k in March, are now at 358k and wearing away very well. I haven't measured what the tread wear is but can do later. They have been rotated in accordance with the new tyres too

Very pleased so far, so pleased the car got a quick wash too!

No pics as I'm a busy c*nt :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Sorted the rear pads on one side after work today.
    Nothing left on the old set on this side.

scJXdlF.jpg

SrwC6yc.jpg

RMtxiE5.jpg

Found use for the stock wheel brace.

KOhvcKS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why did you bleed the brakes just changing the pads?

I like to wind the old fluid out the bleed screw instead of back up the pipes... years of driving bangers has made me an anal cu^t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Interslice wrote: »
    I like to wind the old fluid out the bleed screw instead of back up the pipes... years of driving bangers has made me an anal cu^t :pac:

Why only the side? Did you find the cause of the uneven wear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

So today finally got around to finishing my android install in my f10 I had it working but moved the GPS antenna to under the windscreen for better coverage and installed reverse camera.

The camera installation was pretty handy I bought it off ali express for 30 quid and it seems to be very good quality

20180711_091616.jpgupload pic

20180711_123921.jpgpicture upload

It looks pretty OEM from outside.

First off I tapped into the reversing light wire and I got a fault on the dash of reverse light failure and camera would only work for 10 seconds I thought I'd need a relay.

So went behind the dash and found a camera 12volt from the head unit that switches on reverse so tapped into that and ran it through wire running along the video feed

20180711_195507.jpgimages hosting

It all seems to be working perfect.

20180711_195941.jpg

And the guide lines move with steering wheel

20180711_195959.jpg

And sat nav looks pretty cool too now

20180706_131526.jpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Great job. We used to have an f10 with the small screen and I remember looking at retrofits at the time but it was BMW kit and was v expensive. That looks the business, and I believe a lot more cost effective from one of your previous posts. Really makes a difference for that interior. Nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Cheers mate yeah had small screen it looked like crap.

If I went the oem route it would of cost 800 just to upgrade to a second hand wide screen alone and double that to upgrade to sat nav and reverse came so got it all done for under 500 and a few sliced fingers I'm happy out.

Of course going Chinese route nothing is guaranteed propely but fingers crossed it will last to get the enjoyment out of it.

rex-x wrote: »
    Why only the side? Did you find the cause of the uneven wear?

It was world cup and food time.
    The other pads werent far behind. Done my best to bed them in today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Installed the new lights! Makes a huge difference and even though mine were in good nick and recently sanded and polished, there's a massive difference in clarity!

LTH8dD0h.jpg

OI2MRyHh.jpg

Left is old:

n1yXGGqh.jpg

Also removed the useless HID's for the standard halogens

hkCFNQih.jpg

WfRwMpCh.jpg

And of course, the best thing is they don't point down due to working adjusters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Does that not mean the glass is catching on the wind deflector? I would try to put the V clips in different places along the frame and see if that solves the issue..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Went completely nuts on the 05 altea lately as it hit 400k, its sitting at 405k now.

got rid of the flaky body kit and replaced it with more sedate black runners all round from a non sport altea which was in a scrap yard, which is much better, it also makes it easier to change to winter wheels.

Got 2 new 18 inch goodyear efficientgrip very happy with these tyres, going to go the same on the front when the bridgestone potenzas run out.

Changed all the disks and pads, and 3 shocks number four next week, new mats and got a full valet recently only the second time in its 13 years in my ownership, came up great but the lacquer is starting to go in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Operation bodywork is underway. Well only a small bit for now. My rear wing had come undone. It's a factory wing which was fixed in place with both glue and a bolt either side. The passenger side had completely come loose a few weeks back. Oh ****. Lifted the wing to find rust under where the wing sat. So this morning I got the dremmel out and began grinding away the rust. Thankfully it was only surface rust, and I was able to remove a lot of it. I've just applied some rust removal gel to get the tiny spots that sat deeper in the metal.

The plan is to then clean it all up, prime it, and paint it and glue the wing back on. Given that all of this will be well hidden under the wing, the finish does not need to be perfect. My main focus is finding the best glue/adhesive to fix the wing back on. Really not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Operation bodywork is underway. Well only a small bit for now. My rear wing had come undone. It's a factory wing which was fixed in place with both glue and a bolt either side. The passenger side had completely come loose a few weeks back. Oh ****. Lifted the wing to find rust under where the wing sat. So this morning I got the dremmel out and began grinding away the rust. Thankfully it was only surface rust, and I was able to remove a lot of it. I've just applied some rust removal gel to get the tiny spots that sat deeper in the metal.

The plan is to then clean it all up, prime it, and paint it and glue the wing back on. Given that all of this will be well hidden under the wing, the finish does not need to be perfect. My main focus is finding the best glue/adhesive to fix the wing back on. Really not sure.

I have a possible solution, the family business does an own brand plastic weld. I have used it to stick concrete to concrete and it is mighty stuff, biased or not. It hardens like plastic and cures in an hour or so. PM if you want some.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Primer went on today, 3 coats, I'll have to wait for it to cure over night and then I'll sand back tomorrow and prep for paint. So far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

After getting a lot of work done to my Volvo S40 last year including DMF / new exhaust / timing belt.

In 2018 all she needed was a new starter motor + battery.

She passed this milestone this week.

file.jpg

NCT + insurance are due at the end of 2018...so hopefully she'll keep going for another while yet :-)

Making progress at long last... I'm finding it very hard to give time to projects I have on, the long dry evenings make it doable though :)

Swapped out an EDC pump for a mechanical unit with dieselmeken bits
    0RTANgGh.jpg

Have to modify a bolt to fit to lock the pump. These are a piece of piss to change, no need to slack the timing chain. Degrees marked clearly on the crank pulley and was still spot on (14 degrees ATDC, I may alter this though)

I have an issue with 2 glow plugs that need to be removed, have 4 out but 2 stubborn ones left... My goal is to get this engine running once again!

And when I have it running again, I'll be busy with the TIG welder ;)
    klIje6ih.jpg

Yeah yeah, I need to clock them/worry about oil feeds/positioning/pipework etc. That's only a mock up, you leave the rest to me :cool:

But, what will I shove this into? :)

As a bonus useless bit of trivia, the manifold in the very first picture on the very first post of this thread came off that engine above ;)

Nice pump pidgeon! Is this a mercedes c300ttd lump now?

Interslice wrote: »
    Nice pump pidgeon! Is this a mercedes c300ttd lump now?

It's been far too long in the making! But yes, that's an OM606 from a W210 I once had. Very smooth car to drive :cool:

The pump is from a 300D, don't think we got the 603 turbos here. I toyed with the idea of a supercharger to compliment the LP/big turbo but decided on a compound turbo setup in the finish

The small turbo I got a few weeks ago and is a Holset HX35 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Spent the day stripping the dash of the Passat to replace a heater core. Small part, and cheap enough, but a good 6 hours of stripping and rebuilding.

Wasn't a hard job, infact simple enough, just tedious and time consuming marking each bolt, nut, screw, flushing the system, refilling, etc. All for the little piece highlighted in red. Now i have heat and no wet floor. Just have to bring it to a garage to get the aircon recharged (had to have it evacuated before i started).

Glad its done though.

While my proverbial mouth was warm i decided to stick on the Fog lights. Lifts the face of the car and improves the appearance.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

So yeah I finished the job eventually on the Chrome2Red choice that I made. Im pretty happy with it to be honest.
    457526.jpeg

457527.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

^ The red bits are a nice touch.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Swaped stereo on my accent...not a major upgrade but a good start to upgrading to android auto based system at a later stage...was straight forward enough apart from removing the dashboard frame...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ms jou's car needed better washer jets than the ones I recently installed, as they're way below expectations. Tried few other options, finally found the best - Honda jets!

Now, the photostory.

Honda mist washer jets:

458200.jpg

All what I tried. From left to right: LandCruiser (won't fit to a hole), Volvo (no mist), Pug/Citroen (too low), Honda (perfect), Mitsubishi (beginning):

458201.jpg

Size comparison. Top: Honda/Mitsu, bottom: LandCruiser/PSA.

458202.jpg

Honda jets are without gasket underneath - the ones from Mitsu jets fit perfectly!

458203.jpg

Final result:

458204.jpg

As a bonus - Honda jets have non-return valves built in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ms jou's car needed better washer jets than the ones I recently installed, as they're way below expectations. Tried few other options, finally found the best - Honda jets!

Now, the photostory.

Honda mist washer jets:

458200.jpg

All what I tried. From left to right: LandCruiser (won't fit to a hole), Volvo (no mist), Pug/Citroen (too low), Honda (perfect), Mitsubishi (beginning):

458201.jpg

Size comparison. Top: Honda/Mitsu, bottom: LandCruiser/PSA.

458202.jpg

Honda jets are without gasket underneath - the ones from Mitsu jets fit perfectly!

458203.jpg

Final result:

458204.jpg

As a bonus - Honda jets have non-return valves built in. :D
    Honda stuff is usually very good, much better than a lot of other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Haven't done much with the car in a while but sooner or later... something needs a bit of attention!

Front NS wing had literally rusted to death. Snapped some chunks off it a moment after this. OS wing was already on it's way too, slight bubbling under the paint.

mjtM7H0.jpg

Off to Wyses to get some spares and a short while later... Two fresh new wings in sapphire black.

Spend a while masking them off, cleaned, degreased and then a few coats of undercoat...

suotclP.jpg

P382RRJ.jpg

Off with the old, on with the new... (fúcking torx head needed drilling out because it stripped)

husFegQ.jpg

Yes, all that muck did come out from behind the wing :eek:

BNqtJtR.jpg

seAH0tG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Haven't done much with the car in a while but sooner or later... something needs a bit of attention!

Front NS wing had literally rusted to death. Snapped some chunks off it a moment after this. OS wing was already on it's way too, slight bubbling under the paint.

mjtM7H0.jpg

Off to Wyses to get some spares and a short while later... Two fresh new wings in sapphire black.

Spend a while masking them off, cleaned, degreased and then a few coats of undercoat...

suotclP.jpg

P382RRJ.jpg

Off with the old, on with the new... (fúcking torx head needed drilling out because it stripped)

husFegQ.jpg

Yes, all that muck did come out from behind the wing :eek:

BNqtJtR.jpg

seAH0tG.jpg

Good job,just done the 2 wings on my Audi the other day too,rotted from the indside out.

Like you I had a mountain of muck behind the wings

Getting rid of the rust takes years of the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

joujoujou wrote: »

the mk2 MR2s ones are brutal, apparently Volvo S60 ones are a good choice , must have a look at doing mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Gearbox and transfer box oils changed from stock in the parts department

459219.jpg

Advertisement