Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Some posters at the meet will remember the difficulty in selecting gears or that awful bang each gear change my car had :eek:

Time to put that right

Out with a limiter I made earlier
    Image1049.jpg

The offending part in situ. Looks fine doesn't it?
    Image1050.jpg

2 nuts, 2 screws and its out. The handy part
    Image1051.jpg

Looks fine eh.... :eek:
    Image1052.jpg

So I put it all back together and while I was there tightened up the aux belt
    Image1053.jpg

Something that took as long as that job was cleaning the tools afterwards :(
    Image1054.jpg

But worth it. The car now drives beautifully again, smooth gear changes no horrible bang every time I stop it no vague wobbling gear lever. Bliss :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You eh...... you got the use out of it anyway dgt :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    You eh...... you got the use out of it anyway dgt :)

More like the people who had it in the Xantia before me fecked it up :(

It was properly finished man! Looks like a rear axle bushing I took out of a passat before :D

It was properly finished man! Looks like a rear axle bushing I took out of a passat before :D

A sad reality is I've seen far far worse.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

hmm no ones posted on this thread in 3 days :o Just put new reg plates on today.

rizzee wrote: »
    hmm no ones posted on this thread in 3 days :o Just put new reg plates on today.

Been busy with a cylinder head and turbo but no pics of that.... Plus busy with other stuff aswell.... Maybe tomorrow I'll put up something ;)

New Plates will look sweet, remember seeing them old ones last friday sure! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Took off the crap and noisy aero style wipers and normal metal frame bosch wipers. Far quieter and work much better.

Put rainex inside and out to improve further.

Top job

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Put rainex inside and out to improve further.

Expecting rain inside your car soon yeah?? :pac:

2ro3iwh.jpg

There's the new plates. Verdana Bold font, keeping it simple.

6924j8.jpg

Got this little fcuker in the post but theres a wee bit of a gap when I put it on the car, the screw adapter is a tiny bit too long! Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

6924j8.jpg

Got this little fcuker in the post but theres a wee bit of a gap when I put it on the car, the screw adapter is a tiny bit too long! Ah well.
    Nice plates but da fook is that?

It's a 5cm aerial. Black alluminium!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It's a 5cm aerial. Black alluminium!
    Ah killer man, here's the one I got if you are interested (good signal with it still) - http://url.ie/jfgd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Expecting rain inside your car soon yeah?? :pac:

Great tack to stop fogging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

dgt wrote: »
    Image1050.jpg

Why do you waxoyl your engine :pac:

That bushing was fairly gone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

6924j8.jpg

I said to my trainer... 'Put on more weights' .. He said ... 'There are no more'

On topic, nice car man well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

Today i changed gearbox oil in my CLK. Old one looks like tar, it was black and smell like tar, new one is red. Can feel the different but oil wasn't warm yet, will test it tomorrow.

Few more steps to go with Mercedes:

1. Change arm bushes.
    2. Change break discs for sports one (together with pads).
    3. Change tires.
    4. Buy broken plastics.
    5. Clean whole car :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Today i changed gearbox oil in my CLK. Old one looks like tar, it was black and smell like tar, new one is red. Can feel the different but oil wasn't warm yet, will test it tomorrow.

Few more steps to go with Mercedes:

1. Change arm bushes.
    2. Change break discs for sports one (together with pads).
    3. Change tires.
    4. Buy broken plastics.
    5. Clean whole car :P

Why the hell would you buy broken plastic??? :pac::pac:

Why the hell would you buy broken plastic??? :pac::pac:

If free plastic is needed I have a load to get rid of. Just let me know, take the lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

First service (plus fuel filter to be sure to be sure) done yesterday. This morning I decided to give it a good wash and detail, fitted wind deflectors and then the heavens opened. Looking dirty already after a quick spin to get diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

hahah i mean i have some broken plastics on my car and i need new one haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Haven't done a whole heap since coming back from the Nürburgring in August, but that will change over the next while. I purchased an EGR bypass kit from eBay a couple of weeks ago and only got around to fitting it today.

DSC00190_zpsaec4b316.jpg

It's a straightforward enough piece, and the swap was pretty straightforward too although a touch messy.

DSC00195_zps7649e516.jpg

Once installed, it doesn't look the out of place which is good. Although on the original EGR valve, there's a bracket cast onto it to allow the top engine cover to be secured to it, which the EGR blank doesn't have. Thankfully, once the engine cover is in plane, the remaining bolt on the left hand-side is more than enough to keep it in place and rattle free. I secured the bolt that no longer has a home to the engine cover, so there's no missing bolts when you look under the bonnet.

As I expected though, the car showed a CEL and when further investigated was read as 'P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation "a" Flow Insufficient Detected'. I've reset it but will be looking to get it mapped out of the car as soon as possible. Other than that, throttle response has been greatly improved although I can't say I notice any power difference and I haven't gone on a long enough drive to check for an improvement in MPG.

I provisionally sold my 3SDM wheels this morning and put a deposit down on another set not long afterwards. I've been trying to get a set of these for as long as I've had the car but could never come by the right set for the right money. Should be collecting them Tuesday, I'm am quite excite.

Next updates will be a comprehensive service with perhaps a front suspension overhaul with uprated M3 parts. After that, I'll be sending it for fresh paint and maybe the addition of some new exterior bits & bobs. Roll on 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Done this today. Mosconi 120.4 class AB amplifier installed. 120w RMS x 4

Front speakers are still stock while the rear speakers are 2 ways coaxial Pioneer.

I was a bit concerned at the way the front was going to sound, but I was pleasantly surprised, they actually sounded good.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

While the install's are always interesting to see, and a lot of thought goes into them ... would you not have a slight concern about looping the live feed round so that its right beside the negative terminal of the battery? Looks like its asking for trouble to my amateur eye? :confused:

Emmm.......

Never mind the wiring now for a min :) pull that 924 out (is it a carrera gt??)
    I'm just going by the slats in the bumper, don't shoot me down if I'm wrong :o

Top Dog wrote: »
    While the install's are always interesting to see, and a lot of thought goes into them ... would you not have a slight concern about looping the live feed round so that its right beside the negative terminal of the battery? Looks like its asking for trouble to my amateur eye? :confused:

You have to connect to the positive lead of the battery connector, which is ultimately close to the negative. Now if those wire were "nude" yes of course that would be asking for troubles, but this are well protected and the wire going to the fuse is not going to detach itself any time soon.
    When you connect the positive and negative wire back to the amp, they are only 1cm away from each other too. Not really an issue as long as everything is secure.
    Worse case scenario, the main fuse blows, and that does not go further than that.

Emmm.......

pull that 924 out (is it a carrera gt??)

No idea what model is it to be honest...this car has been sitting in different places for a while.

Bm, fantastic work as always man. I'd be at nothing!

Sorry just have a soft spot for old porsches and yet don't know that much of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Lovely BM that. Is it an M3?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

hahah i mean i have some broken plastics on my car and i need new one haha :)

I know your pain. Hopefully there's no interior panels you need to replace. Those little plastic pop clips are a pain in the arse. :mad:

Advertisement