Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

jmreire wrote: »
    It wont have to grass on you.. because it will prevent you from breaking the law.... it will recognize speed limit's white line's, proximity to other vehicles, objects etc. Until it will reach the stage that all cars will be driver less , and these are in existence even now. In 20 year's time, will be very few driver car's on the road, but maybe only special " Driver " parks, where people can drive for recreation or as a sport :cool::cool::cool:
    20yrs??! We have them already; Blanchardstown and Finglas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭jmreire

dodzy wrote: »
    20yrs??! We have them already; Blanchardstown and Finglas ;)

:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D True !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had a few jobs planned for this weekend discs and pads on the wife's nissan note, and rocker cover gasket on my own. Parts ordered and were out for delivery quicker than I thought. Only for them to land here this morning with the box in tatters, I wouldn't mind but the box of pads inside was also in bits. There was a loose screw sitting on top of the pads box, and was worried there were bits missing so had to refuse them. God damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

[IMG][/img]https://ibb.co/n1v1QXf

[IMG][/img]https://ibb.co/ZzzVnb

My old and new-ish (reconditioned ) turbocharger for my audi . Work wasnt that bad as i was thinking. id say 4 hours, with some puzling , tea breaks and colecting new turbo.

P.S. How to put pictures here ? it is not working as in good oul days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

viber-image-2019-06-20-14-43-37.jpg

That's one anyway other link not working....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

So the GF mini cooper had a fight with a pheasant at 60mph and lost....resulting bird exploded into the bumper and caused a bit of cosmetic damage to say the least. She wasnt that fussed and now comes the time to change the car and obviously looks a state. Ebay came to the rescue with a suitable bumper for the mini in the same colour, swapped over the salvageable bits from the old and ordered a new bottom spoiler and a few clips from BMW (it was cheaper from them direct than patent parts from Ebay).

Before:
    485537.jpg

During

485538.jpg

485539.jpg

After and back in one piece:

485540.jpg

After the above....was someway sorted on Saturday I had been given the task of sorting out a possible replacement for bangernomics kind of money and went about getting it on Sunday. Ebay provided the car.

I found an absolute diamond when trawling through the usual over modded, clocked and abused cars especially in this category. I am based in the UK for the last number of year hence its easier for me to find and view. Found this little pocket rocket... 225bhp Audi TT (Mk1) Quattro first registered in 2003 for a few hundred quid shy of 2k (standard equipment includes Xenons, climate and white leather interior). Massive history file (receipts for tyres, service parts even down to bulbs) the previous owner had it for a number of years. Timing belt, tensioner and water pump was replaced prior to buying as well as a large service (spotted a brand new Mann Oil filter). The usual TTs weaknesses were addressed new coil springs (they seem to snap them) and the driver computer was reconditioned (they lose pixels as the car ages). The car even included 12 months test!! Its still rather quick (when it first came out it could do 0-60 in a shade over 6 seconds and still can leave many cars in its wake)!

Only thing its needs is the Haldex oil and filter changed, new wipers and the white leather seats cleaned and conditioned.

485543.jpg

485544.jpg

485545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Nice, looks very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I put new pads and discs on the Mk2 Fiesta over the weekend and changed the brake fluid. All done for less than 50 euro. I love how cheap the parts are for that car.

The brakes are still rubbish though lol. But at least I have a bit of confidence in knowing they are new.

Going to keep my eye out for some XR2 calipers and a mondeo servo and do a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

As I couldn't get the oil filter cap off my Fiat Bravo the last time, I went to a garage this time.

I supplied the oil and filter, plus I asked them to take a look at my left front end as I could hear a clunk.

In the end did the oil and changed a drop link. Oil change (With my oil + filter) was 35 and the single drop link change was 45. So 80 all in.

Is this a decent price? I know the drop link change is an easy job but I presume I wasn't ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What do you mean ripped off? Did you even factor in the mechanics hourly rate?
    If you think you are being ripped off, buy a haynes manual and learn to do the basic jobs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Seems reasonable to me.

Them bastard of a drop links can be a bitch to get off when on car a long time. That's was a pretty reasonable price to be honest.

Hal1 wrote: »
    What do you mean ripped off? Did you even factor in the mechanics hourly rate?
    If you think you are being ripped off, buy a haynes manual and learn to do the basic jobs yourself.

No I said I presumed I wasn't ripped off in fact.

I actually presumed the price was low really and the service is excellent.

Just wanted to get peoples opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Did well.. a lot of fellas would be annoyed if you showed up with your own oil and filter.

keano25 wrote: »
    Did well.. a lot of fellas would be annoyed if you showed up with your own oil and filter.

Yeah definitely think so. And this guy is in Cork city so his overheads would not be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not a very dirty job.

Added station logos to the radio

2-CC4-B759-45-A3-468-B-B043-4-C4174-DF1-CDB.jpg

Charge your phone

I like to live dangerously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not a very dirty job.

Added station logos to the radio
    That a factory unit or an aftermarket Android type one?

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    That a factory unit or an aftermarket Android type one?

It’s a factory unit.

54-E22-F4-F-D189-4509-B928-F4-FB8-CC99046.jpg
    (Jaysus, seats look manky there, they’re not really!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

xXKFfeUl.jpg

swapped out the 2 nasty rear hubcaps for the genuine articles to match the fronts. 20 quid for the pair on ebay.

avensis is running like a dream a couple of thousand miles in.
    checked to see if the air filter was changed.
    4cEwCkBl.jpg

Oil is still at the full. sorted the tyre pressures which were all over the shop. Getting 40 mpg now. Grand job. A pair of front pads should see it through the winter.
    D9e5bAsl.jpg

JIikqPDl

Took out the Chinese double DIN unit and put the original radio in.
    Also gave it a good clean inside as I’m going selling it.

A862-D048-633-C-4632-9-A65-AB38-F55-AD141.jpg

A1-AD7759-AEC5-4-B7-D-A4-B6-2-F1-E3-DAD06-D6.jpg

Again, the seats are clean, but look manky in the picture because of the way the material goes when you rub it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Not sure how this sort of thing is taken here (I assume with some hate) but I plasti-dipped my wheels over weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/esyFYAL.png
    https://i.imgur.com/pp6Yp6n.png

Broke it :(

487997.jpg

Auxiliary belt shredded with no warning - hopefully just the belt that needs replacing. :(

Did a few bits to the 5 series. It needed a oil change and a few service items.
    • Oil filter
    • Oil (5w-30 BMW LL-04 Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3)
    • Air filter
    • microfilter (carbon filter)

I also used my amazon ENET cable along with my old laptop to reset the CBS (condition based servicing). I one thing I did find surprising is that the items which are ment to be torqued to spec (i.e. the oil filter housing and sump plug) I had to absolutely swing off of with a 1/2 drive on the ratchet in order to shift them. Both are meant to be torqued to 25NM and this car has a full BMW service history :mad: Anyways when I was finished both were torqued to their correct spec this time so that when the car is serviced again it should be a lot easier.

489280.jpg
    Service items

489281.jpg
    Oil filter housing

489282.jpg
    Oil Drain

489283.jpg
    Copper crush washer replaced

489284.jpg
    Air filter comparsion (new vs old)

489285.jpg

The microfilter wa acually very clean. I fitted an upgraded carbon filter version rather than the normal one. BMW charge around 80GBP for the ordinary one. The Bosch one was around 25GBP for the carbon version.

489286.jpg

489287.jpg

The service interval on the idrive was also reset via the diagnotic port.

I also took the opportunity to update the mapping on the professional idrive to the 2019-2 version via USB.

489288.jpg

489289.jpeg

Another item ticked off the list. Lights on the boot bugged me as they were faded and full of grime. Polishing wasn't going to help much so ordered a new pair.

4 trim clips and 2 nuts - job done in 10 mins :cool:

Before

489425.jpg

And after

489426.jpg

Of course now I want silver indicator bulbs to tidy it up further :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Interesting reg, bit confused it's on a 318 though. It was hardly a coincidence when bought new.

• Advertisement

3246?

Advertisement