Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

You ditching the walnut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

Interslice wrote: »
    You ditching the walnut?

Have to do something with it as its very faded and too orange (reminds me of Trump!?!?!). Its out now so not going to go back in the same, playing with some ideas at the moment. Android head unit going in also in the coming weeks just waiting for it to arrive and see how much fun that will be with the can bus system etc.

You can see the difference in the trim in the pic where parts have been protected from the sun.

48802787092_1c6fa31ca3_c.jpg

This is the head unit, but was in China a few weeks ago and one of the engineers I work with out there sourced it direct for about €120 so worth a punt. Wont have if for a few weeks though. Also its new plastic trim won't match the original anyway.
    48180220076_1a440286ab_c.jpg

Also polished the nearside headlight as it was annoying me.
    48802647216_0103c2272a_c.jpg

Did a bit more on Friday evening and as I do the list of jobs gets longer. Whipped off the belt and checked all the pulleys. The tensioner bearing is rough so new tensioner ordered a long with a new idler pulley. So progress has stopped there on that job for the moment.

Next job was the plugs. So pulled one to have a look and they are well past their best before. Packs on the nearside are all nice but the drivers side has a leak from the oil breather so that's a remove and new gasket job.

The oil has run down and wicked up the plug leads so I need to source two of them and maybe a coil although nothing to suggest a misfire. MB looking for €60 per lead and no clue what a coil pack is.

Might try a breakers for some leads to tide me over as I'm not sure how bad the oil weep is. Throwing on two clean leads with the plugs should be fine for the time being so I have her running right. If it's a long term keeper then new leads and coil packs would make sense along with redoing the gaskets on the breathers and valve covers.

Oil on packs
    48815428913_6afab4cd11_c.jpg
    Think its time these were replaced, 12 of them, couldn't be just one per cylinder, has to be 2!! Thankfully its not the V12
    48815935172_e47c7f6b23_c.jpg
    Oil on back of pack, can clean but think I'll change it
    48815934882_1b8c3f5187_c.jpg
    Oil on the inside of lead can't be doing any good but no evidence of a misfire.
    48815934727_a50319f673_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Detachable PCT Towbar fitted to the Zetec s. Handy job, didn't take any pictures. Just need to code In the wiring and should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The TT died on Tuesday evening just as it was beginning to get cold. Herself rang the RAC as I was a bit away and they diagnosed a duff battery surprisingly it was a Bosch S5 battery that was last replaced in 2012 it was struggling starting from cold and wouldn't turn.

Bosch 5 year warranty is a bit misleading. If it had failed at say 2.5 years old they give you 50% off the next one. Ordered the same spec Varta instead via click and collect with Euro Car Parts. They couldn't find the reserved part so gave me a Bosch S4 battery instead. All working now took about 10mins to fit although access is a bit tight to get to the battery clamp. Bosch batteries dont seem to be what they once were as the Mini cooper had the original one in it since new and it lasted 14years and the Passat I used have also lasted 14 years.

492201.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Exide batteries I find the most reliable. 7 years out of a battery isnt bad though.

Interslice wrote: »
    Exide batteries I find the most reliable. 7 years out of a battery isnt bad though.

Ya its "ok" although it has only begun to get colder in this part of the East Mids so a little surprised as to how quick it died. I did notice that it did take a little longer to fire up on Monday morning but put it down to me being OCD. Ill see how the new Bosch battery will fair. I must pick up a bottle of G12++ (coolant concentrate) from Audi, I did ring to order a light lens for the rear number plate light as it cracked and whilst I was at it got a parts price for the Haldex oil and filter..77 quid which isnt bad. For Audi to supply and fit.....275GBP :eek:

More out with the old and in with the new.

New serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner while I was at it. I would put money that this was the original one and at 17 years old, 165k kms and oil all over it a changed seemed like a good preventative measure. A previous idler must have bit the dust at one stage as I found a few bits of it in the cross member.

48842772323_b716d967be_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

traco wrote: »
    More out with the old and in with the new.

New serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner while I was at it. I would put money that this was the original one and at 17 years old, 165k kms and oil all over it a changed seemed like a good preventative measure. A previous idler must have bit the dust at one stage as I found a few bits of it in the cross member.

Did ya ever fix the central locking key, I always thought it was just the battery. :p

I Was VB wrote: »
    Did ya ever fix the central locking key, I always thought it was just the battery. :p

Not yet - I am pretty sure it is the antenna circuit over the back window. Need to drop the head liner and pull it. I expect its just a poor connection but haven't bothered yet as it works 100% on IR! :p

• Advertisement

Actually I don't think these were posted before so I'll throw them in here. Might as well let you all see the resurrection of a 17 year old S Class, warts and all!

I can't take credit for this work, way beyond my skill level. It was done by OCD Detailing in Ferbane and the man has some skills. He repaired the hole in the drivers seat and then cleaned and redyed all the leather in including the steering wheel.

48006962447_16b6ef4a7c_c.jpg

48006876436_9dd91c32d5_c.jpg

48802300113_85e339c503_c.jpg

Pics of the entire job can be seen on his FB post at the link below.
    https://www.facebook.com/ocdferbane/posts/2398640533689605

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

How much for the repair do you mind me asking?

Truckermal wrote: »
    How much for the repair do you mind me asking?

PM sent, don't want to post price as he wasn't sure how good he could get it so may have given me a better deal than he should have for the amount of work he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nothing major this time. Just bumper protector plate. :)

492506.jpg

Car is booked into BMW main dealer for the ERG cooler recall in November it was their earliest availability. It looks to be costing BMW on parts and labour just shy of 800GBP alone.

I also got two tyres fitted to the 520d. I went with the Goodyear run flat equivalent instead of the contisport SSR 3s which the car was fitted with when new (these have been revised and the contisport are on SSR 6s now but Continental dont seem to do my tyre size on the revised tyre. The Goodyears are better for noise, grip and wear.

Even though I asked the tyre centre to put the new set on the rear axle to have a matched pair. I had 2 punchures in 18months so the worn tyres are on the front and rear axles, I wanted the matched new pair on the rear and the part worn on the front axle...they didnt do it citing that TPMS system wouldnt like it. I did check and I believe when I reset the TPMS system via idrive the car will be able to detect the and determine the correct wheel to the correct hub on the car.

So Ill have to swap two tyres. Which brings me to the BMW and how axle stand unfriendly it is. Every thing is covered in underbody covers which makes it practically impossible to place axle stands on the sturdy suspension components as everything is hidden under the covers. I have jack pads to jack from the factory jack points on the sills however the axle stands will use these points when working on the car. I have to get a low profile jack and jack from the front jack point which is deep behind the engine sump!

So I am in the market for a decent low profile trolley jack now! Anyone have any experience of the Draper one. Its a bit pricey but I will have to do the rear brakes soon and I suppose it will be an "investment" for this and future cars?

492626.png

Get a decent one and it will last forever, not familiar with that one but draper should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I went for a sealey low profile jack in the end. I'm uk based so got for for 105GBP delivered. Hopefully have it by the weekend 👍.

https://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/sealey-2001lere-trolley-jack-2tonne-low-entry-rocket-lift-red/2001LERE/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yesterday I did something to Ms. jou's car.

Bought second hand, genuine facelift ASX shark fin antenna, luckily enough, the very same colour.

Now, here's old one:

492898.jpg

Access is very limited, but possible with a bit of patience.

492899.jpg

Old vs new:

492900.jpg

Finally, job done:

492901.jpg

Note that aliexpress knockoffs are significantly cheaper and even more significantly easier to install, but in return you will get a radio with no signal reception in most cases.

Time for another bit of an update.

Old plugs out and new ones in (they were well due), one coil pack and leads replaced with spare from a breakers. New oil and filter. Seems to run smoother but maybe that's the placebo effect??? Oil was manky so may change again after a few hundred miles to flush it.
    Wood trim no longer wood. Wrapped and back in. Center console is a bit black but this be sorted by the android unit when I get it installed.

Next jobs, gearbox oil, filter, electrical connector and head unit install when ever it arrives. Back on the road on Nov 1 as a winter weekend cruising barge! (hopefully)
    Some pics for ref.

48902937961_ed8d06a884_c.jpg

48903144412_a4d1eb416f_c.jpg

48841772331_58eca69a16_c.jpg

48841819556_fc65f37b43_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Carbon trim looks the job with the grey leather

Link to a vid or the above Merc starting from hot. Nice and smooth so getting there. I really should do some work but just can't get motivated today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLmDN5PVn0

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Did the 2 pre-cat lambda sensors on the M5

70943547-532151480918281-4643860288260275539-n.jpg
    IMG-5138.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Something that I didn't like since I got my Golf was the black mirror covers. So I ordered new primed ones of VW and got them sprayed at a body shop. Finally got to fit them today. Very straight forward mirror glass clips off and then I used a pry bar tool to relate clips that hold mirror cover in place. Refitting is just the reverse.

Before
    493337.JPG

After

493338.JPG

Swapped over the 2 of the wheels on opposite axles on the BMW (as I wanted the matched pair of new tyres on the rear axle). Tyre centre has some story about the TPMS which wouldn't read properly when I requested them to do it when I got the tyres fitted (I dont have a staggered wheel set up like some M sports do either).

The car now has part worn Contisports the on front and new Goodyear on the rear. Reset the idrive and no issues, I also set the pressures on the front and rear axles. Another gripe I have with my local BMW dealer is that they seem to have overtorqued the wheel bolts on the front and not 140Nm as I had to swing off them with a telescopic wheel wrench.

Does anyone else apply grease to the inner faces of the alloys and on the thread anymore?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Quick winter service on the Tiguan

20191023-152743.jpg 20191023-194741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Quick winter service on the Tiguan

Mhg39Jv
    Hq8XCYj

Weird are they that big the engine is buried in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Does anyone else apply grease to the inner faces of the alloys and on the thread anymore?

Grease on the threads isn't a good idea. Torque specs assume dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Grease on the threads isn't a good idea. Torque specs assume dry.
    Correct. Probably a good idea to put some copper grease onto the hub flange, not the mating face itself. Alloys tend to stick at that area so it would make it easier to remove.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Weird are they that big the engine is buried in them.

Front end gives the illusion of being big but its just a golf on steroids theres plenty of room to work alright

Advertisement