Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Was at a VW dealer today so bought a few bits for winter. New wipers as I would say the ones on the car are original and just need to be be changed. Got a 1 litre bottle of oil handy to have in the car incase a top up is needed. I have used the VW screen wash a few times and find it good.

I will fit the wipers tomorrow.

493791.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CIP4 wrote: »
    Was at a VW dealer today so bought a few bits for winter. New wipers as I would say the ones on the car are original and just need to be be changed. Got a 1 litre bottle of oil handy to have in the car incase a top up is needed. I have used the VW screen wash a few times and find it good.

I will fit the wipers tomorrow.

493791.jpg

How much

How much

The 3 wipers came to 40, Oil was like 15 and screen wash was around 3 euro. So basically it was all cheaper than Halfords think that oil in halfords is something ridiculous like 25 euro.

CIP4 wrote: »
    The 3 wipers came to 40, Oil was like 15 and screen wash was around 3 euro. So basically it was all cheaper than Halfords think that oil in halfords is something ridiculous like 25 euro.

Suppose not to bad but would not make sense to buy the bigger bottle of oil?

Suppose not to bad but would not make sense to buy the bigger bottle of oil?

Well like I leave the small bottle in the car if I ever need it to top up with oil. I am not going to carry around a big bottle with me. Plus I will be getting it serviced at the dealers so shouldn’t use too much oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

Wanted to do this for a while. Matt black from the UK for 40€.
    20 min job with the obligatory curses at some stubborn retaining clips.

Thoughts?

494556.jpg

494557.jpg

494558.JPG

494559.jpg

494560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

looks much meaner, nice

Aggressive, I like it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The screw cover things are letting it down.

Interslice wrote: »

On the plates?

Yeah I always stick on.

• Advertisement

On the plates?

Yeah I always stick on.

Ye. The lack of symmetry makes them worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

On the plates?

Yeah I always stick on.
    Ye. The lack of symmetry makes them worse!

Thanks lads, what do you guys use for ‘sticky’ on plates? 3M type pads? Source?

Didn’t want the plate sitting with a gap potentially caused by adhesive strip/pads. Wanted it tight to the bumper.

I recall drilling a point to the RHS of the ‘5’ was causing a gap in the centre of the plate, hence the positioning of the screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

3M VHB from ebay. :)

Silicone will work to....

3m I've used and has held up near 10 years on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Few weeks ago I took out blower fan in my E90 as it was first making squeaky noises then stopped fully.
    I rotated it few times manually and put it back, it worked for few weeks and failed yesterday again.

Went out and got grease from motor shop.
    Took that **** out again (**** because it's really awkward to access and requires to remove glove box, glove box frame, foot well panel, both cup holders and few vents), then you literally need to get in there with your head being in passenger foot well and feet up on roof.

Anyway, took it out, it was barely rotating manually this time, but I got it working but it was making squeaky noise again.

The fan rod itself moves slightly up so I did that and pumped it up with grease, waited a bit and then wiped excess off.

Worked like charm, no more squeaking and works absolutely silently, not sure how much and how long smell of grease will be around but it's minor.

https://i.imgur.com/WI2KgfO.jpg

Final version:
    https://i.imgur.com/Rek3apY.jpg

anyone know if smell will go away or is it there to stay? it's barely any smell but I feel it (probably because I know it's there)

P.S - Lesson learned, do it right first time instead of chancing it and then re-doing it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Catalytic converter was stolen from my Yaris by travelling gang day before halloween, so I nicked replacement from my brothers yaris this morning.

Unfortunately, the housemates came home today with Oil Pressure light on thier Yaris & after replacing switch it seems pump or engine gone, got it for €1000 last year so big loss, will try to salvage something from it but looks destined for the scrap yard :(

thqRghM

https://i.imgur.com/thqRghM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

...scanned the car and got 19 faults from 36 modules... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

newmember? wrote: »
    ...scanned the car and got 19 faults from 36 modules... :pac:

What kind of VAG product is that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ha..good guess...the money pit kind!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Summer set of wheels out, washed, dried (yesterday's sunny weather helped a lot) and stored. Winter wheels removed from storage and put on. Test drive done. Ready for winter. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Blew the budget on a leggy volvo v50 D3 with a full V SH. did the basics during a test drive and drives fine but theres a bit of work to do on it. wishbones, cv joints, rear shocks, might replace the hubs also while I'm at it.

Anyone recommend a good OE parts eBay shop or IE, used to dealing with vw stuff, the v50 shares the platform with the ford focus so should be plenty of choice went on to europarts and not seeing much more than one option for shocks and want monro or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Blew the budget on a leggy volvo v50 D3 with a full V SH. did the basics during a test drive and drives fine but theres a bit of work to do on it. wishbones, cv joints, rear shocks, might replace the hubs also while I'm at it.

Anyone recommend a good OE parts eBay shop or IE, used to dealing with vw stuff, the v50 shares the platform with the ford focus so should be plenty of choice went on to europarts and not seeing much more than one option for shocks and want monro or better.

mickgarage.ie or misterauto.ie, hard to beat them even with ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

autodoc.de ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Did this trick over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/daHNfB5INkg.

Brilliant this morning in Cork as the rain was horrible. No noise as the wipers did their best to keep the windshield clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fired up the 325CI today, first time in maybe 3 months. It was like returning home after a long holiday sitting into it. So familiar and perfect.

I had removed the battery and charged it up over night in the house. I didn't know what to expect when I turned the key, it was running well when it last ran, so I had my fingers crossed.

Put the battery in, secured it and turned the key. Engine fired immediately, revs climbed and died. Okay, maybe it just needs a couple of tries. Fired again, reved high, firing on all cylinders then coughed and died. ****.

I had been chasing lean codes before I parked it up, and I was worried my fuel pump was the cause, but these symptoms didn't line up in my mind. Fired up immediately and strongly and then die a few seconds later.

Quite on a whim I decided to unplug the MAF, turned the key and she purred like a kitten. Idled perfectly, revved quickly and smoothly and sounded as epic as ever.

I might try some MAF cleaner and start the process of moving it on. The beginning of the end :(:(:( :o:o:o :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of this:
    689-BB66-B-09-B9-49-FC-A4-AA-8-B91-F3580-A0-E.jpg

Got the OBDeleven Pro during the week, so been busy arsing around with it, so far I’ve done

Stop Start disable
    Scandinavian DRLs
    Cornering lights enabled
    Mirror dip on reverse
    Allowance for number plate LEDs

And probably a few I’ve forgotten. Fun stuff!

Biggest gripe is it’s pretty much Android only. There is an iOS app but it has limited functionality. Luckily I had an old Samsung knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Is that an aftermarket stereo in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nah, factory unit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Service on the Leon 305k on the clock it's hard to believe that fuel filter has only done 15k since it's last service!

20191214-150041.jpg 20191214-142047.jpg

• Advertisement

Service on the Leon 305k on the clock it's hard to believe that fuel filter has only done 15k since it's last service!

20191214-150041.jpg 20191214-142047.jpg

Thats surely the oil filter :eek:

Advertisement