Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

CianRyan wrote: »
    Through the wheel arch with a universal joint is the easiest way to access the spark plugs. :eek:

I did the plugs on my/your RX8... Never again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I did the plugs on my/your RX8... Never again lol

And I was so glad that you did so I'd never have to.
    Similarly, I'll never, ever do a radiator on another one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I found my old wrx subaru awkward enough to change spark plugs. Not as bad as a RX8 though still awkward compared to a standard straight 4 or 6 engine. Transverse V6 can be awkward also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

cletus wrote: »
    I see the hinge gave way on your Halfords box too :D

Why the wheel off, is it for access?

You can leave the driver's wheel on when getting at the sump-plug - I just took it off for comfort and habit. I did it that way the first time - and it feels like it makes life easier.

Taking the passenger's wheel off is a necessity to get at the sparkplugs, but with a few extension lengths it's not bad to get at them. They're right there. I'm surprised people find it awkward - I've never thought of it as difficult - just annoying since I lost one of the extension pieces from the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dartz wrote: »
    Air filter, oil filter, four new sparkplugs and a change of oil.

It still goes.

Nut5HcXl.jpg

Needs a new passenger doorhandle because scumbags but it can wait until the virus is gone away.

Driveway is handy,ref scumbags put them in the back burner,I had a Gpz 900 dropped and mangled by a prick eons ago but it gnawed at me for a few wasted years

• Advertisement

I found my old wrx subaru awkward enough to change spark plugs. Not as bad as a RX8 though still awkward compared to a standard straight 4 or 6 engine. Transverse V6 can be awkward also.

Want to try a ðŸ‘honda insight, though admittedly I'm no mechanic but bloody awkward ( 8 plugs)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

cletus wrote: »
    I see the hinge gave way on your Halfords box too :D

Good to know they sell these separately for €12-18 :D

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/storage/tool-boxes/665954.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Good to know they sell these separately for €12-18 :D

https://www.halfords.ie/tools/storage/tool-boxes/665954.html
    I have used sticky velcro to fix a hinge in the [ast... but I suppose those boxes aren't expensive especially if more than the hinge is knackered

Want to try a ðŸ‘honda insight, though admittedly I'm no mechanic but bloody awkward ( 8 plugs)

Only a half hour job, I done a set for a mate 3 weeks ago, and the missus Fit is the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Today i sanitized my interior giving special attention to the steering wheel, gear knob, hand brake, radio, stalks and of course door handles

*also good idea to keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the glovebox :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

fryup wrote: »
    Today i sanitized my interior giving special attention to the steering wheel, gear knob, hand brake, radio, stalks and of course door handles

*also good idea to keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the glovebox :)

I'll give you better idea. Sanitize your hands, than skip all the rest of sanitizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭jmreire

traco wrote: »
    Both auto boxes are the 722.6 5 Speeds (2002 and 2007 cars). Mrs tracos daily has the 722.9 7 speed (2007) but I don't mess around much with that one

The 722.6 transmissions are quite easy to do an oil change on, even a complete change to include the cooling Rad and Torque Converter. You disconnect one of the fluid feed pipes to the cooling radiator, and connect up an external pipe ( plastic ) feeding into an external container to catch the drained oil. Put the car in "D" and start the engine. Pump 2 litres out, stop the engine and replace the drained 2 litres with new oil via the dipstick. Repeat the process until the new oil appear's, then remove the drain pipe, and reconnect the metal pipe to the cooler radiator.
    To do the filter, mean's dropping the transmission sump of course, but thats a straight forward job, and fit new gasket, But make sure that in any work on a auto transmission, never use micro fibre cloth when cleaning the parts. Micro fibres are death to these boxe's.
    To check the level after changing the oil, the temp has to be at 80c, with the engine running and the selector in "D". Oil level should be between the upper min-max levels on the dipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Finally got around to fixing 2 small holes in the floor (caused by a previous owner using too long bolts for the seat fixing), more details here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057383

Cleaned the area, seem to have got away with it re rust:

hole-bottom.jpg

Applied the "chemical metal" epoxy. I did some testing of it before hand, found it to be as strong as advertised, but, not very sticky, so I applied from top and let it run through the hole and then pushed it back so it basically sandwiched the floor. Inside and below pics:

fix-top.jpg
    fix-bottom.jpg

I then put two coats of underseal, will do two more today.

While the seat was out, I tried to fix the sagging bottom. I got a kneeling pad for gardening from Lidl and removed some material and shaped it a but, and pushed it under the springs.

seat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I rebuilt one of my rear calipers this morning, I didn't have time to take any pics though. I'm hoping to do the other side tomorrow afternoon and I'll take some then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I got the passenger side done this afternoon, it was an absolute pig to do compared to the drivers side for some reason.

I grabbed some crappy pics in a hurry but I can't remember to to embed them properly.

Only a half hour job, I done a set for a mate 3 weeks ago, and the missus Fit is the exact same.

Joking me,not with my big hands

Joking me,not with my big hands

Fit hasn't got 8 plugs

Ah bud I have absolute shovel hands and I don't find them that bad, a combination of experience and the right tools for the job perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fit hasn't got 8 plugs
    Didn’t they use the i-dsi engine in the fit? Same with the hybrids, didn’t they have 8?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Didn’t they use the i-dsi engine in the fit? Same with the hybrids, didn’t they have 8?

Depends on the engine, the 1.5 has 4, 1.3 has 8.
    The rear 4 are trickier but not too bad really.

• Advertisement

Fit hasn't got 8 plugs

Ehm... Yes it does.

They're not harder than the front plugs, you just have to remove the wiper arms and front cowl.

Ah bud I have absolute shovel hands and I don't find them that bad, a combination of experience and the right tools for the job perhaps.

Could be right,I'm not a complete do da ref cars but my shovels versus jap cars ,even changing a bulb is a balls,try and look at the fuse box in the insight,feck it Houdini would have problems,need to be a veritable contortionist

Could be right,I'm not a complete do da ref cars but my shovels versus jap cars ,even changing a bulb is a balls,try and look at the fuse box in the insight,feck it Houdini would have problems,need to be a veritable contortionist

Haha, stop.
    I always get the first year to change bulbs for me because most of the time my hands don't fit without a bit of stripping first. I (for now) work for Nissan and the J11 Qashqai in particular is a ball bag for space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Haha, stop.
    I always get the first year to change bulbs for me because most of the time my hands don't fit without a bit of stripping first. I (for now) work for Nissan and the J11 Qashqai in particular is a ball bag for space.

Tell me this if you don't mind. How in the name of jayzis do you remove an oil filter on a nv200? The last one I did, I used a hammer and cold chisel.:o Out of rage more than anything else. Mother of God, you can't get near them.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Tell me this if you don't mind. How in the name of jayzis do you remove an oil filter on a nv200? The last one I did, I used a hammer and cold chisel.:o Out of rage more than anything else. Mother of God, you can't get near them.

Awkward buggers alright, I take off the top coolant bottle#s two 10mm bolts, the hose on the left hand side and plug it. Is it's giving me bother ill unclip the intercooler/turbo top hose and push that to the side. I'll then grab my extra long 3/8 ratchet and two 6 inch extensions and my oil filter removal claw and hang out of the thing. if you don't have two extensions, a universal joint can sometimes help with the angle seeing as it's a tight enough space.

All that is done from the top, either throw a few rags underneath and change it there or you can just loosen it enough that you can turn it by hand underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Awkward buggers alright, I take off the top coolant bottle#s two 10mm bolts, the hose on the left hand side and plug it. Is it's giving me bother ill unclip the intercooler/turbo top hose and push that to the side. I'll then grab my extra long 3/8 ratchet and two 6 inch extensions and my oil filter removal claw and hang out of the thing. if you don't have two extensions, a universal joint can sometimes help with the angle seeing as it's a tight enough space.

All that is done from the top, either throw a few rags underneath and change it there or you can just loosen it enough that you can turn it by hand underneath.

You must hate when one of those come in for a oil change.

You must hate when one of those come in for a oil change.

I think it sounds worse than it actually is, either that or all this time working on glorified Renaults has made me immune to the agonny.

You wanna know pain and fear? Take an engine out of a long wheel base, 4x4 NV400 on a 2 post ramp, supported by a bottle jack under the rear diff to keep it steady. :pac:
    Get a job in Tech!

I think it sounds worse than it actually is, either that or all this time working on glorified Renaults has made me immune to the agonny.

You wanna know pain and fear? Take an engine out of a long wheel base, 4x4 NV400 on a 2 post ramp, supported by a bottle jack under the rear diff to keep it steady. :pac:
    Get a job in Tech!

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I started the P(rick) car today for the first time since October and turned her round. Started no problem and settled down nicely when she warmed up. That was the calm before the storm as its now up on the lift with the rear section of cover removed.

I looked at this job last season and there was one bolt on the right side that was obscured by the thermostat housing. I figured to have half a chance of getting that bolt out I'd need straight on access. So I parked the job and stuck it on my pre-season 2020 list.

Fast forward to today and now that we are under house arrest, I've overdosed on anti covid-19 brave pills and intend to get stuck in. To get some sort of clear access to that bolt I will take off the thermostat housing so I figured it was a good time to install a new water pump, stat, gaskets and new coolant. Hopefully when I get the pump out I'll be able to get a camera up in there and check the engine mount as now would seem like the logical time to change if needed.

Here's a few pics of this afternoons efforts which didn't involve a whole lot to be fair. Now as there is no sport on feel free to place your bets via Paddy power on how many bolts will shear and how many knuckles will be maimed. Somewhere in her history one bolt has already been sheared so i will be drilling that out anyway. Access is OK but I really am not looking forward to drilling.

There's no rush on this so it will a case of slow and steady. The manifolds look like $8?!, maybe I should change them or coat them or something????

If anyone has any words of wisdom to reduce the risk of shearing more bolts please do share. I'm open to anything, blue spanner, holy water, a decade of the rosary perhaps??

Shiny bits first

49694161563_42d6b3f885_c.jpg

Not so shiny bits

49694704116_a6600c2f2e_c.jpg

49695005382_5abc86ef7a_c.jpg

49694161568_d177596269_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you have a mig welder handy it might be the job for getting the broken bolt out. Put a nut over where the bolt is and weld through the centre of the nut onto the bolt, filling the inside of the nut. It has an added advantage of getting heat into the bolt.

Advertisement