Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

dgt wrote: »
    Yep, 5.0 V8, runs like a clock :)

But no-one wants! :(

Pop it in dords a class! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Scortho wrote: »

Dord needs to do this, the results would be hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

dgt wrote: »
    Yep, 5.0 V8, runs like a clock :)

But no-one wants! :(
    If it were diesel, I could have been interested - and found a beetle to put it in

I laughed so hard at that. Seriously, that was too funny.

Crying with laughter here man. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If no one buys the engine and no one buys my Mazda...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Sourced a complete set of just refurbished E63 7 Series wheels at the weekend which I've been trying to hunt down for quite a long time. They're genuine Borbet for BMW wheels and measure 19x9 at the front and 19x10 at the rear. I've brand new centre caps to go in today, just need to give the car a wash first!

photo-copy_zpsf5c5640b.jpg

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Sourced a complete set of just refurbished E63 7 Series wheels at the weekend which I've been trying to hunt down for quite a long time. They're genuine Borbet for BMW wheels and measure 19x9 at the front and 19x10 at the rear. I've brand new centre caps to go in today, just need to give the car a wash

That looks deadly man, 10 across the back is ridiculous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They look perfect on the car, better than any aftermarket wheels I've seen on that generation, and I love aftermarket!

CianRyan wrote: »
    They look perfect on the car, better than any aftermarket wheels I've seen on that generation, and I love aftermarket!

Agreed, also mad aggressive looking.

They look bigger than 19s too because of how the spokes run to the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I replaced the air con condenser on my astra h. Common fault with them that the arse falls out of them. Not a tough job at all, I would recommend anyone to do it themselves because a garage would probably charge 300 euro plus. It cost me 140 all in. Just need to get it gassed now. Had to take the bumper off but that not difficult at all just have to make sure you don't break the clips around the headlights.

CianRyan wrote: »

Agreed, but I hate aftermarket mods for the most part!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

20131023_221711.jpg

20131023_161017.jpg

Doing a bit of my crash repair today. Thankfully my bonnet isn't too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The automatic exhaust adjustment strikes again :rolleyes: to be fair that speedbump incident did a fair amount to knock it off its position....

No pics as I've been outside in the dark working on it :)

Breather issue addressed to, re engineered the breather pipe (hacked, butchered and brutalised to my specifications) tomorrow will be the test in traffic

Also went at the pump for the first time in a while, horay for extra throw on the throttle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Sourced a complete set of just refurbished E63 7 Series wheels at the weekend which I've been trying to hunt down for quite a long time. They're genuine Borbet for BMW wheels and measure 19x9 at the front and 19x10 at the rear. I've brand new centre caps to go in today, just need to give the car a wash first!

They look sweet paddy, work really well the the new front bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

New set of rubber for the winter months, every year I forget how much the old ones had worn until you see the thread depth on the new set. Bridgestone Turanza T001, 80eur a pop. 2nd set, some don't think they're as good as the ER300 but I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What size did you end up getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I done an interior valet today. Seats, carpets got a good hoovering and foamed them with a chemical that lifts dirt, then a quick hoover again. The glass was next and all I used there was a few sheets of news paper and vinegar. It looks as good if not better than some of the glass cleaners I've used before. Sprayed some fabrezze on the carpets too and new air freshener :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

IMG_20131024_165311.jpg

New discs and pads today on the Eventless, it took no time and I stuck new tyres on it too for the winter plus a oil change..n

I left the bolts loose for you!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I left the bolts loose for you!

Lol they were tight enough then plus the disc was welded on and it took a few belts of a sledge to remove. It cost 70 euro for the pads and disks which aint bad but the TRW ones for the Passat which are a genuine part are cheaper and a lot bigger too!!! I have noticed Toyota parts seem to be a lot dearer..

Truckermal wrote: »
    Lol they were tight enough then plus the disc was welded on and it took a few belts of a sledge to remove. It cost 70 euro for the pads and disks which aint bad but the TRW ones for the Passat which are a genuine part are cheaper and a lot bigger too!!! I have noticed Toyota parts seem to be a lot dearer..

They're very high spec brakes though, they'd need to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Or the eventless will become very eventfull :pac:. *runs away with coat*

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're very high spec brakes though, they'd need to be.

The fastest I have reached is 100mph coming back from your place, I was thinking this yoke is very noisy cruising at 60 until I realised. .:eek::eek:

Truckermal wrote: »
    The fastest I have reached is 100mph coming back from your place, I was thinking this yoke is very noisy cruising at 60 until I realised. .:eek::eek:

Do you pass your own private runway on the way home from colm's :confused::)

YbFocus wrote: »
    Do you pass your own private runway on the way home from colm's :confused::)

The same one I happen upon every now and then I think :P
    (maybe it's out by portlaoise :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Well yesterday I finally got my clutch sorted.
    For the last month or so I've had to top the brake fluid reservoir up with lovely dot 4 fluid every few days. At first I thought there was a leak between he reservoir and the brakes but they were always working fine.
    Then the clutch started to get worse.

Herein lay the problem! :eek:
    7F2D2D50_zps4b5ea65c.jpg

Must say cheers to dgt for the help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Serviced the car today, oil, oil filter, air filter.
    Air filter was manky:
    XyB3yHEl.jpg

The msport side skirts I bought arrived so I fitted one to see what it will look like. Happy with the results. Have to get them sprayed before they go on for good.

Before (non m sport skirts):
    CATOf7Xl.jpg?1
    gMLV0vfl.jpg?1

After (m sport skirts):
    d0O09gBl.jpg?1
    7QMdWZ1l.jpg
    lm5ExV2l.jpg?1

Can't wait to get them on! Back bumper then after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Dord needs to do this, the results would be hilarious :pac:
    If it were diesel, I could have been interested - and found a beetle to put it in

I laughed so hard at that. Seriously, that was too funny.

Crying with laughter here man. Well played.

Hahahahaha just saw that now. I wouldn't trust the A-class with any more power. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I didn't really do that much I suppose, but did have a fiddle around with the car yesterday, it's a 1996 Pug 406 19. td I bought about 2 months ago. Got it for 750 and had to fix a few problems a couple of weeks ago that I didn't spot... bushings, rocker cover seal, driver door needed a good bending as there was a loud whistle above 70, and the fuel filler neck was dodgy, culminating in me being stuck at Topaz for about 20 minutes one time because the bloody fuel pump wouldn't come out of the car! Had a big incident a few weeks ago which I thought was caused by the turbo, dgt kindly supplied me with a replacement, big thanks for that, legend of a guy! Mech has all but ruled out the turbo after a thorough inspection, might be an injector problem. I'll bring a mechanic next time :o

Inside of windscreen and windows are really badly misting in the mornings, need to look further into this, had a look at door seals etc. but nothing obvious. Need to get a new pollen filter too.
    Fitted new flat blade wipers as the old ones looked like they were the original wipers that came on the car! :eek:
    Fixed an electric window, switch was dodgy, turns out the plastic casing had cracked, allowing the actual button that you push to move downwards when pushed, resulting in the micro switch underneath not being triggered. Bit of superglue sorted it nicely. 2 windows still faulty. One has broken cables in the door and the other could be the regulator, it behaves very erratically!

Rear demister switch also not working, and the bulb in the time clock is missing altogether. Pulled apart the demister switch completely as I couldn't see anything obvious when I removed it from the console. Spent a good hour at it and I came to the conclusion that the micro switch was fried. There were mechanical parts broken but I swapped them out with parts from another switch and no joy. Off to ebay for that one.

Time clock was another fruitless exploit unfortunately. I have fitted an aftermarket radio to the car, so the MFD is useless now. I pulled a working bulb out of the MFD to see if it would fit only to realise the part you put the bulb into the time clock was also gone. Bulb was wrong size too and therefore probably wrong voltage/ampage. That didn't stop me trying though! Filed down the sides of the bulb so I could fit it behind the clock's screen, jury rigged a wiring harness and connected up the bulb and glued it in place so I could reassemble and test it. Plugged it in and nothing. Ebay again!

Electric mirrors switch busted too, pulled it apart, nothing obvious. guess where I'm buying a new one :D

Had to buy a new gear knob too as the current one is a wreck, the plastic gear map has come out and edges of the circle around it are all jagged and broken, almost painful to change gears quickly.

I destroyed my undertray backing a trailer into the garden, a hedge branch tore most of it off. Stitched it up good and proper!
    IMG_02601.jpg

My main work was to do with the air intake pipe though. Its location is a bit of a design flaw and there are people all over the net who say their 406 has been hydrolocked from driving through very shallow water or even large puddles. Seeing my area is constantly getting floods during winter I thought I'd better see to this sooner rather than later! A quick fix is to just pull the pipe off the air filter till you're past the water but I don't want to have to keep doing this and also drawing hot air from the engine bay into the engine.

The pipe currently runs from the bottom of the air filter downwards, with a 90 degree bend towards the passenger side of the car. It runs from there into the left front wheel arch.

This red line is where I'm thinking of running the new pipe. I found a gap down the side of the radiator leading to the grille. You can see the gap in the 2nd photo, there's a small bit of light in the middle.
    IMG_02492.jpg
    IMG_02561.jpg

The standard air pipe is 7" wide, and a pipe that big won't fit, so I'm thinking of 3 or 4 sections of 4" pipe or 2 5" pipes, joining them together inside the engine bay once they're clear of the rad.

The idea is that the open end of the pipes are much higher up than the standard intake. I'm not sure whether plastic or rubber piping would stand up better to heat fluctuations from being so close to the rad, but I'm guessing rubber seeing as the pipes coming out of the rad are rubber.

the second problem is that rain water could very easily come through the grille and into the pipes if im driving at speed. The only thing I can think of to solve that would be to bend the ends of the pipes back on themselves using a cable tie, so the open part of the pipes will be facing the front of the rad. Id say the airflow would be good enough when I'm moving that the pipes will still draw cold air in. They might take in warm air at idle but that makes no difference!

Good or bad idea? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

20131026_201110.jpgMy car is now in the nip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Fuel sender finally replaced in the C5 (under rear seat access, 20 minute job for my mechanic) and the car now starts lovely and quick AKA normally :)

Two things I've learned since getting this sorted...

* Dealers can be right pricks to deal with, regardless of warranty.
    * Dodgy / washed diesel can really mess your engine up.

PS: Don't buy diesel for the Ross Station, Old Dunshaughlin to Navan Road (parallel to M3).

Advertisement