Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Heat and a well fitting socket is going to be your only friend on that job. Run the engine good and hot for a start then go out and buy a good gas torch. Sit the revs then at 1600 for a bit so its proper hot before your start with the torch. Godspeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Thought I would make use of the good weather to do a job that I have been putting off for a few months. The heater in my old Fiesta was never up to much. The coolant temp would always stay quite low. So I suspected a bad thermostat, or maybe it had been removed by previous owner.

So on the list was coolant flush and replacement, new thermostat, new water pump and new belt.

XQOQrqO.jpg

The car has 41k on it from new and is 35 years old.

OY5HKK5.jpg

Dropped the coolant and it was pretty bad. This is after about 4 flushes, still pretty brown.

KPbVD63.jpg

I then added the coolant flush product and ran two more flushes through it until it was all clear. I flushed and backflushed the heater matrix loads too, and a good bit of crap came out of it.

Did the pump, belt and dropped in the thermostat and put in new coolant without any issue.

Also added a battery terminal with build in isolation for when the car is park up for long periods.

vqLlKL7.jpg

Took the car out for a run to check everything - temp gauge sitting perfectly in the middle now all the time and the heater is nice and warm.

uIM8Y5o.jpg

Also saw this nice 2002 while out

mtB46fh.jpg

Next job is to do a full service and replace all the fuel and vacuum hoses. Have the bits ready to go. Will hopefully get to it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's a lovely Fiesta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I knocked off about 3 this afternoon and thought I'd be able to amuse myself for hours. However here I am with phase one complete and less drama than I expected. I only sheared two bolts out of 11. One had been broken before I got the car and may be the source of a small blow at low revs.

So coffee now while I decide if I go home and wallow in my glorious victory or get the drill out and start phase 2?????

49704846746_2d16dc94a2_c.jpg[/url]

49704846381_a5553f55bf_c.jpg[/url]

49704315083_ddbf1b20d0_c.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

My friend threw me the keys to his new workshop for today. The luxury of having a ramp. I didn't know myself.
    New Iridium plugs, high tension leads, 02 sensor distributer cap, rotar arm and a fuel filter.
    I'd read that changing the filter on these was a nightmare and it's true!

Over the next few days it's getting a timing belt kit, water pump, clutch kit and a new gearbox with an LSD. I'll be "helping" with all of that lot

• Advertisement

hL5xSjn.jpg

qBtie3m.jpg

IpCUlTK.jpg

YdzNJ2F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

So you were so happy with it you posted 3 times???

Jaysus, they only named the big Apple twice :D

Sheet, I didn't realise that! I was having a nightmare posting the pics. My bad.

nDtu6Vb.jpg

xd6Stku.jpg

Doing some repairs and prepping the skirts from the Motegi kit I bought a few months ago.
    She's finally coming together now.

Busy day today.

Clutch kit and LSD box installed. Car stripped and some priming done.

472Pje8.jpg

ggVnCTk.jpg

iuX4Hkh.jpg

OAVlUTi.jpg

HgIHMEL.jpg

oOaWDRd.jpg

dTFc0eO.jpg

• Advertisement

n2ZIo0r.jpg

luVKGqG.jpg

nuiqU9B.jpg

isHmWJQ.jpg

Nearly there, we ran out of paint. Need to hit the roof and bonnet later on.

Just out of curiosity what would a bumper respray cost if i took it off the car?

The big merc has a chip on the rear and few surface scratches - I was going to have a go at it myself with a spray can.
    The front had a nudge or something as there are a few scratches and I see the paint cracked in two places but the bumper feels solid over all. The front is less noticeable but probably more work in prep involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Not much, you can get colour matched paint on eBay, clear and base is only about €30, few sanding materials, about a fifth the price of a pro job.

Not much, you can get colour matched paint on eBay, clear and base is only about €30, few sanding materials, about a fifth the price of a pro job.

So a pro job would be about €200? Will check online for items, its not a priority job at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Also Vinny Bryne's as recommenced to me on here do that for E20 IIRC just call ahead with your paint code. Nice, helpful people too. Guess they are closed now though... but normally you can collect or have it posted.

https://www.vinnybyrne.com/

Also Vinny Bryne's as recommenced to me on here do that for E20 IIRC just call ahead with your paint code. Nice, helpful people too. Guess they are closed now though... but normally you can collect or have it posted.

https://www.vinnybyrne.com/

I've bought from them before. Will mix to a code and really good quality. I had a shopping cart picked a few weeks back just for budget purposes. Should have pulled the trigger now in hindsight.

Put it all back together today. Very pleased with how it turned out.

oFc4Z9h.jpg

LxTHMPD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

managed to get to motorfactors, got some paint, my audi side aluminium panels were flaking off, so got some etch primer paint and matt finish. looks not bad. ok for 12 years old car.

zTxYJ8m.jpg

9mduXDN.jpg

BcSwHI4.jpg

yVlod2p.jpg

ZOIya9a.jpg

3UfxvUJ.jpg

7DUZoUY.jpg

HW0LPXo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Went to take sump nut off yesterday no joy,hammer involved,also rounding of nut,
    (Wanted to get every drop out rather than use my vac pump
    Anyway had to resort to it in the end up,but didn't I knock over the shagging pump cannister and fecking oil all over my drive,so wire brush,Daz,old T shirt,brake cleaner used to clean up,one bollox of a day

Went to take sump nut off yesterday no joy,hammer involved,also rounding of nut,
    (Wanted to get every drop out rather than use my vac pump
    Anyway had to resort to it in the end up,but didn't I knock over the shagging pump cannister and fecking oil all over my drive,so wire brush,Daz,old T shirt,brake cleaner used to clean up,one bollox of a day

At least you had a nice day for it though eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

At least you had a nice day for it though eh?!

Up to then absolutely great, normally on a Honda insight ,sump nut is different as in its a square insert,this one( changed car last summer)it's a bloody 17 spanner job,I crucified it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

509349.JPG

509350.JPG
    509351.JPG

509352.JPG

This is what I did today and every day for the next year:

Make sure to follow along! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

Replaced the driver's door window in the A8. The outer pane had a crack in it since I bought it. The crack made no difference to it's function, and it's taken me over a year of scouring the web to eventually track down a direct replacement that is marked as an 'Acoustic' pane like the original. I found a seller on €bay with not one but two identical to my own, and as it turned out he needed the two as the first one he sent me was broken on arrival so he kindly sent me on the other one, which thankfully arrived intact.

rA8SpwMl.jpgOrNP7C0l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Voodoomelon, do you also have a silver X5?

Nope, jeeps ain't my thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Nope, jeeps ain't my thing. :)

Ah OK, I pass an 850 regularly in Dublin and he has an X5 outside usually too... Not you so!

This is what I did today and every day for the next year:

Make sure to follow along! :)

Nice car, sounds like the fundamentals are all there and she fired up nicely. I've subscribed to follow along as I am also traveling down the V12 road at present in an exercise of stupidity.

tBq2E19.jpg
    KiBpqcr.jpg
    6Hq4xIM.jpg

Check out the backed-out banjo bolt, this is why the valve covers came off to check em:
    pM5SmhS.jpg

Episode 3 landing this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

https://youtu.be/-DSuc2a_Y_M

I’m sure you’ve seen the above, Might be of help if not.

I didn’t realise he just sells them on at the end , kinda of makes me want my 45 minutes back

Advertisement