Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all, it's more what I didn't do but wondering best option for stone chip repair on a windscreen....

Give it a go myself or get a window place to do it.... Just happened, truck in left lane, I wasn't even that close and see a stone fly off the back lip and fly straight at my eye level.... If it freezes this will go cracking right across, it's about 2 cent size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi all, it's more what I didn't do but wondering best option for stone chip repair on a windscreen....

Give it a go myself or get a window place to do it.... Just happened, truck in left lane, I wasn't even that close and see a stone fly off the back lip and fly straight at my eye level.... If it freezes this will go cracking right across, it's about 2 cent size.

Check with insurance, most policies cover the cost of windscreen repair

cletus wrote: »
    Check with insurance, most policies cover the cost of windscreen repair

Not mine, trade....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Hello! I have been a busy lad,

If you want to know how to time these engines I'll show you because no one else will

Legendary stuff as always man :)

I don't want that but I do have a transit with a bosch pump crying out for a pigeon to have a fiddle with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

traco wrote: »
    Fair play - loving the neat and tidy sterile workshop conditions!

Have seen many a lad over the years with the best of environments, tools and facilities make a complete balls of the most basic jobs, let alone something a bit more in depth!

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Legendary stuff as always man :)

I don't want that but I do have a transit with a bosch pump crying out for a pigeon to have a fiddle with it :D

Been a while since I built up a VE :cool: from the 414 I used to get the shims for the dynamic advance, the head + plunger and the main governor spring for my 494 pumps, rarely I'd use TD Rover LDA pins and grind them down the way I wanted to suit the fueling of the turbo installed... Made for a funny driving D-Turbo :D maybe the pictures of me building them are at the start of this very thread still!

For the Transit I'd say best start looking for an exhaust manifold with a T3/T4 flange as you can fit a variety of different turbos along with pumps using a 12mm head or if you're daring... 13.5mm, usually found on some Massey tractors :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Long time no see, Mr. Pigeon! :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stark.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

and the summer wheels are gone ...

528208.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

wonski wrote: »
    Old badge removed:

The colour caught my eye, then I copped a digit on the reg plate and now I'm thinking that this was my old car - bought new in 2006
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Small job compared to some posters here, but anyway I changed my AFT today. Fresh Liqui Moly, OEM filer and pan gasket. Job was last done 5 years ago (and less than 15k miles) according to the service history, but I'm not sure it needed doing as the old AFT looked like it just came out of the can. Never done this before so not sure is this is normal.

I had to turn the engine to get the torque convert drain into position so had two drains going.

Wanted to do the diff too but could not get the drain plugs undone.

atf.jpg

Excuse poor pic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ciarsd wrote: »
    The colour caught my eye, then I copped a digit on the reg plate and now I'm thinking that this was my old car - bought new in 2006
    :confused:

It is 2006, going strong.

Amazing if that's the very same car :)

Any crashes or something I need to know?

• Advertisement

It is 2006, going strong.

Amazing if that's the very same car :)

Any crashes or something I need to know?

It has to be! Feel free to PM on it if you wish. I had the car for one year and traded for a 07 JTDm Monza (Blackline). The car was never in any accidents in my ownership, but did suffer a minor scratch to the bonnet 7 months into ownership thanks to some grit caught on the high pressure hose of my pressure washer. I had Carcraft work their magic on it.

Other than that, it was perfect when I handed the keys over (not a mark on those beautiful wheels either).

I had seen it infrequently after that, in and around the Naas Road/Rathcoole areas of Co.Dublin but not laid eyes now in ages. Enjoy it!

19726 or 19276 is the reg ;)

You had a pleasure to drive it brand new, I got it 14 years later with some minor issues, but very happy with it, very original look.

Not sure if it is still on the same wheels that you had as these are 18" and I think it originally was on 17"

Could be wrong on that.

One that looked like was worth saving from the scrapyard :)

There are still original gt mats in it and generally looks great for the year. Need to find time to fix minor issues and few interior damages (glove box handle etc).

Will post pictures when done.

Bit of Saturday work below, I tried something different because I couldn't be arsed getting photos nor did I really have the time (yet had the time to edit them afterwards!)

Bonus: rejuvenation of a Chevrolet Matiz for a work colleague, these were the exact pics and vids I sent him, along with what I thought of how it was minded prior to his ownership. Car is now with a full window, happy owner. Took about 3 working days total to complete

No piss poor attempt at dismantling this GM Matiz and walking away, this one was put back together right

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jaysus, I’d have weighed that Matiz in!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jaysus, I’d have weighed that Matiz in!

I would have too and got more satisfaction from doing so. Probably would have dragged it upside down with a tow chain behind the 607 out of spite. Nothing difficult about it; everything was very easy and accessible but a nasty hateful horrible little thing in general. That and some ape was at it before, the pinch bolts hubs ballsed up (reamed it out and put in our own bolts) where some one had gone at it with an impact when they made a mess of pressing in the race for example

The price of the car, work put into it, along with the parts, and VRT (yes, it was a UK car) would easily have bought that Picasso (running perfect now) with plenty of change left over or similarly priced vehicle, say about €2500!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m sure after all the surgery that the owner will be able to get a nice bit of service out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Bit of Saturday work below, I tried something different because I couldn't be arsed getting photos nor did I really have the time (yet had the time to edit them afterwards!)

What was the problem with picasso?
    Asking as I have exact the same engine in Volvo and still having issues with it.
    Mostly DPF regen cycles and some other error.

19726 or 19276 is the reg ;)

You had a pleasure to drive it brand new, I got it 14 years later with some minor issues, but very happy with it, very original look.

Not sure if it is still on the same wheels that you had as these are 18" and I think it originally was on 17"

Could be wrong on that.

One that looked like was worth saving from the scrapyard :)

There are still original gt mats in it and generally looks great for the year. Need to find time to fix minor issues and few interior damages (glove box handle etc).

Will post pictures when done.

No way, my hunch was right. It is the car '19276' - originally purchased from Airton Alfa January 2006 and traded back to them in January 2007 for no other reason than car mad stupidity and the want for the JTDm engine. Congrats!

Did you purchase it around Dublin? Intrigued as I had seen it on and off then never to be seen again so assumed it was sold on versus anything else.

Yes it was spec'd with the 18" multispokes - I'll dig out some photos if you like.

Bought in Dublin. Someone traded it in (left it in the garage as he had enough I think ;)

I posted a photo in the bargenomics thread when I bought it. Will post link to it later.

That is just funny.

What was the problem with picasso?
    Asking as I have exact the same engine in Volvo and still having issues with it.
    Mostly DPF regen cycles and some other error.

DPF warning message with the service light, DPF got clogged from when the plugs went bad. The other bits would have helped too (forced regens and the cleaning solution down the unit itself)

Had lots of room in the Picasso when I removed the bits in the video and fairly easy to do, I was told about some muppets trying to do them with all the trim still in place, I haven't watched the video but I'd say it's painful to watch

The car is a lot smoother on idle and more responsive. Great machine with lots of toys, but I wouldn't have one myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Finally got rid of the awful wheels that came with my 330, went for 10j and 9j wheels and removed the spacers. Looks a lot better than it used to anyway.

F8-B7-EC90-EE9-B-4559-958-B-1171321-C1-BDB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Finally got rid of the awful wheels that came with my 330, went for 10j and 9j wheels and removed the spacers.

Nice, they look chunky....Hunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Nice, they look chunky....Hunky.

Chunky indeed! Chunky for a reason, my previous dailies e36/e46 had a lower profile tyre and between eating suspension bits and continuous loss of tyre pressure I decided I'd just go with something sensible.

IMG-0052.png
    IMG-0054.png

See what I mean! Ignore the plates they were on their way to shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Didnt think it deserved a thread on it's own....
    Guys where would I find a hex bolt or similar for car bodypart. Dont want to go to ford and pay through the nose. Similar to below but I just want to pick it up.today.

Hex Flange boly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Most hardwares will have bolts, do you have another so you can match the length and size? Where in the country are you?

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Most hardwares will have bolts, do you have another so you can match the length and size? Where in the country are you?
    Dublin/Wicklow. I dont unfortunately have the old ones, just the body part itself, i might hyst test in the car park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Didnt think it deserved a thread on it's own....
    Guys where would I find a hex bolt or similar for car bodypart. Dont want to go to ford and pay through the nose. Similar to below but I just want to pick it up.today.

Hex Flange boly

If it’s a specific bolt I’ve found that ford are actually quite reasonable and will likely have it on the shelf.

I had to get 2 laminated driveshaft nuts from a while back and expected to be taken to the cleaners as they were both big (32 or 36) and very unusual-4€ was all they were.
    Also had to get specific injector return hose clips recently and got them for 80c each to my surprise.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    If it’s a specific bolt I’ve found that ford are actually quite reasonable and will likely have it on the shelf.

I had to get 2 laminated driveshaft nuts from a while back and expected to be taken to the cleaners as they were both big (32 or 36) and very unusual-4€ was all they were.
    Also had to get specific injector return hose clips recently and got them for 80c each to my surprise.

Thats really strange. I just went to the garage and was told I would have to buy the whole body part as it comes as a kit and I couldnt get the screws :mad:

EDIT: Just rang a different Ford garage, they will have them tomorrow for me. Hmmmm think someone was being lazy earlier. Thanks for the input guys.

Thats really strange. I just went to the garage and was told I would have to buy the whole body part as it comes as a kit and I couldnt get the screws :mad:

Breakers yard or online such as traynors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Had a small issue last week, power steering hose blew, seemingly it was rubbing up against the sump. Upon removing the pipe I found one of the engine mounts in two, it was previously repaired with some sort of Tec 7 or the like, bear in mind it should be a hydraulic filled mount! New hose from Pirtek and two new mounts gone in today and all is well again.

xtx5hV1l.jpg

UMxmhMsl.jpg

Newly installed:

fmkLjY3l.jpg

UiZGqaSl.jpg

Advertisement