Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Really annoying thing about the Octavia is the way the rain pours off the roof and on to the electric window switches. I’d imagine the deflectors would help with this.

That happens my car too. It should have wind deflectors as stock but mine are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Yea I put fresh oil on rubber seal. I do crank the s*it out of it though while putting the filter on which is the reason it does be well on there when I go to remove it.

I have a fear of sump plug or oil filter coming off. I even put loctite on the sump plug and now I'm worried the loctite mixed with the oil to contaminate it.

Yep, I am losing it. :pac:

At least you seem to do a thorough job. I've only ever hand tightened oil filter and never had issues, the torque spec is usually quite low around 10 lb-ft.if you have a torque wrench set it to 10lb-ft and place it on a bolt and see how little force that is, overtightened can ruin the rubber seal quite easily. Oil drain plug also just lubricate threads with a bit of the used oil or the fresh stuff if you like. Absolutely no need to go putting loctite on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Got the timing tensioner sorted today finally. Took me a lot longer than I would have liked but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to go back in again.
    The manual tensioner is a nice bit of kit and worth it for the peace of mind alone.
    I took the whole timing kit off and started from scratch, it wasn't in 100% correctly if I'm being honest. The intake cam wasn't in line with the timing marks properly and one of the balancer shaft pulleys was out a good bit too.

It fired right up afterwards and ran like a watch. I'm a happy man and I've earned this cold beer. Cheers.

Why is there what looks like two timing belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭passatman86

@Titzon any more pictures of the prelude itself

• Advertisement

One is called a balancer belt. That's as much as I know!

@Titzon any more pictures of the prelude itself

I took that after I'd just had it reprayed in my mate's place. He lets me use his workshop sometimes too if he's not too busy.

Paintedhttps://imgur.com/gallery/v8RsK23

v8RsK23

I don't have any expertise but I looked at the second photo and would hazard a guess that the first belt on diagonal is crankshaft to tensioner, the belt behind that you can see going vertical is crankshaft to camshaft and it seems there are also gears directly behind where the crankshaft is so I would presume it is driving both tensioner and up to the camshaft. I may be wrong but that's what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭passatman86

@Titzon looks quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Just fitted this little device.

IMG-20210205-214206.jpg
    IMG-20210206-120208.jpg
    IMG-20210206-120221.jpg

Meant to make a nice difference to the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What is that?

Gear box shifter isn't it where it joins pedal to box.... As in movement

Yeah sorry should have said. It slightly moves the gear linkage a little closer to the pivot point on the box so the throw on gear stick is reduced.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah sorry should have said. It slightly moves the gear linkage a little closer to the pivot point on the box so the throw on gear stick is reduced.

Is that another method of achieving the same improvement as installing a short throw shifter?

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Is that another method of achieving the same improvement as installing a short throw shifter?

This method you could still install one of those at the gear stick. May improve it even more.

This method you could still install one of those at the gear stick. May improve it even more.

Seems to be an easier installation than putting a shifter in. From the above photos it's just removing a few air intake pipes

Yeah it's the same idea as a shirt shift kit up where the gear stick is. All they do up there is move the pivot point of the selector at the gear stick, giving less travel(more force) needed. This does the exact same thing but it achieves it by moving the pivot point on the selector at the gearbox where the linkage from the gearbox attaches. If I were to shorten the throw any more it would become awkward to drive I would think, feels like it's in the sweet spot now, although 5th to 6th is very short but I can live with that.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah it's the same idea as a shirt shift kit up where the gear stick is. All they do up there is move the pivot point of the selector at the gear stick, giving less travel(more force) needed. This does the exact same thing but it achieves it by moving the pivot point on the selector at the gearbox where the linkage from the gearbox attaches. If I were to shorten the throw any more it would become awkward to drive I would think, feels like it's in the sweet spot now, although 5th to 6th is very short but I can live with that.

I see, I always thought the only way the shorten the throw was through the actually shifter in the car's cabin. Good to know. I'd love to get it done I've heard it's one of the best bang for your buck mods you can do as you touch the gear shifter so much and some have that built in mechanical "click". Pity I dont think they're available for my bog standard Hyundai i40 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I installed this Apple CarPlay unit today into my 2011 F10. Very impressed so far and allows full wireless Carplay or wired Android Auto. Time will tell if its buggy or not but first imprerssions are good at least.

https://www.android-car-dvd.com/products/ew964wadcp-f10-f11-f18?variant=35143168786595

542541.JPG

542542.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Looks surprisingly good for a third party retrofit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Just a very small job, the chrome bars in my headrest were a bit rusty. Googled what to do, rub with tin foil and either chrome cleaner, salty water or coke. Tried the first two both very effective! Not a perfect job but much more presentable. Duct tape on second pic is just to protect cloth while working on it.

IMG-20210213-122234.jpg

after.jpg

Picked up one of these Inbay wireless chargers on Amazon recently, they’re specifically designed for the Octavia.

16488916-245-E-4-EB5-AB0-B-D24654-A21600.jpg

Having a cable was annoying, especially because of where Skoda decided to put the socket, cable was always in the way
    84-BA1498-6399-4-CFC-9507-191-BE2-FB619-F.jpg

You’re supposed to be able to just pull the old unit out, but mine kept catching the USB/Aux, so out with the centre dash bits
    597-C821-D-73-AB-4274-ACAB-CB66-B77-DEAFB.jpg

Old vs new
    FA15-F407-BB8-B-4-CB4-A6-E9-5-CE1224529-A5.jpg

Just swap the top lid over to the new unit
    192882-C0-715-F-4-ECD-950-D-C5-A9-C1-CC58-EA.jpg

There’s just a fuse tap and a ground wire to be connected behind the glovebox
    398-D1942-53-F9-4-E47-B295-DD85734-AC7-DA.jpg

Because this was probably designed for LHD, there was a bit more messing involved with the cables, but all in all I’m delighted with it, it looks factory standard

86829331-06-DE-4-CFA-BD4-D-8216-EE0-CC70-E.jpg
    AD04264-C-4-E21-4-DBE-AFEF-D07-F27-E9-A5-B2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Thats a nice little satisfying upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Picked up one of these Inbay wireless chargers on Amazon recently, they’re specifically designed for the Octavia.
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with it. I've a wireless charging cradle type fitted in mine and find it woeful in comparison to a direct connection.

Top Dog wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with it. I've a wireless charging cradle type fitted in mine and find it woeful in comparison to a direct connection.

Yeah it definitely won’t be as quick as a cable. My phone only wireless charges at 7.5w because Apple.

I used it yesterday with Bluetooth streaming going, and it still charged it up a good bit. I’ll keep the cable in the glovebox in case I’m badly stuck for a quick charge some day, but the wireless charging seems decent so far.

Yeah it definitely won’t be as quick as a cable. My phone only wireless charges at 7.5w because Apple.

I used it yesterday with Bluetooth streaming going, and it still charged it up a good bit. I’ll keep the cable in the glovebox in case I’m badly stuck for a quick charge some day, but the wireless charging seems decent so far.

I like that. Brother Goodman has an Octavia. Forwarded the idea on to him

Cheap AliExpress led lights for the boot arrived today. Chose the Spanish shipping option thinking it might be faster, but still took 3 weeks to arrive. Can't really complain at less than €9 all in. Fitting was simple, didn't need the included wires. :)

544268.jpg

544269.jpg

544270.jpg

Next task - reversing camera :cool:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Cheap AliExpress led lights for the boot arrived today. Chose the Spanish shipping option thinking it might be faster, but still took 3 weeks to arrive. Can't really complain at less than €9 all in. Fitting was simple, didn't need the included wires. :)

Next task - reversing camera :cool:

I was thinking of getting similar, can you post a link? Are they noticeably brighter than the old ones?

I’ve done the reversing camera in mine, it’s reasonably straightforward.

I was thinking of getting similar, can you post a link? Are they noticeably brighter than the old ones?
    Considerably brighter. You can see the glow from the standard interior lights above the parcel shelf.

544284.jpg

These are the ones i ordered- 2Pcs LED Luggage Trunk Lamp for Skoda Octavia Fabia Superb Roomster Kodiaq Yeti PC Waterproof Dust-proof Interior Dome Light
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLViHnl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Could your Car have been on TV earlier TD?

Advertisement