Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Truckermal wrote: »
    Could your Car have been on TV earlier TD?
    Not to the best of my knowledge? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Top Dog wrote: »
    Not to the best of my knowledge? :eek:

Bit on TV earlier from the Air Ambulance base and I seen a Octy Estate like yours parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ordered - thanks!

Tried shipping from France.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Bit on TV earlier from the Air Ambulance base and I seen a Octy Estate like yours parked up.
    Wouldn't have been mine. I'm not even sure where the base is :D

For once plans worked out, and today I got my reversing camera fitted up and working. Relatively handy job, though I will admit i was paranoid about damaging trims and clips so it's not quite how I wanted it with the route for the wire. It can't be seen though which is the main thing, so I'll probably leave it as its. :o

New camera replaced old handle.

544395.jpg

Biggest headache was feeding the cable through here. Of course I ran a lead for a rear dash cam at the same time since I had the trim surrounds removed, and just because 1 lead wasn't enough misery :pac:

544396.jpg

Unexpectedly discovered that it all worked once connected up. I had expected it to need coding to the car. Added bonus was the moving guide lines :cool:

544397.jpg

• Advertisement

You can get another flexible tube grommet yoke for the drivers side to run the cables through.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can get another flexible tube grommet yoke for the drivers side to run the cables through.
    I considered that alright but in the end I got them through after a bit of a faff. :o

My issue now is that I've no idea how to run the cable for the rear dash cam that won't interfere with the curtain airbags. I don't think the lead is long enough to follow the same route as the reversing camera cable and then up the A-pillar :(

What’s the lead on the dashcam for? Is it connected to the front camera or just power?

What’s the lead on the dashcam for? Is it connected to the front camera or just power?
    Connects to the front camera and both cameras record to the one memory card in the main unit.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Connects to the front camera and both cameras record to the one memory card in the main unit.

Is it a data cable, or like a headphone jack?
    Maybe you can get an extension?

• Advertisement

Is it a data cable, or like a headphone jack?
    Maybe you can get an extension?
    Older mini USB type connections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If it is a USB connection you can get extensions for that.

Failing that you may just have to go under the carpet in the shortest direction to centre console possible.

If it is a USB connection you can get extensions for that.

Failing that you may just have to go under the carpet in the shortest direction to centre console possible.
    If I can work up the courage I'll try removing some of the passenger side lower trims to see if a more direct route might mean the cable is long enough. For the first time ever I'm worried about damaging trims and fasteners. Probably because I'm after a string of bangernomic cars where I wasn't even slightly worried about such things. Now I have something nice I want to try keep it that way :D

Wasn’t a major fan of the standard wheel

AC62-B879-380-A-43-DE-B4-BE-4-A415-C26-BA85.jpg

Luckily this arrived
    F642-E70-E-F4-D2-4-A45-BE84-6-F5174-DC8842.jpg

Unclip the airbag
    EE4-A68-A9-BA91-4710-808-B-188209-E082-EF.jpg

Bit of this
    2-BC89497-8-F61-44-BF-B52-C-56-FDDE2-C478-D.jpg

Boom
    851-F7429-29-B8-4-FC3-A20-A-915481424369.jpg

Feels way nicer too, quite an easy upgrade - way easier than I had thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Was that expensive? Probably get a few bob back putting your old wheel on ebay or the likes?

Was that expensive? Probably get a few bob back putting your old wheel on ebay or the likes?

I really lucked out on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

I really lucked out on the price.

Smashing job. Aesthetic mega-bump. Looks like you reused the centerpiece? Mad that is the same; looks so different!

You're right that old steering wheel wasn't very nice. The new one really modernises it.

dodzy wrote: »
    Smashing job. Aesthetic mega-bump. Looks like you reused the centerpiece? Mad that is the same; looks so different!

Just the airbag. Glossy black bit around it is part of the wheel, but looks to be the same.

How is the Octavia treating you colm? The brother has had bit of bad luck the few months after he bought his one. 191 VRS last January. Water pump went (Skoda sorted that fairly lively) and wouldn't start for him on a few occasions.... and he bumped off someone in a car park which called for a new front bumper but that was his fault :pac:

He loves the car and its probably one of the more powerful and practical yokes (estate) he's ever owned but he doesn't trust it anymore. He's on about getting rid of it but I'm trying to convince him to hold on to it. Hasn't given him any bother in the last 6 months or so I think.

• Advertisement

So....nice day for a service and a coolant leak repair (BMW 520d -2012).
    Shouldn't take too long (famous last words!)
    The culprit is the black plastic connector in the pic below. 2 star bolts visible; a third buried north of the left bolt meant the intake manifold had to come out.

545200.jpg

So, disconnected battery and a host of various connectors around the manifold and opened up necessary bolts to remove the entire unit (in red)

545206.jpg

Reasonably easy to take off once all connectors are out of the way

545203.jpg

Split the components to reveal 130K miles of Crud....

545204.jpg

545205.jpg

Continued below.....

Crud continued.... swirl flaps were in a very bad way.

545209.jpg

And after 2 aerosols of cleaner and a brush...

545210.jpg

Gave the intake ports wipe down.

545211.jpg

New part fitted.

545213.jpg

Topped up coolant, brought for a run and seemed fine. Back up on the jack for the oil and filters change and then reassembled. All good :)

545215.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Crud continued.... swirl flaps were in a very bad way.

545209.jpg

And after 2 aerosols of cleaner and a brush...

545210.jpg

Gave the intake ports wipe down.

545211.jpg

New part fitted.

545213.jpg

Topped up coolant, brought for a run and seemed fine. Back up on the jack for the oil and filters change and then reassembled. All good :)

545215.jpg

Nice job ðŸ‘ðŸ»

That was some amount of gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

So....nice day for a service and a coolant leak repair (BMW 520d -2012).
    Shouldn't take too long (famous last words!)
    The culprit is the black plastic connector in the pic below. 2 star bolts visible; a third buried north of the left bolt meant the intake manifold had to come out.

545200.jpg

So, disconnected battery and a host of various connectors around the manifold and opened up necessary bolts to remove the entire unit (in red)

545206.jpg

Reasonably easy to take off once all connectors are out of the way

545203.jpg

Split the components to reveal 130K miles of Crud....

545204.jpg

545205.jpg

Continued below.....

What did you use to clean off the carbon? and did it take long to bring it up to a satisfying level of clean? Just asking as I'd nearly do this to my own car as I'd imagine it would run a bit smoother? Great job by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    What did you use to clean off the carbon? and did it take long to bring it up to a satisfying level of clean? Just asking as I'd nearly do this to my own car as I'd imagine it would run a bit smoother? Great job by the way

Not sure what the op used, but I used some carburettor cleaner from Halford before to do the throttle body and it took maybe minutes.

Anything petroleum based can do really well.

BlakeS94 wrote: »

Wonski is on the money. Don’t go buying premium ‘Egr specific’ cleaners. I was there today and there must have been 6 or 7 options with big price variances. I got the cheapest ( and largest ) aerosol x 2. A generic “brake & parts cleaner”, 680ml each for 7 quid a pop. Very little Brush agitation needed. The myriad of chemicals deal magically with the gunk. I just placed the components in a regular basin and blasted them. Obviously it’s harmful if inhaled so outdoor use only. Whole job with service took me approx 3 hrs but most of that was me being cautious ensuring I’d everything disconnected and that I pinched nothing. Good thing here is that you actually only have 4 bolts to physically remove IIRC. The remainder are retained / non removable jobbies so it does make it much easier.

Only thing I would have done had bmw parts dept had one in stock was to replace the swirl flap carriage as it has 4 integrated gaskets that mate with the intake manifold on the block (circa €60). The ones on mine were letting slight passing but now I’m familiar with the job, I’d happily inspect & replace over the summer.
    For what it’s worth, the car feels peppier; I don’t think I’m imagining it either. I suppose when you think about it logically, it can breath better now. It’s gotta help.

Treated myself yesterday to this little baby so great opportunity to test it out. It’s a beast for the price in my opinion. Very well put together.

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/sealey-3040ar-trolley-jack-3tonne-rocket-lift-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE4ars1qwmpfxjBS1k20uNjr0sGzRBr-KB1him24BUkwOU9C4-SVYp8aAiV8EALw_wcB

For what it’s worth, the car feels peppier; I don’t think I’m imagining it either. I suppose when you think about it logically, it can breath better now. It’s gotta help.

You are definitely not imagining it as that was a series amount of gunk you took out. As you said it can breathe better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Wonski is on the money. Don’t go buying premium ‘Egr specific’ cleaners. I was there today and there must have been 6 or 7 options with big price variances. I got the cheapest ( and largest ) aerosol x 2. A generic “brake & parts cleaner”, 680ml each for 7 quid a pop. Very little Brush agitation needed. The myriad of chemicals deal magically with the gunk. I just placed the components in a regular basin and blasted them. Obviously it’s harmful if inhaled so outdoor use only. Whole job with service took me approx 3 hrs but most of that was me being cautious ensuring I’d everything disconnected and that I pinched nothing. Good thing here is that you actually only have 4 bolts to physically remove IIRC. The remainder are retained / non removable jobbies so it does make it much easier.

Only thing I would have done had bmw parts dept had one in stock was to replace the swirl flap carriage as it has 4 integrated gaskets that mate with the intake manifold on the block (circa €60). The ones on mine were letting slight passing but now I’m familiar with the job, I’d happily inspect & replace over the summer.

Treated myself yesterday to this little baby so great opportunity to test it out. It’s a beast for the price in my opinion. Very well put together.

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/sealey-3040ar-trolley-jack-3tonne-rocket-lift-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-OeBBhDiARIsADyBcE4ars1qwmpfxjBS1k20uNjr0sGzRBr-KB1him24BUkwOU9C4-SVYp8aAiV8EALw_wcB

So a regular brake cleaner will do the job? I have plenty of that in the shed, good value for money that Jack. I have a cheap 2 tonne halfords trolley jack that makes me hesitate any time its lifting the car, capable for what I need it for, although I wouldn't trust it to support the engine for something like an engine mount replacement, but for the money that sealey one costs it should last you a very long time.

• Advertisement

I used bardahl ‘brake and parts’ cleaner. Apologies, I did say 680 ml; they were 600ml tins. Worked a treat. Fast drying / no residue.

Advertisement