Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

dodzy wrote: »
    I used bardahl ‘brake and parts’ cleaner. Apologies, I did say 680 ml; they were 600ml tins. Worked a treat. Fast drying / no residue.

If brake cleaner works fine I dont see any reason why I should spend more on a product that doesnt clean any better, did you have to replace manifold gaskets or reuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

dodzy wrote: »
    I used bardahl ‘brake and parts’ cleaner. Apologies, I did say 680 ml; they were 600ml tins. Worked a treat. Fast drying / no residue.

Lidl sell brake cleaner at €2 a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Top Dog wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with it. I've a wireless charging cradle type fitted in mine and find it woeful in comparison to a direct connection.

Just to update, it charges 11% in 10 minutes, that’s while not streaming Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    If brake cleaner works fine I dont see any reason why I should spend more on a product that doesnt clean any better, did you have to replace manifold gaskets or reuse?
    The gaskets looked to be integrated onto the swirl flap carrier. I mention in the initial post that I’d have changed it if they had one in stock but the hadn’t. I’ll monitor and whip off the manifold chamber in June. If I’m not happy, I’ll change it then. It’ll be very handy next time around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Righto... I normally drive a van on a daily basis. About a week ago it began to lose power, then threw up the eml and began to intermittently lose power. Which was infuriating to drive to say the least...

So, basics. Plug it in
    wv1a3s3.jpg?1

Bit of looking up, seems to be a common problem. Started upstream, cleaned the heavily sooted sensor, fired in a can of dpf cleaner, changed the fuel filter (a bizarre method of shoving a bolt in the housings arse and walloping it off a vice thus would slip and fly all over the place)

Clear the codes, no different

So I asked our own cianryan for advice on the scenario and he pointed me to the pressure differential pipework.

Yesterday evening after work I went straight at it. 20 minutes later we find this:
    I4Yq3Uc.jpg?1

Bare in mind, I'm in my house and not the garage, with no equipment. So had to improvise with what I had lying about. I found some alu pipework and had to cut it with a vice grips and pliers
    i2BEtpm.jpg

Cut down to size and mill it down with the pliers
    7qY0tRi.jpg?2

Lots of araldite and tape
    7aQF3py.jpg?1

Refit. Fill with diesel and clear the code the next day during a quick coffee with another code reader.

With the clean dpf and the now strengthened pipe, the van is absolutely flying. Full power (what little it has) and then some. Delighted with this fix

Shame on Renault for making such a crummy part that commonly breaks and is miserable to get at. Shower of arsebandits that designed that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

With ebay being less enticing these days, I think I may have found a new addiction in AliExpress :D

Latest purchase is extensions for the steering wheel flappy paddles. Went with black for subtlety over shouty.

Before

545767.jpg

Paddles - just double sided tape to attach so we'll see how the longevity is

545765.jpg

545766.jpg

End result :cool:

545762.jpg

Thanks to Top Dog for the recommendation

7-E01-EEBA-1637-4-F8-A-B69-D-95-DF39-FB8894.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Drilled out my poppets for extra weight savings (I know clever). Must have put a lead on wrong or something cause it's not firing properly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Drilled out my poppets for extra weight savings (I know clever). Must have put a lead on wrong or something cause it's not firing properly now.

I done that once and also installed piston return springs when I was at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Saw that last night. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

How did it look on the flowbench, numbers were through the roof I'd say

Volvo is absolutely flying, but a few things to address on it... Suspension and steering is one of them. Original bushes meant the car was flopping all over the road!

So a new set of wishbone bushes and ball joints acquired, with drop links and trackrods

A simple task...I won't go into too much detail. Standard press me out/in bushes
    rvP7FLgh.jpg

Strip off the disc and back plate to make removing the balljoints much easier (car is supported on 2 wheels out of shot in case you're wondering)
    A9OKFpBh.jpg

Simple isn't it? The offside gave me trouble putting in the balljoint, however it eventually went my way. But I knew something wasn't right. When I went for a test drive, there was a horrible racket from the front right. Then I lost all drive, blocked the road and all! :o

This is the part where I don't have photos. Towed the car back (2 houses down where it happened), stripped the driveshaft in question. It had been cobbled together with jubilee clips and insulation tape by some moron, looked to have regular moly grease instead of CV grease and... Drumroll.. 4 out of 6 ball bearings :rolleyes: how was the car driving at all I'll never know, especially with the output it has... ;)

This happened around 8pm, needing the car for the next day leaving it was not an option! I cleaned up the original shaft to see was it serviceable. The cage had hairline cracks and wasn't going to last much longer. The inner race had been gouged in places, presumably from where the moron who cobbled it together beat it in place. The inter shaft was fine. I ended up rebuilding a passenger shaft from a D5 I had lying about (shout out to kilianmanning for supplying a lot of Volvo spares!) with bits of a drivers shaft to put back on the inter shaft. The CV joint to rebuild was... Tedious (I hate rebuilding joints btw as they're always messy). But I got it all back together (with 6 balls), back on the car (approx 5 mins to remove/refit, they are genuinely that handy). Now I could test the car properly, there was a faint slop on acceleration beforehand, now gone. The car now tracks fairly straight on hard acceleration and no ambiguity on the twisty roads. I'll get the rods and links fitted another day

Naturally, being covered in all sorts of grease and oil I couldn't take pictures, but I'll try to next time I'm at the garage and if I remember

Happy with the result, the car drives much better now. It's also very sad to know the fellas who owned the car before me (we know the previous 3 owners personally since the car was bought in 2002) would have paid top dollar in good faith to have the car kept tip top, and this is how it was treated when at the garage. Not the first serious mess up either, when I first got the car the brake fluid had turned into a grey paste, I couldn't rebuild the cylinder it was that bad, yet it had new discs and pads you'd think the so called "mechanic" working on it would have copped how awful the brake fluid was on visual inspection, let alone the silly brake travel it had with that fluid if you could call it that. Shameful

Edit: I found a video of my thoughts of the shaft. I'm genuinely being quite polite in the video, compared to off camera, but the language is a bit... Well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

http://imgur.com/a/0QTDRuH

Picked up two of these yesterday. They scrubbed up nicely. I'm gonna head down to my pal's workshop first chance I get to figure out a way of nailing them into my Prelude.

Oh yes! I like those.
    What's in the Prelude, H22A?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Oh yes! I like those.
    What's in the Prelude, H22A?

It is indeed a H22. I've a load of upgrades there for it but I haven't gotten around to nailing them on yet.

Ain't that always the story. Life gets in the way of a good project.
    They're a lovely engine, the black sheep of the Honda family but seriously drivable.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Ain't that always the story. Life gets in the way of a good project.
    They're a lovely engine, the black sheep of the Honda family but seriously drivable.

Yeah, they're a great lump alright. Horrible tax on it though. Only six more years.

After getting the hump waiting for a bonnet strut kit to arrive from AliExpress (ordered 27th January and should have arrived by March 4th) I went on Amazon last week and ordered the struts and ball bolts which arrived in less than a week. Fitted today which was easy as pie. Should have had an M10 spline bit for the screws in the bonnet but chanced an m8 Allen key which worked perfect. 4 screws out, 4 bolts in, click the struts in place, done :D

547956.jpeg

547957.jpeg

547958.jpeg

Still somewhat surprised they're not fitted from factory on what is probably near top spec of the range - especially given that the original support is perfectly positioned to obstruct the screen wash filter cap when in use :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Think I met you in Rathduff yesterday.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Think I met you in Rathduff yesterday.
    This time it very likely was me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

After getting the hump waiting for a bonnet strut kit to arrive from AliExpress (ordered 27th January and should have arrived by March 4th).................

548621.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
    Would you believe the kit got delivered this morning?! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Today I finally tracked down an annoying rattle coming from the back of the car. It felt like something was loose, like a licence plate or something, but could never find it in or out or under the car. Was all set to jack it up and take off the rear wheels next, when I found the pull cord for the rear seats had managed to slip off it's mount.

g9Dt26E.jpg

The wire was causing it to bounce all around against the exposed metal. Was driving me nuts for weeks!

Still at this Picasso, somehow... Failed it's test on brakes and light alignment (I did think it was fairly off on the way down alright)

Brakes changed, front and rear, discs and pads, you don't want to see me do that (and you won't anyway, it's fairly straightforward and was done in a flash, no photos taken), so here's how to change the pollen filter

(yes, I know I said B pillar instead of A pillar... Was thinking B for my back is b*lloxed :()

Later that day I decided to put the turbos on my Z. However I only got one done as putting on bigger turbos means space issues... I had to modify the RHS engine mount to clear and use a seat bolt from a Mercedes as it's own bolt would not clear :o I've no other photos as it was pelting hailstones and was generally fairly sh*te to have bare hands out trying to operate a condensation infested screen.

Pointless fact: the turbos are held on with 13mm nuts due to the Garrett turbos. Everything else on this car is usual Jap spec (8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24, 27 etc) except for the recent addition of the E12 Mercedes bolt!

Rulnr6ch.jpg

A few days before that, I got around to tidying up the front of my Volvo. I had experimented with an FMIC, one I butchered on from an E300 TD with very custom/ghetto pipework, so I purchased one from some online place. Opposed outlets, originally meant for a VR6 I think. Shoehorned to fit and I got to put on it's original bumper back on. I put the rub strips/headlamp wipers etc back on yesterday. The FMIC is slightly crooked in the pic below, it was straightened the next day with an aluminum bracket from a TV stand
    pFttL5Hh.jpg

And yes, me house in the background got some work done too. Thankfully, apart from rewiring the phone socket/repositioning the dish I had f*ck all to do with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Changed the front pads on my E90 3 series. forgot how easy this is to do. The hardest thing was getting the wheel off cause the last bloody place that changed my tyre must have been hanging off the wheel bolts. Next job is cleaning the EGR valve before getting it mapped out.

After getting the hump waiting for a bonnet strut kit to arrive from AliExpress (ordered 27th January and should have arrived by March 4th) I went on Amazon last week and ordered the struts and ball bolts which arrived in less than a week. Fitted today which was easy as pie. Should have had an M10 spline bit for the screws in the bonnet but chanced an m8 Allen key which worked perfect. 4 screws out, 4 bolts in, click the struts in place, done :D

Still somewhat surprised they're not fitted from factory on what is probably near top spec of the range - especially given that the original support is perfectly positioned to obstruct the screen wash filter cap when in use :rolleyes:

Can you send me a link to the ones you bought please?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you send me a link to the ones you bought please?
    AliExpress or Amazon?

Ali arrived 5 days after I fitted the amazon bits :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I've been chasing brake judder issues so I've done a few bits on the front end. This week I've replaced the front wheel bearings, discs and pads/wear sensor and last month I replaced the Thrust Arms. The wheel bearings were a real mission to replace, no problem if I had air tools handy but manually they required some arm time :pac:

2 x Lemforder Thrust Arms
    2 x FAG Wheel Bearings
    2 x ATE Discs and Pads.

InGpBtMl.jpg

lNtYa53l.jpg

pxXzzIFl.jpg

kQXDk6ml.jpg

wExOeA1l.jpg

9KWEXdll.jpg

How she is now:

X5Pga4Ll.jpg

ZL3Fc5nl.jpg

UBex59Vl.jpg

D5WT0GNl.jpg

Few small bits to sort now like the Tilt on the Sunroof, rocker gasket leak (have the parts, just need to fit).

I hope these links work, I'm not great doing this stuff!

EMFxngH.jpg

qcWrSWB.jpg

K08fjxr.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks fantastic to me, fair play!

Advertisement