Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options
1321322323324325327»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Luna84

Wow! Didn't know it was possible on a stock car. Was it user error? I have seen many gearboxes go out on YouTube but these are on highly modified cars with high HP and even built gearbox's but as I said they are high HP and driving the shít out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No error at all. Just wear and tear, and it's not unusual in toyotas, the one I previously owned had similar problems. Looks like rear bearings are made of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Thanks to lads at Traynors up North I hope my car will be soon put back to life again. Next week, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭passatman86

I changed a fog light bulb... I know - mechanics is one my strong points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Could not find wipers for my camper anywhere, motor factors or online. They were some very old type - a straight arm with just a small dimple to put a plastic adapter on. 

Eventually found adapter to let them take a more modern wiper on AliExpress, of all places. 

Drilled two holes and bolted them on. Could only find 4mm bolts locally so it was a bit hairy drilling the hole for them in steel about 6mm wide! 

Before (forgot to get a pic before I drilled the holes)

After

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They look like the old Toyota style wipers, flos.ie sell them

Cheers, that’s an interesting site actually. I know if I kept digging that I’d find them but I wanted to be able to easily replace them in the future too so this was the best solution for me. But a good shout nonetheless 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I've 6 Toyotas with thoses wipers and genuine wipers were the only ones I could find

My camper is a Mitsubishi cab and chassis from the 80’s so it must be a Japanese thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

It hath been a while…

Seeing as my father has my S60 in the interim (he's absolutely loving it btw. Loves the power it has and the sound of the 5 cylinder, in beige comfort. Doesn't love the fuel economy. Santa Fe engine died again for the final time, excessive blowby this time not the usual sludge in the pickup, how can a manufacturer make such sh*te is beyond me) I've been in the E34 as my main vehicle (apart from the work van)

I noticed a small leak one day in the drivers footwell. Small leak, with a nice simple fix:

The cause was a mix of 2 things: where the IHKA (or heater matrix if you must) meets the bulkhead it's seal can become brittle with age, along with the water channel below it becoming clogged with leaves etc the water will get in this way. The other cause was the matrix, which had let go with a mix of old age and a failed HG. Both of these components had been out before sometime in the 90s, and both done by complete morons. The HG especially, with loose head bolts, threaded bar instead of set screws, missing bolts/nuts/dowels, cobbled up wiring. This last part was rather tragic, imagine you've paid for work to be done and instead of a proper mechanic who takes their time to do the job right you get some sort of arrogant mouthy knowitall funny fella (you know the type, a google everything moron who thinks he's a great lad cracking jokes at someone but can't take it back themselves, typical sad c*nt) who along with breaking connectors and taping loose ended wires together with no connectors, also stuffs bare ends into pins:

How the car was driving any way reasonably is beyond me. Do I now have to start checking head bolts, plug connectors and for missing brackets/components when I get a new vehicle? Could you imagine someone bringing the aforementioned moron along when purchasing a car to check it over?!

While I had it apart I got to undo the bullsh*t audio wiring (house grade wiring. For a house. Someone paid an aforementioned f*cktard for audio and they got house grade wiring) and installed a basic amp with proper wiring. It's not perfect as the radio I'm using was from some car from 2 decades ago I can't remember, but I'll get it right. I got to relocate the battery under the seat and fix the fan resistor too (using Mrs Pigeons car as a table) along with lots and lots of other small stuff I genuinely can't remember

I've a lot to tidy up still, but with the interior cleaned up it's not a bad effort as is. I've other trickery under the bonnet, but that's for another time (some may have copped one of the various "upgrades" in one of the pics above for example)

For now, I'll keep wafting about and enjoying the car with the rosewood essence, reminding me of the mid 90s

• Advertisement
Advertisement