Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Not today but yesterday and not me but someone driving a civic kicked up a stone and cracked my windscreen :mad::mad: and just a couple of months after MM polished and put G1 on it for me :mad::mad::mad:

At least I have windscreen cover but I don't know what the story is yet with getting toyota glass for it is...

The worst part of it all was the the bang when the stone hit was so loud and gave me such a fright I was shaking like a leaf when I got to dgts house :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Not today but yesterday and not me but someone driving a civic kicked up a stone and cracked my windscreen :mad::mad: and just a couple of months after MM polished and put G1 on it for me :mad::mad::mad:

At least I have windscreen cover but I don't know what the story is yet with getting toyota glass for it is...

The worst part of it all was the the bang when the stone hit was so loud and gave me such a fright I was shaking like a leaf when I got to dgts house :o

Nothing worse than that, I remember when a pothole decided to do that to mine, even though you got cover it's still annoying when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That sucks DZ :(

At least now you won't have to polish the screen and you saw me applying the G1 so you could do it yourself if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Thats crap :( I only had the focus about a month when the windscreen went in sh!t stone hit and cracked the outside pane. The crack was over one foot and a half. At least you have windscreen cover that's what counts.

That sucks DZ :(

At least now you won't have to polish the screen and you saw me applying the G1 so you could do it yourself if you wanted.

Would a new one just need to be perfectly clean before the G1 is applied?

Definitely will be using that on my windows forever I think:)

I am also thinking of giving I1 a try. Have you used it/is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Today I changed a headlight bulb in my astra h. Boring but necessary all the same. Bit of a pain to do as you have to go in through the wheel arch!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Tis why mud flaps should be mandatory. My windscreen is full of scratches and has a nice chip on her too from the last owner. Sure I hope to be selling her in the new year anyway so feck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

And??? :pac:

Today I got the cerium oxide and rayon pad at all the glass again, mainly to remove the old Gtechniq G1 but also to remove more scratches in the windscreen. Then I applied 4 coats of G1 to the windscreen and 2 coats to the rest of the glass. I didn't have to do it but I said I would while I had the chance.

It started pissing rain 5 minutes after I finished removing the residue! Close call!

Also used the DAS6 Power+ for the first time and I love it. Even though it's a higher torque motor, there's a LOT less vibration coming through your arms compared to the DAS6.

How much is the cerium oxide and rayon pad? And how does it compare to DAing paint?
    Got to use the DA the other day for the first time, but it started raining, so there's a 2 x2 sq on my roof that's swirl mark free!:/ looks rediculous at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

is the crack really bad? could you get those resin repair jobs you see on the telly, where they fill the crack and melt in the glass so it becomes perfect again. I dont think the levin shares its windscreen with other models.

is the crack really bad? could you get those resin repair jobs you see on the telly, where they fill the crack and melt in the glass so it becomes perfect again. I dont think the levin shares its windscreen with other models.

It is a crack not just a chip, can cracks be repaired that way?

I'm not sure if it shares the screen with a different model but knowing toyota it probably does :p

• Advertisement

It's the business! As for I1, yes I've used it. I've even applied it to the shoes I wear when valeting. Any water will just run straight off and the shoes remain dry. As with all Gtechniq products, it's class :D
    Scortho wrote: »
    How much is the cerium oxide and rayon pad? And how does it compare to DAing paint?
    Got to use the DA the other day for the first time, but it started raining, so there's a 2 x2 sq on my roof that's swirl mark free!:/ looks rediculous at the moment

I got the cerium oxide from cleancar.ie. It's called Ceriglass and comes in a small bottle (enough to last ages though if you use water as a lubricant). The rayon pads I got on ebay as cc only had the spot size ones in stock at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It is a crack not just a chip, can cracks be repaired that way?

I'm not sure if it shares the screen with a different model but knowing toyota it probably does :p

just checked toyo-diy there, the part number is 56111-1A730 for an ae111 levin/ trueno screen and if you search what other cars that part number is used in, its none :(http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=56111-1A730&mU=on

just checked toyo-diy there, the part number is 56111-1A730 for an ae111 levin/ trueno screen and if you search what other cars that part number is used in, its none :(http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=56111-1A730&mU=on

That sucks. What do you think the chances are of toyota being able to get one in for me?

That sucks. What do you think the chances are of toyota being able to get one in for me?

They'll get one in for you no hassle but whether or not your insurance company will pay for it or not is another story. That's why they have their "preffered installers".

You could just ask them what will they pay and you make up the difference.

They'll get one in for you no hassle but whether or not your insurance company will pay for it or not is another story. That's why they have their "preffered installers".

You could just ask them what will they pay and you make up the difference.

That's what I'm hoping for :)

i'm sure they could get it, for a price :P

i'm sure they could get it, for a price :P

That's what I'm afraid of :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Surely a breaker would have one if you are stuck. Im not sure how good a second hand screen would be though.

Also if you are to get a new screen a genuine Toyota screen will be hard to beat. Those aftermarket screens that windscreen companies use have cheap seals which causes the paint to wear off around the screen over time.

i was going to recommend a second hand screen as there are so many levins being broken you'd literally get one for €10-20 ish. but seeing as you mentioned you had MM polish all the scuffs off your screen i assume you would want it replaced with a similarly immaculate screen. that said with the money you've saved by going second hand you could easily pay him to do it again. and as John says i'd rather a second hand genuine toyota screen than a spurious new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

i was going to recommend a second hand screen as there are so many levins being broken you'd literally get one for €10-20 ish. but seeing as you mentioned you had MM polish all the scuffs off your screen i assume you would want it replaced with a similarly immaculate screen. that said with the money you've saved by going second hand you could easily pay him to do it again. and as John says i'd rather a second hand genuine toyota screen than a spurious new one.

It wouldn't be as big a deal with an older car like a levin (sorry DZ), mainly because there's nothing like auto-wipers on older cars which tend to get screwed up with spurious replacement screens for newer cars. The only issue I can think of for older cars with spurious screens is the omission of a slot to view the VIN number on the windscreen. Then again, that's optional on most cars anyway so might not even be on the car.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be as big a deal with an older car like a levin (sorry DZ), mainly because there's nothing like auto-wipers on older cars which tend to get screwed up with spurious replacement screens for newer cars. The only issue I can think of for older cars with spurious screens is the omission of a slot to view the VIN number on the windscreen. Then again, that's optional on most cars anyway so might not even be on the car.
    The thing is though, in my experience spurious screens for Toyotas seem to be fitted with harder or il fitting seals. Over time this leads to wearing of the paint(down to metal) around the windscreen to which the seal is in contact with. This in turn leads to rust.

I can't speak for a levin but any corolla I've seen fitted with an aftermarket screen has had some light degree of rust around it where the paint has worn away.

I've never come across this issue where a genuine screen is fitted.

Hmmm interesting, I don't really want to go down the root of a secondhand one because I don't know if I could get it from another car without it breaking. Also I don't know if my insurance will pay anything towards it/for fitting it. I'll see what the price of a new toyota one will be but I'm thinking I'll go new spurious over secondhand... Am I mad?

@ challengemaster you don't have to apologize for saying the truth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Surely a breaker would have one if you are stuck. Im not sure how good a second hand screen would be though.

Also if you are to get a new screen a genuine Toyota screen will be hard to beat. Those aftermarket screens that windscreen companies use have cheap seals which causes the paint to wear off around the screen over time.

Thats not from the seals its from them scrapping off the old seals and damaging the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

My aul toyota has slight misfire on idling, howewer it doesnt stop her fly through Nct, checked sparplugs, them didnt look good to me (was changing myself couple years ago, with cheap bosch ish ones which cost something 4 euro each.

Ordered right sparkplugs . Hopefully they are right, acording denso web catalog ( as far as i know denso is main electrical/sensor part suplier for toyota) , suggested irridium, so denso IK 20 ordered , not cheap . Local motorfactors wanted 28 € for each, micks garage doesent have, so ordered from uk, cost 43.82 £ delivered. Fingers crossed will receive mid next week, and will sort idling issues.

i had quite the opposite effect in the starlet. there was copper plugs in it when i first bought it and it ran perfectly, but ever since i switched to dendo irridium plugs its developed the slightest misfire. now its passed the NCT twice with them and, its hardly noticeable but its certainly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i had quite the opposite effect in the starlet. there was copper plugs in it when i first bought it and it ran perfectly, but ever since i switched to dendo irridium plugs its developed the slightest misfire. now its passed the NCT twice with them and, its hardly noticeable but its certainly there.

Is that 1.3 turbo one? Turboed engines needs verry soecific sparkplugs, depend on mods and driving style, apart right plugs, need to get "cold" or "hot" ones.

If that non turbo one, i had a look, there is allright irridiums as optional, hovewar always been adviced use in non turbo engines, as simple as possible.

But in my case, if you have a look on mk1 avensis, 1.8 petrol, 7a-fe engine, '98, in globaldenso.com , they says irridiums recommended. So fingers crossed i didnt waste money.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Thats not from the seals its from them scrapping off the old seals and damaging the screen
    No in this instance it was from the new seals, or at least it was on the cars I've come across.

Some cars even have dodgy seals from the factory that wear away the paint. An example of this is the mid to late 90's 5dr civic.

I no what your on about though, I've seen that happening too. The last time I seen it though was on a 96 seat ibiza. A lot of fitters can be rough when fitting new screens. It seems the companies they work for, would rather a quick job instead of a quality job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Decided to have a go at trying some spacers on the rear and already had 15mm, 12mm and 5mm to hand. Undone the wheel nuts only to find the wheels stuck to the hubs, a quick bang with a length of wood (no sniggering) and found the lips on the wheel hub to be fairly shoddy. Wire brushed the worst of the **** off them, sanded them clean and applied some copper grease to prevent it happening in future. Tried the 12mm spacers first and the result was comical, was raining so didn't take a picture but I would definitely have won the super BMW hellaflush championship. Took them off and tried the 5mm ones which were pretty much perfect fitment but the RHS rear was rubbing ever so slightly under compression. Although the car is low and the offsets are fairly aggressive, I'm not into rubbing or any sort of detrimental effects on the car's performance so off they came as well.

So I basically worked outside in the rain for a few hours, only to have the car exactly as it was before I started. The joys of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Led time for BMW E60...
    12v, orange

DSC_1533.JPG

DSC_1564.JPG
    DSC_1565.JPG
    DSC_1567.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Dropped the transmission out of the car to replace some worn seals that had started to leak..

IMG_5555_zps9a25c354.jpg

IMG_5559_zps0950f271.jpg

IMG_5557_zpsc0af117f.jpg

Advertisement