Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pics? Easy to wire up?

Took pics of some of the install,
    Will get some pics in the dark shortly.
    Basically plug and play as they were made for the mk5 golf.
    One earth wire
    One power wire which plugs into a main terminal on pin 50
    Run wires to under dash both sides and cut holes to fit lights.
    The rears were easier as there are sluts under the seats to pop them into.
    Then tick the boxes in vcds and away you go.
    Bright when entering/exiting car and very dim while driving to give ambience effect.

Last set I only got 4 weeks out of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

vectra wrote: »
    The rears were easier as there are sluts under the seats to pop them into.

Jesus, no wonder Skoda does so well in satisfaction surveys.

Jesus, no wonder Skoda does so well in satisfaction surveys.

LOL
    PMSL

I meant SlOts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

vectra wrote: »
    LOL
    PMSL

I meant SlOts :D

What do you be searching for that you put that into auto correct :D

YbFocus wrote: »
    What do you be searching for that you put that into auto correct :D

That'd be telling ya :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Speaking of which....

N8yqeLVl.jpg
    elcXoK3l.jpg

uXRyGkPl.jpg

Been meaning to do this for an age. Bought spurious lights and they turned out to be sh!te so waited out for OEM. A guy turning his crashed M3 into a Saloon sold me his for a great price so in they go.

Just need to get the LCM re-flashed to get rid of dash errors, fit the boot lights and I think I'm done with retrofits to this car. Maybe some more coding trickery.

Might be in touch BMstuff. ;)

Really want to do this to mine.

In what way are the spurious ones sh!te? Thinking of going down this route with some eagle eyes. Seem like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

just picked up one of these for the glanza. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iSM6o0x9dY

delighted because the car has original kenwood speakers in the rear shelf so now i have a matching headunit and my OCD can breathe a sigh of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

just picked up one of these for the glanza. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iSM6o0x9dY

delighted because the car has original kenwood speakers in the rear shelf so now i have a matching headunit and my OCD can breathe a sigh of relief.

Whats beneath the CD slot is that a mini disc player also?

Would love an OEM player back in the mr2 but too used to mp3 cd - USB playback and bluetooth car kit (Blaupunkt not the alid shit :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ma head is getting reworked. Valves polished then lapped in, ports cleaned and polished, seals replaced etc. Hope to source out a higher flowing oil pump for the bottom end in the next few days

I'll show you's all pics if yer interested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

BillJ wrote: »
    Really want to do this to mine.

In what way are the spurious ones sh!te? Thinking of going down this route with some eagle eyes. Seem like good value.

Definitely go for it, really freshens up the rear of the car and it's a 30 min job.

Sorry, should have been more specific, the particular set I bought were in ****e, had been ripped out of a car, wires cut and were generally in bad nick so I sent them back. Also, they had been advertised as OEM, not Eagle Eye. By pure chance I got a set of OEM ones at a reasonable price the same week.

That said, I've read mixed reviews of Eagle Eyes. Also, they don't have the diffuser that gives the OEM lights that distinctive look. Failure rates on Eagle Eyes are apparently higher than OEM too. If you can at all, go OEM.

When was your car built? Cars after September 2001 have the newer LCM, before then will be a trip to the dealer. Luckily, mine rolled out of Regensburg on 22nd October :D

• Advertisement

Definitely go for it, really freshens up the rear of the car and it's a 30 min job.

Sorry, should have been more specific, the particular set I bought were in ****e, had been ripped out of a car, wires cut and were generally in bad nick so I sent them back. Also, they had been advertised as OEM, not Eagle Eye. By pure chance I got a set of OEM ones at a reasonable price the same week.

That said, I've read mixed reviews of Eagle Eyes. Also, they don't have the diffuser that gives the OEM lights that distinctive look. Failure rates on Eagle Eyes are apparently higher than OEM too. If you can at all, go OEM.

When was your car built? Cars after September 2001 have the newer LCM, before then will be a trip to the dealer. Luckily, mine rolled out of Regensburg on 22nd October :D

New Eagle eyes from the german ebay delivered for about 130ish is tempting! But would of course go OEM if I got them reasonably.

My car is 2003 but built late 2002, it's pre facelift. Does this mean that if I got OEM ones it's plug and play? or do they still need to be flashed? (whatever flashed means:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

New Eagle eyes from the german ebay delivered for about 130ish is tempting! But would of course go OEM if I got them reasonably.

My car is 2003 but built late 2002, it's pre facelift. Does this mean that if I got OEM ones it's plug and play? or do they still need to be flashed? (whatever flashed means:P)

be careful buying headlights from continental european sites or you could easily end up with LHD lamps

be careful buying headlights from continental european sites or you could easily end up with LHD lamps

Didn't think of that cheers. But these are tail lights, no difference in tail lights as far as I'm aware is there?

You'll need to get retrofit cables from BMW, they're about €52 for the set, part number B6112 0153 650. I might actually have a spare set if you do go OEM.

Once you have them, you can plug in the lights and they'll work but you'll have errors on your dash. You'll also get a nice lightshow on startup as the car runs pre-flight diagnostics and flags the errors on your dash. :D

BMW can upgrade/flash the LCM but have a look on BMW-Driver for someone to do it for you. I'm still trying to find out if I can get the adaptive braking to work, haven't found a definitive answer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Didn't think of that cheers. But these are tail lights, no difference in tail lights as far as I'm aware is there?

I bought Depo rear lights from eBay.de and have found them to be fantastic. Easy swap, no errors and my e46 is an 01. I reckon it's one of the best things I did to my car.

You'll need to get retrofit cables from BMW, they're about €52 for the set, part number B6112 0153 650. I might actually have a spare set if you do go OEM.

Once you have them, you can plug in the lights and they'll work but you'll have errors on your dash. You'll also get a nice lightshow on startup as the car runs pre-flight diagnostics and flags the errors on your dash. :D

BMW can upgrade/flash the LCM but have a look on BMW-Driver for someone to do it for you. I'm still trying to find out if I can get the adaptive braking to work, haven't found a definitive answer yet.

Adaptive braking would be a cool feature!

How much would I be looking at to get a second hand set of OEM lights?
    I bought Depo rear lights from eBay.de and have found them to be fantastic. Easy swap, no errors and my e46 is an 01. I reckon it's one of the best things I did to my car.

No problems with LED's going dead? Aftermarket does seem to be the easy way to go about it

These seem like good value: http://www.ebay.de/itm/LED-RUCKLEUCHTEN-SET-in-ROT-WEISS-fur-3er-BMW-E46-Coupe-4-99-TUNING-EAGLE-EYES-/310796645700?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item485cec7544

Adaptive braking would be a cool feature!

How much would I be looking at to get a second hand set of OEM lights?

Anywhere north of €250. To be honest, the biggest problem I found was locating a set in good nick and buying them before they were sold.

dgt wrote: »
    Ma head is getting reworked. Valves polished then lapped in, ports cleaned and polished, seals replaced etc. Hope to source out a higher flowing oil pump for the bottom end in the next few days

I could be bothered to take a few snaps afterall :)

Some work the most of you will never ever see being done again I'd safely say.

Head looks a lot better
    Image1076.jpg

Valves are all polished up
    Image1077.jpg

5 lapped in
    Image1078.jpg

You might be able to see the pitting in this pair. The coarse side of the tin had to be used for some of the valves :eek:
    Image1079.jpg

Lapped in using this pair (any of you old enough to remember doing it all by hand?)
    Image1081.jpg

Ports polished (sorry, difficult to get pics and I couldn't be arsed turning the head over)
    Image1080.jpg

Still waiting on my higher flowing oil pump. I intend on strapping on another turbo after I do my maths and plot some graphs..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Still waiting on my higher flowing oil pump. I intend on strapping on another turbo after I do my maths and plot some graphs..... ;)

Got to be something insane even more insane!
    Is that to replace or compliment the existing turbo?
    Can that even be done, a twin turbo 406?

Got to be something insane even more insane!
    Is that to replace or compliment the existing turbo?
    Can that even be done, a twin turbo 406?

If it can be done on a 306, it can be done on a 406! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

S8 oil cap for teh lulz

Schmoked up the carina by turning up the fuel pump (well DGT did while I watched with interest :D)

Oh, and added a few new badges to the carinalfamw!
    564042_10152044608594528_227210919_n.jpg

1480662_10152044609409528_1010041379_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Love the badges. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Poor Carina i give it a month :p

Poor Carina i give it a month :p

Haha she ain't seen a driver like me in her previous 420k miles that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Bought an iPod interface for the headunit ... and I don't even own an iPod :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Haha she ain't seen a driver like me in her previous 420k miles that's for sure.

If that oul lad could see his car now. Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Small service and coolant change, ok now for winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I could be bothered to take a few snaps afterall :)

Some work the most of you will never ever see being done again I'd safely say.

Head looks a lot better
    Image1076.jpg

Valves are all polished up
    Image1077.jpg

5 lapped in
    Image1078.jpg

You might be able to see the pitting in this pair. The coarse side of the tin had to be used for some of the valves :eek:
    Image1079.jpg

Lapped in using this pair (any of you old enough to remember doing it all by hand?)
    Image1081.jpg

Ports polished (sorry, difficult to get pics and I couldn't be arsed turning the head over)
    Image1080.jpg

I do it all by hand still. Starting another engine build and again will be all done by hand. I have my technique down though :-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I do it all by hand still. Starting another engine build and again will be all done by hand. I have my technique down though :-P

Thems is fighting words :P

Advertisement