Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I wanted to use them to put between the jacking blocks and the rubber pad on my jack. I'm always afraid of the jack catching the side skirt so another chunk between the block and jack would be ideal.

Also I might do exactly what you did with the axle stands. Once my car is up, there's not many places to position an axle stand due to plastic undertrays all over the place.

So actually same reason I had - 6, maybe 7 points under the car I can put a jack/stand at. :mad:

I'd say decathlon (and parcel motel) is the only option to get them - I guess ice hockey is not really popular here, so quite difficult to buy related stuff. ;)

===========

End of puck story - 2 sets ready to work:

282630.jpg

And working!

282631.jpg

Unregistered Users

Now, what I really did to my car today - brake shoes replacement.

Here's the source of grinding noise, actually no surprise at all - that's exactly what I expected to see:

282640.jpg

That's one of the shoes located on passenger's side. Another one had approx. 1mm of "meat" left. Surprisingly shoes on the driver's side looked like new:

282641.jpg

New shoes installed. Easy as fcuk. ;)

282642.jpg

Brake drums were replaced 2 years ago, have no damage from old shoes, so let them stay.

My idea was to do brakes all round in one go. I failed. Lack of time due to unexpected circumstances - driver's side front dust cover ended its life. Have replacement alright (some may remember I bought entire car to have spare parts :D ), but replacement is quite tricky - wheel hub must be removed to do so - centre hole in dust cover is too small to get through:

282638.jpg

Decided to do a modification to avoid a hassle with a hub - all that drive shaft and hub removal, etc etc. - cut a cover. Here you can see it, additionally the very old one as a bonus:

282643.jpg

Had to drill old bolts that kept a cover, took too much time. New holes drilled, new threads made, cover on its place, car left on axle stands until tomorrow.

Hopefully weather will let me finish my story. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Don't mix that up with your KY Jelly, that'd be a disaster

Slippery slope.

On the subject of drums. The trafic and coupe both have disks all round. Makes me soo happy. No adjusting.

The rear calipers in the coupe are miniscule. I really laughed when I saw them

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I started my car for the first time since I bought it 14 months ago, without it binging/chiming/ringing at me. Originally it had been chiming away at me to say the Parrot Bluetooth set wasnt connected up correctly (not my fault, previous owner chopped all the cables). I got that all fixed up, but at that stage it was then chiming away for a service (and fuel) for the last 3 months or so. Got her serviced and all's quiet when I start her up..... I oddly miss the chimes now.

PS. Its trying to keep chiming, got a "steering column lock defective" error for a few seconds 2 days ago.... touch wood n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

joujoujou wrote: »
    So actually same reason I had - 6, maybe 7 points under the car I can put a jack/stand at. :mad:

I'd say decathlon (and parcel motel) is the only option to get them - I guess ice hockey is not really popular here, so quite difficult to buy related stuff. ;)

===========
    just to let you know decathlon ship to the republic.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Since when?

[...] Unfortunately, we currently only deliver within the UK. Please note that your delivery address and billing address must both be in the UK. (Although they need not be the same as each other). In addition, we are currently unable to deliver to the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Wight or the Isle of Man. Our team is working hard to find a solution for you. [...]

Or maybe their delivery page is out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Refurbished a steering wheel.

My van originally came with a horrible, spindly, hard plastic steering wheel.
    A few years ago I managed to source one from an upmarket model that was nicely padded with foam all around.

Lately the padding on the outer ring had started to come loose, the foam had detached from the steel core and you could twist the padding on the wheel between around 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock. Not only not nice, but in a LHD car also mildly unsafe as this is the spot where the one hand holds the wheel while the other shifts gear.

So, I took the wheel off (thankfully, no airbags so it's a two minute job) and put it on the kitchen table for the operation.

Got myself a big 20 ml syringe, a thick needle and some Unibond 100% glue.
    Punched holes in the back of the steering wheel where you can't see it, stuck that needle in and worked it down to the steel core, injecting a blob of glue right down to the bottom. You need a big syringe and strong fingers as the glue is somewhat reluctant to come out :D

All in all I injected about 5 ml of glue into 20 spots and now, 24 hours later, the wheel is back in and the padding is solid as a rock while still nicely padded and spongy.

Let's see how long it lasts ...

282710.jpg]

Unregistered Users

Yesterday's job posted today - front brakes.

Dust cover (driver's side) replaced:

282895.jpg

Passenger's side with similar problems - dust cover needed replacement. 2 bolts undone without problems, 3rd one needed to be drilled. Unfortunately broke a drill bit. What's broken left inside a hole. Drilled another hole 5mm left from broken one, made bigger hole in a dust cover. Problem solved. :D

Passenger's side done:

282896.jpg

My supervisor came to check if job is done properly:

282897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Not today but sunday, and not my car but my dads I fitted a new (old) horn. KIA Optimas come with the worst single tone horn you can imagine. Even Toyota or Nissan would be embarrassed! KIA enthusiasts (yes there is such a thing :P) all over the internet replace them with different horns.

Here's the replacement ones that I picked up (lollypop for the person to guess the car they're off)

62D210DB7C094C009590398B2888C89B-0000363222-0003448223-00800L-2C219486B39944F8B9FF101E5B05DED5.jpg

First I needed to make up a new wiring harness as the car only has a single horn. Conveniently I found this which is the wiring for the headlights for a ride on mower. The two bulb holders had the right size spade connectors for the horns which was awful handy

458FED1A36064FD0BA896C727836F5C7-0000363222-0003448222-00800L-1BA122A059E2441D9388DD803B8D3340.jpg

I cut the connector off the car and put 2 male spade connectors on the wires. I put females on my new harness to match and also on the piece of wiring I cut off the car so the old horn can just be connected back in if needed.

Perfect :)
    D2DE2851A5CD43279932A969FE9F8775-0000363222-0003448221-00800L-CC6A60B8A6FA4C7F97655D52CAE96A24.jpg

Couple of pieces off old steel of something or other made a perfect bracket when bolted together. The bracket on the horn then needed to be flipped to fit in the space available behind the bumper

F2E78EAF389E4F689C8BCCB1AA46440F-0000363222-0003448220-00800L-7DF87468043145E9BEB80E0009DEFB5B.jpg

Now the car has a much manlier horn with no visible differences without taking the front apart. Happy birthday Dad. :P:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

How can one have a porsche and and a kia optima:confused:

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    How can one have a porsche and and a kia optima:confused:

One has to do 50k Km a year and is a company car;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    One has to do 50k Km a year and is a company car;)

It must feel horrible going from one to the other

Scortho wrote: »
    It must feel horrible going from one to the other

One is comfortable, quiet, reliable and free to run. The other is loud (in terms of rattles in the interior as well as engine noise), fairly reliable(a bit temperamental at times), has a **** sound system and does 18MPG. Never mind the servicing costs on top! What's the point of paying for that fuel etc to sit in commuter traffic?

In the same position I think you would find yourself driving the Kia more than you think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

In the series, the other day I did something to somebody's else car...;)

Constructing a fake floor in order to fit an amplifier, 100% stealth installation.
    I might do a transparent PVC glass window with a Ferrari sticker and some red leds, we shall see.

The car in question, 2006 430 spyder

1.JPG

The trunk before...

2.JPG

My wood cutting highly sophisticated mobile operation, obviously. Does the job though.

3.JPG

Trying my deep black automotive carpet for color matching. Hum very good actually.

4.JPG

Wood cut to measure

5.JPG

Trying the carpet over to give us an idea of how it would look like. Very satisfied actually. Pretty good match.

6.JPG

7.JPG

Stay tuned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Fap fap fap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

is200/ altezza horns DZ?

is200/ altezza horns DZ?

No Lollipop for you :P

It's from the nation where a horn is the most important feature of a car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

No Lollipop for you :P

Punto

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Punto

Nope, Right country though. Think a bit bigger!

India?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope, Right country though. Think a bit bigger!

Robbed from one of dgt's many alfas? :p

India?? :confused:

Italy :)

Horn is from a 156. I win :pac:

Robbed from one of dgt's many alfas? :p

Dammit got there before me! Not from one of his but yeah :)

Italy :)

Horn is from a 156. I win :pac:

You knew, you cheated :P Wait till i see you!!! -shakes fist-

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Sunday I went to rotate my tyres and check the front pads and discs.
    Recently there'd been a squeal under breaking.

Didnt get very far,

taking off the drivers wheel;
    Shíte...

wyta.jpg

was cross threaded by the last person at it.

the one next to it was tricky putting back on and by the look of it needed replacing too.
    Looked up a guide on Volvoforums.org.uk for P/Ns and instructions without having to take the hub off.

myiv.jpg

Didnt have the time or tools to attempt it myself, so off to the mechanic I went.
    I might try it next time round though.

Told him it was possible to leave the hub on and €30 labour and €14 for parts we're rolling again, smile.gif

Apt user name is apt :P:pac:

My front drivers side brake has been squealing for ages, may check to see if thats happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Apt user name is apt :P:pac:

Not the first time!

Or the first time I've heard it! :P

Still don't know what the squeal was as there's lots of meat on both the pads and the discs.
    Mechanic said nothing about it either :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Not the first time!

Still don't know what the squeal was as there's lots of meat on both the pads and the discs.

The squeal is the pads vibrating in the caliper, a little copper grease on the back on the pads will sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Not the first time!

squeal is made by edge of disc rub against new pads, so disc edge has to be file down .... probably grinder would do the job. .... also (long time ago) one dealer mechanic said me (after i replaced not original brake disks with original pads) , that squeal could come from brake material incompatibility ... when replacing brake disks and pads, has to be same company make... but i am not sure about that statement.

Advertisement