Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Mar4ix wrote: »
    squeal is made by edge of disc rub against new pads, so disc edge has to be file down .... probably grinder would do the job. .... also (long time ago) one dealer mechanic said me (after i replaced not original brake disks with original pads) , that squeal could come from brake material incompatibility ... when replacing brake disks and pads, has to be same company make... but i am not sure about that statement.

O stop. Good hard use and squeal will go. Its just dirt and ****e on the pad surface. Id be hard on brakes and iv never had squeal.

And all a big edge will do is give you less pad before you hit the backing plate. You'd be surprised how hard they arento grind. Anyway if there so bad that you think they need to be ground down you probably need new disks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Considering I couldn't find a guide on how to change it, I'll make one here :)

Fuel filters are often neglected on these cars. There was a major flatspot in the car if any load was detected so I decided to change the filter and see i it made a difference.

It's rather long :pac: and no, I won nothing on that ticket :p
    Image1093.jpg

The filter is located on the left hand side of the car near the front under the passengers footwell. Nicely hidden by fiddly plastics
    Image1094.jpg

4 push clips, 2 nuts and 3 screws to remove it.

The filter is held in by one clamp
    Image1095.jpg

At either end is a length of rubber tubing. Loosen one end, break the bond and allow depressurisation. Then maneuver that end into a suitable container and collect the petrol
    Image1096.jpg

Take the old filter out, drain the rest of the petrol and inspect the hoses for perishes/fraying. If it's ok swap them over
    Image1097.jpg

That filter was last done in 2001 :rolleyes:

When putting the new filter in run the clamp up first as it would be a pig to do so in situ with the filter :p
    Image1098.jpg

Fix the pipes, tighten the clips and start the car to check for leaks. If all is ok replace the tray.

That wasn't so hard was it :cool:

It also seems to have cured the hesitation going uphill :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nice one, there's another DIY to add to my long list of to do's on mine! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Fixed hesitation....thank fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Scortho wrote: »
    Fixed hesitation....thank fcuk

Did you hesitate before doing it or jump right in ? :D

• Advertisement

Did you hesitate before doing it or jump right in ? :D

The e39 that he has, well the straight 6 one, has a really annoying hesitation that comes and goes.
    You'll be happily going along and then when you put your foot down, it goes slower! :pac: a couple of seconds later and it slowly increases speed.

After driving it for an hour, I couldn't wait to get back into the 156

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I recently purchased a new set of spark plugs and decided this morning to inspect the old plugs and fit the new ones into the engine of my Honda.

11267639565_839e998f50_c.jpg

The old plugs are the NGK Iridium-X and after about 38k km they still look good to me, so I am going to hold on to them just in case...

11267637605_b02fecc1fa_c.jpg

The new plugs are Denso Iridium Power. The differences between these and the old NGK plugs are minimal, but visible. The new plugs have 0.4mm centre electrde vs 0.7mm in the NGK plugs, and have a U-Groove ground electrode. Not sure if any of these changes are going to improve the (already very good) fuel economy, but I was keen on trying them on, so will see...

11267674406_25f5d24640_c.jpg

Job done and the Lady is ready to rock the road :).

11267674136_91054b0407_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Most boring car I've had through the NCT in a while, oh well :)

1463884_10151880101254121_495580461_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Most boring car I've had through the NCT in a while, oh well :)

1463884_10151880101254121_495580461_n.jpg

Won't have to worry about NCT for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Won't have to worry about NCT for a long time.

Yup.Pretty handy alrite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Today I did something to my car alright:
    listed it on DoneDeal.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Today I did something to my car alright:
    listed it on DoneDeal.

:P

needs more pics :mad: :pac:

Picked up these(x2) today. My christmas project. They're top and bottom ball joints. Hopefully stop the knockin. Either them or a top mount at it I think.

bhv7.th.jpg

Interslice wrote: »
    needs more pics :mad: :pac:

I'll add more at home later, they are on the laptop at home.

Speaking of adding more pics, I don't see any on your post :P

I'll add more at home later, they are on the laptop at home.

Speaking of adding more pics, I don't see any on your post :P

Pic was too too massive. Over in meath so internet is too slow to upload a smaller one. Thumbnail will just have to do.

Pic was too too massive. Over in meath so internet is too slow to upload a smaller one. Thumbnail will just have to do.

Can you replace ball joints?
    Seems to be the thing to go on wishbones, well that or bush and Id much rather spend a few euro replacing a balljoint than an entire wishbone thats perfectly fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

About time, Cleveland. Now things can get interesting. :D

CianRyan wrote: »
    About time, Cleveland. Now things can get interesting. :D

Exactly.
    Can you say, "daily"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Smoke machine. :D

Scortho wrote: »
    Can you replace ball joints?
    Seems to be the thing to go on wishbones, well that or bush and Id much rather spend a few euro replacing a balljoint than an entire wishbone thats perfectly fine?

Depends on the car, I changed the upper wishbone on a 156 before and it was all one piece. I got all four ball joints for 66 euro, that one wishbone for the alfa was around 80/90 quid I think. Lower one's might be doable.

Depends on the car, I changed the upper wishbone on a 156 before and it was all one piece. I got all four ball joints for 66 euro, that one wishbone for the alfa was around 80/90 quid I think. Lower one's might be doable.

Just did a bit of googling and i don't think its possible...:mad:

Ah well thankfully my suspension is in tip top condition after the weekend.
    Got around to fitting koni Strt shocks and even though they're not fsds they make some difference to the car.
    Also fitted ebc turbogrooved disks and greenstuff pads.

Some pics of Dgts handiwork
    Worn droplink...thankfully all i had to do was walk over to my spares bucket :pac:
    4F7868C9_zps66e826a6.jpg

Old shock and spring....that spring shouldn't be out like that :roll eyes:

DD01C636_zps18760b07.jpg

Shock and spring ready to go back on
    FEC71A5A_zps957d70bf.jpg

Depending on what I decide to do with the car, braided hoses and eibach arbs will be done at some stage:) My mind will be made up when the gtv goes on the road, but the 156 will be coming off in february anyway. No way am i paying 100 quid tax a month to drive it on the weekend for an hour or two.

Oh id love if there was a system of weekend tax for half the price of full time tax. I know a few (id say we all do) who've taken big engined cars off the road because they can't justify using it for a few hours a day at the weekends.

By the way, anyone know how to make the photos smaller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Currently looking at new tyres for the C5, chinese crap are useless in the rain and confuse the TC / ESP so time for a nice upgrade from Camskill.

Question, the current tyre size 215/55/R16 - would there be much difference / benefit going for the more common 205/55/R16 or even 225/55/R16? Cheers lads.

OSI wrote: »
    This is always worth a look when consider tyre sizes:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    That's a great little app. Here's the results.

205/55/R16 - When your speedo reads 60mph, you are actually driving 59mph (1.7% too fast).
    225/55/R16 - When your speedo reads 60mph, you are actually driving 61mph (1.7% too slow).

You think it would make much noticeable difference to ride height / comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

advertsfox wrote: »

205/55/R16 - When your speedo reads 60mph, you are actually driving 59mph (1.7% too fast).
    225/55/R16 - When your speedo reads 60mph, you are actually driving 61mph (1.7% too slow).

You wont notice its tiny

corkgsxr wrote: »
    You wont notice its tiny
    Cheers, found some nice well reviewed 205/55/R16 Vredestein Sportrac 5's for €65 a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Today I changed the other halfs cars oil, oil filter, air filter, topped up the gearbox oil and changed the pads all around and new plugs. At the weekend the tracking needs to be done as she aims for every pothole she sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Your speedo would have been overstating the speed as a default anyway.

Today i did nothing with my car but i spent 30 minutes with a sharp kitchen knife to see what the courier had left in my turf shed ! :)

Hmm...
    2gqj.jpg

Much huffing and puffing later
    3nqg.jpg

Shiny
    a2oo.jpg

Downpipe+High flow catalyst :p
    ftmt.jpg

I wonder if i could...
    4ks5.jpg

Lol Yep :p
    rdff.jpg

All wrapped up and put away ready for fitting :)

Well im pretty exhausted...
    lu6c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Currently looking at new tyres for the C5, chinese crap are useless in the rain and confuse the TC / ESP so time for a nice upgrade from Camskill.

Question, the current tyre size 215/55/R16 - would there be much difference / benefit going for the more common 205/55/R16 or even 225/55/R16? Cheers lads.

I actually did the same on my last Passat.. the 215's were almost impossible to get and stupidly priced so I got 205's and they were grand and far cheaper!

So in a related question.. the A6 currently has 245/40/R18 on it and will need changing soon-ish. Are there any more "common"/cheaper sizes that it'll run happily on?

Cheers lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

IT'S SO SHINY!!! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I actually did the same on my last Passat.. the 215's were almost impossible to get and stupidly priced so I got 205's and they were grand and far cheaper!

So in a related question.. the A6 currently has 245/40/R18 on it and will need changing soon-ish. Are there any more "common"/cheaper sizes that it'll run happily on?

Cheers lads :)

225/40/R18 seem to be a fairly common size, i use them and i think MM runs them on his fronts too

Advertisement