Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Wow
    Such shiny
    Very Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

18s' are feckers for price anyway, not sure how much difference it'll make. I'd take a guess 225/40/18 is the most common though. Pretty much all BMWs with 18's have them (on the front if the wheels are legit, all round if they're 8J reps :P). 18x8J is one of the more common wheel sizes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

225/40/R18 seem to be a fairly common size, i use them and i think MM runs them on his fronts too

I do indeed along with 255/35/18 on the rear which are very close to needing to be replaced! Only got them brand new last April I think it was :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I do indeed along with 255/35/18 on the rear which are very close to needing to be replaced! Only got them brand new last April I think it was :eek:

That's fairly good going for sticky tyres on the back wheels to be fair.

CianRyan wrote: »

Ah now, I don't be doing burnouts or doghnuts or any of that daft carry on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just a dab of oppo on ze wet roundaboutz :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah now, I don't be doing burnouts or doghnuts or any of that daft carry on!

You don't even need to be with that much power moving through the rear wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My local man does that size in Toyo for 135 each
    My son put two in his recently.

You don't even need to be with that much power moving through the rear wheels.

And there's 100bhp more to come :D
    vectra wrote: »
    My local man does that size in Toyo for 135 each
    My son put two in his recently.

Any idea what Toyo are like compared to Goodyear Eagle F1?

And there's 100bhp more to come :D

They are the proxo T1 I think which got pretty good reviews.
    These are the ones I think
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-T1-Sport.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

They are the proxo T1 I think which got pretty good reviews.
    These are the ones I think
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-T1-Sport.htm

That's a very good price, 169 on eiretyres. Vectra who is your local guy? Might not be too far away from myself, will need tyres in that size too soon enough

BillJ wrote: »
    That's a very good price, 169 on eiretyres. Vectra who is your local guy? Might not be too far away from myself, will need tyres in that size too soon enough

Mikes Tyres in Fermoy.

Ring him before hand as he orders them in,
    Tell him Eugene put you on to him so as you get full discount ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Cheers man not too far away so handy to know.

Would there be any negative effects of having vredestian ultrac sessantas with these toyos on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's MM, he wouldn't put the shoe in for fear of getting flies on the car :pac: And in fairness, he wouldn't do all that much milage either. I was getting huge miles out of my F1's until dodgy alignmnet screwed them.

Personally I've found nothing compares to F1's. Test results look good though

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=162
    BillJ wrote: »
    Cheers man not too far away so handy to know.

Would there be any negative effects of having vredestian ultrac sessantas with these toyos on the back?

Nope, no problem. As long as the axle has the same set on, you're fine. You could get understeer in the wet if you're pushing, but that'd be more due to having newer tyres on the rear rather than any particular mix.

The Goodyears have better ratings in every category compared to the Toyos. Don't think it'd be worthwhile for me travelling to your arsehole of the woods for those anyway :P

The Goodyears have better ratings in every category compared to the Toyos. Don't think it'd be worthwhile for me travelling to your arsehole of the woods for those anyway :P

Admit it.
    You would be in fear of your life of getting the car dirty on the way down LOL. :D

Asmit it.
    You would be in fear of your life of getting the car dirty on the way down LOL. :D

Asmit it?? You having trouble breathing or something?? :P

You should see the car right now. I'll take a pic of it later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Like CM my good years were eaten alive by toe in.

Current ones should last till late February will be buying from cam skill again. The 225/40/R18's are like 93-97 sterling or so each. Mental

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I started my car for the first time since I bought it 14 months ago, without it binging/chiming/ringing at me. Originally it had been chiming away at me to say the Parrot Bluetooth set wasnt connected up correctly (not my fault, previous owner chopped all the cables). I got that all fixed up, but at that stage it was then chiming away for a service (and fuel) for the last 3 months or so. Got her serviced and all's quiet when I start her up..... I oddly miss the chimes now.

PS. Its trying to keep chiming, got a "steering column lock defective" error for a few seconds 2 days ago.... touch wood n all.

Well balls. That didnt last long at all (infact it didnt even get a chance). Getting a pretty consistent steering column lock defective error now. The car still starts, but its a ticking time bomb as to when it decides not to start. Booked into VW Garage to get it fixed in the new year. Quoted about €300. :( There goes a portion of my "new alloys" money..... or was it my reversing camera money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

Today i changed track control arm bush or something like that... two of them :/ Before end of the year i need to change tires for Goodyear Eagle F1 170€ each front and 230-240€ each rear... does anyone know where i can get them cheaper ?

• Advertisement

Today i changed track control arm bush or something like that... two of them :/ Before end of the year i need to change tires for Goodyear Eagle F1 170€ each front and 230-240€ each rear... does anyone know where i can get them cheaper ?

Don't bother. I paid that for my set of F1's (think it was about €830 fitted) but once you get them from a cheaper source and find someone who will fit them (a lot of places won't fit what they don't sell) you'll be paying around the same.

I know that I found the difference to be around €20 so I just bought them locally and got them fitted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Another update.

I've new headlights being custom made in California which should be finished today and hopefully shipped early next week. They're based on the same Depo P90 projectors that I currently have in the car, but will have the chrome blacked out. They will also be fitted with Umnitza's new Predator Orion V4 LED Angel Eyes which have a seamless ring of light due to their construction with 120 LEDs in each ring (as opposed to 60 before). They also come with a remote dimmer so their brightness can be controlled. The lights are also going to be fitted with an FX-R BiXenon projector which will give me xenon low and high beams without blinding anyone. The HIDs will also be pre-installed inside the headlight housing so everything will be a really neat and tidy install once they're in the car.

Lighting aside and thanks to a couple of press cars over the last few weeks, I was able to have the car off the road for a bit and serviced thoroughly. All the usual bits were done (oil, filters, etc.) but I also had the heater plugs changed (as it could be a bit smokey starting on particularly cold mornings) and whilst everything was out, I had the rocker cover gasket replaced as it was weeping slightly at the back of the head. All new inlet manifold gaskets, a new turbo breather filter (vortex type again) and EGR gaskets were installed at the same time. Mechanic noticed that I was getting some blow-by through the oil filler cap where the rubber seal wasn't the greatest so I changed that and have a new set of wipers to go on once the car is cleaned next.

In the coming weeks will be two new rear tyres (will stick with the Hankook Evo 2s), a quick valet and some medium tint on the rear three windows. Beyond that, plans are afoot to remove the KWs and add something that will allow me to run low...

Don't bother. I paid that for my set of F1's (think it was about €830 fitted) but once you get them from a cheaper source and find someone who will fit them (a lot of places won't fit what they don't sell) you'll be paying around the same.

I know that I found the difference to be around €20 so I just bought them locally and got them fitted there.

Well i got quoted anywhere between 165-265 in galway per 18 inch tyre + fitting/balancing/valve and they are 120 a corner from camskill. If doing a full set it may well be worth it.

Depends if you are willing to wait a week is all.

Even more mad is the difference between the medium end stuff, nexen 18's shipped over are 64 sterling a coener (meh tyre but comparable to kumho) and 125 quid in galway + fitting+ valve+balancing.

For 300 quid to fully shod a car all you will get from most local places is a hysterical laugh

The thing is though, tyre shops up the price when they're fitting customer-supplied tyres. A lot of places won't fit them citing the whole "can't guarantee that they won't blow" because they didn't sell them.

The thing is though, tyre shops up the price when they're fitting customer-supplied tyres. A lot of places won't fit them citing the whole "can't guarantee that they won't blow" because they didn't sell them.

Kieran farrell tyres in galway will do it no problem (would be getting balancing and alignment done anyway so it's worth their while)

There is still a saving to be made and im never afraid to ask :)

Kieran farrell tyres in galway will do it no problem (would be getting balancing and alignment done anyway so it's worth their while)

There is still a saving to be made and im never afraid to ask :)

From my own experience, nowhere around here would do it for me. The closest was a crowd in Portlaoise who put on the run flats when I got them as part-worns and they charged me e40 to do 2 tyres that day. No saving but maybe even more if I was to bring them brand new tyres.

From my own experience, nowhere around here would do it for me. The closest was a crowd in Portlaoise who put on the run flats when I got them as part-worns and they charged me e40 to do 2 tyres that day. No saving but maybe even more if I was to bring them brand new tyres.

My main concern really would be them having the right machine to put the tyre on with the rubber edge, had some young fella literally carve a circle on two of my old wheels while putting some part worns on as i looked on in horror :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Just back from the NCT Centre.
    The old Lady was positively commented by the Tester:

11373147945_c642271654_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Seweryn wrote: »
    Just back from the NCT Centre.
    The old Lady was positively commented by the Tester:

11373147945_c642271654_m.jpg

Not suprised Seweryn with the minter that she is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

YbFocus wrote: »
    Not suprised Seweryn with the minter that she is :)
    Thanks. I wish she was mint, but you know how it is with old cars, they are never perfect. Still like her the way she is ;).

I should have mentioned that I have recently replaced the CV joint rubber boots and the front stabiliser bar drop links, just in case, as they were worn. The rubber boots protect the CV joints (which are still in great nick), so well worth changing them keeping them that way.

Advertisement