Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its a pity they didn't do a high revving VTEC/MIVEC style engine in those. They're actually a really good looking car but everyone knows that even the 2.7 is dog slow but if the engines were decent they'd be really sought after.

Even a 1.8T would make them a lot better!

Today I finally fixed the seatbelt extender arm in my car. It never caught the belt properly and when it did, it would slip off. New part - €40 and 5 minutes and it was done, working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,448 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Even the 140hp 2.0 CRDI diesel would be good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It'd be really cool to do an engine swap in one, are there any viable swaps though? Did they share a platform with anyone that makes a decent engine?
    I think Santa Fei uses a turbo Mazda engine.

A well set up Hyundai Coupe would be cool and rare as ****.
    This is class.

731jch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

So this is why my brakes were feeling a little on the weak side - people please check your discs, couldn't really see the condition of mine until the wheel was off.

7bGPIy6.jpg

lRJJFCa.jpg

cFSFShS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

advertsfox wrote: »
    So this is why my brakes were feeling a little on the weak side - people please check your discs, couldn't really see the condition of mine until the wheel was off.

you got good value out of them :)

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    you got good value out of them :)
    100,000 miles in a big C5 - I guess that's good going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Its a pity they didn't do a high revving VTEC/MIVEC style engine in those. They're actually a really good looking car but everyone knows that even the 2.7 is dog slow but if the engines were decent they'd be really sought after.

True. Hers is the 1.6 great fun though cant believe how much grip it has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I got new tyres for the focus today. Went for goodyears in the end. They were on one of the octavias and performed well even in the wet and they also seem to last well. I normally get turanzas but was hearing mixed reviews about the T001 even though the previous turanza was a great tyre. Couldnt believe the difference the new tyres make they just grip so well even though the roads were completely wet. It didnt help that the previous tyres were the usual chinese crap put on by the previous owner. Although they weren't too bad compared to alot of chinese tyres but comparing them to the goodyears well there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just back from Tyreland Finglas where I got 2 Michelin 18" part-worns with about 70% left on them.. €100 for both. Much better than some of the other quotes I got today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Last Thursday, the Mondeo ST diesel blow the exhaust back box. With a decat installed, the car had a straight through exhaust and sounded something the "boy racers" love, especially the turbo spooling down!!

Trip over to Souhan in Trim and the damage was seen,

WP_20131223_002_zps6c3434a2.jpg

2.5hrs later I now have a new stainless steel exhaust and a new stainless steel exhaust pipe from the decat back. Quality looked good and was happy with the service and price. My pride is now restored with a quieter exhaust...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Put a 2" gash in the intercooler. Of all weeks to do such a thing I would have to pick the one where everywhere is closed for the next few days :(

Gonna have to try bypass it tomorrow so its still driveable until I can sort a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Top Dog wrote: »
    Put a 2" gash in the intercooler. Of all weeks to do such a thing I would have to pick the one where everywhere is closed for the next few days :(

Gonna have to try bypass it tomorrow so its still driveable until I can sort a replacement.

Could you try to pinch the affected veins closed top dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

YbFocus wrote: »
    Could you try to pinch the affected veins closed top dog?
    Don't know to be honest. Its right on the end where it curves around the corner. Will take it to a mates place in the morning. He thinks he can weld it (though he hasn't see it yet) but if he can't there's enough car bits n pieces about his place that we can bypass it for a while.

Not looking forward to limping it over there in the morning though - can do 45mph on the flat ... with a bit of a build-up :pac:

Dammit I want to clean my car - even a hoover Mr. Weatherman!

On a lighter note, getting a Terraclean done by the lads this Friday afternoon and am scheduled for fitting of 4 x Hankook Optimo 4S at €80 a pop (with fitting and balancing) in a nearby garage - can't complain with those prices! Also the new brake discs and pads by ABS were sorted today, has to swap them discs since they were 20mm off. Micks Garage were brilliant for service in helping me get the correct ones esp. for this time of year. I'm a happy man :) Now for pints later!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yesterday's job. New(ly sprayed) bumpers and USDM ;) spoiler.

285924.jpg

285925.jpg

CianRyan wrote: »
    It'd be really cool to do an engine swap in one, are there any viable swaps though? Did they share a platform with anyone that makes a decent engine?
    I think Santa Fei uses a turbo Mazda engine.

A well set up Hyundai Coupe would be cool and rare as ****.
    This is class.

731jch.jpg

I reckon an fto drivetrain would drop right in.

Put on the new taillights, takes years off the car IMO

eiji.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Oooohhh.Theyre nice.Would it annoy ya if i got them too? Lol

Well I have my old ones, was thinking of sticking them in the oven and removing the orange bit and resealing them. If that works you're welcome to them.
    I didn't ask how much they cost but I think they're mad money.
    Need to cut a tiny slot in the bulb holder part of the unit as they must have changed the plugs on the facelift. Easily done, in the meantime the bulbs are hanging in there. Be grand. Just got so excited I had to fit them!

You might wanna look at LED taillights, there's a tasty set of black ones available on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Paid motortax. QyhW2.gif

• Advertisement

Got my Terraclean done today and wow... what a difference it made to the car. Just feels much more refined, improved idle and no more cough like lag I was feeling putting the foot down.

All in all it cost €135 (evened up to €150 for tip) and only took an hour. The lads were sound, said a tonne of smoke came out during the process (carbon deposits being burnt off) and it works very well on the 1.6 HDi 110 BHP.

Tyres next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The main thing I did to my car today was change it. Now have my bottom sitting on the nice squidgy leather of my MR2... which is about the biggest change I've ever made. And the best as far as I can see. Absolutely love the thing - next up, nice rims, a full service and some anti-roll bar links, plus a proper clean and polish. I finally have somthing worthy of a bit of tlc. I'm feeling very :):) and a bit :D.

Congrats man :)
    Pics soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I changed the oil in mine using all my new fancy bits and bobs, took half the time doing it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The main thing I did to my car today was change it. Now have my bottom sitting on the nice squidgy leather of my MR2... which is about the biggest change I've ever made. And the best as far as I can see. Absolutely love the thing - next up, nice rims, a full service and some anti-roll bar links, plus a proper clean and polish. I finally have somthing worthy of a bit of tlc. I'm feeling very :):) and a bit :D.

congrats, you won't regret it which one did you end up buying?

My LED festoon bulbs showed up today and like a child I had to put them in straight away :rolleyes:
    It's not until both were in front of me I realised how orange the others were! :eek:

286437.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

congrats, you won't regret it which one did you end up buying?
    2.0 non-turbo t-bar, 1997, petrol blue, black leather interior. I am deeply, deeply in love, really am. I put it up on my lift and gave it a full service and bought a nice stainless exhaust (got it barely used for small money)that I'll fit tomorrow with a decat pipe. It needs arb bushings and drop links but is otherwise very tight. I'll order them when the factors re-open. The shocks are also tired, so I'll price some as well. I love the sense of occasion of driving it so much compared to the dull, bland yokes I've always endured, I took a rush of blood to the head and bought somthing interesting to replace the daily. :D

I decided dull was done, I've done dull for the whole of my damn driving life, I work my as5 off day after day, so I quietly went off today and bought somthing else interesting- a Skyline. And it is achingly, bite the back of my hand, pretty too. I'll post up some pics when it stops raining cats and dogs. The missus actually seems pretty cool with the turn of events, she might actually be pleased but reluctant to admit it and I'm a god in the eyes of my two teenage sons. :D Ok, it's only the 2 litre non-turbo, but still, for me, it's wild. And god damn, it's pretty. Now I just have to ease the better half into the drivers seat and make her stay there till I get a chance to drive it a bit. That could be interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone have any issues after getting a Terraclean?

Fitted my brakes and track rods.

Rods looked awkward as there was feck all space around the balljoint and serious work to gain space (and of course I didnt have the proper tool) on a off chance I used a plumbers crows foot and a 18's stilson on the end and they both opened easy. Very surprised.

The discs are brembo high carbon and there standard pads (my first time ever doing both together most of the time its new discs and ah the pads be fine I dont have the bobs)

Started with the warped side. Tryed levering it off no joy. Tryed a tap with a 2 pound hammer. No joy. Made up a 10mm mild steel plate to use the wheel nuts to pull it off and it bent the bar with no affect on the disc.

Wondering what my options were I found a 4 pound sledge with a cut down handle. 3 raps and disc jumped off.

All is good need to get it tracked. Iv a suspicion ebc std pads might be better than brembo std pads. But time will tell. Very limited pad options for a Renault trafic

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone have any issues after getting a Terraclean?

What issues are ya having

Advertisement