Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    Planks of wood are your friend with low cars ;)

As for not getting enough torque.... Put some muscle into it :pac::pac::pac:

We have a system of planks that make up ramps to raise a car by about 6 inches. For the most part you don't really need to raise a car more than that. Also have a stick for each car that is the track width so the ramps can be positioned right quickly :)
    I have perfected the art of not jacking up a car. You don't even need to to bleed brakes :pac:

EDIT: THought this was the chat thread… Ill head over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Alan, a proper low profile jack is what you need to get. I was messing around with different positioning, boards, jack points and other crap and it just felt dangerous half the time.

Then I got:

2337787_01_gallery_xlarge.jpg

and it's been nothing but pure ease and pleasure to jack the car. It saves a lot of hassle and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Ive had bad experiences with planks of wood.

I use one high lift jack and one normal lift with a block of 4×2 on top. Both under the wishbone back mounts ( circle with big bolt in the middle) I know you shouldn't but I make sure its zero chance of slipping.

Any stands iv used dont seem to hold as well on a big van. Don't look strong and I dont like the holds. Proper jacks always seemed safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Ive had bad experiences with planks of wood.

Same here... I saw a Fiat Uno fall on it's arse after sliding off improperly stacked blocks :eek:

What I meant was drive up on 2 blocks of wood and get the jack in :) or if you were stuck, use the cars jack and jack high enough to get another jack in to continue jacking (yo dawg we heard you like jacks.... :pac:)
    Well here's the thing though, as well as changing the oil, I had to change the oil level sensor, which I couldn't access, so had I got the plug out and drained the oil, I'd have to wait until the next change to do the sensor. Soooo I'm going to touch base with my cousin who I dont know all that well who said a while back that I could use his garage/lift to do work on the car. Should be dandy then.

Ah I see! Where is that sensor? I'm assuming you have an undertray in the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah I used to always have to use cars scissors jack first to lift it up, then the big jack underneath that, the same process taking it down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Few pics of my new csl replica alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Old stereo out (KDC-W4044UG).

New stereo in (DEH-X3500UI).

Like the old one alright, but its power amplifier was doing kinda cracking noise (heard in speakers) when set loud. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread cleaned. The amount of drivel being posted on this forum is getting ridiculous. This isn't after hours, users will be banned when I see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

Swapped my old RCD 310 stereo for the RCD 510

Before
    w6MEdKGl.jpg
    After
    W7hxophl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Would anybody be able to help me, ive a 1.4 16v Sporting Fiat Grande Punto and the engine light was on, brought it to the mechanics today to plug it in -the code P1171 came up but the thing that was wrong never showed on his computer in his codes? :/ We went through his diagnostics programme and p1171 wasn't there at all! He told me to search for it and get back to him so we can sort the problem out... now i've googled it and im getting a few different results, would anyone know for sure what it is? Just want to get parts and get it fixed ASAP. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

rizzee wrote: »
    Would anybody be able to help me, ive a 1.4 16v Sporting Fiat Grande Punto and the engine light was on, brought it to the mechanics today to plug it in -the code P1171 came up but the thing that was wrong never showed on his computer in his codes? :/ We went through his diagnostics programme and p1171 wasn't there at all! He told me to search for it and get back to him so we can sort the problem out... now i've googled it and im getting a few different results, would anyone know for sure what it is? Just want to get parts and get it fixed ASAP. Cheers.

http://www.carobdcode.com/p1171-fiat-fuel-system-lean-during-acceleration#.UsLcohzG-9U

P1171 FIAT Fuel System Lean During Acceleration
    Possible causes
    - Plugged fuel filter or low fuel pressure
    - Faulty or dirty Mass Air Flow sensor
    Symptoms
    - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Heres the most common result on a search of the code.

Thanks pippip I seen that already, there's other sites with other problems for it instead,

P1171 – OBD2 Code for Fiat
    Test break off, cylinder regulating

( http://www.obd2.org/odb2-codes/p1171-obd2-code-for-fiat-2/ )

:confused:

Im swaying towards your link though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks pippip I seen that already, there's other sites with other problems for it instead,

P1171 – OBD2 Code for Fiat
    Test break off, cylinder regulating

( http://www.obd2.org/odb2-codes/p1171-obd2-code-for-fiat-2/ )

:confused:

Im swaying towards your link though.

That's obd2 for mk2 Puntos. You don't have that ;)

I'd lean towards the maf sensor first

Geddit, lean..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Spent about 3 hours this morning on the first paint correction on the new 7. Final results aren't 100% as-new, but a solid 80-90% improvement. I just don't have the time to go at each panel as much as is required to get it back to perfect. Just did two passes per panel with a coarse pad/polish and then a finishing pad/polish.

Did the front end; wings, bonnet and bumper.

Before:

IMG_16961_zps573897b1.jpg

IMG_16972_zps2ed7e200.jpg

After clay:
    IMG_16994_zpsf816c1cf.jpg

Dried after clay:
    IMG_17005_zps9e6c6a5b.jpg

Split view of polish:
    IMG_17016_zps9fbbb4bd.jpg

IMG_17027_zpsd5879204.jpg

IMG_17038_zps00bb000c.jpg

Opposite side being polished:
    IMG_17049_zps1947133d.jpg

All done:
    IMG_170510_zps806808c7.jpg

IMG_170611_zpsd4fd20d8.jpg

IMG_17103_zpse66a71af.jpg

Headlights came out well too:
    IMG_17081_zps7d593408.jpg

IMG_17092_zps7acfb352.jpg

dgt wrote: »
    That's obd2 for mk2 Puntos. You don't have that ;)

I'd lean towards the maf sensor first

Geddit, lean..... :o

Ah jasus :o:o:o Should've realised it was mk2s, how silly of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Today I called the insurance rescue service to sort out a flat that the A6 developed overnight. Miserable morning for it too but fair play to the guy - was there within an hour and I wasn't even the first call!

This was after/while I unexpectedly ended up spending New Year in Beaumont with a very sick relative :(

Happy New Year eh? Has to get better I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Be very interested Voodoo to hear how you find that 7 after the E38, very different animal?

It is very different, they really were well ahead of their time with this model. The technology and comfort is streets ahead of the e38, as of course is the power over my last one. But I wouldn't necessarily say its better to drive; the handling of the e38 was fantastic and their maybe a fault with the e66 steering, it goes heavy at unexpected times, must pull some codes and see if there is something going on. Power delivery can be a bit twitchy too, will clear the trans memory soon.

I don't think many people do this model justice in terms of looks, everyone who's seen this new one comments on how fabulous it looks, not just 'best of luck'. And its hugely impressive inside. Even on the 20s it rides smoother than the e38, then again mine was a sport. Very happy with the buy, just need to get the damn driver door handle fixed, doing my head in!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have to say that's one of the nicest I've seen Voodoo, if not the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

It is very different, they really were well ahead of their time with this model. The technology and comfort is streets ahead of the e38, as of course is the power over my last one. But I wouldn't necessarily say its better to drive; the handling of the e38 was fantastic and their maybe a fault with the e66 steering, it goes heavy at unexpected times, must pull some codes and see if there is something going on. Power delivery can be a bit twitchy too, will clear the trans memory soon.

I don't think many people do this model justice in terms of looks, everyone who's seen this new one comments on how fabulous it looks, not just 'best of luck'. And its hugely impressive inside. Even on the 20s it rides smoother than the e38, then again mine was a sport. Very happy with the buy, just need to get the damn driver door handle fixed, doing my head in!

Fantastic car, id love one. How is reliability on them?

• Advertisement

Facelifts (2005) onwards are supposed to be just fine, can't really comment after 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Part 2 in the series of fitting the car out with canbus spec LED's.

The Halo bulbs (501's) arrived yesterday so I said I'd put them in, they again have made the car look newer by taking away the aging look of the standard bulbs.

They are a lovely white with the slightest touch of blue, nothing chavvy here :)

Can't really see them in the pics as they seem inordinately bright but they are the same brightness level as standard.

Happy happy, have to decide on HID's now, H7R kit of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Can we get a far away shot perhaps? :D

About an hours time :) Especially for yourself :pac:

Me and the auld photography ain't the best :D

YbFocus wrote: »
    About an hours time :) Especially for yourself :pac:

Me and the auld photography ain't the best :D

Ah you're too kind :pac:

Personally i like your photography, it picks up where dgt's left off :pac:

This kind of thing? :D:D
    no_focus_poppies_by_tomastankiewicz-d6eake8.jpg

Yes! it really evokes the thought process and makes you think just what the fcuk is he trying to show us?? :pac:

Yes! it really evokes the thought process and makes you think just what the fcuk is he trying to show us?? :pac:

I can't take a picture or I have something set wrong, this is as good as i can do.
    One old bulb to see the difference..

It's not what they look like at all :(

You'll see them in person at some stage anyway!

Sure I'll drop by sometime and see them

• Advertisement

A short video of HK's Logic 7 sound in the E66. Sounds poor in the video, incredible in person. Proper channel separation with helicopters passing from front to back etc.

If you increase your normal listening volume by another 150%, that's about the same volume as what it's like in person.

E92%20Audio%20Logic7.jpg

Advertisement