Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another boring 7er video, apologies. :/

Was fiddling with the rear air suspension, EHC. The E65/66 has it just on the rear and automatically adjusts according to different weight variables, like having extra passengers/load in the rear, keeping the ride height constant.

It's pretty cool, you can enter bogus wheel size data and end up with a slammed rear end. :D

bmstuff wrote: »
    Hi, welcome to 1985.
    Transmission control unit (tcu) have been introduced around that year and is used on every single automatic car since.
    Some cars can have like 40 and more ecu controlling different aspect of the car, airbags, shifting, self levelling suspension, engine obviously, entertainment system etc.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Obviously not a 1L micra with a 5 speed manual but a car with a gearbox thats paddle or where the gearleaver only connects to microswitch and the ecu controls the actual shifting. My changing the shift times or engine revs to match it can change alot

Ah okay. Probably make a bit more sense now that I think of it like that, but I was genuinely confused there for a while.

I don't really know much at all about the hardware (or software, in this case?!) of cars, but I didn't think they'd have firmware updates and such like that.

Figured everything that needed fixing was a manual physical job. Although I've never driven an Automatic, so they rarely come into my head, but I can see obviously they'd require a fair bit of electronics for gear shifting etc.

vectra wrote: »
    Go to an exhaust center and get them to cut off your tailpipe and fit a stainless steel one instead.

I'd imagine that'd be relatively expensive? Can I ask what you mean when you say exhaust centre, by the way? I'm living in Drogheda, and not very clued into this. The likes of motor factors, etc. wouldn't be of any use, presumably?

There's a First Stop / 'Fast Fit' near me, would they be the folks to call into? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Ah okay. Probably make a bit more sense now that I think of it like that, but I was genuinely confused there for a while.

I don't really know much at all about the hardware (or software, in this case?!) of cars, but I didn't think they'd have firmware updates and such like that.

Figured everything that needed fixing was a manual physical job. Although I've never driven an Automatic, so they rarely come into my head, but I can see obviously they'd require a fair bit of electronics for gear shifting etc.

I'd imagine that'd be relatively expensive? Can I ask what you mean when you say exhaust centre, by the way? I'm living in Drogheda, and not very clued into this. The likes of motor factors, etc. wouldn't be of any use, presumably?

There's a First Stop / 'Fast Fit' near me, would they be the folks to call into? :confused:

Ring or head over to souhans. They'll either have one ready or make it up for you there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As above
    Souhans, They made a system for my sons car last year in stainless steel.
    Good job as well.
    Could be a center closer to you on the other side of the border possibly?

Can I ask what kind of money is involved? (would be handy to have a rough gauge).

Are we talking €5, €50, €500, etc.? And would they be willing to just cut and replace the tailpipe or would they insist on a complete overhaul of the whole exhaust system (which is something I'd not be at all interested in, to be honest).

I checked their website, and they're in Trim, which is handy enough (I actually think I know where the place is).

An exhaust tip would do me, to be honest, I'd say. So if it's enormous money, I would rather go down that route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

So I was gonna slap an exhaust tip on, just so there's some aspect of the rear of the car with a chrome/stainless steel look (i think it'll help pull the look of the car together, as a whole.. I think my sidebars and nudge bar are stainless steel..).

I put one of these boyos on my last car, a TDDI Focus, and it made it into a racecar cleaned up the rear of the car no end. You don't want anything too mad looking (ahem), as you say, just a bit of chrome. It has no effect on the mechanics of the car whatsoever, it's just another shiny part to keep clean. Yours being a petrol will fare better than a smokey daysul.

I had mine on for 4 months before I sold the car, and it lasted just fine, but I'm not sure how long you'd get before it starts to peel or rust. I suppose if you got a year out of it, it's not bad for €10! Although if an actual exhaust place can fab up something similar in proper stainless at a reasonable price, that's a much better long term solution.

Today I actually did something to my car!

Well, last night to be specific.
    oysBk7Q.jpg

And today I fitted these. Old on the left, new on the right. It's as bright as an incandescent during the day, nothing special, but at night it's bright. Like, really bright.

WfZUEkr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Can I ask what kind of money is involved? (would be handy to have a rough gauge).

Just get the tip replaced.
    Cant cost much, Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

NCT number 3 for the MR2 tomorrow -- see how it goes, checked & cleaned up the metal on all the brake flexi hoses all good anyway - coated them in copper grease for rust prevention - fockers did me for mild surface rust one a few years back (common NCT fail)

I put one of these boyos on my last car, a TDDI Focus, and it made it into a racecar cleaned up the rear of the car no end. You don't want anything too mad looking (ahem), as you say, just a bit of chrome. It has no effect on the mechanics of the car whatsoever, it's just another shiny part to keep clean. Yours being a petrol will fare better than a smokey daysul.

I had mine on for 4 months before I sold the car, and it lasted just fine, but I'm not sure how long you'd get before it starts to peel or rust. I suppose if you got a year out of it, it's not bad for €10! Although if an actual exhaust place can fab up something similar in proper stainless at a reasonable price, that's a much better long term solution.

Ah that's all that I really wanted to hear, to be honest. Exhaust tip off the net is something I'd personally rather, cos I'd feel like a bit of a prat standing around an exhaust place, telling them i just want something shiny (and more than likely getting hard-sold into buying a whole new exhaust system off them :D ).

Can I ask you though, is there much extra length added to the exhaust when these are used? Or do they go over a fair bit of the exhaust?

It's just I'd rather not have the exhaust sticking out in a real 'look at me' kind of way, if it can be avoided, too. :o

Rav's exhaust seems to be 2.5 inches in diameter too, which isn't helping. Seems to limit my options quite a bit. Am I mad for kinda liking the 'double/twin' exhaust ones? :o

Edit: Seems this one may work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

KKV, they will do whatever you want them to do...end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You're so much better off getting a stainless steal back back put on rather than the tacky tips.
    Shouldn't cost mush at all.

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say, so, before I press ahead with an internet one. I'm sure they'll work out much more expensive than the tip option, though.

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say, so, before I press ahead with an internet one. I'm sure they'll work out much more expensive than the tip option, though.

It will but out it this way, it'll be a fraction of what you've spent on detailing products wouldn't it be a shame to skimp on finishing details? ;)

You can also get something that sounds a bit better, pick your style and everything. More money but it's well worth it.

I ripped one of those yokes off my Almera. I chose the pea shooter over the tip. :p

Can I ask you though, is there much extra length added to the exhaust when these are used? Or do they go over a fair bit of the exhaust?

It's just I'd rather not have the exhaust sticking out in a real 'look at me' kind of way, if it can be avoided, too. :o

They had about 6-8" onto the pipe at most, but they clamp on, so you can slide it back along the exhaust to clamp it if it's protruding too far. The end result really depends on your particular tail pipe at the moment, if it's up close to the bumper, then you won't see the join between the tip and the pipe. But if it's hanging down slightly and there isn't much bumper around it, it'll be fairly obvious what you've done, and it's not a good look.
    Rav's exhaust seems to be 2.5 inches in diameter too, which isn't helping. Seems to limit my options quite a bit. Am I mad for kinda liking the 'double/twin' exhaust ones? :o

2.5" is only 65 mm, that wouldn't be totally uncommon. They're adjustable so you just have to find one slightly bigger than what you have. Thankfully, 58-74 mm seems to be a fairly common size range on these. If that's what you're into and there's enough space on the bumper (or you don't mind making space :pac:), then go for it. It's even trickier to get the twin exit ones to not look like a bolt on tip, and if you can't disguise the join then it becomes a bit barry looking.

I'd still be inclined to price up a stainless equivalent if you're planning on keeping the car long term. A proper exhaust place could cut your tail pipe back, and make up a decent stainless twin exit tip that joins at the back box. It will look 10 times better ;)

CianRyan wrote: »
    It will but out it this way, it'll be a fraction of what you've spent on detailing products wouldn't it be a shame to skimp on finishing details? wink.png

You can also get something that sounds a bit better, pick your style and everything. More money but it's well worth it.

That's a fair point, regarding the detailing costs. Suppose it doesn't really make sense to spend a few euro on cleaning gear, and then scrimp on the product that's actually being cleaned.

Not sure I'd be mad about changing the noise to be honest. Would actually like the Rav to be a bit more aggressive sounding, but would dread it accidentally ending up sounding like one of those wimpy, overly loud exhausts (all too common with a certain type of driver).

An aggressive, 'growly' kind of noise would be great, but completely unrealistic I'd imagine.

They had about 6-8" onto the pipe at most, but they clamp on, so you can slide it back along the exhaust to clamp it if it's protruding too far. The end result really depends on your particular tail pipe at the moment, if it's up close to the bumper, then you won't see the join between the tip and the pipe. But if it's hanging down slightly and there isn't much bumper around it, it'll be fairly obvious what you've done, and it's not a good look.

2.5" is only 65 mm, that wouldn't be totally uncommon. They're adjustable so you just have to find one slightly bigger than what you have. Thankfully, 58-74 mm seems to be a fairly common size range on these. If that's what you're into and there's enough space on the bumper (or you don't mind making space :pac:), then go for it. It's even trickier to get the twin exit ones to not look like a bolt on tip, and if you can't disguise the join then it becomes a bit barry looking.

I'd still be inclined to price up a stainless equivalent if you're planning on keeping the car long term. A proper exhaust place could cut your tail pipe back, and make up a decent stainless twin exit tip that joins at the back box. It will look 10 times better ;)

Hmm, that's a good point regarding the exhaust itself. The Rav's exhaust isn't exactly hidden away behind the bumper or such. If you look for it, it stands out quite a bit.

7E8C723CC0364CC5987990E432785690-0000333410-0003471534-00800L-C0C86A24583F46BDA31EE444213A90FB.jpg

(though admittedly the camera was relatively low down when taking that photo).

So looks like a trip out to Trim is in order. See what the chaps out there think. I'll give them a call, but I doubt they'll give me anything over the phone price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's a fair point, regarding the detailing costs. Suppose it doesn't really make sense to spend a few euro on cleaning gear, and then scrimp on the product that's actually being cleaned.

Not sure I'd be mad about changing the noise to be honest. Would actually like the Rav to be a bit more aggressive sounding, but would dread it accidentally ending up sounding like one of those wimpy, overly loud exhausts (all too common with a certain type of driver).

An aggressive, 'growly' kind of noise would be great, but completely unrealistic I'd imagine.

Hmm, that's a good point regarding the exhaust itself. The Rav's exhaust isn't exactly hidden away behind the bumper or such. If you look for it, it stands out quite a bit.

[i,g]http://photos3.pix.ie/7E/8C/7E8C723CC0364CC5987990E432785690-0000333410-0003471534-00800L-C0C86A24583F46BDA31EE444213A90FB.jpg[/img]

(though admittedly the camera was relatively low down when taking that photo).

So looks like a trip out to Trim is in order. See what the chaps out there think. I'll give them a call, but I doubt they'll give me anything over the phone price wise.

You would deffo see an exhaust tip was put on that exhaust. It's not hidden at all and it's quite high up as well.

Better sounding doesn't have to be
    louder, they can explain more when you're talking to them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,448 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rav4 1.8 exhaust is already pretty rorty, wouldn't want to be much louder IMO

Oh I wouldn't really want it to be any louder. That's only drawing attention to it. I hate loud exhausts.

Just a slightly meaner 'grumble' to it would be nice, though. Although I do like the noise of it when it's idle anyway. I hate 'high pitched' car noises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

v5pu5UBl.jpg

Still needs a bit of tidying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

GvidoR wrote: »
    v5pu5UBl.jpg

Still needs a bit of tidying up.

Nice aquarium :-)

Did a fair bit of work on the E66 the other night, changed out the yellow LEDs in the angel eyes for white ones. Pain in the ass on facelifts as the whole bumper has to come off, as well as pulling the headlights and filter box. :/

Before:
    IMG_17661_zpsba487b25.jpg

IMG_17672_zpsb637f8ef.jpg

IMG_17683_zpsad687fd0.jpg

IMG_17705_zps8de47495.jpg

A sorry sight:
    IMG_177914_zpsffcbf99b.jpg

IMG_177712_zpsa9e8a0f1.jpg

New LEDs with a two year warranty:
    IMG_178015_zpscf0af299.jpg

IMG_178116_zps49be9e2b.jpg

Old and new:
    IMG_178217_zpsd8909048.jpg

IMG_178116_zps49be9e2b.jpg

Note the glare from the white LEDs in photography is due to the increased brightness, nice and crisp in the flesh:

IMG_178520_zps7b1b3f26.jpg

IMG_178722_zps946f6d0d.jpg

IMG_178621_zps7e8ec544.jpg

IMG_178823_zps1270b38d.jpg

In the dark:
    IMG_179427_zpsf35d35f4.jpg

IMG_179930_zps1b814b99.jpg

IMG_180031_zps10fc0c21.jpg

IMG_180132_zpsf81c39f7.jpg

Also machine polished the bootlid in preparation for a 740Li re-badging, got it from the dealer to be sure of a genuine one.

IMG_178924_zps5dcad0c3.jpg

IMG_179025_zpsd98704af.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

bmstuff wrote: »
    Nice aquarium :-)

Ummm... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Did a fair bit of work on the E66 the other night,.....

Love the car Voodoo, colour combo really suits it. Not one bit jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

GvidoR wrote: »
    Ummm... what?

Just messing. What are you installing in that enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

Today I serviced it on my own for the first time!

Mechanic said it was serviced at the time of the cam belt change at 102k (now 105k),
    Like feck it was!! it had started to rumble a bit worryingly at idle this last week (NOT noisy hydraulic lifters).

oil came out like tar!hidesbehindsofa.gif:o

Why have I been paying someone to do this for me?????err.gif

Also got my parking sensors in the post woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Got sick and tired of my old smelly seats in E46, decided to get new ones, but before that: unplugged all ****, threw them into bath with all mechanisms (but no wires or sensors or heaters) and washed them with various cleaning products.

Now will let them dry for 8 days and see what happens.

Mean time: looking for new seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,448 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

arleitiss wrote: »
    Got sick and tired of my old smelly seats in E46, decided to get new ones, but before that: unplugged all ****, threw them into bath with all mechanisms (but no wires or sensors or heaters) and washed them with various cleaning products.

Now will let them dry for 8 days and see what happens.

Mean time: looking for new seats.

Removing the covers completely from the frames and putting them in the washing machine gives amazing results.

Advertisement