Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Precisely.
    If that was the liquid gold Castrol oil, I would be a lot more peeved.

Its very sickening having to clean all the bloody oil. So hard to get rid of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

YbFocus wrote: »
    Its very sickening having to clean all the bloody oil. So hard to get rid of it!

bag of sand and and a sweeping brush should clear up most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Concrete is the way foreward, easy to keep clean. Tarmac would ravel up! :eek:

Sand/sawdust to soak it all up and pressure wash it. I forget what the cleaner we use is called but it takes off a lot of the mess that's spilled

I'd post a pic of a before and after but I wouldn't want to upset some posters any more and get them into a temper tantrum. Awwwwww :(

dgt wrote: »
    Concrete is the way foreward, easy to keep clean. Tarmac would ravel up! :eek:

Sand/sawdust to soak it all up and pressure wash it. I forget what the cleaner we use is called but it takes off a lot of the mess that's spilled

I'd post a pic of a before and after but I wouldn't want to upset some posters any more and get them into a temper tantrum. Awwwwww :(

May spec some concrete frontage to the new shed then :D
    I do the whole sand/sawdust thing and labourous cleaning but you can see it when it rains for months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Don't really care as I rent the house :P

But yeah, I think sawdust or cat litter is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dgt wrote: »

Ah come on lad, don't be like that!

A good idea when changing oil is to get a cardboard box or two from Dunnes, flatten them out and put them on the ground under the car and your used oil catcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ah come on lad, don't be like that!

A good idea when changing oil is to get a cardboard box or two from Dunnes, flatten them out and put them on the ground under the car and your used oil catcher.

I just use old carpet, works great so it does! roll it back up when your done and away you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

We just use 8 by 4 sheets of the white plastic they use to protect floors correx it's called. For those who don't know it it effectively the plastic sheets they make signs out of ie house for sales signs. Handy stuff just place the sheet under the cars when servicing and if oil spills just wipe it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Put the valley pan back in the 735i and tore my hands up trying to get a torque wrench into the pan .

Installed new O Rings and the coolant pipes over the valley pan and the new water pump and gasket.

Getting very close to having a running e38 again and with an engine that should need nothing bar routine servicing for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just one of those days :o I'm alright now :)

+1 on the cardboard, littered everywhere here are old cardboard boxes covered in oil/grease/fluids etc that save the ground and cleaner. Great way to keep it all tidy, I'll still keep the pan as close to the sump as possible to minimize the mess though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Precisely.
    If that was the liquid gold Castrol oil, I would be a lot more peeved.

Castrols all I use. Great tack. Dear for the van. 8 litres of fully synthetic

Speaking of oil, I've loads of it that I'm not using as I changed my mind about which one to use in the 335!

Speaking of oil, I've loads of it that I'm not using as I changed my mind about which one to use in the 335!

What type is it? I might take it off your hands :)

What type is it? I might take it off your hands :)

Castrol Magnatec 10w40 (5ltr)

Castrol Edge 0w30 (4 ltr) - has been opened and a bit gone but there's about 3.5 litres left.

Castrol Magnatec 10w40 (5ltr)

Castrol Edge 0w30 (4 ltr) - has been opened and a bit gone but there's about 3.5 litres left.

I seeeeee, messaged you there now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I changed my broken foglight today. The replacement was different so I changed the other also, still not that happy with them.

Also went looking for the short in the rear lights. I fixed the lights but still not sure where the short is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

OSI wrote: »
    What put you off the magnatec if you don't mind me asking? I used to be a big advocate of it, but have steered away of late as I gather it is the Beats headphones of Oil. All marketing, no substance.

It's just been superseded buy engines with higher quality oil requirements and other oils meeting those requirements. It's still perfect for older cars though :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It's just been superseded buy engines with higher quality oil requirements and other oils meeting those requirements. It's still perfect for older cars though :)

Well it's mine now so ye can all go away :pac: One for the saab and one for the opel :D

What put you off the magnatec if you don't mind me asking? I used to be a big advocate of it, but have steered away of late as I gather it is the Beats headphones of Oil. All marketing, no substance.

I wasn't put off Magnatec, just 10w40. I was told the N54 likes 0w30 (which I used as a top up) and 10w40 but also 5w30 and I was going to do an oil change myself using 10w40 but didn't get a chance and when the Daltonator did the rear turbo, he used 5w30 so I'm just going to stick with that.

The 10w40 is suggested to combat oil leaks in the turbo (original ones that haven't been replaced) but the remanufactured ones use tougher o ring seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

My gsxr600 with motul 10w40 made 98.8 hp.

With castrol 10w40 made 109.98 hp.

No beats there

• Advertisement

I've used almost all oils, the cars I've had have never been happier than with Mobil1.
    It's far better than anything else I've used.
    Would recommend it to anyone to try once and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I've used almost all oils, the cars I've had have never been happier than with Mobil1.
    It's far better than anything else I've used.
    Would recommend it to anyone to try once and see.

+1 on the Mobil. I always used castrol magnetic but I changed over to Mobil just to try it. And I think it's far superior the car runs smoother and mpg abit better too. I'd never but anything else in the focus now.

Bpmull wrote: »
    +1 on the Mobil. I always used castrol magnetic but I changed over to Mobil just to try it. And I think it's far superior the car runs smoother and mpg abit better too. I'd never but anything else in the focus now.

If i was after that this is what I'd be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Not so much today.

De-badged the back.
    Removed dealer number plate covers and dealer sticker in rear window.
    Wrapped petrol cap.

6atC8zol.jpg

G42iKdLl.jpg

How do you go about debadging it? I'm presuming a hot air gun or something along the lines of that and then wash the glue off?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,448 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the colt just has stickers rather than badges?

I have de-badged a few cars. Usually they are chrome plastic(ish) pieces, but in case of this Colt, yeah they are stickers but de-badging is the same.

I use a hair dryer that will loosen the pieces (or stickers) but they both leave glue underneath which has to be cleaned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

GvidoR wrote: »
    I have de-badged a few cars. Usually they are chrome plastic(ish) pieces, but in case of this Colt, yeah they are stickers but de-badging is the same.

I use a hair dryer that will loosen the pieces (or stickers) but they both leave glue underneath which has to be cleaned off.

De-tar/Surgical spirits/rubbing alcohol all work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Why wrap the petrol cap?
    Clean Colts are getting rare, you should try and keep this one fairly OEM looking.

This is my favourite Colt in the country.

• Advertisement

Why not?

...and I can't see the link, it is asking me to log into something.

Advertisement