Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

Passed NCT -> 01/2015

e5bcd3a3-b939-4225-8a51-eaf482b243b5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I would love one of those saabs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think the camera that took that was made the same year :D

Very nice car though!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Trollhättan

I think the camera that took that was made the same year :D

Very nice car though!

Thanks but not quite as old... iPhone 4s.

Note to self...must clean lens.
    Note to Applus...must clean windows! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I love those Saabs! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got a new door handle during the week for the car. Comfort Access was never working; water gets in behind the handle and corrodes the cables and solder joints. They're eye-wateringly expensive and BMW typically want €800+ to provide one installed, in the correct colour. I got mine brand new for less than a quarter of that. :)

Old door handle out: (BMW again want €250 for two special tools to get the handle out, coathanger and a flathead screwdriver do the same thing):

WP_20140130_0064_zpse31d0d25.jpg

Old and new:
    WP_20140130_0053_zpsbd63ad71.jpg

WP_20140130_0031_zps3718e785.jpg

Corroded cables:
    WP_20140130_0042_zpsce9476b3.jpg

Now working again!

Well chuffed with the repair. :D

Now to repair the old one and keep as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got 2 ignition leads from the breakers for 12 euro and replaced them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

GvidoR wrote: »

Why not new and all4 ?

Because one or two of the middle ones were throwing sparks, and since I am going to order blue or red set of 4, I didn't want to spend much at the moment, but I want the car to run fine until I get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

20 euro would have bought ya 2 new ones. They deteriorate with age

• Advertisement

Motor factors don't sell them separately, I didn't really have any other choice.

Motor factors don't sell them separately, I didn't really have any other choice.

Iv often bought them separately a few times

Because one or two of the middle ones were throwing sparks, and since I am going to order blue or red set of 4, I didn't want to spend much at the moment, but I want the car to run fine until I get those.

But why not the whole set? Is there a reason for holding out for the other set?

Under 50 euro for a blue set on geebay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Finally got around to some housekeeping.
    Replaced the little clips which keep the plastic covers attached to the car in the engine bay.
    Topped up the screenwash
    Pumped the tyres
    Checked other fluids
    Put the screenwash jet that was firing over the roof at the car pointed at the windscreen
    Cleaned the windows
    Took out the air and pollen filters to see how clean it was.
    Gave the inside a hoover

Nothing major but i do always give her a little once over like this half way between services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Finally got around to some housekeeping.
    Replaced the little clips which keep the plastic covers attached to the car in the engine bay.
    Topped up the screenwash
    Pumped the tyres
    Checked other fluids
    Put the screenwash jet that was firing over the roof at the car pointed at the windscreen
    Cleaned the windows
    Took out the air and pollen filters to see how clean it was.
    Gave the inside a hoover

Nothing major but i do always give her a little once over like this half way between services.

Sometimes it's the little things that give the most satisfaction :)

yea but i am half expecting someone like dgt to come in and put up pictures saying today i changed the engine in the 406.

That said i always like the mid service tidy up. The time before this I found two bulges on the inside of one of my tyres.

yea but i am half expecting someone like dgt to come in and put up pictures saying today i changed the engine in the 406.

That said i always like the mid service tidy up. The time before this I found two bulges on the inside of one of my tyres.

Not today I'm afraid! :eek: I meant to do that but when I got round to getting up, it began to lash rain :(

However I washed 5 cars (all the BMW's, van and Sportwagon), cleaned up some sensors, shimmed another gov and removed my exhaust. All in the dark so no pics.....! :o

Yeah I'm a disgrace :pac:

Your light workload for today puts me to shame.

No he just fitted 6 turbos to it. He had to modify the left wing to fit them all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

OSI wrote: »
    They have high performance cars that sell in Europe.

As proves my point above. They are not however big, ineffecient V8s. In case you hadn't noticed there's a massive shift in the European market towards smaller lighter engines. Whether we like that or not, it's what sells. Car manufacturers don't spend millions on researching the market to decide that spending millions on developing smaller and lighter engines is a great way to waste money. If the likes of the V6/8 Falcons would sell in Europe, they would be sold in Europe. Why would Ford bother developing cars specifically for one market if they could be sold everywhere.

You've got some serious chip on your shoulder about my GTI. Every time you disagree with something I say you drag into a conversation that had no reference to it.

Yes, they have high performance cars that sell well, but nothing with a big engine or RWD. Despite a turn or the average motorist wanting small turbo charged engines there will always be a demand for larger engines cars.

As for spending milions on development... The cars already exists! Already in the correct format for the UK and Ireland. Switching the drivers side is a drop in the ocean or a brand like Ford.
    An if they can sell the Mustang over here with the wheel on the wrong see they can do the same on the continent.

As for your GTI, I like it.
    It's a lovely looking car, mentioning it seems to be the only way to get a real response out of you sometimes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Washed air intake filter. Dried. Sprayed with K&N oil.

MAF sensor cleaned.

Reset ECU.

Got rid of low revs and shaking while idle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

joujoujou wrote: »
    Washed air intake filter. Dried. Sprayed with K&N oil.

MAF sensor cleaned.

Reset ECU.

Got rid of low revs and shaking while idle. :D

always wondered, can the oil in those k&n filters affect the maf sensor negatively

Unregistered Users

If used reasonably - no.

MAF sensor is very easy to clean up anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

cletus wrote: »
    always wondered, can the oil in those k&n filters affect the maf sensor negatively

Yes its the main killer of MAF sensors! I wouldn't touch a non paper element filter with a barge pole

Unregistered Users

Oh my god! :eek:

So my MAF sensor died 5 years ago, right?

cletus wrote: »
    Only if over oiled.

I wouldn't go k+n myself actually fairly restrictive for a "sports filter" bmc is the one imo. The induction noise on the gsxr is incredible with bmc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Cabin/pollen filter change yesterday.

Filters.jpg

A disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

joujoujou wrote: »
    Oh my god! :eek:

So my MAF sensor died 5 years ago, right?

Perhaps no but have you tested the readings its given with live data recently? There are 2 situations that damage MAF sensors, when the car is shut off and the breather gas is forced back though it and when its sucking oil via a filter. Besides they generally have a detrimental effect of horsepower rather than the claimed increase. A well designed OEM airbox with a paper element filter cant be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Cabin/pollen filter change yesterday.
    A disgrace Joe.

That would be the biggest understatement of the century right there :pac:

I changed my number plate surrounds to ones i got, pics laytur

Advertisement