Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

That would be the biggest understatement of the century right there :pac:

In my defence I only have the car a few weeks. The heater was definitely under-performing because of the nasty filter. It was taking ages to heat the cabin and get the mist off the windscreen - all sorted since the filter was replaced.

Actually, following this thread armed me with a bit of knowledge which led to me tackling the problem.

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

In my defence I only have the car a few weeks. The heater was definitely under-performing because of the nasty filter. It was taking ages to heat the cabin and get the mist off the windscreen - all sorted since the filter was replaced.

Actually, following this thread armed me with a bit of knowledge which led to me tackling the problem.

Cheers lads.

Ah well then! Shame on the last owner!

I like this thread, you do learn an awful lot from it, I'm considering replacing my throttle body by myself, I'm slightly nervous about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

rex-x wrote: »
    [...] have you tested the readings its given with live data recently? [...]

Yep, no issues whatsoever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So lads, I want to replace my plugs, and I'm looking for recommendations. What brand should I go for? Bosch? Ngk? And does anyone have any recommendations on where to get them?

So lads, I want to replace my plugs, and I'm looking for recommendations. What brand should I go for? Bosch? Ngk? And does anyone have any recommendations on where to get them?

I'd go for ngk as i have them in the astra, and the saab, and i've heard nothing but good stuff about them, if that helps, as for getting them, I'd say a motor factors, but you'd need to be specific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Don't worry about the brand once they are the exact model/s that the service book recommends. I would probably go for Bosch in a german car though because they probably are OE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iridium .6mm tips are my favourite (ngk)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Iridium .6mm tips are my favourite (ngk)

Won't be worth a **** in some cars though so buy the correct ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Won't be worth a **** in some cars though so buy the correct ones!

They jaut wouldn't last high milage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

1998 Aston Martin 5.3L V8 DB7 Volante
    Upgrading the sound system while the car is going under a full restoration by its owner

The plan:
    Gladen Audio, 6.5" 2 ways components for the front.
    5" 2 ways components for the rear.
    Mosconi 120.4 amplifier class AB
    New Pioneer radio
    Cameras front and rear
    Built in mini screens into the central mirror

So far today...

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG

Starting with the front speakers

5.JPG
    6.JPG

Old and new one, 6.5"

7.JPG
    8.JPG
    9.JPG
    9.1.JPG
    9.2.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG

• Advertisement

New speakers grills

13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG
    16.JPG

Rear speakers

17.JPG

Old and new

17.1.JPG
    18.JPG
    19.JPG
    20.JPG
    21.JPG
    22.JPG

Installing the crossovers for the rear speakers

23.JPG

Wiring the amplifier's power.

24.JPG

Custom support for the amplifier

25.JPG

Testing the radio

26.JPG

To be continued...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

What a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Blatantly you are at the top end of what you do Bmstuff, quite amazing work that I can't comprehend!
    You get near some serious machinery!

Edit: What are they doing with the lump hammer in the engine pic :eek:

YbFocus wrote: »
    Blatantly you are at the top end of what you do Bmstuff, quite amazing work that I can't comprehend!
    You get near some serious machinery!

Edit: What are they doing with the lump hammer in the engine pic :eek:

Thanks we do our best with my buddy, still a long way to go compared to some shops, but working towards it, for example https://www.facebook.com/BriansCustomAudio

No idea about the hammer I am afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

bmstuff wrote: »
    Thanks we do our best with my buddy, still a long way to go compared to some shops, but working towards it, for example https://www.facebook.com/BriansCustomAudio

No idea about the hammer I am afraid

The Jeremy Clarkson school of mechanics :)

I think you guys are pretty well there working on cars like that, thats just crazy!

Before seeing your work I never realised people done audio work to top end cars!

Did this the other night

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Coolant flush complete. Bled the system and it seems okay, although I'm not 100% confident but I stopped to watch the match. I'll give it a proper run tomorrow.

So today was a bit eh....frustrating, as you might have seen I'm taking the sump off on friday and going to town on the oil system, due to the low oil pressure light coming on, although it might just be a dodgy sensor, but better safe than sorry

Someone once told me nothing is ever easy with a saab, now I'm slowly beginning to believe them :pac:

Lets start with the plastic screws! Which hold on the number plates that decided to snap off when you go near them :mad: So a bit of counter sinking and swearing later I had my plate holders on, but the plates were bent so they wouldn't fit right

Next on the list was removing the timing cover to see if there was any traces of sludge, to get this off you need to remove the coil pack, so! I do this and heres what greeted me

2uiesg4.jpg

2uhye74.jpg

Things are rounder than a circle :mad:

So any suggestions? Considering cutting a strip from them so I can use a flat head screwdriver, but im a bit wary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Them thing are complete and utter bsatards. I always get so cross when I see them. Think I got ones off before with a vice grips. It's awful hard because there's nothing for it to grip to, and it keeps slipping, but you'll get there eventually! :)

Them thing are complete and utter bsatards. I always get so cross when I see them. Think I got ones off before with a vice grips. It's awful hard because there's nothing for it to grip to, and it keeps slipping, but you'll get there eventually! :)

Slowly but surely :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Was someone trying to do the same before you?

ba_barabus wrote: »

I've no idea, I just took the coilpack off and there they were, so they might have been at it or a garage might have torqued them to within and inch of their lives or something

I've no idea, I just took the coilpack off and there they were, so they might have been at it or a garage might have torqued them to within and inch of their lives or something

No matter what it's no a PITA. Hopefully you'll get it sorted with a liberal application of swear words.

No matter what it's no a PITA. Hopefully you'll get it sorted with a liberal application of swear words.

And a lot of fist shaking of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Gave the focus a service today oil, air and oil filter. I didn't get a chance to clean it but at least it's serviced now. The service it's self was fairly uneventful other than the fact the air filter was fairly dirty considering there was only just over 20k km on it (i do it every second service).

3A50758F-87F4-4209-B503-27AF93AD9A41_zpstm4j17ke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Nothing major today, swapped the bulbs in the carina - a more complex job than I expected as all the nuts had rusted in place.
    I genuinely don't think they have been removed in years.
    No pics as it is dark but it went successfully. I didn't want to be another muppet in a Toyota with a light out!

It almost looks sheared :eek:

Good luck with that TP, looks like you'll need it with that dreaded saab sludge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I put my tax and nct disc on the window, oh and went for a bit of a spin but it rained half way up the wicklow gap.

It almost looks sheared :eek:

Good luck with that TP, looks like you'll need it with that dreaded saab sludge :(

It looks like it'll be a fiddly job. I reckon the previous owner suspected the sludge issue and got shot of it. Although I hope this isn't the case.

• Advertisement

It looks like it'll be a fiddly job. I reckon the previous owner suspected the sludge issue and got shot of it. Although I hope this isn't the case.

In fairness the car was only €800, what is the worst case if it is the oil sludge - new engine? Can't be much more than the same again to fix.

Advertisement