Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

In fairness the car was only €800, what is the worst case if it is the oil sludge - new engine? Can't be much more than the same again to fix.

The costs of the parts and the time to spend rebuilding it aswell could easily run to the price of the car....

If a new turbo is needed (Garrett GT17 I thinks) that's bloody expensive too! :( unless one decided to rebuild it themselves :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

So today was a bit eh....frustrating, as you might have seen I'm taking the sump off on friday and going to town on the oil system, due to the low oil pressure light coming on, although it might just be a dodgy sensor, but better safe than sorry

Someone once told me nothing is ever easy with a saab, now I'm slowly beginning to believe them :pac:

Lets start with the plastic screws! Which hold on the number plates that decided to snap off when you go near them :mad: So a bit of counter sinking and swearing later I had my plate holders on, but the plates were bent so they wouldn't fit right

Next on the list was removing the timing cover to see if there was any traces of sludge, to get this off you need to remove the coil pack, so! I do this and heres what greeted me

2uiesg4.jpg

2uhye74.jpg

Things are rounder than a circle :mad:

So any suggestions? Considering cutting a strip from them so I can use a flat head screwdriver, but im a bit wary

Get a decent set of heads and hammer the next size up in. The hammering breaks the grip of the screw and they normally come out easy then.

I put stainless allen head bolts into alu calipers and a year later tryed to get them out and not a budge (yes I know worst combination every to forget copper grease)

Calipers into a vice hammered in a torx head and each came out no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Get a decent set of heads and hammer the next size up in. The hammering breaks the grip of the screw and they normally come out easy then.

I put stainless allen head bolts into alu calipers and a year later tryed to get them out and not a budge (yes I know worst combination every to forget copper grease)

Calipers into a vice hammered in a torx head and each came out no problem

I won't be doing that, I don't want to risk it, but it might be a very last resort option
    dgt wrote: »
    The costs of the parts and the time to spend rebuilding it aswell could easily run to the price of the car....

If a new turbo is needed (Garrett GT17 I thinks) that's bloody expensive too! :( unless one decided to rebuild it themselves :cool:

Yep its a gt17, very prone to sh!tting themselves apparently :o However should this happen, i know a little birdy selling a td04, which is the turbo from the aeros ;)

Fingers crossed it's just the oil switch
    In fairness the car was only €800, what is the worst case if it is the oil sludge - new engine? Can't be much more than the same again to fix.

If it is oil sludging the worst case is that it's spread through the entire engine, and starved the engine of oil, so yeah a new engine would be on order, but as far as i can see it has a breather kit installed, and it's had very regular services, so we might be able to save it, if we get it in time, it's just a case of clearing the sump, the pickup strainer, oil cooler and replacing all the rubber seals, so hopefully it's not too far gone, because i'm carless three days now and i have already gone insane :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

BMW 630i

The plan:
    Dension 500 + Bluetooth for music streaming from Samsung phone
    Dension Audio Video Router for video/TV integration into the iDrive.
    Digital TV double tuner MPEG2/4

0.JPG

Wiring up the kits

1.JPG

Antennas

2.JPG

Setting up the antennas

3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG

TV tuner secured

9.JPG

TV tuner remote control sensor

10.JPG

The system in action

11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG

That's insane, you make it look too easy :cool: How much would something like that set you back if you mind me asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

All that to watch rtgee and iplayer. Nice setup though.

That's insane, you make it look too easy :cool: How much would something like that set you back if you mind me asking

It is easy in fairness, just time consuming and a few set backs sometimes.
    I spent over 2h trying to open the glovebox as I forgot to put the latch back and I closed it half way installed :o
    This standard set up is between 750 to 900 euros depending on the options.

Hal1 wrote: »
    All that to watch rtgee and iplayer. Nice setup though.

The TV tuner has a USB input so you can copy your movies/TV series and watch on the go too. Nice for passenger on long trips or while waiting. Video in motion is enabled too.

bmstuff wrote: »
    It is easy in fairness, just time consuming and a few set backs sometimes.
    I spent over 2h trying to open the glovebox as I forgot to put the latch back and I closed it half way installed :o
    This standard set up is between 750 to 900 euros depending on the options.

Still it's worth the money I'm guessing, sound quality and so on, haha there was me thinking, when i have a few hundred I'll ask bmstuff to do a job on my thing :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

haha there was me thinking, when i have a few hundred I'll ask bmstuff to do a job on my thing :pac::pac:

He doesn't do engine rebuilds :pac:

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He doesn't do engine rebuilds :pac:

Not yet he doesn't! :pac: It's got surround sound as it is, but I'm building a little cluster for gauges to sit on top of the dashboard, I was going to incorporate a dashcam into it too soooooo y'know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

I got a new set of mats for the TT and gave the interior a general scrub.

OCtWQyUl.jpg
    k50nth9l.jpg

japasca wrote: »
    I got a new set of mats for the TT and gave the interior a general scrub.

CtWQyUl.jpg
    k5nth9l.jpg

Nice but how much

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Nice but how much

I got them from the main dealer for €74 and figured if they last another 7 years they will be well worth it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The beige looks great, but a crazy colour for car mats!

I got them from the main dealer for €74 and figured if they last another 7 years they will be well worth it :pac:

Not as bad as I thought. Alot to be sed for correctly fitting mats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Use Gtechniq I1 on them and it'll be a LOT easier to keep them cleaner for longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

As is the fashion here lately I got myself some Nightbreakers,
    They make quite a difference to my old standard bulb:
    Before
    DSC_0343_zpsf9bb5203.jpg
    After
    DSC_0345_zpsf01b1d89.jpg

We'll pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Well, this was last night.

Gbc9EGVl.jpg
    7t2l6Qsl.jpg
    nZZsGEVl.jpg
    h5Bw8FZl.jpg

Put on a K&N sticker on my car and now I feel bad because I don't have a K&N filter, hahah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

So I've been on the hunt for some OEM mats that don't slip all over the place while driving as my car has no anchor for the mats, these fit like a glove and the underside is quite gritty so they don't move at all.

I got the Valuemats last week and stuck them in today - very Impressed , after a long wait due to a massive order from the deal posted on HUKD :

Original DEAL: VALUECARMATS.COM have an offer using code 'Iwantadeal' for 40% off car mats

New -vs- Old:

0ksn.jpg

(Back of Mats):

tsw9.jpg

DRIVERS SIDE:

Before:

zy8s.jpg

ic61.jpg

b00l.jpg

After:

6zn2.jpg

y3qx.jpg

2hbu.jpg

PASSENGER SIDE:

Before:

ewgo.jpg

2r03.jpg

5hlq.jpg

After:

0o66.jpg

ajho.jpg

8b1u.jpg

So I was a little busy today, finally got round to fitting some parts to the saab, and getting more parts, all discounted of course ;)

So, new bonnet lifters were first to go on

20uz69e.jpg

Next up was the cracked indicator lens, simple enough to do, undo a screw

11mdkt2.jpg

disconnect the light, simply twist and pull out

55j06.jpg

And you're left with this!

drf2fo.jpg

Fit the new one and do the above in reverse and you're good to go :)

After this I wanted to change the bonnet badge because it was worn away to nothing, so my weapon of choice was a small flat-head screwdriver and some masking tape

nf314p.jpg

Surround the badge with tape so you won't scratch the paint and pry the screwdriver under the badge

1zn4ldv.jpg

The new one was backed with adhesive so it's a case of peeling away the cover and firmly sticking it on :)

2qx43eo.jpg

Also picked up sump sealant and a pickup strainer today :)

2i6jtcl.jpg

So there you have it! Next on the list is dropping the sump so there'l be loads of pics for that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Got my car washed and waxed today, drove home. Five minutes later walked back out to the car and not one but three (3) bird s$&ts on it. Besterds :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

OSI wrote: »
    Did you buy the headlights with the projectors seperately? Haven't seen them without Xenons in a Mk5. Ever thought about a HID kit?

They're actually just a whole unit you can pop in as a direct replacement for the original headlights(there made by Depo, think that's the name),
    I really like the look of the xenon headlights but they cost a small fortune so these ones seemed a perfect solution as they still use all the regular bulbs(easy maintenance) while looking like xenon headlights(the lighting is far superior than the originals).

I have thought about a HID kit but to be perfectly honest I have know idea exactly what is needed (ballast, coding, etc..) and I don't want to end up blinding people:)

PS: I'm liking that 'Fast' avatar you've changed to:)

27/01: Ordered 4 x Uniroyal RainExperts to be delivered to Walkinstown Tyre Centre
    05/02: Tyres delivered (after travelling almost 2000km from Poland!)
    Today: Dropped into the tyre centre and had them fitted and balanced. Really happy with them! Was down to 2mm tread on some of the tyres.

Hooray! Next week car bill is the timing belt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Anti-roll bar bushings and links replaced. Front and rear.

100 notes gone. :(

Car washed - can see it's real colour now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Dónal wrote: »
    27/01: Ordered 4 x Uniroyal RainExperts to be delivered to Walkinstown Tyre Centre
    05/02: Tyres delivered (after travelling almost 2000km from Poland!)
    Today: Dropped into the tyre centre and had them fitted and balanced. Really happy with them! Was down to 2mm tread on some of the tyres.

Hooray! Next week car bill is the timing belt change.
    Did you buy them from a Polish website? I need new tires

bazery wrote: »
    Did you buy them from a Polish website? I need new tires

I ordered them from Oponeo.ie. DPD delivered them so you could go insane constantly pressing refresh to see where the package is at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The GTI could do with a wash:p

• Advertisement

Bought an exhaust tip from motor factors and put it on. It looked better in packaging, to be honest. When it's on the car it doesn't really look right. Kinda regret it now, I'll have to get a proper muffler one day. Too bad the very end of the Colt's exhaust is so awkward. :/

Advertisement