Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

before the poop hit the fan i was doing some intense cleaning. i was well into my 3rd day of cleaning just the outside of the car and i was rapidly running out of stuff to clean. so i split the tail lights, cleaned the gunk off the reflectors (and fixed a broken one) and cleaned all the mossy growth away from inside the lenses. dressed all the rubber seals and sealed them back up. it was so thrilling in fact that i forgot to take many photos.

in this age of LED number plate lighting i replaced my number plate bulbs with orange capless bulbs. looks pretty smart. all because one of the two bulbs was blown and i had no trusty regular capless, so i fitted two orange i had laying around. looks cool imo.

xd9u0l.jpg
    beh79u.jpg
    bj8vsz.jpg
    jtwj2d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

That does look nice :) suits it really well I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Nope, i'm in Dundalk area. I never seen anyone and no one sees me. :D

Are you sure about that...... ;)

In the last few days I've done fook all.... But will continue :)

Clutch on. Still looks somewhat like new :D
    Image848.jpg

Refurb'd LDA top ;)
    Image849.jpg

While I had the tops off I decided to show you all what the term screwing out actually does. When that fuel screw is turned it moves a lever inside the pump which allows the plunger to move foreward more, allowing more fuel to be injected per cycle. That's all!

It's the many many little differences like this that turn me off doing such another conversion :pac:
    Image850.jpg

And my shoulder went :( we return a few hours later
    Image852.jpg

And went again :mad: so today, yet more differences!!!
    Image853.jpg

But it's in :) rather OEM too ;)
    Image854.jpg

And that's all I'm doing for the week, my shoulder needs rest at Kraftwerk :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Got an orbital the other day finally and went mad at the car.
    Not up to the detailers around Here's standards, but I'm happy :)
    20130719_162429.jpg?w=AABgWJ9Dkq8heN0EIUmBIb4K4r_JCQdipSlRVjPtyklMBQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Took the A6 to Portlaoise this morning and got the cruise control fitted (thanks again George!) :)

Just finished updating the MMI soft/firmware to the latest version there now and it's cured a bug whereby the mix/shuffle function wasn't working for cd/mp3 tracks, and added a few other bits I was missing from the first A6 - side note, if anyone wants the CDs PM me.. do your research though.. in my case it was painless but it's at your own risk to do it.

Just waiting on the upgraded parking sensor module to arrive from Germany now so I can add the graphic display option for the parking sensors and then the last 2 things will be tinting the windows and retrofitting the factory bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got some bits and pieces in halfords today,
    Wonder wheels Hot Wheels
    Wonder Wheels Top Gloss Detailer
    T-Cut 365 Ultimate Black

Claybar'd it too, to be fair it didn't really need it.

Was a bit skeptical about the coloured polish but I was wrong. The shine off it is unreal and it does a great job of rubbing out the finer scratches, hopefully the seal will help protect it too.

Didn't get pics as its nearly dark now. The hot wheels is very good too. Didn't think much of the detailing spray, not a patch on the Meguiars stuff.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Got some bits and pieces in halfords today,
    Wonder wheels Hot Wheels
    Wonder Wheels Top Gloss Detailer
    T-Cut 365 Ultimate Black

Claybar'd it too, to be fair it didn't really need it.

Was a bit skeptical about the coloured polish but I was wrong. The shine off it is unreal and it does a great job of rubbing out the finer scratches, hopefully the seal will help protect it too.

Didn't get pics as its nearly dark now. The hot wheels is very good too. Didn't think much of the detailing spray, not a patch on the Meguiars stuff.

Is that the T-cut stuff yeah? I was gona get that today actually

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, €30. Big box

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Spent the last 3 hours trying to get rear shocks off the car. Failed miserably. Apparently there's no way of getting them off at this age without destroying them.

Two new shocks will be on order tomorrow first thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Spent the last 3 hours trying to get rear shocks off the car. Failed miserably. Apparently there's no way of getting them off at this age without destroying them.

Two new shocks will be on order tomorrow first thing.

If its anything like the rear suspension on the E46, I suggest you order every single piece along with the shocks. If the shocks are gone, more than likely none of those gaskets are in reusable condition either.

Today I brought the car into the NCT... couple of months early just to see if anything needs doing. Turns out one of my front shocks is bollixed. Imbalance of 61%. Not having the best luck suspension wise, but sure.... also need a new handbrake adjuster, but the handbrake wasn't a fail point.

Also rolled over 157,000 miles just before that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Recently spotted a bit of rust on car's underbody. Unfortunately there was no metal left over there at all. :(

263428.jpg

Rust has been cut off, patch welded on, some bodyfiller used over it:

263429.jpg

Finally, sanded and painted:

263431.jpg

It's not perfect of course, but next step is coming very soon - side skirts. So that place will be hidden anyway. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If its anything like the rear suspension on the E46, I suggest you order every single piece along with the shocks. If the shocks are gone, more than likely none of those gaskets are in reusable condition either.

Today I brought the car into the NCT... couple of months early just to see if anything needs doing. Turns out one of my front shocks is bollixed. Imbalance of 61%. Not having the best luck suspension wise, but sure.... also need a new handbrake adjuster, but the handbrake wasn't a fail point.

Also rolled over 157,000 miles just before that :)

Yup, gonna go the whole hog. Doesn't make sense to do little bits here and there. If I replace the whole lot, that'll be the entire suspension refreshed on the rear, minus the subframe bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Small job today.. refitted the phone holder for the Note 2 that I previously had used in the Passat....

WP_20130720_001.jpg

WP_20130720_002.jpg

WP_20130720_003.jpg

Did take 2 attempts though. Originally tried putting it lower down on the side (as you can see by the holes) but the angle was off and I wasn't happy with that, but at least that piece of trim can be replaced on its own (which is why I wanted it there in the first place)

I'm happy enough anyway and the power socket positioning actually works pretty well where it is now too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

was driving the mothers car and noticed the aircon had packed up. Got it regassed in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

dh0011 wrote: »
    was driving the mothers car and noticed the aircon had packed up. Got it regassed in limerick.

Whereabouts did you get it done in limerick and what was the damage if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking to get my own done close to home.

Today I got my rad fan working again. The fan never worked at any speed, but this only became a problem in the heat waves. One decorroded relay pack later (and many skinned kunckles), it lives :D

Rapid auto care near upper william street
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/rapid-auto-care-limerick/ms-90041181/
    it was 90 which was not bad as the cars refrigerant was 95% empty.

Got a similar job done on my own car in cork city was 60 for that and i got them to do a bit of a clean for 20. I think there is a bit more competition in the market in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

changed the pollen filter in the 147 as the air con was blowing cold but smelled like a wet dog every time I switched it on and the fan wasn't as powerful as it could be.

note: most of the pics are mine but the under-dash ones are taken from a tutorial I found online as the pics I took didn't come out.

cabin air filter is awkward enough to get too, it's in behind the centre console and is accessed via passenger footwell

IoXi0GE.jpg

H7JFYlH.jpg

new air filter comes in two parts, the factory fit is a one-piece but you can't replace it as it was put in before the car was fully assembled :)

this is what they look like, the OEM ones are activated charcoal which keeps smells and general nastiness out of the cabin

L31J8XS.jpg

OBWBBP8.jpg

remove trim under glovebox with 10mm socket, 3 bolts. You can see the indent from the fan motor

0fG2xXr.jpg

you need to undo three bolts holding an L-shaped bracket that keeps the filters in place behind the centre console. They're in the rare 5.5mm size, thanks Alfa :mad:

S5ZsU6y.jpg

bracket comes out, you can see the filter behind it

RBNv9nM.jpg

iNdt3ou.jpg

old one was original one-piece so never changed and unsurprisingly was manky, smelled awful too

wm2DnOH.jpg

0LYL9SO.jpg

After a bit of jiggling around, balanced new two-piece filter on bracket and persuaded them to fit, you have to go by feel for the first one as you're shoving it up behind the centre console. Make sure air direction arrows on filters point towards the passenger seat. Replace L-bracket and job done, no more smelly a/c and fan flow is much improved :)

s22NP6L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tried the T-cut on yellow headlights trick on my mates very yellow Micra. Headlights look brand new, in fact so new you may think it was in a crash and had the front fixed :pac:

Toothpaste works wonders on headlights.

jif or cif worked for me before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I was low on toothpaste but had loads of tcut :)

Fair enough.
    Suppose you can't use tcut on your teeth

Scortho wrote: »
    Fair enough.
    Suppose you can't use tcut on your teeth

I'll be back in a minute..........

Having just tested the above statement I can confirm you cannot use tcut on your teeth :pac:

Well, it works.... :cool:

Now just the rest to put on and away I go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got some eyelids this morning

gVgwddS.jpg

And started refurbing the alloys too...
    (before)
    7U6cxH0.jpg

(after)
    4dl8J4D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

GvidoR wrote: »
    [...]

eWa4JCdn3.png
    Something eats your bonnet! ;)
    [...]

(after)
    1Qi9d.png

LOL! I love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Got some eyelids this morning

gVgwddS.jpg

The state of that number plate!

The state of that number plate!

Umm.. wha.. wha.. what's wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It just looks unreal awkward in that position.

I can't believe what what I just read, hahah.

Should I put it behind the windscreen instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you look in the middle of the bumper, just below the grille, you will see an indentation on the bumper where the plate normally goes.

Advertisement