Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

OSI wrote: »
    Cheeky!! :p I was thinking while I was sorting the light that as it wasn't raining and was fairly sunny it'd be a good opportunity to wash it. Until I see a bucket rolling down the road followed by a cloud of suds from the guy up the road washing his car. I'll have to continue closing my eyes on the walk to the car for a while longer.

Rain does the job for free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'm actually surprised how much the rain has actually done on the job over the last few days. My wheels are spotless from it. I don't get results like that from the karcher. Hope it keeps up tonight to soften the rest of the crap for when it's washed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Finally got a brand new alternator and car is running like new (07 GP Sporting).

Washed my car for the first time in ages. Sickened to see the amount of stone chips on it. Weren't there the last time I washed it so I'm assuming the weather lately making crap of the roads has a lot to do with it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This weather is dire for stone chips. I avoid certain roads around here and go to and from work on longer routes because I know they are better for the car.

• Advertisement

They're only minor but I'll touch them up when the weathers better. Have a real crappy road on the way to work and I know the stretch they happened on. I'll be d?taking a detour in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Painted the rockah covah! :D

VdRNm5pl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

GvidoR wrote: »
    Painted the rockah covah! :D

VdRNm5pl.jpg

Lookin good!

If you could change the oil cap on it now you'd be doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

That's a roomy engine bay :p

Thanks, I was going to paint the exhaust manifold cover too, but it's very rusty so I will go down to the breakers tomorrow and get a new one and then paint it and put it on my car. :)

Yeah, I was looking at some oil caps on eBay but I don't know which ones fit and which ones don't. I sent a message to one seller about one that I liked and he said that it doesn't fit my car.

@dgt: Yep, one of the reasons I prefer older cars.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I was going to paint the exhaust manifold cover too, but it's very rusty so I will go down to the breakers tomorrow and get a new one and then paint it and put it on my car. :)

Yeah, I was looking at some oil caps on eBay but I don't know which ones fit and which ones don't. I sent a message to one seller about one that I liked and he said that it doesn't fit my car.

Well keep up the good work i say! You learn more about the car the more you take it apart and stick it back together i find

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It's not really got to do with old cars, it's to do with having the smaller engine option in any particular car. Like the 18d in the 5 series.

Good paint job though, one of the best jobs I've seen. Usually they're not cleaned down and it reacts and everything :)

YbFocus wrote: »
    It's not really got to do with old cars, it's to do with having the smaller engine option in any particular car. Like the 18d in the 5 series.

Good paint job though, one of the best jobs I've seen. Usually they're not cleaned down and it reacts and everything :)

Well if you look at older cars, especially in the 70's or 80's you'll notice that there's much more room. New cars are crammed with a bunch of electronics and plastic pieces.

...and thanks. :)

Well if you look at older cars, especially in the 70's or 80's you'll notice that there's much more room. New cars are crammed with a bunch of electronics and plastic pieces.

...and thanks. :)

True about the older machines :)

If you done the inlet manifold in white or something it'd look good :)

I was thinking about doing it in a matching color.

Your choice of course, but I reckon a contrasting white or black would look better than more red.

My closest motor factors only has silver, black and red high-temperature paint. Is there anywhere else I can get it? Woody's maybe?

My closest motor factors only has silver, black and red high-temperature paint. Is there anywhere else I can get it? Woody's maybe?

The inlet manifold won't need high temp :)

I've only ever seen them colours in high temp to be honest, in any m factors I've been in.

That's too bad. I want yellow or blue calipers & drums :(

If i were you, which im not, but if i was, I'd go with the same blue that's on the car, my saab has the same color calipers as the body color and i think it's pretty cool, it's not a massive stand out thing but it's a subtle thing y'know? Make it look factory or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Washed my car for the first time in ages. Sickened to see the amount of stone chips on it. Weren't there the last time I washed it so I'm assuming the weather lately making crap of the roads has a lot to do with it:(

Stones and gravel get washed onto roads in very heavy rain. Just stay abit further back
    dgt wrote: »
    That's a roomy engine bay :p

Try the trafic checking the oil is nearly a engine out job. Iv given up on so many things id like to do over space in the bay

Take it off and wire brush it. Ten mins brushing and paint away

Calipers and drums won't get hot enough to necessitate high temp. They are constantly air cooled!

If i were you, which im not, but if i was, I'd go with the same blue that's on the car, my saab has the same color calipers as the body color and i think it's pretty cool, it's not a massive stand out thing but it's a subtle thing y'know? Make it look factory or something

I saw a blue colt with yellow calipers... looked pretty cool. :P

But then again I had a red Citroen Xsara and I painted the calipers red on it and they looked good too.

I saw a blue colt with yellow calipers... looked pretty cool. :P

Well whatever you think yourself boss ;) looking forward to seeing it though

Soooo, can ya guess what i started doing today? :D:D

qrktwj.jpg

It's the infamous sump drop!, So lets start by making sure that the car is more stable than most buildings, because the last thing you want is a few tonne of saab coming down on you, the parents would have an awful time cleaning the driveway :pac:

So I used, 2 axle stands, my own jack, 3 tyres, and a concrete block

These two little fellas were my best friends today

An 8 mil socket

bed7cj.jpg

and a 13 mil ratchet spanner

120nrl0.jpg

So to bidness! disconnect the negative terminal on the battery

dfu83m.jpg

And then drain the oil, to do this you need to remove an undertray which protects a few pipes and the like, so with your 8mm socket start taking it off, but saab were sneaky in that they put two of the fcukers in, so I've kindly pointed out which one it is :)

2iax3q1.jpg

I should probably mention now, to absolutely drown the nuts and so on in plusgas or wd40, whichevers on hand, because some of them were pigs to get off even with it on them

So now you have all the nuts off, it should come off now right? wrong! theres one more nut in the wheel arch, again pointed out, get this out and then it comes off

2ajqe6r.jpg

And you have this left

15daznl.jpg

While your at it take off the heat shield, undo a nut and gently pull it out

And heres what you have!

11jx088.jpg

Now disconnect the o2 sensors, these are located at the back of the engine on a little bracket, there was three of them so disconnect what's there some models have two others one,

120m3xs.jpg

I made sure to number them as i disconnected them, so i'd remember which went into which ;)

nporhe.jpg

And yes i drew my 1 backwards

Post two coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Try the trafic checking the oil is nearly a engine out job. Iv given up on so many things id like to do over space in the bay

Seicento bay (belt change is fun)

535 bay

500 bay

The sofim Ducatos were another pig, alternator at the back was an arse to change in situ.... :pac:

Anyways, next the front part of the exhaust needed to be removed and repositioned so I can actually get at the sump, again, utter pig of a job but we got there, again drown these nuts in wd40 or whatever you have, it may look like theres two at the manifold but one is hidden away under it so have a feel around first to locate them all

Start underneath the car and disconnect the mounts beside the sump

347hgz9.jpg

Then disconnect it at the manifold

2eme5a8.jpg

And we're off!

1rd7nk.jpg

Also loosened what bolts i could on the sump and the transmission cover, can't do much more till i get a spanner off mr dgt to take off the o2 sensors, then it's full shteam ahead!

YbFocus wrote: »
    Calipers and drums won't get hot enough to necessitate high temp. They are constantly air cooled!

Really? I've been told that they do need high temp paint.

Really? I've been told that they do need high temp paint.

Not unless your flying along or generating immense heat, which very few of us do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Seicento bay (belt change is fun)

535 bay

500 bay

The sofim Ducatos were another pig, alternator at the back was an arse to change in situ.... :pac:
    I meant to ask back when you originally posted the pic of the sei, what's written in tippex?

Advertisement