Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

He sounds it! I might be able to get down or work something out anywyas

I'm sure if he can work something out I can pick it up :)
    It'll give me a reason to finally see the car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

YbFocus wrote: »
    I'm sure if he can work something out I can pick it up :)
    It'll give me a reason to finally see the car :)

True that :D and you too can get as excited as a little schoolgirl at the cupholders :pac: Just like our departed scortho, dgt, mr hot pocket and various other people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's definitely my favorite part of the Saab, it's magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Why didn't you just stick a screwdriver through the filter? You would have gotten it off in 2 minutes or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

GvidoR wrote: »
    Why didn't you just stick a screwdriver through the filter? You would have gotten it off in 2 minutes or less.

That's a slippery slope if it doesn't instantly work (literally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I used that method on a golf before. I ended up making a voodoo doll of the last fecker that put it on! :pac:.

Well that's what I did when I changed the oil on my Colt.

Don't turn the screwdriver until you have it all the way through. Once it's through it will unscrew easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Well that's what I did when I changed the oil on my Colt.

Don't turn the screwdriver until you have it all the way through. Once it's through it will unscrew easily.

SHouldn't need to - think Limerick Man back in the day dried the screw driver method on his VW Bora and ended up needing a hammer and chisel to get the thing off if I remember correctly

SHouldn't need to - think Limerick Man back in the day dried the screw driver method on his VW Bora and ended up needing a hammer and chisel to get the thing off if I remember correctly

Same here with an Octavia

Good question, I done that before and what should have been a simple two minute job ended up being an hour and a half long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There's a risk of sending shrapnel into the oil system, it's a last resort technique really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If it doesn't work its very hard to remove and you can damage the threads on the engine side if your not careful. You dont know is long or short threads

corkgsxr wrote: »
    If it doesn't work its very hard to remove and you can damage the threads on the engine side if your not careful. You dont know is long or short threads

Tap it in close to the bottom. Problem solved. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I meant to ask back when you originally posted the pic of the sei, what's written in tippex?

Only seeing this now...! I haven't a clue myself, I'll get either a better pic when I get the chance or ask around. My guess is last serviced but I'll find out for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Looks like i'm up the creek already with the 740, only 6 weeks in. She's burning oil and puffing blue/white smoke; a friend only pointed it out to me a few days back and it's doing it non-stop now, I never noticed as you can't see it when driving.

It's down 400-500ml in about 500-600 miles, pretty shocking. Valve stem seals have a massive failure rate on these V8s. I checked the CCV breather diaphragms this morning and they're perfect.

If it is the valve stem seals, which i'm 95%+ on, its €€€€€€€€€€€. A huge job.

Car is going back in the morning for diagnosis. Bloody knew something would go wrong once the E38 was out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

That's a balls hopefully it won't cost ya too much. Is it still under warranty tho?

Looks like i'm up the creek already with the 740, only 6 weeks in. She's burning oil and puffing blue/white smoke; a friend only pointed it out to me a few days back and it's doing it non-stop now, I never noticed as you can't see it when driving.

It's down 400-500ml in about 500-600 miles, pretty shocking. Valve stem seals have a massive failure rate on these V8s. I checked the CCV breather diaphragms this morning and they're perfect.

If it is the valve stem seals, which i'm 95%+ on, its €€€€€€€€€€€. A huge job.

Car is going back in the morning for diagnosis. Bloody knew something would go wrong once the E38 was out the door.

Long since last service? Slightly heavier might help in the shorterm

Gavman84 wrote: »
    That's a balls hopefully it won't cost ya too much. Is it still under warranty tho?

It's under warranty aye. BMW in the US charge $7000-$9000 to do it, independents are roughly $4000.

The short remaining warranty has me worried a full repair won't be done. Will have to wait and see.
    Long since last service? Slightly heavier might help in the shorterm

Only 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Scary stuff Voodoo, hope it's not as bad as it seems :(

It's under warranty aye. BMW in the US charge $7000-$9000 to do it, independents are roughly $4000.

The short remaining warranty has me worried a full repair won't be done. Will have to wait and see.

Only 4 months.

12726_10152190973714494_1005377212_n.jpg

• Advertisement

This is the process with a very clever $750 tool kit:

Otherwise the whole top end of the engine comes apart, timing and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is the process with a very clever $750 tool kit:

[html]YacOx2ydMbI[/html]

Otherwise the whole top end of the engine comes apart, timing and all.

Jaysis. Thank fook for the internet.

At least it looks doable if you had the space, and the time to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Today being freezing cold and snowing would be the day I blew one of my main beam bulbs. I thought my fingers were going to fall off when I was changing it.

They really could have given a bit more space to get your hands in to change the bulb. My hands are the size of a little girls and I just about managed it.

Only 4 months.

And was it definitely done. Not a every car on the lot is suddenly fully serviced when they buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Today being freezing cold and snowing would be the day I blew one of my main beam bulbs. I thought my fingers were going to fall off when I was changing it.

They really could have given a bit more space to get your hands in to change the bulb. My hands are the size of a little girls and I just about managed it.
    You're really lucky you didn't have to take a bumper off to replace a bulb, like many cars now have such a "feature". ;)

=======================

Old story:
    joujoujou wrote: »
    Old stereo out (KDC-W4044UG).

New stereo in (DEH-X3500UI).

[...]

Story continues...

(googling...)

Found out that American version has IR remote control given by Pioneer. So bought one (ebay).

Got it and tried - no luck. But remote is new, so maybe something else?

(more googling...)

Well, yes.

Although both EU and US stereos are named exactly the same, they're not the same - US version has IR sensor, while EU version has a resistor instead.

So, finally bought US faceplate (ebay again), got it delivered today.

Plug and play, remote works! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

joujoujou wrote: »
    You're really lucky you didn't have to take a bumper off to replace a bulb, like many cars now have such a "feature". ;)

I would like to get engineers who design stuff like that and put them all in a big sack and beat them all with sticks.

It was hard enough to change the avensis bulb as originally the light units kept melting so they redesigned them in such a way that there is very little room to get your hand in. Took 25 mins to change the bulb.

And was it definitely done. Not a every car on the lot is suddenly fully serviced when they buy it

It had an oil change 3 months before I bought it, its stamped in the book. It also allegedly had another one done when I bought it. The oil is certainly fresh looking.

It's gone in now for diagnosis, they gave me an E60 530D.

So came home the other night to work on the saab some more, and this greeted me

66j0gh.jpg

Que lots of swearing and shivering!

Onto business

I had stopped at the o2 sensors, after some helpful advice from another boardsie i disconnected them at the bracket they were mounted on at the back on the engine simply pop them out and job done

27ybg5x.jpg

and label them too so you remember ;)

Once the sensors are free you have a bit of space to move the exhaust about, i took this under the car just to try give an idea

2u46ads.jpg

After this you can focus on the underside of the car, undo the flywheel housing shield

317jmly.jpg

And here's what you should see

1z32otj.jpg

After this start undoing the sump! :D There's 18 bolts in total, if the sump hasn't been dropped these will come away moderately easily, like mine did :o

While your at it un do the hose in picture, screwdriver does the job nicely

aa91mg.jpg

However saab being saab don't make this easy, there's 2 bolts which are complete and utter pigs to get at let alone remove, this is the worst of the two

6quo2b.jpg

located right over the subframe and between the frame and the oil cooler on the other side this was the most difficult of them all, doable but time consuming, I managed to get a small ratchet in with a 13mm socket and took it out that way, so as it stands now the sump is off but it's wedged between the frame in the last picture and the flywheel, so with a little help from a few other boardsies we'er going to tackle that tomorrow night until it's sorted out and ready for friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I changed the dipped bulbs in my car today after getting home early from college due to lecturers being canceled :)

There was Neoflux bulbs in it I think thats was the name was on them I've never heard of that brand. They weren't great. So I got some osram nightbreaker plus there a good bulb I had them in the astra and there in one of the octavia well over a year and there still going strong.

2F765898-1D43-45C2-81D0-D0FD35689922_zpsagkzow9u.jpg

The old bulbs were the usual yellow and matched the parking lights.
    34234D40-9384-41B9-AC27-D4B839A98CF3_zps6ivepjzp.jpg

The pictures aren't great but in person I was suprised how much whiter the new bulbs are especially if compared to the parking lights. The real test will be tonight but I'm sure they will be a big improvement :) it's a really easy job to do on the focus it still took me a few minutes as it was my first time to change a dipped bulb on it but the next time I'll be a lot quicker.
    82097CDB-D05B-4725-AE77-B7D3135BB6CC_zpsacdrbdda.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I just put two of those Nightbreakers in my Civic, great light off them. Wouldn't be surprised if the bulbs I took out were the original ones from the factory.

Still, didn't expect to have to take the expansion tank out just to change a headlight...

Advertisement