Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So last night myself, dgt and ybfocus went for the last run at the car, we got the sump out and here's what greeted us

357o75z.jpg

2il07j9.jpg

The stuff was like tar

bc584.jpg

It wasn't pleasant to see so we took it inside for a better look

24noak4.jpg

Not good to say the least!

kc08j9.jpg

2nut4l0.jpg

And the engine

rtjkb4.jpg

2j64brn.jpg

And this is what happens when you use semi synth on a fully synth car!

Now the pickup strainer seen better days too by the looks of it

14mut92.jpg

To say this car was close to blowing the engine would be an insult, we guessed that given another 500 miles and it was a goner

So onto the cleaning! For this we used, kerosene, small wire brushes from the 1.50 shops, a tesco screwdriver, paintbrushes, and a pot scrubber :pac:

2urmqo8.jpg

353aywo.jpg

Mr yb's work ;)

2hxpz79.jpg

After much elbow grease we have this

34q07s9.jpg

More in the following post!

Fit the new pick up strainer and o-ring

ywIHuwcl.jpg

Fit the baffle on

o8VvVPVl.jpg
    And there you have a new sump! Kinda....

Provided you have sump sealer, I used a saab sump sealant because these sumps are known to bubble up other sealants so better safe than sorry!

So stick that on just like in the picture

3pGqrCjl.jpg

Now you'd think now all i have to do it put it back up and tightnen the bolts right? WRONG!

To get the clearance, disconnect the gear mounts

8oFF5idl.jpg

Then disconnect the engine mount, jack up the engine on the auxiliary belt just enough to get the clearance, drop in the sump with a bit of persuasion, and do the entire process in reverse, no pics of the engine mounts and so on because it was about 1 in the morning and we just wanted it done at this stage :pac: But seriously lads i owe you two big time, if it wasn't for you it's still be sitting out there on stands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

He told us there'd be girls there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Some serious job lads. The sump was spotless putting it back on I imagine it took a serious amount of cleaning to get it like that. I know who to call now if I ever need to drop my sump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

My ma broke the gearbox on the V50 today... still waiting to find out what's wrong exactly...

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    He told us there'd be girls there :(

Well i had to get yous over somehow! :pac:
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Some serious job lads. The sump was spotless putting it back on I imagine it took a serious amount of cleaning to get it like that. I know who to call now if I ever need to drop my sump :)

I'd never do it again, if i was to, i'd make sure i have the right work area for it, working out in all sorts of conditions late at night is not fun, but at least we saved the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Awesome work going into that car toastedpickles. Very impressive indeed!

Got the timing belt and water pump done today. That plus the new tyres last week have meant an expensive few weeks!

Dónal wrote: »
    Got the timing belt and water pump done today. That plus the new tyres last week have meant an expensive few weeks!

Ouch :)

At least she's right as rain for a long time now :)

NCT next month to hopefully tell me that!

• Advertisement

After all that scrubbing I feel like this pickles :D

RockApe.jpg

After all that scrubbing I feel like this pickles :D

RockApe.jpg

Hahahaha I'm the same, took it up to dublin and back on less than 20 euro, it was reading 9.6l/100km, no idea if that's good or bad, but it gets me to college on less than the price of a bus ticket so im happy :D

Hahahaha I'm the same, took it up to dublin and back on less than 20 euro, it was reading 9.6l/100km, no idea if that's good or bad, but it gets me to college on less than the price of a bus ticket so im happy :D

Off the top of my head I think it's about 30mpg..

Not a bother on it and I'd say she's being caned a bit so it'll be better in future :)
    Smiles per mile :)

Off the top of my head I think it's about 30mpg..

Not a bother on it and I'd say she's being caned a bit so it'll be better in future :)
    Smiles per mile :)

No no I've been very good with it :) bar that one little time on the m6 earlier on :pac:

No no I've been very good with it :) bar that one little time on the m6 earlier on :pac:

Speeds which the aviation division of saab would be proud of ;)

Speeds which the aviation division of saab would be proud of ;)

Speeds which would send the pc brigade here into overdrive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Installed GPS tracker in the E38 :) I'll always know where she is now. (the car, not my wife :D)

DSC_2405_zpsbd4d8158.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got the 740 back from the dealer's mechanic today, after being "repaired" of its burning oil and smoking issue. The repair? Change of oil and filter. :mad:

"See how it is in a week and let us know".

Dumbass here agrees and collects it this evening. Idling later on tonight outside work, plumes of white/blue smoke from the exhaust; give it some revs and the place is destroyed with the stink of burning oil and smoke. What a pathetic attempt to fob me off, a bloody insult.

Wasted 2-3 hours sitting in traffic both ways with a €60 odd petrol and diesel bill for something I could have told them wouldn't do a damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Got the 740 back from the dealer's mechanic today, after being "repaired" of its burning oil and smoking issue. The repair? Change of oil and filter. :mad:

Dumbass here agrees and collects it this evening. Idling later on tonight outside work, plumes of white/blue smoke from the exhaust; give it some revs and the place is destroyed with the stink of burning oil and smoke. What a pathetic attempt to fob me off, a bloody insult.

Wasted 2-3 hours sitting in traffic both ways with a €60 odd petrol and diesel bill for something I could have told them wouldn't do a damn thing.

Time to get tough with them methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

They'll be getting a call tomorrow for sure.

• Advertisement

Sickening, but not that surprising I guess, given what I think we all know the issue is. Hopefully it'll get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

That sucks, I'm assuming he attempted thicker oil? Not that it worked, but its not any kind of a repair, more of a band aid fix until it becomes more serious. Annoys the hell outta me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Dropped car to dent devil having breakfast should be ready soon dent free!

Plugs changed. Oh baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

The other night when my bulb died i replaced it one of those fancy super white light bulbs made by philips. That one was so much better than the normal bulb on the other side of the car I just put another one of the super duper bulbs in on the other side.

Nicer weather today than the last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The other night when my bulb died i replaced it one of those fancy super white light bulbs made by philips. That one was so much better than the normal bulb on the other side of the car I just put another one of the super duper bulbs in on the other side.

Nicer weather today than the last night.

Superduper price too I paid 40 notes for mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Today I cleaned my car and one of the Octavia's. But the main thing was I replaced the pollen in said octavia. My mother was complaining that the general air quality was crap and the windows were always fogging up. When I pulled it out last night it was filty and half a forest fell out with it of nuts of anything and everything. So I phoned around and got prices off 3 motor factors today the price varied 35, 20, 15 euro. Went for the 15 euro one as that happened to be the closest anyway I wasn't that concerned about brands as it's only a pollen filter and skoda parts were closed today.

The brand was purflux I never heard of them but there a French brand going by the box. The filter itself was more surdy than the original one had plastic rather than foam holding the filter element together. Some pics below the job itself was absolute piss compared to the focus you need no tools the cover just slides of and pull out the filter.

The old filter
    14BBE72F-BB4C-4B96-B61D-A677CE4C4199_zpsehdx9xzf.jpg

The mats after pulling out the filter
    1FD35BF0-B1C8-43B1-9FF9-40A54652E317_zpsx7uuxkgg.jpg

The new filter
    82F103B7-2F82-4FF1-8F70-F9DF3E9A6F16_zpsb7oyemog.jpg

60ABFC87-20C4-49A4-956B-C8B81DE48A01_zpssydzqi6s.jpg

The air coming into the car is really fresh now and the window shouldn't fog up. There's something about changing the pollen filter a simple cheap job but it always makes the car so much nicer to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Before on 19s:
    IMG_20140215_085406_zpsyue1iiow.jpg

Now:IMG_20140215_162819_zps3styt39s.jpg
    IMG_20140215_162830_zpsqbqsptwg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I don't mean to be rude or anything but the brakes looked tiny behind the 19"s and now minuscule behind the 20"s:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude or anything but the brakes looked tiny behind the 19"s and now minuscule behind the 20"s:p

They're the rears!

Although I should have thought of that before picking a random wheel to photograph!

Advertisement