Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I went outside one day and would lad had used two cans I was saving to seal in the bottom few inches of his small shed to stop it rusting. You couldn't make it up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Come again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can smell the oil from here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

so went to change the number plate bulb today and had to take a layer of soft stuff that makes the boot look nice and then unbolt a lump of metal before i could get at it.

If anyone knows where i should start looking for a shortcircuit let me know as the front light a back light and the number plate bulb all blowing in the space of a few days must be related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check the bulb holders. See if they look melted or corroded in any way.

The number plate bulb holders had a brown burnty colour on them which I noticed alright.
    You think it could be worth chancing changing the holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well that sounds like a brownout. It's caused by insufficient voltage. So replacing them is the way to go.

Sound Hal,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

dar83 wrote: »
    Some wheel 'restoration' was todays task...

-pic snip-

Is that plasti dip?

• Advertisement

Washed it for the first time in a month. Went for a spin, came back, attempted to start it again and nothing. Dead as dodo. Wouldn't even turn over. After some diagnoses I reckon its the alternator/alternator regulator. Ugh...

Washed it for the first time in a month. Went for a spin, came back, attempted to start it again and nothing. Dead as dodo. Wouldn't even turn over. After some diagnoses I reckon its the alternator/alternator regulator. Ugh...

Check for loose connections before anything else.

After that battery before alternator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

-- After some diagnoses I reckon its the alternator/alternator regulator. Ugh...

what diagnosis makes you think it the alternator?

cabb8ge wrote: »
    what diagnosis makes you think it the alternator?

Driving the car, and it slowly dying with a red battery symbol on the dash meaning it wasn't charging. More details here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150026

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

lol, I not consider seeing a light on dash as a diagnosis :D
    Or someone else suggesting to you it might be the regulator :D
    did you get alternator wet when washing?

lol, I not consider seeing a light on dash as a diagnosis :D

lol? That symbol means the battery is not charging + the other symptoms give me an educated guess that there's an alternator issue. Although it could be connectivity/grounding or battery.
    Or someone else suggesting to you it might be the regulator :D
    did you get alternator wet when washing?

Regulator is a common failure on these bosch alternators.

No I did not, well unless my bonnet has a massive hole I'm not aware of! I wasn't spraying the intake with water or anything ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

GvidoR wrote: »
    Is that plasti dip?

Yup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Driving the car, and it slowly dying with a red battery symbol on the dash meaning it wasn't charging. More details here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150026

Get the alternator tested. Costs nothing. How old is the battery
    lol? That symbol means the battery is not charging + the other symptoms give me an educated guess that there's an alternator issue. Although it could be connectivity/grounding or battery.

Regulator is a common failure on these bosch alternators.

No I did not, well unless my bonnet has a massive hole I'm not aware of! I wasn't spraying the intake with water or anything ridiculous.

Bit of water injection turboing? :eek:

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Get the alternator tested. Costs nothing. How old is the battery

Bit of water injection turboing? :eek:

The battery is 2 years old, less I reckon.

dar83 wrote: »
    Yup. :)

Nice. I ordered a can of black plasti dip on eBay a while ago, I should get it tomorrow and then I'll play around with it, so something will probably end up black on my car. :P

But that thing was €19.55 and that's the cheapest I could find. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

The battery is 2 years old, less I reckon.

In my experience if its the battery it dont throw warning lights. The alternator throws of lights like a disco.

Does it turn over much at all when it fails to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

:mad:

It's a real shame you are having problems with the car. Is it ok to drive while it's like that? Hopefully you get on better with the dealer this week. If it was me I'd print off as much as I could about the seal problem and give it to them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Alan try cleaning your battery terminals and poles up first. 800 grit sandpaper and copper grease them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

renofan wrote: »
    It's a real shame you are having problems with the car. Is it ok to drive while it's like that? Hopefully you get on better with the dealer this week. If it was me I'd print off as much as I could about the seal problem and give it to them too.

It drives perfectly well. But I suppose it would probably damage the cats if driven like this for prolonged periods. Still no word.

So here's what I got off the post man this morning... very excited :)

8XVmOkkl.jpg

With the plastidip makes sure the can is room temperature and not cold when spraying or it will clump. Also a rag with APC or rubbing alcohol handy to clean the nozzle every few sprays makes life a lot easier.

Besides that use thin coats to begin with. I'm sure dar will pick up on anything I missed :p

Well yea, the same as any paint. I have plenty of experience since I resprayed the entire car (Fiat Punto) black with just a few cans of matte black :)

This is the best pic I could find.

HxTPEuM.jpg

...and here's a crappy pic with it almost all done (the paint is still wet on the boot)

Oey0Bs0.jpg

Its much higher viscosity than paint.

So less runs but more clumping/tagging etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

From those pics, that's an excellent job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

With the plastidip makes sure the can is room temperature and not cold when spraying or it will clump. Also a rag with APC or rubbing alcohol handy to clean the nozzle every few sprays makes life a lot easier.

Besides that use thin coats to begin with. I'm sure dar will pick up on anything I missed :p

Just make sure whatever you're applying it to is clean!!! And I don't mean rinsed clean, I mean cleaner than surgical tools clean! :P Fairy washing up liquid bath/wash for any parts you plan on doing.

Based on the pics of the jobs you've already done, you won't have any issues with PlastiDip, it's easier to get a good finish on it than paint that's for sure!

I'd also advise to make sure the can is warmer than room temperature, I either put mine on the radiator for 30mins if I'm dojng work in the winter, or else sit them in the sun (through a window) for 30mins if I'm doing stuff in the summer. Also make sure to shake it for the full minute they advise and keep the can upright as you're spraying, move the item being sprayed to cover different angles with different coats, don't move the can sideways/upside down etc... as ths spray nozzle won't like that one bit and you'll end up with dots rather than a mist.

I just use my finger to clear the nozzle after every few sprays, none of this fancy APC rag stuff. :pac:

Advertisement