Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

dgt wrote: »
    Theres a trade off between a high flow rate and boost developed. My 406 suits my long distance driving style and starts to develop boost about the 1200 mark and full boost by 2800, despite what some ignorant dopey high horse clueless f*cks think its a perfect long distance cruiser that can fly when needed. In the city its fairly crap but for most of my driving it suits perfect

Pent up much? :D

Let it out man... let it out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

dgt wrote: »
    Have ran my 406 on 28psi/2bar before with the merc turbo. Normally run it at 24psi

Its not about the boost but what it can flow. Assuming your van has a GT series turbo it has a light rotating mass so can spool up quickly and as a result will run out of its efficiency range at high rpms. A GT 15 producing 20psi of boost will feel fast but a GT28 producing the same boost will be far. More fun and be under a lot less stress.

Theres a trade off between a high flow rate and boost developed. My 406 suits my long distance driving style and starts to develop boost about the 1200 mark and full boost by 2800, despite what some ignorant dopey high horse clueless f*cks think its a perfect long distance cruiser that can fly when needed. In the city its fairly crap but for most of my driving it suits perfect

Youd be better off trying to fit a GT2259v and getting a higher flow rate rather than overworking the smaller turbo. Hiking it a small bit is no harm but try not to go over 24psi (those GT turbos love to snap their shafts)

A more efficient cooler is a huge help. Or if that isn't possible, water injection.

I'm rambling by now.... :p

Afaik its a garret 762785 fixed vane

Could ya imagine needing water injection in a van that mostly pops around town

My next step is check the egr to see is it stuck open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just to add some more reference numbers to the diesel boost thing - our Shogun runs at about 1.3bar under full load. Was spiking to about 1.45bar when the intercooler was missing and triggering engine faults (inlet temp too high I'm guessing) when it did spike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Petrol. Mitsubishi td04, 11.5psi ish max boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The 2.5 tdi in my van runs at 0.6 -0.8 bar(9-12psi) on the stock map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Just checked and the 530d runs at 1.3Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

YbFocus wrote: »
    Just checked and the 530d runs at 1.3Bar.

how do you even check that ?

Oh just online man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Oh just online man :)

and heres me thinking you were measuring it somehow !

and heres me thinking you were measuring it somehow !

Well you could with a gauge or with an app running off a bluetooth obd jobbie.
    Always wanted one of them actually :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Now i can put mine to good use! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There was one on bargain alerts for a long time, really cheap too. I don't know if the offer is still available.

There was one on bargain alerts for a long time, really cheap too. I don't know if the offer is still available.

I'll go take a look thanks man :)

Its the bluetooth job im using. Ebay. App and all its under 20 euro

Yeah, Bluetooth OBDII dongle and torque app will do it. Don't think the free version is very accurate but accurate enough. The less parameters you are pulling the more accurate it should be, data rate is pretty slow for accurate live stuff. (im using a slightly different setup for the craic)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KKV, I've moved your servicing posts to the "KKVs Rav4 project thread"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89093109#post89093109

Just experimental to see how a project thread would work, hope you don't mind.

Theres a clear line from fuel filter to high pressure pump. I checked and I was getting a steady stream of air through it. Renault mech sed it shouldn't be a problem as it would throw up a fuel rail pressure fault if it was. But that much air doesnt strike me as right. New filter and seal in. Old was quite black for a 18k mile filter. But I donno what a properly blocked one looks like or do they all go black fast.

Got dragged off the the gym straight after fitting and priming. No test.
    On a hunch after the gym I sed quick spin round the block. Started and died. No go. The clear line disappears into never never land. So I pulled the filter from the side of the van and shook it until air came up the line. And it started and went.

Power is still low down low but better pick up. Worth doing.

Egr next. Iv been slightly putting it off since its a horrible job due to access. But I really want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Installed a power inverter in the glovebox today, SO handy for long journeys. Only €20 from Deal Extreme as well :cool:

DSC_2464_zpsd940b73b.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    KKV, I've moved your servicing posts to the "KKVs Rav4 project thread"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89093109#post89093109

Just experimental to see how a project thread would work, hope you don't mind.

I was confused as hell there. Haha.

But no, I don't mind at all. More project threads would be great (though i still maintain mine is less a 'project' and more an 'idiots guide to...' :p

I was confused as hell there. Haha.

But no, I don't mind at all. More project threads would be great (though i still maintain mine is less a 'project' and more an 'idiots guide to...' :p

All have to start somewhere! Easier if there's a shed of your dad's tools or whatever but...
    I'd recommend losing the japanese car and getting something French/German/Italian if you really want to get handy - you'll have so many more opportunities ;-)

Haynes manuals used to be the way, although owners clubs websites are better for common stuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

^^^^^

Buy my 520, itll be cheap as theres plenty to do with it for the beginner to the intermediate and is easy enough to work on ;)

Well if ye guys can recommend a model of car that's French, German or Italian, and is an exact twin of the Rav4, then fire away! :D

I'm afraid I loves me Rav. :D And to be fair, so far it seems really, really easy. Which is ideal for me and my first car. I'm sure the next car I buy will be something Boards-influenced anyway, so plenty of opportunity to buy a 'fixer upper' and regret it for ages after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Well if ye guys can recommend a model of car that's French, German or Italian, and is an exact twin of the Rav4, then fire away! :D

I'm afraid I loves me Rav. :D And to be fair, so far it seems really, really easy. Which is ideal for me and my first car. I'm sure the next car I buy will be something Boards-influenced anyway, so plenty of opportunity to buy a 'fixer upper' and regret it for ages after :)

Don't so this. You'll end up buying a 12 litre BMW or a 1.9 VAG :pac:

Don't so this. You'll end up buying a 12 litre BMW or a 1.9 VAG :pac:

Or an alfa, seems to be all the rage nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

:pac:I thought Mx-5s were the new alfa?

davycc wrote: »

Meh, something like that anyways :pac: something is the new something :pac:

Was only joking kkv, prefer the Japanese petrol stuff myself, but was suggesting you would spend more time with tools by necessity rather than choice with a euro car ;-)

I had a honda crv and.I found the American sites to be very good, verging on obsessive in some cases and as with everything online some of it you'd take with a pinch off salt, but maybe there is a rav4 owners club with step by strp pics for common jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

davycc wrote: »
    There seems to e a habit of buying both and never getting them running anyway.

While I was testing after fuel filter I near **** myself when I got a boost reading of 43psi. Till I remembered I changed a testing setting in torque app.

So more boost tests. At 1500 im at 3psi. 1650 4-5psi. 1800 9-10 and 2000 14 psi.

Maybe egr robbing the low down boost?

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    While I was testing after fuel filter I near **** myself when I got a boost reading of 43psi. Till I remembered I changed a testing setting in torque app.

So more boost tests. At 1500 im at 3psi. 1650 4-5psi. 1800 9-10 and 2000 14 psi.

Maybe egr robbing the low down boost?

What car? I know in my case that my boost "target" is related to engine load - not just rpm. I might never catch sustained boost over 5psi unless there was a good hill.

Advertisement