Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    @ DGT, it means starter motor

Nice to know that was replaced, even if I have a few spares! Cheers for finding out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So two weekends ago during one brake pedal depress it went all the way to the floor and didn't stop the car. The depressions before and after were grand though so perhaps I cooked the brakes a bit. That was until Thursday of last week when I felt a poor bite with a bit of vibration in the steering. I took it for a spin Saturday, it was worse and I heard grinding of metal when applying the brakes. This is what I faced as the cause:

295246.jpg

295248.jpg

295249.jpg

Those were Mintex pads fitted along with ATE/BMW OEM discs on February 9th 2013 at 97.5k miles. The car has ~104k on it now. I did one track day in July 2013. The disc has some scoring but it'll be fine, not worth a skim and BMW state in TIS that M discs should not be skimmed.

Replaced with EBC Redstuff:

295247.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Nice pads. I'd prefer to have the calipers red though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv had all sorts. Brembo is good. Ebc is best. Unparalleled braking performance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

GvidoR wrote: »
    Nice pads. I'd prefer to have the calipers red though. :P

It's an M3, calipers are electroplated which IMO looks much better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

It'd look a bit gay spaying calipers on an m3 anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thats class- I initially thought it was one of those tacky illuminated badged

Ugh. Didnt know they existed, and didnt want to know either.

Sure I had to get (present from herself actually) the reversing camera after I got the RNS 510 head unit last year.

Might pick up one of these to make life easier on myself connecting up to the fuse box:
    add-a-circuit.jpg

YbFocus wrote: »
    It'd look a bit gay spaying calipers on an m3 anyway.

Oh yeah... don't treat and paint those rusty calipers, it's an M3!

Oh yeah... don't treat and paint those rusty calipers, it's an M3!

They're electroplated? So they won't rust.

On normal cars I don't get the idea of spraying calipers mad colours. I done some before on my passat to seal them, a silver that was as close to oem as standard.

No point in trying to highlight a tiny single piston caliper, lost in behind the cars wheels.

They're electroplated? So they won't rust.

On normal cars I don't get the idea of spraying calipers mad colours. I done some before on my passat to seal them, a silver that was as close to oem as standard.

No point in trying to highlight a tiny single piston caliper, lost in behind the cars wheels.

It's a personal taste kind of thing.

When you can barely see behind the wheel then there's not much point in doing it but when it shines through it looks nice.

I'm going for white alloys and yellow calipers on my car. :P

• Advertisement

A lot to be said for a sleeper car. No painted calipers here (any more), no stickers, all factory looking on the outside.

I'll get there fully someday.... All go, no show :cool:

At these insurance prices, I can't afford the 'go' :D

At these insurance prices, I can't afford the 'go' :D

Bodykits, stickers, gaudy wheels etc are goin to attract more visual attention than some bet up hape ;)

Body kits aren't really my thing. Maybe some subtle ones, but ones that really stick out are... what's the word I'm looking for...

Also I'm not really sure what you mean by 'gaudy'.

It's a personal taste kind of thing.

When you can barely see behind the wheel then there's not much point in doing it but when it shines through it looks nice.

I'm going for white alloys and yellow calipers on my car. :P

Oh absolutely, each to their own and all that.

A nice brembo 4-pot struggling for room behind a rim is gorgeous. A standard caliper painted just ain't my thing.

Edit: Gaudy = sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Haha. That post made my morning. Thanks. :)

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting something here.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting something here.

You're getting advice from people who have done this thing before. Its your decision to take it or leave it

Btw I used to modify Fiats. You can imagine the stick I used to get. Did that ever stop me? ;)

As did I gvidor :)

Had a fair few embarrassing cars, if that's your thing you do it man. Nobody said anything against you here in fairness.
    You will in a few years look back and say "Oh god why" things like my focus make me think that :o

From what I remember, the Focus wasn't that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From what I remember, the Focus wasn't that bad.

One day you'll look back and think it was :)

Maybe if I saw a pic of it again I could tell.

Maybe if I saw a pic of it again I could tell.

What's more embarrassing is that I used to think it was the ****! :o

95642.jpg

Honestly you'll regret it in a few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What's more embarrassing is that I used to think it was the ****! :o

95642.jpg

Honestly you'll regret it in a few years :)

Love the front light clusters w/o the yellow showing on the sides. Are they aftermarket do you remember ?

Love the front light clusters w/o the yellow showing on the sides. Are they aftermarket do you remember ?

That was a whole new after market headlight SG, not sure if you could get the clusters seperate or if they were even available separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,297 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

That was a whole new after market headlight SG, not sure if you could get the clusters seperate or if they were even available separately.

That's what I mean.

Wouldn't mind a set of those. Wonder if they can still be got.

Don't fancy having to split a set of chrome ford headlights in the oven to paint them black.

That's what I mean.

Wouldn't mind a set of those. Wonder if they can still be got.

Don't fancy having to split a set of chrome ford headlights in the oven to paint them black.

They had halo lights in them :o

Honestly man I wouldn't but I'll get you the site I got them off this evening when I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Prefer sleeper myself, but that pic of the focus looks fine to me, better than fine tbh. No tdi shtyle chicken wire and piss poor aftermarket DRLs. (personal pet hates, along with busted up misaligned body kits)

Prefer sleeper myself, but that pic of the focus looks fine to me, better than fine tbh. No tdi shtyle chicken wire and piss poor aftermarket DRLs. (personal pet hates, along with busted up misaligned body kits)

It was a tidy car and back in 2008 it was the thing but looking back now it's silly. All that money for nothing, 1.4 under the bonnet :o

• Advertisement

It was a tidy car and back in 2008 it was the thing but looking back now it's silly. All that money for nothing, 1.4 under the bonnet :o

Would you rather drive an all stock K11 Micra?
    When you modify it, you most likely maintain it better that most car owners too.

Also, about the 1.4 the tax and insurance prices are to blame. In eastern europe, 2.0L petrol car would be looked at the same as Daewoo Matiz here.

Advertisement