Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

bmstuff, would you be able to retrofit the dual zone climate control onto an E60?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Got raped for oil to top up the van. 38 euro for 2 litres of castrol fully synth.

I normally pay less than that for a gallon.

And put some new bosch wipers on heselfs hyundai coupe as the old were shouting at you when you used them.

Did she notice? Na not a iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Over the last couple of weekends I changed the clutch in the Levin. Huge thanks to DGT who helped me get the last bits together today and modify an engine mount :):)

I'll post up some pics of the job maybe tomorrow or the next day when I get a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The C5 right now :eek: Dash taken out to replace the broken heater flaps (which were clearly broken thankfully) but turns out the left side connector had broke / seized so I need a new dual zone heater housing which I'm trying to source today :( Same chap who I got the fuel lines and sensor off may have his intact.- fingers crossed!

IMG_20140224_153226.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Jay zus.
    Rather you than me! Can't be cheap if you were to pay to have it done.

• Advertisement

Jay zus.
    Well the mechanic is my OH uncle and we agreed a price before hand (about half the price of other quotes I got) and at the moment no extra labour is going into it while it sits there until I source the housing - pain in the hole but I'm just glad I didn't go with someone I didn't know (or a lad in Longford who does them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Jay zus.

I was literally saying "Jay zus" in my head aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

5D3_8613_zps8269275b.jpg

I was working in Mondello yesterday, shooting a rather special car for an upcoming feature on Speedhunters. I pretty much work from the boot of my car when shooting on location, so I'm constantly back and forth between the car changing lenses or grabbing other pieces of equipment or what not. I'm always careful to keep the boot closed and the lights off so as to not the drain the battery, but I'll leave it open when I'm setting up. I replaced the interior lights with low draw LEDs so it should be a problem.

After about an hour at turn one, I went to move the car to the next location but it was a little slow to crank and start. For the rest of the shoot, I made sure everything was closed and left the car running for a bit to charge the battery. Onto the last location, knocked the car off again, went about my business and wrapped things up pretty quickly. Once the feature car had been recovered, I packed everything and went to start the car and was it wouldn't turn over. Lights on dash would flicker out, a couple of clicking sounds but not a hope of starting. Found a kind man who charged the battery (from the correct terminals underneath the bonnet) and it started first time. Grand says I, it's an eight year old car so the battery is just at the end of its life. I was a bit curious though as it gave no issues beforehand, just randomly stopped working.

After hearing horror stories about spurious batteries, I drove straight to Bolands BMW in Waterford and picked up a new battery (€167 at a discounted rate) and booked the car in to have the battery initialised to the car (€45 after a little bit of haggling, otherwise the car will think the old battery is still in the car and the car will attempt to overcharge the new battery) It was pissing rain down here all yesterday evening and last night so only got to change the battery this morning. No issues swapping it over, but once the new battery was installed and I started the car, it displayed an airbag and restraint system warning light. Splendid. I couldn't clear it with my own OBD reader so figured I'd let BMW sort it this afternoon when they were initialising the new battery. The service manager said that the lights shouldn't have come on, but they'll turn them off and see if they re-occur.

After about half an hour, I spied one of the mechanics having a long chat with the service manager holding my keys. Never a good sign. The warning lights were switched off, but immediately re-appeared. Further investigation points to a high probability of the battery safety terminal being faulty. This would have caused a drain and the error code on the dash points to this as well. It's apparently very rare on the E90 but more common on the E60. End result is another €270 in parts for a new battery safety terminal and battery cable, and another €70 in labour to sort everything. Just waiting for the parts to arrive and they'll book me in. To their credit, they waived the €45 fee for initialising the battery and offered to re-install the old battery. As the car is eight years old, it's going to need one soon enough anyways so stuck with the new battery.

The guts of €530 (so far) for an unplanned expense. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Pyrotechnic battery terminal - never knew they existed. Nasty unexpected expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Not cool man, hope it's sorted soon

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    Well the mechanic is my OH uncle and we agreed a price before hand (about half the price of other quotes I got) and at the moment no extra labour is going into it while it sits there until I source the housing - pain in the hole but I'm just glad I didn't go with someone I didn't know (or a lad in Longford who does them).
    After about 20 calls to various breakers, I have sourced and paid for a heater housing in Louth from a 2006 C5 for €177 with shipping directly to the garage in D2. Such a pain but just delighted it will finally be sorted, more pics to follow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    and booked the car in to have the battery initialised to the car (€45 after a little bit of haggling, otherwise the car will think the old battery is still in the car and the car will attempt to overcharge the new battery) It was pissing rain down here all yesterday evening and last night so only got to change the battery this morning. No issues swapping it over, but once the new battery was installed and I started the car, it displayed an airbag and restraint system warning light. Splendid. I couldn't clear it with my own OBD reader so figured I'd let BMW sort it this afternoon when they were initialising the new battery. The service manager said that the lights shouldn't have come on, but they'll turn them off and see if they re-occur.

After about half an hour, I spied one of the mechanics having a long chat with the service manager holding my keys. Never a good sign. The warning lights were switched off, but immediately re-appeared. Further investigation points to a high probability of the battery safety terminal being faulty. This would have caused a drain and the error code on the dash points to this as well. It's apparently very rare on the E90 but more common on the E60. End result is another €270 in parts for a new battery safety terminal and battery cable, and another €70 in labour to sort everything. Just waiting for the parts to arrive and they'll book me in. To their credit, they waived the €45 fee for initialising the battery and offered to re-install the old battery. As the car is eight years old, it's going to need one soon enough anyways so stuck with the new battery.

The guts of €530 (so far) for an unplanned expense. Brilliant.

Crazy story

A few points:

- Your new battery did not need registration since you do not have an IBS sensor. BS from the service manager who does not have a clue. He realised it after the technician told him, hence why he did not charge you in the end.

- Your positive terminal was damaged in the swap process or was not reinstalled properly. What a coincidence it just became faulty right after the battery was changed.
    I fixed a few like this after customers changed the battery on their own but did not reconnect properly the positive terminal.

Give me a call next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

United are ****. Plan and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Surprise to hear the dealer did not test battery, they must be member on here :D

bmstuff wrote: »
    Crazy story

A few points:

- Your new battery did not need registration since you do not have an IBS sensor. BS from the service manager who does not have a clue. He realised it after the technician told him, hence why he did not charge you in the end.

- Your positive terminal was damaged in the swap process or was not reinstalled properly. What a coincidence it just became faulty right after the battery was changed.
    I fixed a few like this after customers changed the battery on their own but did not reconnect properly the positive terminal.

Give me a call next time ;)

I did think that I could have done something wrong but they checked everything and said it was fine. They told me that there could have been a dodgy connection inside the BST and when I swapped the batteries, that the connection broke altogether. This would have explained why the car suddenly started draining the battery with no warning lights or other signs beforehand.

From what I've read, the BST itself rarely goes but rather the battery cable itself which makes up the bulk of the parts cost. The dealers tend to change both as it's an overkill method of fixing the problem? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to electrics (as you already know :D)

I've not paid them / gone back to them yet BTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I did think that I could have done something wrong but they checked everything and said it was fine. They told me that there could have been a dodgy connection inside the BST and when I swapped the batteries, that the connection broke altogether. This would have explained why the car suddenly started draining the battery with no warning lights or other signs beforehand.

From what I've read, the BST itself rarely goes but rather the battery cable itself which makes up the bulk of the parts cost. The dealers tend to change both as it's an overkill method of fixing the problem? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to electrics (as you already know :D)

I've not paid them / gone back to them yet BTW...

A broken BST would not drain the battery though.

Ah ok so you changed the battery yourself. There you go :D
    And you do not have an IBS sensor built in the negative plug, so that could not be that either.
    So the new battery is in the car now right and everything is fine bar the airbag error?

bmstuff wrote: »
    A broken BST would not drain the battery though.

Ah ok so you changed the battery yourself. There you go :D
    And you do not have an IBS sensor built in the negative plug, so that could not be that either.
    So the new battery is in the car now right and everything is fine bar the airbag error?

New battery is in, airbag and seat belt warning light is on. They say the error is reading as a fault at the BST. Car is starting / running perfectly. What could I have done wrong in replacing the battery?

United are ****. Plan and simple.

Sorry this was suppose to be posted in soccer forum. That's what happens when on boards and watching match at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Sorry this was suppose to be posted in soccer forum. That's what happens when on boards and watching match at same time.

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

YbFocus wrote: »
    disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

Good response. I can't stop laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Air and cabin filter sorted.
    DSC_0005_zpskmk8sdo3.jpg
    DSC_0004_zpsgvirnx3w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

After earliers incident with the clutch, I am in need of something.... Fast!

Can't do much in the evening but alas it's the small bits.

Remember this?
    Image1137.jpg

Now I could eat out of this
    Image1178.jpg

Outside too
    Image1179.jpg

The XUD sump has 23 little studs. Every one of them was covered in sh*te. So I cleaned them all, one by one :) yes, I stabbed my hand with a screwdriver
    Image1180.jpg
    Anyone spot my spotless oil pump, no? Thought so....

Many, many minutes later....
    Image1181.jpg

Now for some fixadent
    Image1182.jpg

And you stay there
    Image1184.jpg

Oh yuck
    Image1183.jpg

Very yuck
    Image1186.jpg

Better!
    Image1187.jpg

Plenty more to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Grrr, I should really keep a toolbox in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ahh clean sumpy goodness :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

GvidoR wrote: »
    Grrr, I should really keep a toolbox in the car.

Don't worry even if you do you'll never have the right tool

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ahh clean sumpy goodness :pac:

I've got sump envy...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

dgt wrote: »
    Image1187.jpg

Plenty more to do....

I love the way tolerances in interference engines are so tight that there are gaps milled in the cylinder to clear the valves.

Amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I've got sump envy...

Do iiiiiit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do iiiiiit :pac:

Its an engine out job on he e46 as far as I know. I dread a sump gasket failure!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

325 is back on the road since January.

The central locking had been getting progressively more dodgy and eventually stopped working. This is a common issue with relays failing in the GM5 module

The GM5 is behind the glovebox, bit of a pain to get out, especially if you cant open the passenger door :pac:

waom7.jpg

This is the relay that unlocks the doors, I cut the top off it, sprayed in some WD40 and cleaned off the contacts. It now works perfectly every time and I have ordered the relays. If it fails again Ill swap it out.

f0b0h.jpg

And all taped up, working perfect since about 8 weeks on

56pws.jpg

Then it got a service, got to use my new tool set!

we30y.jpg

6 NGK Platinum plugs
    6.5 litres of delicious 5w30 fully synthetic
    Oil Filter
    Air Filter

Then it got 4 new tyres

2x Matador MP46 hectorra 2 225/40/18 on the front, cant reccomend these highly enough, every bit as good as the Continental Contact Sports they replaced and amazing value

2x Kumho KU39 255/35/18 on the rear, finding these great too, I know Dave and a few others recommend them

Managed to get the tyres delivered and fitted for less than €500, so delighted with that bargain hunting..

Plan for the weekend is it to find the source of my lean running. I'm pretty certain its a vacuum leak, as I can hear a lovely induction noise under acceleration even though it has the stock airbox :pac: That should reclaim my missing ponies..

Going to pickup two cans of plastidip to touch up the alloys too as they were scuffed when changing the tyres.. All challengemaster's hard work out the window!

Have also ordered a clutch kit as the current one is on the way out and I cant take off with "enthusiasm" anymore.

I'm considering a change in the next few months, very much on the fence at the minute.. Might pick up an M Sport rear bumper and LED lights if I'm holding onto it

Advertisement