Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The LED rear lights are class. Really update the car. Whenever I see an e46 without them it just makes it look so old.

The car is looking sweet conzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

conzy wrote: »
    ...if I'm holding onto it

You are :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Then it got a service, got to use my new tool set!

Got one while on discount aswell, havent had to stray from it at all working on the e38 , the torx sockets are the only ones that fit semi stripped intake manifold bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

325 is back on the road since January.

The central locking had been getting progressively more dodgy and eventually stopped working. This is a common issue with relays failing in the GM5 module

The GM5 is behind the glovebox, bit of a pain to get out, especially if you cant open the passenger door :pac:

This is the relay that unlocks the doors, I cut the top off it, sprayed in some WD40 and cleaned off the contacts. It now works perfectly every time and I have ordered the relays. If it fails again Ill swap it out.

And all taped up, working perfect since about 8 weeks on

Then it got a service, got to use my new tool set!

6 NGK Platinum plugs
    6.5 litres of delicious 5w30 fully synthetic
    Oil Filter
    Air Filter

Then it got 4 new tyres

2x Matador MP46 hectorra 2 225/40/18 on the front, cant reccomend these highly enough, every bit as good as the Continental Contact Sports they replaced and amazing value

2x Kumho KU39 255/35/18 on the rear, finding these great too, I know Dave and a few others recommend them

Managed to get the tyres delivered and fitted for less than €500, so delighted with that bargain hunting..

Plan for the weekend is it to find the source of my lean running. I'm pretty certain its a vacuum leak, as I can hear a lovely induction noise under acceleration even though it has the stock airbox :pac: That should reclaim my missing ponies..

Going to pickup two cans of plastidip to touch up the alloys too as they were scuffed when changing the tyres.. All challengemaster's hard work out the window!

Have also ordered a clutch kit as the current one is on the way out and I cant take off with "enthusiasm" anymore.

I'm considering a change in the next few months, very much on the fence at the minute.. Might pick up an M Sport rear bumper and LED lights if I'm holding onto it

Can you explain what you mean by getting more dodgy? I've noticed that mine lately doesn't unlock from as far a distance as before and now i'm worried it might be this!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

BillJ wrote: »
    Can you explain what you mean by getting more dodgy? I've noticed that mine lately doesn't unlock from as far a distance as before and now i'm worried it might be this!

I'd be pretty certain that's a totally unrelated issue.

There was nothing wrong with my key fob because I could lock the car, and I could see the internal lighting come on when I pressed unlock. My central locking also failed to unlock the doors using the button in the center console, this ruled out the fob.

I'd say you just need a battery!

• Advertisement

You need to quote the entire post :o Much scroll, sore thumb. wow.

Since I encountered the same dodgyness when I borrowed the car last year he means dodgy as in sometimes the central locking would open the doors, sometimes it wouldn't open any of them. Nothing like pressing the button a few times and having it not do anything to annoy you, especially if you've passengers who'll have to climb over the drivers seat into the passenger or rear because the locks don't come up.

Sounds like you need a new battery for the fob, I've noticed the same thing over the last year on my own car - I nearly need to be at the window before it unlocks. Those rechargeable batteries are only good for a few years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Another trip to the stealers today, to rectify the airbag & restraint system warning light after a battery change earlier in the week. The battery safety terminal turned out to be fine, but the the positive battery lead needed to be replaced. €125 for the lead plus another €175 in labour and coding which brought the total to €300, not including the price of the battery (€170) from earlier in the week.

Needless to say, it's going to be a quiet weekend - or seven - in for me.

Pictures removed from quote apologies!

Thats grand so was hoping it was only a battery, that GM5 module problem looks a pain

Pictures removed from quote apologies!

Thats grand so was hoping it was only a battery, that GM5 module problem looks a pain

Battery will be a pain too. They aren't meant to be replaced, so you actually need to separate the key fob with a knife or some other implement. Then you need to desolder the old battery and solder in the new one before gluing the keyfob back together.

Battery will be a pain too. They aren't meant to be replaced, so you actually need to separate the key fob with a knife or some other implement. Then you need to desolder the old battery and solder in the new one before gluing the keyfob back together.

Thats a balls! I've a spare key with a flat battery I could try it on. Not a major problem for now once it doesn't get any worse though.

I recall now that i've seen some guides on battery replacement for those keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ShanE90

De-tar
    Power wash
    Hand wash with CG citrus wash
    Towel dry....

Then in out of the rain and up on the lift to replace a foggy front fog light.

Removed wheels to remove tar and other gunk not reachable from the outside...replaced wheels and dressed tyres.

Clayed the paintwork...and machine polished the drivers door with menzerna heavy cut that was scratched from my four legged friends jumping up to look in!

Applied Chemical Guys Blacklight with DA to full body

Followed by Chemical Guys Black wax...and here she is...

125B5847-2C9D-4E8E-9004-3687E2F247BD_zpsnjjnyffu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I've never seen you do a write up but i liked it!

Last night I learned how to alfa, changed the brakes on one, and helped with removing a good part of the front end, headlights, bumper, grille, slam panel, airbox. coolant hoses and a radiator, after doing all this, my sump drop would have been a pleasing thing to do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Did you ever get to the bottom of that misfire OSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

My handbrake has been slowly becoming less and less effective, to the point where the car could be pushed with one hand while handbrake was applied.

So today I opened up the drums and manually adjusted the stupid non-adjusting handbrake self adjusters. While there I cleaned the bearings and packed them with holts blue goodness.

Handbrake now working a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Basic rad flush in the carina
    She had been overheating a little, now runs fine - on a 350 mile round trip to pick up my new datsun..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What datsun did you get, my dad had a 120y in the 80s. I think they've all rusted to bits now.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What datsun did you get, my dad had a 120y in the 80s. I think they've all rusted to bits now.

Started off life as a cherry but as it has been modified along the way, I think dr frank is the best name!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Started off life as a cherry but as it has been modified along the way, I think dr frank is the best name!

Get a picture up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Some doctor to be driving that hai :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

OSI wrote: »
    So first up, open her up:

2014-03-01%2013.45.04.jpg

Ha, I notice your missing the top half of the air intake same as myself,

Also do you still have all 4 rubber grommets that keep the engine cover on,
    I have 3 of them but 2 are damaged/worn to the point of being useless so I only have 1 functioning:(
    I've heard its common enough for them to need changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Changed the spark plug boots, finishing my rebuild , started her flawlessly for the first time and went for a refuel and wash to celebrate, next up two rear tyres and an nct .

86NdeE.jpg

4WyNFw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I like the V8 7 :)
    I see many posts from you and the work you did on car, well done, good to get one like that and give attention it deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I discovered my van will do 110. And new 1.5 quashqai's dont compare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah every time I open up the bonnet something else seems to have fallen off. Have 2 grommets but one is in bits and useless. I've seen prices i
    Of anywhere from €5-50 for a new set.

I've seen some high prices for them, in some cases it would be cheaper to just buy a new engine cover which comes with grommets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Here's what I started with
    o2uVtxVl.jpg

Exhaust tip (not putting that back on) and window wiper
    cwol83Ml.jpg

Heating up plasti dip in warm water
    0lEE6bCl.jpg

Masked and cleaned
    ibLkeZCl.jpg

Finished result
    YaSOCjNl.jpg

Just because
    EA9bSSel.jpg

I love matte black, I'm currently doing the same to the datsun, panel by panel.

I assume you're doing the whole car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I like that idea of the doing the whole car myself !

when its finished are you going to change it on the log book?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I love matte black, I'm currently doing the same to the datsun, panel by panel.

I assume you're doing the whole car?

I like matte black too. I painted the Fiat Punto that I had matte black from top to bottom, but that was with regular spray paint, not plasti dip. There's 500 (or maybe 400) ml cans in a petrol station for only €4.50... Seems really cheap to me. :P The plasti dip was €19.55 and I had to get that off eBay.

Painting the whole car? Not quite what I had in mind, but the time will tell what happens to it.

I'm not a fan of colts at all if I'm honest, but I can admire the time and effort you put into yours gvidor.
    I do think it would look better all in black. But hey, I like a hella lot of hella weird stuff :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'm not a fan of colts at all if I'm honest, but I can admire the time and effort you put into yours gvidor.
    I do think it would look better all in black. But hey, I like a hella lot of hella weird stuff :P

This is very true :pac:

Now lets never speak of it again

Advertisement