Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Was checking the brakes earlier and had a quick look insider the wheel arch liner to debunk the myth that all E65/66 models came with a deactivated Webasto heater installed.

wheel1_zps7c7f0149.jpg

wheel2_zps5aaec25d.jpg

Damnit!

What it looks like when specified:

imag1110.jpg

What are they

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

They heat the coolant in the engine when the engine if off, by burning a small amount of fuel. This gets the engine up to temperature on a cold morning whilst you eat your breakfast and heats the cabin at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

They heat the coolant in the engine when the engine if off, by burning a small amount of fuel. This gets the engine up to temperature on a cold morning whilst you eat your breakfast and heats the cabin at the same time.

Can it be retrofitted? Would be cool to have. Crazy situation on the key btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

:eek::eek::eek: You could buy a car for that!
    GvidoR wrote: »
    You could even buy 2 cars for that. :P

You guys need to start aiming higher! :eek: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

dar83 wrote: »

Buy a cheap car, fix it up real well and it'll be much better than a more expensive car with no love gone into it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Buy a cheap car, fix it up real well and it'll be much better than a more expensive car with no love gone into it. ;)
    Reminds me of a story i heard last week.

Guy came into the wrapping shop looking to get his FORD FOCUS wrapped entirely in CHROME! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And no, a person with an RS or ST would know better, she was a standard 1.6!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

renofan wrote: »
    Can it be retrofitted? Would be cool to have. Crazy situation on the key btw.

Looks like its doable, not sure if I could be arsed though, a lot of hassle for a few weeks of freezing weather. I'm beside the sea so it doesn't drop below freezing much at all.

Might have a solution to the key already thanks to MM. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I've aimed as high as i could :(

Nothing wrong with that at all dude. But 2 cars for €500 is taking the biscuit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Nothing wrong with that at all dude. But 2 cars for €500 is taking the biscuit. :)

Ah yeah, i know, but you know what i was at, I got mine for 800 sure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Ah yeah, i know, but you know what i was at, I got mine for 800 sure ;)

I got mine for €750 :P (the carina)
    Hell I bought my e36 for €500

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a story i heard last week.

Guy came into the wrapping shop looking to get his FORD FOCUS wrapped entirely in CHROME! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

And no, a person with an RS or ST would know better, she was a standard 1.6!

Any car wrapped in chrome is a no no.

I paid €180 for a 1998 Fiat Punto.

I paid €180 for a 1998 Fiat Punto.

I didn't say it wasn't possible... I just personally think it's a waste of time. But each to their own. :)

Out of curiosity, how much did you put into that Punto to make it not a complete shed?

I didn't say it wasn't possible... I just personally think it's a waste of time. But each to their own. :)

Out of curiosity, how much did you put into that Punto to make it not a complete shed?

Well, I bought it for practice purposes, not as a daily driver. However it did not require much work to pass the NCT. I stripped it out almost as much as possible, I took out the door handles on the rear doors and filled them with the body filler and painted the whole car matt black afterwards. Took out rear seats, carpets, almost every plastic bit so it was very light. Near the end I made it look more 'ratty'... I took out all lights, front and rear bumpers, and well yea... Like I said it was a practice car more than anything else... then I just sold it as a field car.

That was just a 'meh' kind of thing anyway, but I would like to get a modern classic car from 70's or 80's to work on and have that as a proper/serious project. I don't have that kind of money at the moment though, but one day... one day... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not today, but yesterday , flushed the coolant out with radflush to clear all the lime out of the parts I didnt get to , gave it a propper flush out with water then put new BMW coolant in , completing the full cooling system rebuild that I hopefully wont have to touch for quite some time.

ordered 2 rear tyres , 420 quid :( , fitted the new bowden cable, greased and cleaned the bonnet locks and then discovered the buffers / springs that pop the bonnet up are knackered . 15 quid for 2 of them isnt bad though.

As soon as the tyres get fitted and the wheels get balanced I should be ready for NCT .

tasks left to do :

give the sump a good clean and change the sump gasket , new oil & filter.

change the transmission oil, filter and gasket .

fit all the interior bits I have left.

then a bit of tax and I can enjoy the end to my 15 month project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Finally got the C5 back with the heating control fully functioning at the cost of €400 labour / €120 upgraded heater flaps / €180 heater box. Couldn't have it cold all the time with a baba in the back seat so was put off long enough.

Oh, me on the drive home today below...

warm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

advertsfox wrote: »
    Finally got the C5 back with the heating control fully functioning at the cost of €400 labour / €120 upgraded heater flaps / €180 heater box. Couldn't have it cold all the time with a baba in the back seat so was put off long enough.

Oh, me on the drive home today below...

warm.gif

After seeing that photo I can't help but wonder how many gubbins you have left over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Paying money for cars? Pffffft! :pac:

Looks like I'll be taking the evening off and trying to get some shims ground down. What a nasty job! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fuel filter arrived from Micks Garage. Here's hoping the job goes alright on Sat.

CA8xOURl.jpg

YyxfJjLl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Fuel filter arrived from Micks Garage. Here's hoping the job goes alright on Sat.

Interested to see how this goes, it's a job i'm considering doing on my own car, doing a fuel filter on a 325 would be the same as a 318 yes?

BillJ wrote: »
    Interested to see how this goes, it's a job i'm considering doing on my own car, doing a fuel filter on a 325 would be the same as a 318 yes?

I would guess its the same yeah. Its supposed to be handy, maybe fiddly, but handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The garage that did my C5 posted some pics of the job in process - not for the faint hearted ;)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152005084606094.1073741853.314387756093&type=1

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I would guess its the same yeah. Its supposed to be handy, maybe fiddly, but handy enough.

Me and TouchingVirus did the fuel filter on his M3, its a handy job, in saying that we had access to a lift, I can imagine it being tricky lying on your back under the car

In other news, the car got a well deserved wash the weekend, polished the glass with AutoGlym Glass Polish and gave the bodywork a quick going over with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.

Always impressed with how well the Orient Blue comes up with even a small bit of TLC

IMG_20140304_173246.jpg

IMG_20140304_174311.jpg

IMG_20140304_174654.jpg

I might go at it with the HD Wax later, the give-a-fúck-ometer is down in the red at the minute though :D

Next cosmetic job is plastidip to tidy up the wheels

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

OSI wrote: »
    Set of pressed plates would look the dogs danglies on the 325 Conzy.

I have a set

fmwp1.jpg

and they were on my "to do list" they were in the boot and got all scratched :o

Going to order another set shortly, whats your reg? :pac:

conzy wrote: »
    Next cosmetic job is plastidip to tidy up the wheels

Nice! :)

I was bored...so ordered some plasti dip to de-chrome the strips on my car. If it looks decent I'll get some black grills too.

Plasti dip is great stuff, and a de-chroming is always the right thing to do. :P

Plasti dip is great stuff, and a de-chroming is always the right thing to do. :P

Did you use it on your wipers? Mine need doing...

• Advertisement

Did you use it on your wipers? Mine need doing...

I used it on the boot. There's pics on page 151.

On the wipers I used cheap matt black paint from a petrol station.

Advertisement