Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

GvidoR wrote: »
    Swearing at my car for having bolts in such awkward places.

I know that all too well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Swearing at my car for having bolts in such awkward places.

Or the ones that you need an allen key to open, when you don't have an allen key set...grr...:mad: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Or the ones that you need an allen key to open, when you don't have an allen key set...grr...:mad: :pac:

Or the ones which you think are an Allen key but after making bits of it for 20 mins you realise it's a torx :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

New Tyres , 275 is a lot wider than i thought ha.
    1947950_10152650539263776_391568410_n.jpg
    and a good wash.
    1959656_10152651121633776_1610161385_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

275 is quite wide. I think the hyundai coupe on 225/17 pozenzas is uncrashable

• Advertisement

I noticed a whirring sound in the front left of my '93 Corolla this week so, given it's that time of the year again, I rang for a cancellation on Thursday and got an appointment for the NCT today. Went in and it went through the motions:

53hJ2J.jpg

...and it passed every test. But it got an overall fail because one of the rear drop links were worn, so I replaced both of them this afternoon and have the retest on Thursday coming. Bit annoyed that the NCT didn't pick up on the whirring noise though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I changed the brake light bulb on my car and also tightened the altenator belt today as it started sqeaking last night and kept doing it today. And after I tightened it brought car for test drive and sqeaking stopped, so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Dropped the pushrod from the slave cylinder into the gearbox. Now the gearbox has to come back off. It was the last thing to connect after swapping the gearbox and now I'm back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Long time no chat folks :D

Got the hoover out gave her an almighty job inside!! Will get the outside sorted tomorrow, weather pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Booked NCT.

I want to do this too. :)

• Advertisement

Booked NCT.

What is it? I must be blind I don't see anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What is it? I must be blind I don't see anything different.

Be drivin with yer ambers on full time..... No flashes, treated as sides lad.

Designated DRL's are too mainstream, so this is the alternative, totes deck :D

dgt wrote: »
    Be drivin with yer ambers on full time..... No flashes,

Oh yea I see that now that you mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

I decided to do a service on my girlfriends Kia, since she told me she has not had it service since she's owned it! (over 2 years!!:eek:)
    YYQU9uQl.jpg

I got under the car and removed the sump protector
    uV1RJkMl.jpg

Located the Oil Drain plug and began draining the oil. (I noticed that the sump plug was very tight)
    uPTetdal.jpg

Old washer compared to new one. I had to back the old washer off the sump plug as it had distorted around the threads. p4BbqVxl.jpg

Plug reinstalled at correct torque
    6vykPRyl.jpg

Removing the oil filter took nearly 1 hour. It was located at the back of the engine, on the drivers side and was only slightly easier to reach from above. I was very close to giving up but eventually managed to get a few turns on it and get it off.
    aAkga0vl.jpg

The oil coming out of it was like thick crude oil. You can see some of the damage to the housing where i was struggling to remove it. I then installed the new filter hand tight only.
    I then added 4 liters of Castrol 5w30 Fully synthetic Magnatec oil (€35 from tesco)
    TgRvrnBl.jpg

The air filter was very easy to change and took less than 2min. p0tzYjYl.jpg

The cabin air filter was next
    BonR3ivl.jpg

And finally i changed out the noisy streaky wipers to new Bosch Aerotwin wiper that i bought on eBay for €30
    4vk8zdLl.jpg

Disposal of the old oil and filters cost an extra €5, and I added another liter of oil to fill the sump (costing €16 from maxol :mad:)
    Total cost of less than €100 for the service. The missus still thought it wasn't needed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Job well done. What is the correct torque, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Hand tight then one full nip.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

32.5ft/lbs was the consensus from kia-forums

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Rear brake light bulb and fitted my three months tax disc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

6 months tax yesterday, could have bought another turbo, dry service kit and oil for the price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

6 months tax yesterday, could have bought another turbo, dry service kit and oil for the price :(

I seen your BMW in the "post pic of car here thread" nice car.

And I honestly don't mean to offend you or sound disrespectful. But if your not happy paying high tax, why not sell it and buy a car that is in a lower tax band?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

job seeker wrote: »

And I honestly don't mean to offend you or sound disrespectful. But if your not happy paying high tax, why not sell it and buy a car that is in a lower tax band?

He enjoys the car I guess.

I pay the same on an 18 year old Honda because I like the car. I wouldn't be happy with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

job seeker wrote: »

Government will just move the goalposts anyway.

+ There is alot to be said for driving a car you really like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Changed the oil and filter on the MR2 change number 4 - no harm after mondello and needed doing anyway

while the car was up I wanted to check for rust behind the undertrays

Have to hand it toyota they have the underneath sealed up very well.

Unfortunately every second bolt snapped :( tried a screw extractor- no dice ...remembered I had a tap and die set unused so drilled them out and retapped. Just the front panel left to do.

lucky I peempted this and had stainless bolts on reserve

Out with the old and in with the new

20764960BC5E478586A2EFD5182D6F85-0000370971-0003516828-00800L-21989B33339747C78E3519AC01B9C541.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Today I got all this

4 NKG spark plugs
    An air filter
    Pollen filter
    Fuel filter,
    5l of saab oil
    Oil filter
    Two sump nuts :pac: they must have known mine fell out :P

and a set of balljoints :D

All for 100 moneys ;)

2h68uwl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That pollen filter looks very small or maybe it's just the way in looking at it.

Bpmull wrote: »
    That pollen filter looks very small or maybe it's just the way in looking at it.

Yeah i think it's how i have it held, it's fairly big actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Changed the wheels on my Saab 93 from 225/45/17 to 215/55/16. Sweet. Runs much smoother now.
    Also changed all internal lights to blue led. And front parker lights to white led, along with number plate bulbs to white led. Looks deadly.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Changed the wheels on my Saab 93 from 225/45/17 to 215/55/16. Sweet. Runs much smoother now.
    Also changed all internal lights to blue led. And front parker lights to white led, along with number plate bulbs to white led. Looks deadly.

I'm moving up to 225/45/17 soon, using the 16s as spares/winter tyres, how are they? And changing the lights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'm moving up to 225/45/17 soon, using the 16s as spares/winter tyres, how are they? And changing the lights :D

I'll be selling my 17's soon. They're 5 spoke.
    Lights are very nice. Very easy to change.

• Advertisement

MJ23 wrote: »
    I'll be selling my 17's soon. They're 5 spoke.
    Lights are very nice. Very easy to change.

They're the ones i have, caused a bit of a divide between them and the original ones on it now, where did you get them lights?

Advertisement