Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

is your speedo in miles or km?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

220 mph would be nice wouldn't it :p Speedo is km. Clock is miles but you can change it in the cars menu, I prefer viewing it in miles myself. Says 63k in it but that photo was taken last year, one of the few I had of the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

makes sense now
    I saw the speedo and said the numbers must be km but your ad says 70K miles and i didnt realise you can have the clock in km and the odometer in miles.
    best of luck with the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Oh adverts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Why selling so soon Rizzee??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

@Ardennes1944 just testing the water really, i'm more than happy to keep it. Just seeing if a decent cash offer comes in or something interesting to trade for. But i'm content with it at the minute, don't mind either way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

People who make offers w/o seeing the car are generally time wasters anyway.

Test the water by all means its full of single cell organisms though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Replaced steering rack, blaahhhhh whoooore of a job jaysus. ....

20140315_114537_zpsjlx9or0f.jpg

Changed front hub on drivers side for one I got from the breakers. Car drives great again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Fuel filter done at last. Going to test drive it now. Just got to watch out for the men in the bushes though :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hal1 wrote: »
    Fuel filter done at last. Going to test drive it now. Just got to watch out for the men in the bushes though :pac:.

I have a fuel filter sitting in my shed...really should get it in the car.

I adjusted my handbrake today, I know have a functioning handbrake! Great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just taking advantage of my day off and the fact the weather is playing ball :). Now where's my keys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just trying to tidy things up a bit :cool:

So, to whip the body loom and engine loom out, the dash, mount and heater all have to come out (no not that type of come out!!!)
    Image1202.jpg

Airbag cables all fully disconnected. Non seat airbags/roof bag type loom with decent ECU, I'll use that ;)
    Image1203.jpg

Engine loom next. As before, on the V6 it runs through the bulkhead. Not difficult to remove :)
    Image1207.jpg

Just remove the ABS module (yeah I just chopped it out :pac:)
    Image1208.jpg

And there's the whole loom out :)
    Image1209.jpg

Next day ill be the full body loom I hope! Shall be fun re-installing it :pac:

I need that loom and the body loom, I have a few to choose from so I'll be picking the best one for myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

My aim for Monday is get the van as far under 2 ton as I can.

Was at the scrappy and saw the vans 2180 without me in it. I need to cut the **** I keep in it. Dont use half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

corkgsxr wrote: »
    My aim for Monday is get the van as far under 2 ton as I can.

Was at the scrappy and saw the vans 2180 without me in it. I need to cut the **** I keep in it. Dont use half of it

Must be big enough, what model is it?

CianRyan wrote: »
    Must be big enough, what model is it?

Nope. Its a short and low trafic. Just so much spares and gear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My boss has one of those, you'd want a fair bit of gear in there alright.
    Don't forget to throw out all the old fag boxes and breakfast rolls. :p

I average about 300 miles a week stop start driving round the city. Too much weight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yesterday's NCT... :(

298989.jpg

And here's the reason:

298990.jpg

298991.jpg

Both replaced today, retest booked - saturday, 22 of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

So today I screwed the fuel pump in the carina up to the max, treated some rust, and put on the northern style plates that I have had sitting around for ages.

10005829_10152311407689528_869625956_o.jpg

I also treated a lot of surface rust on the underbody of the gmc c1500. Thankfully it wasn't chassis rust and hopefully by getting it early I stopped the spread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I have a fuel filter sitting in my shed...really should get it in the car.

I adjusted my handbrake today, I know have a functioning handbrake! Great success!

Were new shoes need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cabb8ge wrote: »
    Were new shoes need ?

Well they are needed, as the old ones are not in great shape. Just used the adjusters in the drum to get me out of a jam. I'll get them done eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

- Topped it up with some 10w40 motor oil.

- Stuck a pod filter on it.

- Tidied up the interior.

So I set fire to my car today
    Image1213.jpg

In order to remove the body loom
    Image1214.jpg

Bonus part I chopped up the crap alarm and it has a signal booster for the radio, yaaaay!!! :D

Not a bad interior eh :pac:
    Image1215.jpg

Moving to my silver 156, I decided to work some magic on the door
    Image1216.jpg
    Image1217.jpg

Make it into a 3 door
    Image1218.jpg

MAGIC
    Image1219.jpg

Assembling the XUD later this evening, at long last :cool:

Iv learned setting fire to cars doesnt really help.

never forget after driving round for 2 days thinking the exhaust was loose and banging we got around to go weld it (friends 98ish 316 beemer) jacked up the back left corner and car went up but wheel didn't. The big m3 wheels work hardened the top mount and broke it like a spider web.

so in I went welded one seam, put the fire out, cleared the smoke and went to the next seam till it went too much on fire. Got there in the end.

so back to today. Removed 7 big bags of rubbish and a toolbox. Much cleaner now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Removing the layers of mud from some off roading - prior to the rust removal
    1982124_10152311952369528_1775689204_n.jpg

1186919_10152311952314528_471341759_n.jpg

1939501_10152311952334528_1843836943_n.jpg

Oh and here's a picture of my "eureka" moment when I found an easier way to access the fuel pump in the carina. DGT you might remember how difficult it was to access this??

10003348_10152311952499528_761178971_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Jaysus, how long and wide is that bus CHP? Seems like it'd show its authority on the road :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Jaysus, how long and wide is that bus CHP? Seems like it'd show its authority on the road :P

It can move when it wants to ;)

dgt wrote: »

Make it into a 3 door
    MAGIC
    Assembling the XUD later this evening, at long last :cool:

Did you just swap it with another door?! If not, how did you fix it!? :confused:

I own a Toyota Rav4. Has anyone any idea where I'd need to go to to see this view of the clutch:

Is that looking up from the ground under the car? (I also have the squeaky clutch of doom).

I also have two separate annoying rattles from the dash that I need to sort out. One is (apparently) likely to do with the cowl on front of the car having a clip broken on it somewhere or such, so I'll take that off, I reckon, and take a mooch under it. It's like a 'chirp' (as its been described on another forum). A high-pitched squeak that only seems present when the front left (wheel?) of the car hits rough terrain.

The other i cant seem to figure out what it could be. It's like a dull, slow grinding kind of noise (poor description of what its like, i know) and seems intermittent.

I've had these before and they went away for about 6-8 weeks. Now they're back and annoying me again. They must die!

• Advertisement

Oh and here's a picture of my "eureka" moment when I found an easier way to access the fuel pump in the carina. DGT you might remember how difficult it was to access this??

Remember I didn't have my tools with me, just whatever I could work with at the time! Did you get the protective collar off?
    Did you just swap it with another door?! If not, how did you fix it!? :confused:

Yeah.... About that.... You sussed me :pac:

Got my head on too

XUD uses spacers to prevent damage to the aluminum
    Image1221.jpg

New bolts. Oil them very lightly
    Image1222.jpg

Lookin' good!
    Image1223.jpg

Tightening sequence is quite odd (but as it's French that's a given it'll be weird) it's non diagonal :confused:

Stage 1 was 15 lbs
    Stage 2 was 44.25 lbs
    Stage 3 was a horrible 220 degrees angle tightening. With a T55 bit I was afraid of it breaking.... Also hard to hold the engine compared to the 8140 engine

Finished :cool:
    Image1224.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be re-timing it (cam off, flywheel on and find TDC) cam seals, water pump, belt and assemble the rest if I have time :)

Advertisement