Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Cannot thank that post enough!!!!! Sweeeeeeeet:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Today I left my car at home so it has some time to work on its next plan to kill me and/or bankrupt me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

I thought that plan was already in motion :pac:

maceocc2 wrote: »
    I thought that plan was already in motion :pac:

Yea but waiting on new locking bolts for the tie rod ends and front CV boots and have a race cat to go on also.

So at least the motion won't be sideways into a ditch :p

Bolts and nuts all tightened but want to make sure I know exactly why it worked loose before driving it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bought this:

94598wk1214_01_f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

That jack makes life a little easier. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Lidls finest ;)

I got the handwash and axle stands :D I love that place sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Lidls finest ;)

I got the handwash and axle stands :D I love that place sometimes

Stanley hand wash?
    I've hat the 1l tub for about two years now. Only about half gone.
    Good stuff!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Stanley hand wash?
    I've hat the 1l tub for about two years now. Only about half gone.
    Good stuff!

I think thats it!

Changed the ball joints today

So the wonder of K frame cars, you can jack it from the front, you just need a rather large jack

Take off the wheel

30k7zf9.jpg

Undo the main screw, you need an 18mm socket and spanner for this, one to stop the nut from turning ;)

2v8lfcx.jpg

Undo the three screws below the wishbone and pry the balljoint out

2hgxqq0.jpg

And its out

20f72b8.jpg

You shouldn't be able to do this with your thumb, clear sign its buggered

35iy89f.jpg

Fitting is the same as removal, job done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Will be doing mine sunday hopefully. Tops and bottoms, have new arb bushes and droplinks to bang on too. A good days work in it. Your looks handy enough :(.

Interslice wrote: »
    Will be doing mine sunday hopefully. Tops and bottoms, have new arb bushes and droplinks to bang on too. A good days work in it. Your looks handy enough :(.

Yeah it was, same on the other side too, gotta do the drop links next and that's that taken care of

Yeah it was, same on the other side too, gotta do the drop links next and that's that taken care of

ti's handy being able to replace the aul balljoints for 20 wuid rather than a hundred odd for a wishbone.

What sprigloads that suspension? Looks a similar setup to my van.

ti's handy being able to replace the aul balljoints for 20 wuid rather than a hundred odd for a wishbone.

What sprigloads that suspension? Looks a similar setup to my van.

20 quid each for mine :o

As for the loads, no clue I'm afraid!

20 quid each for mine :o

As for the loads, no clue I'm afraid!

Mine were 20 each too. Got meyle HD. Suppposed to be daycent. Time will tell.

The springs up above the shock :o. Half asleep here.

Mine were 20 each too. Got meyle HD. Suppposed to be daycent. Time will tell.

The springs up above the shock :o

Still no clue :pac: I'm half asleep so maybe ask again tomorrow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Not too much done with the auld XUD

I spent daylight dismantling more useful bits off the old engine and cleaning them up.

A few bits I needed were behind the timing cover. To remove it, remove the crank pulley. Simple, remove the 22mm bolt holding it in :)
    Image1228.jpg

Helps to use one of these on it :cool:
    Image1229.jpg

Looks a bit bare at the moment
    Image1230.jpg

Hats off to Killian Manning for the much needed inlet mani! :D

Tensioner and tensioner housing/engine mount back on. Note the tensioner in the slack position (and my muddy paw prints on said tensioner :( )
    Image1231.jpg

Then dismantled a governor and made this up ;)
    Image1232.jpg

Piece by piece, day by day....

dgt wrote: »

Helps to use one of these on it :cool:
    Image1229.jpg

logo.jpg

Piece by piece, day by day....

That's a deadly yolk. Would love one of them for sunday. Have a hoor of a crank bolt to go at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What ya mean by k frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

corkgsxr wrote: »
    What ya mean by k frame.

It's the subframe type on those machines and others Cork. An old Google will show you :)

• Advertisement

Left it parked up and got a lift to work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Driving home in the rain yesterday, drivers side wiper stopped moving, would only travel an inch every third or so wipe.

Happily, on further inspection, the nut holding the wiper arm to the linkage had come loose. Took longer to get the spanner out than it did to fix the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

(re)tested.

Passed.

299712.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Servicing a taxi with my neighbour yesterday, (well he was servicing and I was annoying him for tips :D ) and we found this mess of wires. Traced it back, they're for the taxi metre, sign and printer. Owner said he paid €1000 to have them installed. :O

20140322_104129_zpsqap2joyn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I didn't take any pictures because my phone died:(

Today I painted the sills in the Primera with under seal. They had been painted with it before to cover up rust (surface rust before anyone asks due to stone chips etc). The previous coat was starting to come off showing the metal under it so I cleaned them up, took off the old under seal and painted on fresh. That should keep the NCT man happy and the car going for another while :)

Next it was the turn of the CLK which got a service which included oil+filter, air filter, fluids toped up, spark plug inspection (Looked perfect) , brake inspection, a quick look at the suspension (needs inner tie rod ends as it turns out), lights checked. It also needs 2 front tyres. As well as all this it had an idling issue that was resolved with a TB clean.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Replaced Pollen Filter, Air Filter, topped up Oil and Water, and replaced one of the boot struts. (Thought I ordered two! Duh!) And gave it a well needed wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Purposely bought Jurassic Park on DVD today for the car to hear it in Logic 7, T-rex sounds unreal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Purposely bought Jurassic Park on DVD today for the car to hear it in Logic 7, T-rex sounds unreal! :D

Try some Metallica next time! I'd say you'd be taken to never never land if you put Enter Sandman on full blast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Try some Metallica next time! I'd say you'd be taken to never never land if you put Enter Sandman on full blast :P

Now that, I'd love to see + hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Should put on something along the lines of Hucci, Apex Rise or Bro Safari instead. :P

Advertisement