Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

GvidoR wrote: »
    Should put on something along the lines of Hucci, Apex Rise or Bro Safari instead. :P

WAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Purposely bought Jurassic Park on DVD today for the car to hear it in Logic 7, T-rex sounds unreal! :D

Get Bullitt. Theme music will make you **** yourself!
    Like being in the middle of an orchestra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

WAT.

Trap music. Here's a nice example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What have you done to me, I have a pounding headache!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Reminds of a mate of mine who had only a scooter tape in his fiesta back in the day. You'd want to be fairly stuck for a lift.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Reminds of a mate of mine who had only a scooter tape in his fiesta back in the day. You'd want to be fairly stuck for a lift.

Not a fan of that genre. Trap is quite a lot different.

Also, I'm nice to my passengers... if they don't like my music, I change it to something else or turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Interslice wrote: »

I was big into scooter and happy hardcore and hard house in the 90's. Not anymore though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's not half bad actually! The intro is good but I was a bit let down when I didn't get a dubstep drop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

First under-bonnet DIY here. Cleaned the throttle body on the Laguna II with some carb cleaner. Running a lot smoother now (surprised how such a little thing makes a difference in fact). Was flummoxed to begin with as I couldn't find the big obvious black box shown in the Haynes manual and talked about on threads online. Didn't confirm this online but looking at my own engine bay it seems some 2005 and later have a different arrangement where the air filter is away from the throttle body (at right hand side of engine bay) and there's just a pipe beside the throttle body instead.

Was pleased at how quick and easy it was, undo two clasps either end of the pipe and unplug vacuum tube, pull out the large air intake pipe and just sprayed and wiped away.

Wiped a bit of dust/grime off a few other bits and pieces with kitchen towels - tempted now to do a proper clean of the engine bay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Zoney wrote: »
    Wiped a bit of dust/grime off a few other bits and pieces with kitchen towels - tempted now to do a proper clean of the engine bay!

Go for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

That's not half bad actually! The intro is good but I was a bit let down when I didn't get a dubstep drop :(

I was listening to this earlier in the car. Even with my crappy stock speakers, it sounds great when the bass comes in :cool:

http://www.silicondrum.com/music/mp3/Infected%20Dub.mp3

From here;

http://www.silicondrum.com/reggae.html

Tracks are all free from the original artist. :)

Would this be more to your taste, then? Serious drop in this one. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb2KPYaSVlw

Emmmm........not to be a pawty poopa but this ain't no music thread lads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

A lovely sunny day like this and no pics of shiny cars? I've to wander over to the detail forum now do I? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Emmmm........not to be a pawty poopa but this ain't no music thread lads :pac:

Awhh ok then. :(

Today I filled 'er up - 46.9L of petrol. I was tempted to push it but then I really didn't want to have to literally push it! The tank is 54L. :P

Making me look bad, I put only 13L of petrol into my car today. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I had a sneaky look at my dashcam footage of when my car was in the BMW dealer garage for 30 minutes, just curious what it looked like. Lo and behold, an F10 5 series parked in one of the bays with it's engine completely out of the car. Another poor sod and timing chain failure methinks. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

First viewer of my Grande P came up today, they loved it, deal is in place for Tuesday morning to get $$$$ :( Over to bangernomics with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

On Sat I did this to my car

2014-03-22-1548_zps994a4da2.jpg

To change this

2014-03-22-1545_zps51bacdbe.jpg

The light stalk had gone faulty, couldn't flash the headlights plus the dims were, well, a bit dim. New one works a treat but it never entered my head to connect the airbag before I turned on the ignition to see if the new (breaker part) worked before I put it all back together so now I have the airbag light on the dash! A trip to George Dalton is in the pipeline later this week to sort that out.

Also the steering was a nice bit off centre since I got the car so put it back on different splines so now have a perfectly straight steering wheel when going in a straight line. Took me three tries to get it right, one of my pet hates!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

what manual have you printed out on the passenger seat? I need to swap the clock spring in my a6, but i'm somewhat afraid of the airbag

• Advertisement

Its a Haynes Manual. First thing I get when I get a new car! I disconnected the battery a good half hour before I did anything on the car and then followed the instructions in the manual. It wasn't that hard to do tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

renofan wrote: »
    Also the steering was a nice bit off centre since I got the car so put it back on different splines so now have a perfectly straight steering wheel when going in a straight line. Took me three tries to get it right, one of my pet hates!

Isn't it a bit risky just realigning the steering wheel? I thought an off centre wheel indicates an alignment/track rod issue, and just resetting the wheel is not dealing with the actual problem. Open to correction of course.

The steering wheel was off sometime in the past and going by the past owner (my Uncle) he wasn't too bothered by it being off centre! The car has been laser aligned and nct'd a few weeks ago so I knew everything was ok on that front.

But your correct, I wouldn't have done it only I knew the alignment and trackrods etc were ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Changed the oil and oil filter in my Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6 petrol yesterday after 6k miles (as I have always done). The oil was fairly black and dirty and I can't comprehend that service intervals that manufacturers are specifying for more modern diesels if a clean burning petrol can blacken oil in 6k miles! 12 and 15k service intervals seems madness to me. I'll be trading up to a modern diesel shortly and I think I'll be changing the oil and filter every 5k miles from now on!

Black oil doesn't mean that it's dirty, it's just oxidation of the oil. It'll go like that a few days after being put into the engine.

The reason for an oil change isn't based on the colour of the oil but due to the fact that oil's lubrication abilities degrade with use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

Black oil doesn't mean that it's dirty, it's just oxidation of the oil. It'll go like that a few days after being put into the engine.---.

In petrol engine oil not go black for thousands and thousands of miles.

cabb8ge wrote: »
    In petrol engine oil not go black for thousands and thousands of miles.

I've seen it go black in cars after a few weeks which would be a few hundred miles. Like I said, it's just oxidation i.e. the effect the heat of the engine has on the colour, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I've seen it go black in cars after a few weeks which would be a few hundred miles. Like I said, it's just oxidation i.e. the effect the heat of the engine has on the colour, nothing else.

If that was the case would it not go black in all petrol engines, heat is common factor? The oil on my old E34 was gold after 6000miles.

Was a bit of a shocker when I got my first diesel, the oil was black before it receded the sump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Depends on the car. The avensis is still new looking at 5000 miles when it is changed. The old lads petrol 1.4 vw is dark when changed and the mothers diesel is black after you start the car when you change the oil.

I wouldnt worry about it to be honest. As time goes on and technology improves petrol cars seem to have cleaner and cleaner oil between services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

In my experience a petrol engine that is serviced regularly with the correct oil will have oil that is honey-coloured to golden brown for the first 3000 miles. After that it starts to get dark. Diesels are nearly always totally black within 200 miles.

If the oil in a petrol goes black quickly the services have probably been neglected a bit or the wrong oil used. It goes black quickly due to the cleaners in the oil dissolving deposits in the engine. If this is happening doing 2 changes very close together (1000-2000 miles) will help clean it up :)

Advertisement