Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

I've seen it go black in cars after a few weeks which would be a few hundred miles. Like I said, it's just oxidation i.e. the effect the heat of the engine has on the colour, nothing else.

Oxidation must only happen such as you describe on very few petrol cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Black oil doesn't mean that it's dirty, it's just oxidation of the oil. It'll go like that a few days after being put into the engine.

The reason for an oil change isn't based on the colour of the oil but due to the fact that oil's lubrication abilities degrade with use.

He's on about a petrol engine. Any petrol we have ourselves goes a brownish colour and stays that way until the next change. in other terms it shouldn't turn black that fast.

Diesels go black quickly due to diesel contamination.

Sounds to me like a carbon build-up and is turning it black too soon or poor maintenance from the previous owner/s (not changing on time leaving on the long finger)
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    In my experience a petrol engine that is serviced regularly with the correct oil will have oil that is honey-coloured to golden brown for the first 3000 miles. After that it starts to get dark. Diesels are nearly always totally black within 200 miles.

It goes black within a few minutes as I found out when my hp line blew after an oil change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Replaced the rear discs and a broken rear spring on the Croma. Going to be swapping out the crap Fiat OS drive shafts for Vectra C drive shafts on my next day off. Will also be replacing the thermostat and cleaning the EGR that I didn't get around to today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Up nice and early to give the Punto a final wash and hoover for the new owner who's taking it this afternoon. Then, if all goes to plan, i'll be looking at a Bora TDI 01 and there's 2 MkIV 1.4 Golfs and a 1.3 Colt too if I don't go for the diesel. Just want a runaround below 1500 with half decent MPG to do me for the Summer. Will hopefully have something this evening anyway fingers crossed. Keep yas updated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

rizzee wrote: »
    Up nice and early to give the Punto a final wash and hoover for the new owner who's taking it this afternoon. Then, if all goes to plan, i'll be looking at a Bora TDI 01 and there's 2 MkIV 1.4 Golfs and a 1.3 Colt too if I don't go for the diesel. Just want a runaround below 1500 with half decent MPG to do me for the Summer. Will hopefully have something this evening anyway fingers crossed. Keep yas updated

Best of luck Rizzee, you sorry to see her go?

I must say Puntos weren't my thing at all but yours really changed that opinion :)

• Advertisement

Thanks man! :)

I'm going to regret it big time, unfortunately the financial situation isn't great at the moment, joys of being a student! Can always get one again in the future :D

rizzee wrote: »
    Thanks man! :)

I'm going to regret it big time, unfortunately the financial situation isn't great at the moment, joys of being a student! Can always get one again in the future :D

I had a dirty old mk3 golf with a hole in the floor while I was in college so I know all to well :)
    63bhp of diesel non-turbo goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Two new Firestone tyres on front of car. 215/55/16. Sweet as a nut. Car is much smoother and the grip is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Today I went back to get the NCT disc for my recently acquired 01 Primera hatchback banger (€750) following a visual retest. NCT'd for 13 months now - well pleased. I bought this off my Brother who's had it for the last 5/6 years. I like that I know who has owned it and what work has been carried out (a few hundred €'s in the last year).

_20140311_171226.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Wife's car failed the nct on driverside dip beam alignment. While having it re-aligned it became obvious that the problem was a loose reflector inside the headlamp unit.

Decided to pull out the whole unit to see if there was a clip broken, or some other easy fix. This is when I discovered corolla's require the front bumper off to remove the headlamp. So obviously I only removed some of the retaining screws on the driver side and pulled, dragged and cursed until it came out.

Brought the unit inside, and the amount of play was very obvious, however a method for reducing it was not.

Nightmare visions of hot ovens and melted sealant came to mind, until I noticed an 8mm bolt at the back of the unit. Tightening the bolt pulls the reflector tight to the lamp. Fitting, as the say, is the reverse of removal, including the cursing.

To finish off my night, once everything was back in place, I noticed the adjusting bolt is positioned to allow easy access from inside the engine bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nothing really serious this time, just to look better. ;)

Before:

300271.jpg

300272.jpg

After:

300273.jpg

300274.jpg

Lidl's matte black spray. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Very nice. Looks much better. :)

What a difference new plates maaaake, 24 little euroooos

:pac:

New plates and surrounds. The plates sit into the surrounds so no ugly screw holes are needed.

Front before:

anqj.jpg

Front after:

5bdv.jpg

I copped the new plate was off centre when I uploaded the pics. I'll fix it tomorrow :o

Also, I got excited when the new surrounds arrived so I forgot to take a before shot of the rear. The post office lady hadn't even left the apartment complex when I got to work :D

Anywho, une derrière:

tcuo.jpg

Hmmm, looks off-level :mad:

Will have a proper stab at it tomorrow as I've work shortly. Happy enough with them. Its the little things that make me go :)

Trying to forget a very sad day for me by locking myself in the garage and calibrating a frankenpump of mine

Mark the throttle spindle with the spline on the cradle
    Image1233.jpg

If it's a govmod pump it'll be an utter arse to wiggle the top of the pump off. This pump had a Transit main spring (3mm shim), the new one is shimmed solid....
    Image1234.jpg

The internals aren't as clean as I'd like them but alas they're cleaning well :) it was brown when I first opened the pump when it was standard :mad:
    Image1235.jpg

I always put the cradle on first. That way you know it's actually working the plunger lever.
    Image1236.jpg

Then reassemble the cold start advance, wiggle the cutoff lever past the cradle and tighten the whole lot. Done :cool:

Well, I actually decided to make adjustments to my LDA at the same time :D
    Image1237.jpg

Nice steep ramp.... All that needs done is adjustment on the engine, it'll be set to fly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What a difference new plates maaaake, 24 little euroooos

:pac:

New plates and surrounds. The plates sit into the surrounds so no ugly screw holes are needed.

Front before:

anqj.jpg

Front after:

5bdv.jpg

I copped the new plate was off centre when I uploaded the pics. I'll fix it tomorrow :o

Also, I got excited when the new surrounds arrived so I forgot to take a before shot of the rear. The post office lady hadn't even left the apartment complex when I got to work :D

Anywho, une derrière:

tcuo.jpg

Hmmm, looks off-level :mad:

Will have a proper stab at it tomorrow as I've work shortly. Happy enough with them. Its the little things that make me go :)

Bit of g4 trim restorer would finish that off nicely.

dgt wrote: »
    If it's a govmod pump it'll be an utter arse to wiggle the top of the pump off. This pump had a Transit main spring (3mm shim), the new one is shimmed solid....
    Image1234.jpg

The internals aren't as clean as I'd like them but alas they're cleaning well :) it was brown when I first opened the pump when it was standard :mad:

I always put the cradle on first. That way you know it's actually working the plunger lever.

Then reassemble the cold start advance, wiggle the cutoff lever past the cradle and tighten the whole lot. Done :cool:

Well, I actually decided to make adjustments to my LDA at the same time :D

Nice steep ramp.... All that needs done is adjustment on the engine, it'll be set to fly ;)

Am I right in thinking the one on the right give you more pull on the govenor to close the control sleeve?

Interslice wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the one on the right give you more pull on the govenor to close the control sleeve?

Spot on :cool: It allows more travel of the plunger than standard and also doesn't let the sleeve go back till much later in the rpm range. This one is shimmed solid so no travel, full fuelling with no cutoff through all throttle positions and revs.... The previous gov worked well, but began to cut the fuel about the 4k mark no matter what positions I tried it with :(

In other terms, it will rev very freely now, but I don't want it to rev too high. 5k is plenty, maybe 5.2k afterwards

Bit of g4 trim restorer would finish that off nicely.

Oh I know but the rear bumper needs a full re-spray first which will be done shortly. There's a really nasty scrape on the near side corner that's just out of the shot. Previous owners bad driving I might add :P Will have that sorted first along with one or two other little scrapes and will get to detailing then. She'll be as fresh as a daisy for the summer :D

Spot on :cool: It allows more travel of the plunger than standard and also doesn't let the sleeve go back till much later in the rpm range. This one is shimmed solid so no travel, full fuelling with no cutoff through all throttle positions and revs.... The previous gov worked well, but began to cut the fuel about the 4k mark no matter what positions I tried it with :(

In other terms, it will rev very freely now, but I don't want it to rev too high. 5k is plenty, maybe 5.2k afterwards

Got ye. Hard to get your head around it just looking at the diagrams. Been looking into mTDI buzz lately. Need to get my hands on a pump to properly understand it all.

• Advertisement

Got ye. Hard to get your head around it just looking at the diagrams. Been looking into mTDI buzz lately. Need to get my hands on a pump to properly understand it all.

There's a good book here, it's the official Bosch book, that's the starting point. Pump is next, once you strip one down you'll see it all and put it all together :D

That pump has a good few tricks, it's shimmed in various places (timing advance, plunger, gov for example) LDA mod, bigger plunger etc. Took a while to get it where it is but was worth it :D

mTDI-ing a Golf/HDI? You'll need to rework the injectors and need a large enough plunger...! I have some DI camdiscs if you need them, think they're 3.3mm lift :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

There's a good book here, it's the official Bosch book, that's the starting point. Pump is next, once you strip one down you'll see it all and put it all together :D

That pump has a good few tricks, it's shimmed in various places (timing advance, plunger, gov for example) LDA mod, bigger plunger etc. Took a while to get it where it is but was worth it :D

mTDI-ing a Golf/HDI? You'll need to rework the injectors and need a large enough plunger...! I have some DI camdiscs if you need them, think they're 3.3mm lift :)

You link to the book is giving me a :

Peu404vitfr.jpg

404 not found on the link. Just the standard bosch manual is it? Read thought loads before but mostly looking a the tdi version. Need to blend the two now:).

Have plans to build an audi franken car with a franken pump. Will be a while yet though. Just doing up a plan at the minute, trying to figure the handiest way of doing it.

You mean loosen the injectors a bit? Do you've a pop tester?
    That pump has a good few tricks, it's shimmed in various places (timing advance, plunger, gov for example) LDA mod, bigger plunger etc. Took a while to get it where it is but was worth it

Didn't realise you'd done so much to it. A little more than turning the screws ;)

404 not found on the link. Just the standard bosch manual is it? Read thought loads before but mostly looking a the tdi version. Need to blend the two now:).

Have plans to build an audi franken car with a franken pump. Will be a while yet though. Just doing up a plan at the minute, trying to figure the handiest way of doing it.

You mean loosen the injectors a bit? Do you've a pop tester?

Yeah it's the bosch manual alright, pity about the broken link though!

Ah an Audi, if it were a HDi you'd have to rework the injectors to accept the fuel. That's not overly difficult so!

Try look for a pump with the larger driveshaft (17mm vs 20mm) it'll handle the DI pressures better than the smaller shaft. Personally I'd look for pumps with a 11mm+ head.... Here's a site with a list of pumps :)

As for an mTDI Audi, this chap walks you through it. I prob should have put you on the first part but hes building the pump in this part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I solved my engine power down low issue. By firing a piston/rod through the side of the engine at 80mph. That engine will never have another problem.

I donno exactly what broke but its running on 1 or 2 cylinders and making a noise like something going up and down outside the engine. All oil out and loads of broken alu in the plastic stone protector tray.

on good news im buying a new one. Engines are 2500 ish fitted and im suspicious of the dmf too. Windscreen could do with being changed. Back locks. Etc. Id decided its unviable.

5 year warranty has my eye turned. And starting from a perfect van. No more wondering is this part iffy or not.

Just another day here

Cleaning the injector lines
    Image1238.jpg

Considering the head was clapped onto the block with no flywheel, I had to reset the timing on the engine. So on with the crank pulley and off with the camshaft. The off with the pulley to put on new seals
    Image1239.jpg

New seals :cool:
    Image1240.jpg

Here I've the pulley on. Lining up the camshaft with it's locking hole and locking the flywheel with a screwdriver after rotating it with no camshaft.
    Image1241.jpg

Don't forget to clean up the journals again and re-oil them
    Image1242.jpg

Then torque the whole lot down properly
    Image1243.jpg

Did the sprocket too, cam cover is also on with a new rubber seal. Then I had to feck off, I might have the engine fully built up later this evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Started the service on the Croma this morning... Put it on the ramps and took the under tray off. Went into the shed to get tools. Missed the step on the way out of the shed, fell over and broke my ankle. Spent the rest of the day in A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just another day here

Cleaning the injector lines

Did the sprocket too, cam cover is also on with a new rubber seal. Then I had to feck off, I might have the engine fully built up later this evening :)

You have me confused. How many cars/engines are you working on. When day you are stripping a alfa next your fixing another. Some days your talking about fixing your peugeot. And I do not even know what car engine you are working on in the above post.:confused:

Fair play to you anyway. Wish i could work on my car the way you do yours.

You have me confused. How many cars/engines are you working on. When day you are stripping a alfa next your fixing another. Some days your talking about fixing your peugeot. And I do not even know what car engine you are working on in the above post.:confused:

This is a question that many people have tried to answer, many of them haven't returned.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you anyway. Wish i could work on my car the way you do yours.

I'm working on too much stuff at once....! I'll be on about the 406 in here most, as it is was soon to be my daily driver again. The 156's can now be confined to the projects forum as they are project cars..... The odd time I might post some stuff for the parent's cars (although the father does his own work on a whole different level to me if you thought I was bad, that's his Merc in the first pic for example)

I might even start rambling on about GTV's someday in here :pac:

That be the XUD I'm putting into the 406 soon enough in the above post, just the red cam cover is from another engine :)

I also forgot to mention I got a £6 air filter and installed it on a whim in Newry today for the Bravo. Twas near enough the miles to change it anyway :)

Haven't got anything else done this evening unfortunately due to other stuff in the background. Have to collect my winnings in Mayo tomorrow, a day off.... Sort of ;)

Advertisement