Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dgt wrote: »
    Have to collect my winnings in Mayo tomorrow.

What did you win? I live in Mayo. Great place. As a garda once said to me in Galway(after getting into a bit of bother) go back to them hills in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What did you win? I live in Mayo. Great place. As a garda once said to me in Galway(after getting into a bit of bother) go back to them hills in Mayo.

I'll be in the Newport area, look out for a white 01MH Daily van and trailer

I won a key part to the 156 build ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it another 156?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'll be in the Newport area, look out for a white 01MH Daily van and trailer

That's a long way from me. I'm near the Galway/Roscommon border.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it another 156?

Nah I still have 1 more donor to go through, I said nothing about it :pac:

3.0 engine :cool:
    That's a long way from me. I'm near the Galway/Roscommon border.

I'll prob be going that way, have to go through Roscommon anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ooh. Must be a 166 or a gtv so.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ooh. Must be a 166 or a gtv so.

It's a 166, hope to recoup the cost of the car by selling on the ICS., a few other bits and scrapping the car.. It was very reasonably priced!

I'm looking at shoehorning in the 166 seats into the 406, yep thats a spoiler alert :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

You have me confused. How many cars/engines are you working on. When day you are stripping a alfa next your fixing another. Some days your talking about fixing your peugeot. And I do not even know what car engine you are working on in the above post.:confused:

Fair play to you anyway. Wish i could work on my car the way you do yours.

Most appropriate username/post combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Thanks to vectra I now have the needle sweep enabled on start up.

IMG_20140329_182800_zps0g66efst.jpg

Also changed all headliner lights, boot, glove box, footwells go LEDs. Look much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I got another crankcase breather kit installed in my yoke today, 150 quid, ouchies, on friday its getting a throttle body fitted and then my cruise control will work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I finished replacing the pads on my car today. All EBC red stuff now. Lovely smell of "new pad" after a few hard-braking maneuvers to remove the glaze on them!

Also got these struts installed by SF3 engineering:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

BMW E60 halogen headlights to xenon headlights...

A bit of custom wiring in order to get them fully functional and error free.

1.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG

Xenon headlight on the left and halogen still on the right

6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG

All good

9.JPG
    10.JPG

I have a final year project report to write up. It's due on Wednesday. I've a good bit to do still.

So f*ck that and onto my engine :cool:

Pump on, connected up and static advanced 5 degrees from standard
    Image1250.jpg

Which meant I had to re-time the pump when it was on. Not to worry, out with the VW driveshaft bolt and Fiat bolt locking tools :pac:
    Image1251.jpg

This was a right shnake to get on but eventually coaxed onto the cogs
    Image1252.jpg

Now loosen that tensioner and let the plunger spring do it's business. 13mm bolt + nut
    Image1253.jpg

Important to rotate the engine twice to check the path of the belt/is anything in the way/is it out of time. I checked the timing twice, perfect on both times
    Image1254.jpg

I hate tippex on the covers, so out with he thinners and off you go
    Image1255.jpg

Discovered I had a BE4 box too.... Hmmmmm
    Image1256.jpg

This is where most of my time on this engine goes: cleaning it up. Covers now on, looks well
    Image1257.jpg

A bit to do before it goes into the car
    • Manifolds
    • Turbo pipework (more turbo adjustment too)
    • Wax stat
    • Aux bracket
    • Engine loom
    • Bleed off pipes
    • Swap steady mount
    • Fill with oil
    • Couple of jubilee clips

I'll be starting it on the ground too, be grand sure :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

20jr2pw.jpg

Forgot to upload the other day, got remote locking installed.

EDIT:

Just to add in, I got nice xenon lights today, pain in the arse to put in , can't comment on them yet as it's too bright out :p
    Also got black door protectors, really nice touch IMO and covers up tiny tiny signs of wear anyway as a bonus.
    Changed the old style wipers to brand new flat blades, much better job, no squeekiness :D

Got my interior bulbs sent to me too but it was the wrong size they sent!! Emailed them and they sent out another set straight away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I put the chrome on the mondeo today. I really like it, easy enough to put on and looks well!

Nevermind the dirt on the car, was washed on Sunday fyi :P

Before
    2qmdu7s.jpg

After (the rear quarter piece wasn't on in this pic)
    9tix68.jpg

16ibjmw.jpg

Makes a big impact for 21 yoyo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Lowered my Civic today, looks the business...

Shame I had to take all the rocks out when I got home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

How did it cost so little?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Is a be4 box good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

How did it cost so little?

Two strips 2.45m by 2.1cm for about €8 on ebay, needed two of them and postage, came to just over €21!

This was the stuff
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-1CM-CHROME-CAR-DETAIL-STYLING-STRIP-TRIM-ADHESIVE-FP-/120485017633?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c0d777821

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Two strips 2.45m by 2.1cm for about €8 on ebay, needed two of them and postage, came to just over €21!

This was the stuff
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-1CM-CHROME-CAR-DETAIL-STYLING-STRIP-TRIM-ADHESIVE-FP-/120485017633?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c0d777821

Not bad, I thought I was looking at actually chrome trim replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Okay maybe not so much what I did today but in the last week. Decided to spray a few parts. Never done it before.
    DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

I know it's not to everyones taste but I love the M3 GT look so I went with a replica of that. I sprayed it all myself so as you may imagine it looks fairly ****e but I plan to get the whole car resprayed at some stage anyway so I used it as a learning experience. I'll get away with it for now.

Also think I'm going to redy the interior black.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I love the M3 GT look id do the same myself if I still had my e36s:cool: love the e34 m5 rims too that car is class.. boards needs more DTM stuff like this:D:D

there is now a motors projects forum if your want to throw up a few more old pics etc feel free;)

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Parcel 1 of 2 arrived from China.
    "Original" im sure
    IMAG1041.jpg

Chrome Pedals and a 2nd bag hook for the boot
    IMAG1042.jpg

2nd bag hook for the boot, no problem
    IMAG1052.jpg

Pedals before:
    IMAG1045.jpg

Half way:
    IMAG1050.jpg

Disaster!
    IMAG1049.jpg

And the foot rest doesn't fit either (not as bothered about that). Im guessing its because these are all LHD, and the car is RHD.

Considering the real deal accelerator pedal is about €150 (1 complete piece, including electrics), and I cant find a pedal to match my shape, im wondering is it an option to have someone fabricate the pedal for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Can you not just turn the metal one around and put the rubber through from the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I got caught last week with the same thing but for a footrest. Thankfully the seller was nice and told me!

Some stuff from last night

Making new bleed off pipes
    Image1258.jpg

For the eagle eyed, I wasn't happy wit the vacuum pump (bendix) so I swapped it for a Bosch one I had lying about. Bendix was goldy coloured, Bosh is silver

Manifold studs fitted
    Image1259.jpg

Fit the inlet mani and turbo :cool:
    Image1260.jpg

Then all that was left was to fit the aux bracket. Considering the Citroen engine was stink, I used one I found in the bamboo.... Cleaned up, bolted on and the pump/alternator fitted :cool:
    Image1261.jpg

I need a new aux belt tensioner, power steering pipe and it's ready to go :D

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Can you not just turn the metal one around and put the rubber through from the other side?

No. The metal isnt chromey on the other side. And the edges are all tapered to fit around the pedal, and most crucially, the angle of the chrome pedal between the long side and the point is obtuse, but the one on my car pedal is acute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

2qwioo8.jpg

Door Protectors

24fn42e.jpg

Flat blades put on.

Shiney!!

I put the chrome on the mondeo today. I really like it, easy enough to put on and looks well!

Nevermind the dirt on the car, was washed on Sunday fyi :P

Before

After (the rear quarter piece wasn't on in this pic)

Did you find it difficult to cut to size or such, at all? (ie; does it look 'DIYed'? Are the edges all jagged and such or does it look like an official product?)
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I started (with much sorrow) the process of removing a few extra bhp. I had installed on the gti, off come the Gulf stripes and on to bigger projects......DSC_3031_zps1fqwxpsy.jpg

Advertisement