Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Taxed the car online for another three months, just have to wait for it to be sent out by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Not today but sometime during the night... Had the colt parked outside the driveway and some fúcker from across the road reversed into it leaving a small dent on the back left. Can't exactly pin the blame on anyone though, i'll be looking for some marks on their cars when they're home this evening to see if I can suss it out. Whoever it was I hope they have a miserable day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

rizzee wrote: »
    Not today but sometime during the night... Had the colt parked outside the driveway and some fúcker from across the road reversed into it leaving a small dent on the back left. Can't exactly pin the blame on anyone though, i'll be looking for some marks on their cars when they're home this evening to see if I can suss it out. Whoever it was I hope they have a miserable day.

I feel your pain. Irresponsible cretins are never short in supply, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Sorry to hear that Rizzee there are some ignorant ba5tards around and i hope you find the culprit:mad: .cctv maybe?

Today I taxed my new-ish suzuki and fitted some 4x100 15inch spoon rep wheels I piced up last week to replace my dated loooking Momo ferrari s which are now for sale on adverts;)

Thanks!

Nah no CCTV, I live in a housing estate so nothing about unfortunately. Ah well, live and learn, won't be parking it out on the drive from now on!

• Advertisement

shame about that /? hope you catch the culprit, has happened to me too many times over the years esp in shoppping center carparks

davycc wrote: »
    shame about that /? hope you catch the culprit, has happened to me too many times over the years esp in shoppping center carparks

Yeah it's unfortunate! :mad: Too many idiots pulling out too quick, not looking where they're going, judging distances correctly etc...

Think i'll wash the car, get rid of all the bird shíte so I don't feel as bad :D

yea im doing the same great way of getting rid of some stress and my car has 6months worth of dirt and dust on her.

might as well make the most of this good weather like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So today I was bored/annoyed from last nights events with the 9-5 misfiring, and going into limp mode, and not starting up again, again cheers to the guy who towed me the hundred meters or so back home, So I decided to change the crankshaft positioning sensor myself because I was bored, and i can't afford to get a mechanic to do it

Cps sensors are apparently a common enough part to break on 9-5 around the 100K mark along with a few other bits, so I'll probably replace them too

So the cps sensor is located at the front of the engine block just beside the gearbox and its covered by a tiny little heat shield with one one screw, get a t30 bit at it and loosen it enough to undo it by hand, what i done was made up a good long extension and dropped it down the front, with the help of brother pickles and undone it that way

rkbm89.jpg

e0o86r.jpg

So once you have the shield off you're left with this

2evrdyb.jpg

Simply pull it out and that's the easy part done :pac: Also stick your finger in and pull out the old o-ring too, forget this and you're gona have a bad time

10wpqmt.jpg

After the sensor is out retrace where it connects to, it should follow a path along a pipe and up to a terminal at the back of the engine bay, it's clipped in with a metal bracket of sorts to the pipe so remove that

2889pq1.jpg

Then follow it back to the terminal

2rndci9.jpg

Disconnect it and that's that done!

2vs0qw3.jpg
    Then pull it all out!

The old sensor

213rqm1.jpg

2w7rbdi.jpg

Looks a bit rusted! It's seen better days anyway that's for sure

And the new one

13z5wz8.jpg

Then do the above in reverse, when you're fitting the sensor make sure you hear it click into position otherwise it's not in right, feed it back up to the terminal and then clip it back to the hose, connect it at the terminal and reconnect the little heat shield, again using the help of brother pickles/ and or loved one/ friend

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So today I was bored/annoyed from last nights events with the 9-5 misfiring, and going into limp mode, and not starting up again, again cheers to the guy who towed me the hundred meters or so back home, So I decided to change the crankshaft positioning sensor myself because I was bored, and i can't afford to get a mechanic to do it

Cps sensors are apparently a common enough part to break on 9-5 around the 100K mark along with a few other bits, so I'll probably replace them too

Then do the above in reverse, when you're fitting the sensor make sure you hear it click into position otherwise it's not in right, feed it back up to the terminal and then clip it back to the hose, connect it at the terminal and reconnect the little heat shield, again using the help of brother pickles/ and or loved one/ friend

Job done!

Did it fix the car problem you had?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Did it fix the car problem you had?

I don't know I havent started the car yet, in no hurry to either, I'm getting a compression test done this evening just to see, it probably hasn't totally fixed it, but it's half the battle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Four Vredestein Ultrac Vortis arrived today, looking forward to getting them on. Bloody expensive but worth it I hope, the worn Pirellis on the rear have lost traction countless times.

t1_zpsc170579c.jpg

t2_zpscc16fb07.jpg

A lot of rubber!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Is it 275 on the back and 245 on the front? That the stock setup?

Yup. Was 255 and 235 on the E38. Pain in the ass matching tyres though. Was forward and back with Camskill for four days trying to find a matching set in the correct size.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

You won't be disappointed. I've ultrac sessantas on my bm and they're great so their bigger brother should be even better!

Need new rears and deciding wether to go sessanta again or go the extra few quid and go for the vorti, let us know what you think of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Ultrac's i have seem fine too not up to the Eagle F1 standard though on turn in

BillJ wrote: »
    You won't be disappointed. I've ultrac sessantas on my bm and they're great so their bigger brother should be even better!

Need new rears and deciding wether to go sessanta again or go the extra few quid and go for the vorti, let us know what you think of them

Will do.
    Ultrac's i have seem fine too not up to the Eagle F1 standard though on turn in

I wanted the F1s, weren't in stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those tires are huge! I'm looking forward to my new set soon, 235 at the rear will have to do me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Four Vredestein Ultrac Vortis arrived today, looking forward to getting them on. Bloody expensive but worth it I hope, the worn Pirellis on the rear have lost traction countless times.

A lot of rubber!

Where did you get them - find camskill are now one of the dearer online tyre retailers when you factor in the postage to ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

That accelerator cable was a right arse

Nearing the halfway point
    Image1265.jpg

That lump of string again! Makes installation.... A bit easier
    Image1266.jpg

Jack of all trades kit
    Image1267.jpg

It's in. Note the engine had to be lowered and a plastic panel removed to gain access! :mad:
    Image1268.jpg

Needs fine tuning but a working accelerator is better than none. Also sorted my broken bonnet lifter. Yaaay!

• Advertisement

Where did you get them - find camskill are now one of the dearer online tyre retailers when you factor in the postage to ROI

Camskill. They've good communication which is key with staggered tyres and shipment is super quick, 2 working days this time.

dgt wrote: »
    That accelerator cable was a right arse

And they say it's the drive by wire that's unreliable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

Today I jumpstated my car at home,
    Drove for 30 minutes brought it to be tested and had to buy a new battery.
    Then I had to buy WD40 on my way to college to free my bootlock
    It's days likes this that make me want to sell the heap !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Interslice wrote: »
    Is it 275 on the back and 245 on the front? That the stock setup?

Ive 275 rears and 245 fronts on my e38 and it handles very well, havent done a lot of miles but a noticable improvement in look and feel over the stock 235 / 255 setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

BMW e92 sound system upgrade, very nice interior combo, fairplay to its owner

The kits, 4 channels amp (Front and rear speakers) and 2 channels amp for the underseat woofers.

Tweeters installation (Car did not come with tweeters, lacking a few details obviously), speakers all around upgraded to Gladen 4", component on the front, coax 2 ways on the back.

1.JPG

9.JPG

23.JPG

27.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

2 ways coax for the rear panel

37.JPG

38.JPG

New dedicated underseat woofers wires

39.JPG

40.JPG

42.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

52.JPG

Too nice a day today for college stuff so off came the dodgy caliper.

After a quick wire wheel treatment with the drill I hooked it up to an old foot pump.
    28814sh.jpg

No need for a compressor for this bit but it would have been handy for cleaning out the cylinder.
    some video action

It's been dodgy a while, the nick in the dust seal has been there at least 2 years. This brake was at about 80% of the effort of the other front in the last DOE and I could hear it sticking on a bit when driving.

2hd8qk5.jpg

At first I thought the caliper itself might be a goner and I didn't like the look of the piston either but the corrosion hadn't passed the square seal, just brake dust and other dirt.

2e32813.jpg
    142sq4n.jpg

Plenty of dirt embedded behind the seal.
    15s924i.jpg

I cleaned out the grooves for the seals with a small little brass wheel for a rotary tool, methalated spirits and cut up strips of a green kitchen scrubber. Took about 2 hours to get them looking OK. Small bit of pitting where the dust seal sits on the piston but the rest turned out well.

27zxac5.jpg

2w4jv2v.jpg

Stuck it all back to together with two new seals. They were 18 quid off the dealer. A refurbed caliper was looking at about 130 euro.

This is a good video. Shows the technique for getting the dust seal back on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcClOfFmlg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Great money saving work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Needed to give the wheels a cleaning:
    Before:
    DSC_3038_zpsfjj3vzxi.jpg
    DSC_3036_zpsrj0vennt.jpg

And clean:
    DSC_3039_zpsqhcrbija.jpg
    DSC_3040_zpsjsvpvjqy.jpg

Not perfect but compared to what they were like:DSC_3041_zpspt8uom8o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Went about repairing a few scratches that have appeared on the car lately.
    Most likely due to a diversion from roadworks down narrow lanes in my area.

Anyway, here's a shot of a couple of deep enough ones (there are worse :eek:) that I tackled tonight.

303429.jpg

I hope to get them all out over the next couple of nights. This is the after shot of them gone :)

303430.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's class what'd you use to do that?!

I refilled my coolant today, after spilling it all over the road due to a poorly connected expansion tank hose. Here's hoping the rest of the system is up to scratch!

Advertisement