Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

That's class what'd you use to do that?!

I refilled my coolant today, after spilling it all over the road due to a poorly connected expansion tank hose. Here's hoping the rest of the system is up to scratch!

I know Autoglym is not pro stuff and is kind of sneered around these parts, but I use nothing else and get great results (To me anyway :))

Literally just used Autoglym's paint restorer (Medium to high abrasive polish)

A microfibre and ten minutes of my time seen that section of door mint once again :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

tossy wrote: »
    Picked up a can of that 'plastidip' type stuff last week from cardipuk.com and decided to do the lower grille on the front as the are a kind of grey colour and don't really match the wrapped door blades and rear insert.

the Stuff...
    IMG_3099.jpg

Nice job, was shipping much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

MarkR wrote: »

I think you'd be better off going for the real deal - plastidip. I don't think this stuff is much/any cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Clean car do plastidip too, shipping might be a bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I bought mine from ukdip on ebay as clean car had none in stock for ages. Not sure if they do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

YbFocus wrote: »
    Great money saving work :)

Hopefully, it's still a bit noisy at low speeds but a different sort of noise :(. I'll have a look at it again tomorrow. Maybe the disk warped or might have to get a new piston :confused:. The piston did feel a little sticky winding it back in. The finish on it isn't perfect. There's a lad up in Navan on adverts selling the pistons for 25 quid so not the end of the world if I need that or a new disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Gave my calipers some beautification :)
    Before:
    DSC_3037_zpsuyugovou.jpg
    After:
    DSC_3046_zpsfojskqro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

MarkR wrote: »
    I bought it at a car show up north last week.
    GvidoR wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off going for the real deal - plastidip. I don't think this stuff is much/any cheaper.

I compared the finish of this stuff to the finish of plastidip on another stand at the show and i couldn't tell them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just finished changing my oil / filter. The oil was blacker than I thought. I also resealed my pollen filter cowel. Next job cv joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Noticed water in the front foglight today.
    Had a look on the web and I think there is a plastic glass like thing as part of the bumper in front of the foglight so I wont need to change it just need to get at it dry it out and get some tiger seal or silica gel.

• Advertisement

Changed the fuel filter and pollen filter. Also hit my fuel pump a few belts of a hammer and got rid of the lumpy warm idle :).
    34zajux.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Skoda filter?

dgt wrote: »
    Skoda filter?

Probably fits a load of VPTDI stuff.

OE numbers
    - FORD : 1022920 - 95VW 9150 BB
    - VOLKSWAGEN : 1H0 127 401 C - 1H0 127 401 G
    - OTHER BRANDS : AK 14-DB
    - DAF : 1500574

1H0 127 401 C is me. For the 2.5 tdi in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Did the 740s first service last night. Started around 9pm, finished at 1am. :o

Those damn spark plugs, never did them on a V8 before and they are an absolute bastard to get at. The ones by the firewall are essentially impossible to do with normal spark tools, I had to experiment with different sockets/extensions/ratchets to get in there.
    From the spark plug hole entrance to the shock tower is about 3 inches. And the spark plugs are a good 8 inches down there. Do the maths!

My faith in the service history of this car continues to waiver. It came with no invoices, but a filled out service booklet with genuine stamps and ticks next to what was done.

Apparently, the oil below is about 750 miles old, the microfilters are 10k miles old and air filter and spark plugs are 3400 miles old. Judge for yourself below.

This little lot was €390.
    IMG_22661_zpse189e0e9.jpg

IMG_22672_zps6693bf68.jpg

Oil first:
    IMG_22694_zps5252010a.jpg

IMG_22683_zpsa673da0e.jpg

IMG_22737_zpseb63da13.jpg

IMG_22748_zps2246a34a.jpg

Air filter:
    IMG_22705_zps166c3699.jpg

IMG_22726_zps91695d5f.jpg

Microfilters:
    IMG_22759_zpsb72ab9ec.jpg

IMG_227610_zps1550bc62.jpg

IMG_227711_zps425acfd4.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a bonnet service mode like there was on the E38, so had to improvise with the struts removed:
    IMG_228114_zpsd96d241f.jpg

Spark plug fun begins:
    IMG_228013_zps943d89ef.jpg

IMG_228215_zps9979fc9c.jpg

IMG_228316_zpse62a9b44.jpg

Old and new:
    IMG_227912_zps76e189d4.jpg

Tackling the fuel filter was a right pain as well, the undercarriage trays are so large there's 15-20 screws holding them in place:
    IMG_228417_zps1306a7bf.jpg

Brake fluid and coolant will be done soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Great pics and posts as always Voodoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id always fully service something after I buy it. Its almost always lies

I'd add about 10k miles or so to your figures above. Them back plugs sound/look like a right pig of a job. Do you have UJ's for your extension?

I do believe the oil was changed during the "fix" of the smoking, it could well be that black after such short miles. But not a chance were the microfilters/air filter/plugs done recently.

I remember my previous cars filters looking like new after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

No pain no glory Voodoomelon

• Advertisement

I do believe the oil was changed during the "fix" of the smoking, it could well be that black after such short miles. But not a chance were the microfilters/air filter/plugs done recently.

I remember my previous cars filters looking like new after 2 years.

The last change may have just cleared out a load of crap. Probably start to clean up with regular changes of good oil.

I'm thinking the same, would have been a lot of carbon in there. No Ujs, just standard straight extensions, got the hang of a good technique half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Installed my new tax disc.
    Uqw8NIW.jpg
    Paying for it was unpleasant though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I dont know if it is a good idea to put up your tax disc here. Is it not asking for your car to be cloned?

Let's not forget the rage he's inciting with an annual €385 tax bill. :mad::pac:

I dont know if it is a good idea to put up your tax disc here. Is it not asking for your car to be cloned?

Havn't a clue but I've removed it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

nd wrote: »
    Havn't a clue but I've removed it, thanks :)

I don't know why people worry about that so much. You would post a pic of it with the reg showing wouldn't you? and the tax disc shows less information than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,294 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I drive around all the time with a washcloth covering my license plate, shurre they would all want to be cloning it and look at how poor dolly the sheep turned out ?

Hah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

That smiley face needs more smiley! :D

I've got tax and insurance next month. Fun times! :pac:

• Advertisement

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I don't know why people worry about that so much. You would post a pic of it with the reg showing wouldn't you? and the tax disc shows less information than that.

yeah i'm not, I suppose it has codes ect, but I'm not worried about clones and I imagine it'd be revenues problem rather than mine in any event.

But am too lazy to unremove it again!

Advertisement