Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I don't know why people worry about that so much. You would post a pic of it with the reg showing wouldn't you? and the tax disc shows less information than that.

From his pic i know it is a 1.4 corolla and have a tax disc to print from his photo to put on the windscreen. The tax disc has the reg no which i can use to make plates.

Not saying it is likely but dont leave yourself open to it either. This kinda reminds me of when Jeremey Clarkson put his bank account details in the paper for all to see and he then got scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

From his pic i know it is a 1.4 corolla and have a tax disc to print from his photo to put on the windscreen. The tax disc has the reg no which i can use to make plates.

Not saying it is likely but dont leave yourself open to it either. This kinda reminds me of when Jeremey Clarkson put his bank account details in the paper for all to see and he then got scammed.

just as lightly to happen when parking it in any public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

No as if you park your car in a public place someone has to go to the bother of making notes. Here it is all supplied for the car cloner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Some tinkering around to see what temporary wheels will fit for a few days whilst mine are off getting refurbed. The 16" multi-spokes won't fit over the brakes at all. Five spokes 17"s fit and ride is good with DSC lights galore, but will do the job.

w1_zps5a2fc98a.jpg

w2_zpsdff04e4d.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone with vcds around athlone? Mine decided to pack it in half way through the day today. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

That just looks so wrong. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

During the time of my "holiday" I did some stuff:

From this:
    1505140_10152347781559528_810290540_n.jpg

To this:
    10001365_10152349876984528_1559001389_n.jpg

Good shot of the new interior..
    1932376_10152349876869528_878764517_n.jpg

And finally the new bootlid
    970730_10152347781564528_534060996_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Someone will come to view that skoda and think **** lads, the recession has hit this man hard. Hell either feel pity for you and give you the asking or attempt to take you from behind.

Someone will come to view that skoda and think **** lads, the recession has hit this man hard. Hell either feel pity for you and give you the asking or attempt to take you from behind.

Hahaha yeah.. well if that's what it takes to sell it then so be it.

I'll keep my GMC and my zed out of sight so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sure when we went to buy the Carina he turned up in the 535D offering under the asking. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sure when we went to buy the Carina he turned up in the 535D offering under the asking. :pac:

Im sure he offset it with his canadian tuxedo however :p

CianRyan wrote: »

And couldnt keep up with the guy in a toyota hilux!
    (Damn sunny tires and torrential rain. Made that carpark fun though)

Anyone with vcds around athlone? Mine decided to pack it in half way through the day today. :(
    Harcrid wrote: »
    That just looks so wrong. :-)

Really? I don't see it.

Spent 6 hours try to install the reversing camera emblem on the CC today. Its installed, the badge flips when in reverse, but the head unit does nothing.

After install #1 nothing was working. No boot release, no reversing lights, no reversing camera on the display. But I soldiered on, and did the VCDS stuff and updated my CAN Gateway to allow for the Reversing camera, but the reversing camera module couldnt be found.

Install #2 went much better. Boot release worked, reversing lights worked (note to self, boot must be closed for reversing lights to light up), but still no image on the head unit. So back to VCDS..... :mad:

Couldn't connect to the car, not sure if its the car, or the cable, or what. If only I could summon GEORGE DALTON!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Sorry, my reply was to Voodomelon. Those small wheels just look so out of place on his car.

Harcrid wrote: »
    Sorry, my reply was to Voodomelon. Those small wheels just look so out of place on his car.

Its so his speedo say's he's flying it, while hes actually just doing 50kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

So Voodo, the temp ones are 17's :eek: They look tiny! What size rim are the proper ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

They're 20"s. Car was built with 19" wheels, BMW Ireland put the 20"s on at some point apparently. It looks like it's on roller skates with the 17"s. :D

Is it quiet in here, or just me?

Anyways, over the weekend I did this!

Old:
    IMAG1114.jpg
    New:
    IMAG1020.jpg

Some of the process:
    IMAG1097.jpg
    IMAG1098.jpg
    IMAG1100.jpg
    Had to be done:
    IMAG1104.jpg
    Lazy man's fuse wiring
    IMAG1105.jpg
    IMAG1113.jpg
    IMAG1109.jpg

Reward:
    IMAG1106.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

full.png

Looks good! I'm terrified to go near any wires, I'd love a camera in mine though

http://s3.amazonaws.com/stripgenerator/strip/61/36/37/00/00/full.png
    Looks good! I'm terrified to go near any wires, I'd love a camera in mine though

I did a write up over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90031594

It was actually easier than expected. Chasing wires was pretty handy. The only set backs were:
    1. It was all wired up, but didnt work for some still unknown reason
    2. My reversing lights didnt work, turns out they dont work when the boot is open.
    3. I uninstalled it, took it apart, phase tested it all, and reinstalled it again after 1 happened.

If I were to do it on another VW, id say it'd take me 3 hours. Less if its not my car! :pac:

For the Saab, I guess you'd need to upgrade the radio, or get a stand alone screen. The rest would just be chasing wires and installing a camera where the number plate lights are.

• Advertisement

I did a write up over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90031594

It was actually easier than expected. Chasing wires was pretty handy. The only set backs were:
    1. It was all wired up, but didnt work for some still unknown reason
    2. My reversing lights didnt work, turns out they dont work when the boot is open.
    3. I uninstalled it, took it apart, phase tested it all, and reinstalled it again after 1 happened.

If I were to do it on another VW, id say it'd take me 3 hours. Less if its not my car! :pac:

For the Saab, I guess you'd need to upgrade the radio, or get a stand alone screen. The rest would just be chasing wires and installing a camera where the number plate lights are.

Yeah I've dabbled with the though of a touchscreen sorta set up, but the trouble you have to go to rewire it though just isnt worth it

Yeah I've dabbled with the though of a touchscreen sorta set up, but the trouble you have to go to rewire it though just isnt worth it

Hence my love of OEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Its a little ironic that today I've been removing my stereo and reversing camera :D

Top Dog wrote: »
    Its a little ironic that today I've been removing my stereo and reversing camera :D

You're like alternate dimension Black_Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lazy man's fuse wiring
    w401-h709-

Haven't seen that before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

You're like alternate dimension Black_Knight.
    Completely alternate as mine was non-OEM :pac:

I got bored

So here's a post of how to fix dodgy windows! Common enough problem in 9-5's it seems and I'm sure it's similar to other cars so here we go

So get a little flathead screw driver, pry out the coinholder

After this you can simply pop the module out of place, this is a fairly delicate thing so when you're detaching/unclipping plastic from plastic, just mind it incase they break

npm1bq.jpg

And we're out!

9td3b6.jpg

345kcg1.jpg

So I took things inside for the rest, let the module warm up a tad, if you're impatient like me, use a hair dryer on a medium setting

Right, start undoing the clips, on the top cover, the black piece, get a small flathead screwdriver and pry them apart, do one on one side, then the same on the otherside

2rrkwo4.jpg

You should be left with this

b4i6wo.jpg

After this comes another delicate part, take off the buttons, again with your screwdriver you need to pop them off so lift them up, wedge in the screwdriver and gently but persuasively lift them off, if there's bits damaged on them it's ok once the main housing underneath is intact

And here's what lays beneath

rkdmrn.jpg

Now more unclipping, unclip the white piece from the lower black piece using the same method as the first time around, then push the clear block bits out of the housing, you should be left with this

zx8w3p.jpg

I stuck the black lower part back on, it slides back up , as you can work with it on a table then

After this unclip the little clear peices, one side clips out easily enough, you can move it around then until it comes out, i found that by turning them upside down they came out pretty handy

Here's what you should get

344pqau.jpg

Now onto business, these are the things your after, you can clean them with cotton buds or something, but as long as they're clean that's all that matters, and the terminals too obviously

Again with the screwdriver, just lift them out

j6tr0w.jpg

They'l be probably caked in dirt and grime so get a cotton bud, clean it up, and clean the terminal its in, do one at a time and replace them before starting the next one

2v0bqkm.jpg

And one of the terminals

5k1t9v.jpg

After all this put the clean pieces back in, they clip back into place, then the white plastic piece, then the buttons, make sure they're on properly, and last but not least the top black piece, after all this go back out to the car, reconnect it up and test it to see if it works, if it does, you've saved yourself about 100 quid! slot it back in place, put back the coin holder and call it a day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Plenty done, not on my own stuff tough

Keeping in tradition....
    IMG_0693.JPG

The reason
    IMG_0692.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Tiny update. Put this in the Colt. :P

MBNkmpYl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

@GvidoR I'm looking at something similar, cheap and cheerful because of these new laws! Whats the model of yours? How do you find it, is it good quality?

Advertisement