Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

dads car got mildly(ish) rear ended the other week. got the car repaired at our choice of repairer and the other party paid etc.

noticed the number plate lights weren't working yesterday... thought it was the bulb, changed the bulbs and still no go. took out the bulb holder and surround and found this shiiiiit. imagine repairing the rear end (specifically the rear bumper) and re-fitting a knowingly faulty unit with exposed wires hanging out. i assume when the bumper was compressed from the impact it must have shattered the old plug.

went to the local scrap yard and cut the light and plug out of a mk4 golf... got home and cut the shattered plug off and fitted the golf one and hey presto :) (excuse my electrical taping skills, i'm clearly no electrician :pac:)

unnamed_1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed_4.jpg

unnamed_6.jpg

unnamed_3.jpg

unnamed_5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

rizzee wrote: »
    @GvidoR I'm looking at something similar, cheap and cheerful because of these new laws! Whats the model of yours? How do you find it, is it good quality?

It's called Kit: Easy Talk (bteasy)

Just got it today, but seems to work quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

rizzee wrote: »
    @GvidoR I'm looking at something similar, cheap and cheerful because of these new laws! Whats the model of yours? How do you find it, is it good quality?

What are the new laws about when it comes to using a phone in the car. Can you still use the plug in ear phones with the built in speaker ? I have a bluetooth kit in the golf one of the standard nokia one but it doesn't seem to be getting power and doesn't work it's probably something simple as the previous owner said it did work with his iPhone. It's just to know where to start with the troubleshooting on them phone kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Im lucky the new van I bought Saturday has built in bluetooth. Its top class

Was already in court this year over phone.

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Im lucky the new van I bought Saturday has built in bluetooth. Its top class

Was already in court this year over phone.

Did you go with a new primastar after or what did you pick ? Well wear btw.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    Did you go with a new primastar after or what did you pick ? Well wear btw.

Went for the new renault and had to tell them sod off after dealer changed finance rate 3 times and when I went to pick it up he still hadnt it nailed down or had any documents but "its registered in your name you can take it away and sort the details after" thats when I told him he could keep it.

winsor were much much better. They did everything they could and got me a van and finance whole lot in under a week. ( agreed Monday lunchtime, driving Saturday morning even though it was good Friday and bank hol weekend)

So ended up with a white nissan primastar 115 comfortline. And turns out the nissan is better specced than the renault.

Love it. Everything works. Really everything.

Only thing is the brembo brakes I fitted to the old are better than the new ones. I may swap them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Had some serious rain over easter, passenger front and rear foot-wells flooded :mad:

Suspected failed vapour seals behind the door cards. resealed with a heat gun. Checked all drain holes engine bay and AC system.....

A71B9970-9074-40B7-86AC-5D4EDA9A19C5_zps9nligc1z.jpg

FE6A2921-92F6-482A-B582-6DBCC4317DC3_zpszo5fzuvk.jpg

De humidifier running for 48 hours to dry it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

not today though ... few days ago... what i did to my car ?? Got rid of it :D , bye bye my toyota avensis , and hello diesel vw passat (01 though) , love it ...

i dont know whoever remember me saying good while ago, that if I am going divorce from my wife, ill goin get toyota mr2 ??? .. .so ... instead ive driving passat, with avf engine code, and suspect that last owner did chiptuning ... at least my friends say so .... it is flying !!!! ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Decided to tackle my front bumper reinforcement bar, which had recently been used for its intended purpose (bumping things)

First job was to remove light clusters, although the drivers side proved tricky due to the new bumper shape.

Step 2, undo fastners in the wheel arch connecting bumper to wheel arch and body.

Step 3, remove airbox section below the filter to expose the second of two mounting bolts for the bumper.

Step4, remove mounting bolts. Bumper should now simply pull away from the body.

Step 5, use my newly bought slide hammer to pull bumper bar forward.

Step 6, curse and kick my car as I realise that my plan is not going to work.

Step 7, drive around country lanes with a ratchet strap looking for a big tree.

Step 8, meet a very helpful fella, who brought me up to his farm yard, put his oxy-acetyl torch to the bumper bar, then used his baling straps to wrap the bumper to a length of box iron concreted into his yard

Step 9, reverse car until the bar looks relatively straight.

Refitting, as they say, is the reverse of removal. Now hoping that when I go to get the lights aligned it will have worked.

UPDATE: lamps aligned, NCT here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Long time overdue upgrade...

DSC_1084.JPG
    DSC_1085.JPG
    DSC_1087.JPG
    DSC_1089.JPG
    DSC_1094.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Mar4ix wrote: »
    not today though ... few days ago... what i did to my car ?? Got rid of it :D , bye bye my toyota avensis , and hello diesel vw passat (01 though) , love it ...

i dont know whoever remember me saying good while ago, that if I am going divorce from my wife, ill goin get toyota mr2 ??? .. .so ... instead ive driving passat, with avf engine code, and suspect that last owner did chiptuning ... at least my friends say so .... it is flying !!!! ... :D

What size is your wife? Mine fits in my MR2 :)

I done a good bit of work to the golf on Sunday changed the wipers :pac: makes a nice change :) The ones that were on it were very bad specially the back. It took literally less than a minute to do push a button pull out the wiper and slot in the new one. Went all out and got vw ones ended up very reasonable pricewise and so far there great properly clear he rain and the auto wipers work perfect now where as before the wipers weren't clearing the rain and it was confusing the auto system. I think wipers are one of the things that make a big effect on a car and yet everyone seems to never change them.

1C31F170-C995-4455-A2CB-CE3B160AEA66_zpsoa3owz3c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

blackbox wrote: »
    What size is your wife? Mine fits in my MR2 :)

I have no more wife, ( probably best ever thing i done in my life :D ) .....

You must have very tiny wife, mine ex one probably wouldnt fit in to :D

Im contemplating fitting the brembo high carbon discs and pads to the new van. There are better but how do they view it warranty wise.

or just wait out the pads and fit just brembo pads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Im contemplating fitting the brembo high carbon discs and pads to the new van. There are better but how do they view it warranty wise.

What the hell engine does the van have?!

CianRyan wrote: »

115bhp but it's chipped to 300bhp :pac:
    Like something you'd see in a typical donedeal ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Following on from my above post, passed the NCT. Go 15 year old fiestas

115 hp 250 torques.

there a quick van but brakes don't seem to be there strong point. And I like good brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I'd count that an unholy waste of money man!

Edit: I don't know them brakes specifically but if they're a serious setup then you may not get the brakes you desire, due to their need to be really driven and heated to work 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

replaced the buttons on the key today. One fell out a few weeks ago.
    Also replaced the fog lamps in the car as they were full with water.

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »

Well the van is brand new and assuming he is going to keep it a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

If you like the van and you think you will like it more with different brakes belt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

115 hp 250 torques.

there a quick van but brakes don't seem to be there strong point. And I like good brakes

As someone that rides bikes (not motored but... :p ) I appreciate good brakes but jaysus that's overkill. Haha

Edit: I don't know them brakes specifically but if they're a serious setup then you may not get the brakes you desire, due to their need to be really driven and heated to work 100%

Your mixing up your brakes. There not carbon brakes. There high carbon steel discs. And pads are brembos standard pad. None need to be heated to work.

and 2 reasons for.

It'll be a 2.1 ton van when im full of gear etc. Thats alot of stopping if someone pull out in front of ya.

and there more or less brand new sitting in a van with a ****ed engine. So all it costs me is time.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Well the van is brand new and assuming he is going to keep it a while.

Yep 5 years id imagine.

As someone that rides bikes (not motored but... :p ) I appreciate good brakes but jaysus that's overkill. Haha

I think the hints in my name. I know what it feels like to get brake fade in triple figures. Turned the discs red and blue one day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Your mixing up your brakes. There not carbon brakes. There high carbon steel discs. And pads are brembos standard pad. None need to be heated to work.

and 2 reasons for.

It'll be a 2.1 ton van when im full of gear etc. Thats alot of stopping if someone pull out in front of ya.

and there more or less brand new sitting in a van with a ****ed engine. So all it costs me is time.

Ah right, I seen carbon and thought Mr. Cork had lost the run of himself and was getting a composite setup :D

Ah right, I seen carbon and thought Mr. Cork had lost the run of himself and was getting a composite setup :D

No no I wouldn't even put them on the gsxr. The high carbon ones are the next step up from basic discs.
    Sports would be grooved and drilled high carbon. And they start rusting before you get a chance to lock the van

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wheels back from powdercoating... (not me taking the pictures, hence they're shít :D )

5YLcAd.jpg
    6nGryE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

No matter what you drive - you can never have brakes that are too good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Top Dog wrote: »
    No matter what you drive - you can never have brakes that are too good. :)

Well if they're too good on one side and not good enough on the other...... :pac:

Advertisement